[Mod] More Trees! [git][moretrees]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

[Mod] More Trees! [git][moretrees]

by VanessaE » Post

More trees!

This mod adds many new types of trees to the game. They are, in no particular order:

Several sizes of generic jungle trees, two types and several sizes of firs, palms, apple trees, oaks, giant sequoias, two types of birches, two types of spruces, pine, willow, acacia, rubber trees, and optionally beech trees.

All trees are generated at map-generation time, and so will appear only in newly-generated terrain. By default, trees spawn fully-grown, but you can also configure it to spawn trees in the form of fast-growing (ABM-driven) saplings.

If you plant a sapling, it will grow eventually into a tree via an ABM, though much more slowly than the ones spawned at mapgen time, and only if they're planted on the same surface that the tree would normally generate on (e.g. sand for palms, dirt with grass for the others, for now). This way you can still, for example, "plant" a sapling into a flower pot or some other non-growing surface and use it decoratively.

All of these trees can be harvested and crafted into wood planks which can be used in any recipe that relies on the "wood" group.

All leaves eventually decay, at a fairly slow rate so as not to cause too much CPU load. Except for palms, any leaf block that is more than 5 nodes from the trunk/branch it normally spawns with will decay; apples, cones and coconuts will fall to the ground if there's nothing left to hold them up. Palms have a 15-node radius since their leaves are so wide.

Dependencies: Minetest 0.4.16 and corresponding minetest_game, and biome_lib.

Recommends: moreblocks; also vines if you want better-looking jungles.

License: LGPL 3.0 for code, CC-by-SA 4.0 for media and everything else.

Download: https://github.com/mt-mods/moretrees/ar ... master.zip
...or browse the code: https://github.com/mt-mods/moretrees

Install: Download the above zip file and extract it. Rename the resultant folder to just "moretrees", and copy it to your Minetest mods folder.

Food Crafting
Spoiler
Acorns, fir/spruce/pine cones, and coconuts are edible under the following conditions:

Fir/spruce/pine cones can be cooked to extract fir/spruce/pine nuts. One cone yields 4 portions of nuts, each of which heals 1/2 heart.

Coconuts can be broken apart to get milk and raw coconut solids (e.g. the "meat"). Craft one coconut, one drinking glass, and one cutting tool (*see below). Yields one portion of coconut solids, one glass full of coconut milk, and the tool is returned. The coconut milk heals 1 heart and returns the empty glass, while one portion of coconut solids heals two hearts.

Coconut milk can be crafted with four acorns to produce acorn muffin batter (and you get the empty glass back). One portion of this batter can be cooked into four acorn muffins. Each muffin restores two hearts.

* Since Minetest doesn't have any default cutting tools that would normally be suitable for this purpose, the following tools may be used instead to cut the coconuts open:

Default bronze, diamond, Mese, or steel axe,
...or... glooptest Alatro or Arol axe,
...or... moreores Mithril or silver axe,
...or... titanium axe.

(note that stone and wooden axes are deliberately not usable)
Biome definitions:

Each tree requires a specific set of circumstances under which it will grow. Rather than go into a long-winded description of the biome information, here is a table showing the different types of trees and the major variables that control each type:

https://gitlab.com/VanessaE/moretrees/r ... biomes.txt

Configuration:

If you want to change the settings for Moretrees, create a file in world folder named "moretrees_settings.txt" and insert the settings you need. For a list of the various settings you can change (and what the defaults are), take a look at moretrees/default_settings.txt .

If you want to replace default trees with beech trees (which were intended as a replacement thereof), edit moretrees_settings.txt, find the "moretrees.enable_beech" variable on or near line 16 of the file, and set it to true. Save the file, then edit your world's map_meta.txt and remove "trees" from the "mg_flags" line. Save that file also, then restart your server/game.

Do not edit "default_settings.txt", as this file will only be used the first time you run Moretrees (or if you delete or lose moretrees_settings.txt from your world folder).

Notes:
Spoiler
Trees spawn in various areas defined by two layers of perlin noise and several variables, to corral each variety of tree into a specific biome. Jungle trees are of special note: They only appear in the same biomes as jungle grass, but must be near water and in a sufficiently warm area.

Most of the textures and tree definitions used here were authored by RealBadAngel, with Jungle trees and firs by me (the former also tweaked by RealBadAngel). Some of the code and node definitions in this mod came from bas080's jungle trees and cisoun's conifers mods. The textures for jungle trees and firs shamelessly copied (and renamed) from the same sources. :-)

Please note that because this mod hooks into the map generator, it will slow down the generation of your world by some degree - not a whole lot, but a little. The vast majority of this slowdown is actually due to latency in the engine - it takes forever for the engine to echo back to the screen that which has been added to a given region of the map.

There is a bug in the game engine's cave generator code that causes it to sometimes damage the trees after they've been spawned - I cannot do anything about this. But that's okay, it gives the trees character anyway. :-)

By default, my leafdecay code does not do anything to the leaves on default trees. If enabled, the decay radius is set to 4 by default, and only proximity to default tree trunks is checked (moretrees trunks are ignored).

Also, if some of the jungle trees in your map are originally from Bas080's mod, those will also get picked up by the leafdecay routine, as will default jungle trees, if default jungle tree leaf decay is enabled.

