[Mod] More Trees! [git][moretrees]

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Well the only mod it depends on aside from default is plantlife. Since other stuff will hopefully come to depend on that mod in the future, it seems wrong to include it with moretrees. Besides, I wrote in the first post that the plantlife mod is a dependency, including a link to the forum page covering it, so people just need to learn to read. :-)

+10000000000 I just learned to read the entire post. ;-)
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

VanessaE wrote:Well the only mod it depends on aside from default is plantlife. Since other stuff will hopefully come to depend on that mod in the future, it seems wrong to include it with moretrees. Besides, I wrote in the first post that the plantlife mod is a dependency, including a link to the forum page covering it, so people just need to learn to read. :-)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You seem to forget the users that can't read a post fully and just "ctrl + f" then type "download".

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Jordach wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You seem to forget the users that can't read a post fully and just "ctrl + f" then type "download".
Wow that is stupid. Do they even read what it is about?
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Well then it's their fault if they're too lazy to also search for "depend". I am not gonna dumb-down my work just for some lazy schmuck who doesn't care to learn a little. :-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

VanessaE wrote:Well then it's their fault if they're too lazy to also search for "depend". I am not gonna dumb-down my work just for some lazy schmuck who doesn't care to learn a little. :-)
+10000000000
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Here are my ideas for spawning trees and some new trees

oaks-on plains a couple per 100 blocks

sequoias-near water but height spawn=20-40

palm-obvious

jungle-same

conifer-same

pine-above 30

birch-above 40

avatar-anywhere, like the giant tree from avatar, one per world, 100 blocks tall*30 blocks wide

underground trees-trees that spawn in caves(really really rare)
Why would birch trees be so high up?

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

birch is in cold
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Since moretrees uses plantlife for its biome controls, then if birch trees require colder temperatures, they should rely on the temperature map in plantlife, rather than just elevation. The temperature map is derived from SPlizard's snow mod, btw.

Trees should use the elevation, temperature, and the general "likely to grow plants here" controls, and nearness to water or sand (or both, e.g. beaches) should also be considered. All of these can be combined to produce unique biomes.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

VanessaE wrote:Well then it's their fault if they're too lazy to also search for "depend". I am not gonna dumb-down my work just for some lazy schmuck who doesn't care to learn a little. :-)
Thank you. Those of us that DO actually read topics before installing something we would otherwise know nothing about appreciate you not dumbing it down.
VanessaE wrote:Since moretrees uses plantlife for its biome controls, then if birch trees require colder temperatures, they should rely on the temperature map in plantlife, rather than just elevation. The temperature map is derived from SPlizard's snow mod, btw.

Trees should use the elevation, temperature, and the general "likely to grow plants here" controls, and nearness to water or sand (or both, e.g. beaches) should also be considered. All of these can be combined to produce unique biomes.
That all sounds great, but it leaves me with a question.

How is temperature defined in Minetest?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

In the snow mod, it's Perlin noise-based. Since snow needs freezing ground in order to stick, I figured the edge of a snow biome is 0°C.

I started with those values in plantlife and then from there, I normalized the coldest temperature to be -25°C (about -13°F) and extended the range the other way as well. This is the resulting range I came up with:

https://github.com/VanessaE/plantlife/b ... I.txt#L509

(See other, earlier parts of the file for the main API info)

So I figure, if you set the temperature limits for a given plant to be some pair of values in the above perlin scale, you're basically saying "this plant needs a temperature of X to grow", in addition to the other controls.

The plantlife mod simply checks these various controls before spawning something, in effect creating active biomes.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

How is progress on this mod as of late? It is sad that this mod doesn't get as much attention as it deserves.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Actually I've been working on it periodically. RBA and I are working together intermittently to put together a full suite of trees. There will be a new update soon that adds the rest. With a little luck, it'll be in a few days.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

I think that you should be able to change temps slightly with torches or fires (not the default one but more like a camp fire) so that we could have tree farms in the mountains.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Spots

by Spots » Post

think you are talking about smudge pot ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smudge_pot ) that might be handy for farming mod also maybe use it to warm and area slightly and speed up the growth rate a tad

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Torches affecting local temperature sounds like a good idea, but I'll have to give some thought as to how to make that work. Patches welcome. :D

queensbury

by queensbury » Post

Every time it tries to spawn a sapling I get this error message. What does it mean?

Final

by Final » Post

queensbury wrote:Every time it tries to spawn a sapling I get this error message. What does it mean?
Getting the very same thing.

Code: Select all

02:31:52: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods
\minetest\moretrees\init.lua:235: attempt to call method 'spawn_tree' (a nil val
ue)
02:31:52: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
Installed mods:

3dforniture\
farming\
farming_plus\
gems\
moreores\
moretrees\
plantlife\
sethome\
throwing\
vines\

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

VanessaE wrote:"half an hour" is why you never saw any trees. They grow very slowly - it takes an hour or more before you start seeing them, and they only appear in certain areas.
I have had the mod installed and running now for 6 hours and although there is a ton of saplings, none have grown into trees that I can see of. How long does it take for these new trees to grow?
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Final wrote:
queensbury wrote:Every time it tries to spawn a sapling I get this error message. What does it mean?

02:31:52: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods
\minetest\moretrees\init.lua:235: attempt to call method 'spawn_tree' (a nil val
ue)
Installed mods:

3dforniture\
farming\
farming_plus\
gems\
moreores\
moretrees\
plantlife\
sethome\
throwing\
vines\
You need to use the latest version from git.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Inocudom wrote:How is progress on this mod as of late? It is sad that this mod doesn't get as much attention as it deserves.
Yes, moretrees is awesome, but it makes sense that it isn't getting much attention. I doesn't run on stable Minetest, after all. I imagine many of the developer types are using the unstable version, but I think most people are using stable Minetest. When stable Minetest catches up though, I'm sure this will be well worth the wait.

queensbury

by queensbury » Post

kaeza wrote:
Final wrote:

ue)
Installed mods:

3dforniture\
farming\
farming_plus\
gems\
moreores\
moretrees\
plantlife\
sethome\
throwing\
vines\
You need to use the latest version from git.
How come it still does it then when I have downloaded the latest one then?

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

queensbury wrote: How come it still does it then when I have downloaded the latest one then?
Did you also download the latest plantlife on which moretrees depends?
RAPHAEL wrote:
VanessaE wrote:"half an hour" is why you never saw any trees. They grow very slowly - it takes an hour or more before you start seeing them, and they only appear in certain areas.
I have had the mod installed and running now for 6 hours and although there is a ton of saplings, none have grown into trees that I can see of. How long does it take for these new trees to grow?
It took me 2 1/2 minetest days to get 2 jungletrees. Maybe you can change some values to make them grow faster.

Is there a way to 'hide' the sapplings? I think it's in the jungletree code, because when I installed that mod, I saw all those sapplings for the first time.

Final

by Final » Post

Topywo wrote:
queensbury wrote: How come it still does it then when I have downloaded the latest one then?
Did you also download the latest plantlife on which moretrees depends?
I did; both latest plantlife and moretrees directly from GitHub. Still getting that error. Could it have to do with me using Windows…? :v

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Final wrote: I did; both latest plantlife and moretrees directly from GitHub. Still getting that error. Could it have to do with me using Windows…? :v
Idk, I don't use windows for minetest. Do you use the latest 0.4.4 version?
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php ... 743#p64743
or
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php ... 985#p59985

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-01-19: Big update! All trees are generated at map-generation time. If you plant a sapling, it will grow eventually into a tree via an ABM. You MUST update your copy of plantlife to match.