Apples can optionally be configured not to fall.
Last edited by VanessaE on Sun Nov 24, 2013 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Oh, that's really cool! I can't upgrade right now, because I want to keep my server stable, but I can't wait to try this when 0.4.5 comes out.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Looks good vanessa, cant wait for this.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

That's a very nice view!

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I got the latest minetest version from Github, installed plantlife, vines and moretrees. I run into the following error:

15:52:50: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
15:52:50: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
15:52:50: ERROR[main]: /home/topywo/celeron55-minetest-8eb717d-test/bin/../mods/minetest/moretrees/init.lua:
15:52:50: ERROR[main]: ...8eb717d-test/bin/../mods/minetest/moretrees/init.lua:56: attempt to perform arithmetic on global 'plantlife_seed_diff' (a nil value)
15:52:50: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
15:52:50: ERROR[main]: ...8eb717d-test/bin/../mods/minetest/moretrees/init.lua:56: in main chunk
15:52:50: ERROR[main]: =======END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========

When I remove the +30 the mod loads. But then after 2-3 'minetest' days I see some problems(?)
- There appear only jungletree sapplings (a lot) and conifer sapplings (only 1 or 2). They don't turn into grown trees. (Normal sapplings do however)
- There's a lot of jungle grass, because it's both in the default and in plantlife.

I hope you can do something with this info.

(tested on Lubuntu 12.10)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This mod depends on some very new features in minetest engine and in plantlife.

It looks like your copy of the plantlife mod is too old. I updated it yesterday to add a feature needed by this mod. Any version prior to late in the day, Jan. 9 will not work.

Also, make sure your copies of minetest (engine) and minetest_game are up-to-date. Any build dated before the end of the day, Jan. 7 will definitely not work.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-01-11: A bunch of improvements: Added more variety to jungle trees and conifers shapes. Also improved the look of both a little bit, re-balanced the spawn/growth
chances, and reduced the wait time since we're not using a ton of code to do this manually anymore. Also made the spawn routine clear out any leaves that are in the way of a spawning tree's trunk, so the trunks don't look like they've been cut by leaves. Made mod check for air surrounding the target spawn location to keep them from growing over the top of single-node-high walls, rails, plants, etc. Also helps keep them from growing into tall edifices as well.

You need today's update of Plants lib for that air check to work right.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

The leaves of the jungle trees drop unknown items. Shouldn't they drop themselves?

The trees in this mod are pretty and they really do add to the environment. Are you planning to add birches to this mod as well? They appeared in Hybrid Dog's swamp mod and can be very pretty.

Is it possible to make a version of the vines mod that grows its vines exclusively on the jungle trees?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I already fixed the leaves bug in a recent update, so you'll want to grab the latest. Be sure you update plants_lib also, while you're at it. New features abound! :-)

Regarding other types of trees, maybe. I don't want to overload the world, and conifers and jungle trees already add a lot of mass. :-) That said, if you can go on my server and look around, and maybe use what you see there to give me some idea of what kind of biome parameters they should use, I'll be happy to add them.

As for vines, that's pretty easy. I use bas080's Vines and Rope mod; at roughly line 99 of its init.lua, you'll find a few register_abm() calls. Just comment-out the entirety of the first call (up to roughly line 113), but leave the others alone.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Maybe have some really short trees spawn on the beach. And add some giant oaks maybe 20 blocks high and only one every 500 blocks
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Palm trees on the beach wouldn't be a bad idea actually. I'll look into it later.

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

Feature Request: Better interspersion and forest systems/blending

Could be too hard.

Like:
J=Jungle
N=Normal

JJJN JN JJ
J JNJJNNN
J J J NNJN

as opposed to

JJJ J
JJ N N N N N
JJ N N N N

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-01-11: made jungle trees spawn farther apart (was an average of 8 nodes, now 15). Made them need to be closer to water (was radius 30 nodes, now 15; still needs 10 water nodes in that area to consider it "damp" enough). Lowered the maximum elevation they'll grow at (was -5 to +15, now -5 to +10).

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

:D

That helps make it more realistic!
Now we need the world generator to make land thats divided by lots of rivers and lakes for your trees!
Last edited by Traxie21 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

There is a new mapgen in the works, Traxie21. It will be known as mapgen v7.

I told RealBadAngel that it would be a good idea for the leaf level heights of the jungle trees to vary slightly from trunk to trunk. It looks like you added a smaller jungle tree recently. If you did, then I find the addition to be pleasing. I asked RealBadAngel where birches are intended to appear, so he might be able to help you out considering where they should be put. Did you know that he recently made palm trees? They may need some fine tuning, but I see that as good news for seeing them on beaches.

yves_de_beck

by yves_de_beck » Post

WOW. Gooood work!!! =)
Like it

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yep, he and I talk regularly on IRC, so I've seen all of the screenshots and some of the associated code too :-)

I still need help deciding where any new trees should go though (aside from palms, that's easy).

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Here are my ideas for spawning trees and some new trees

oaks-on plains a couple per 100 blocks

sequoias-near water but height spawn=20-40

palm-obvious

jungle-same

conifer-same

pine-above 30

birch-above 40

avatar-anywhere, like the giant tree from avatar, one per world, 100 blocks tall*30 blocks wide

underground trees-trees that spawn in caves(really really rare)
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

Just tried this mod and afraid to say it doesn't do anything for me. Created a new world, installed plantlife mods and this and no new trees. I flew around everywhere and all I seen was the normal trees.

Less than 30 minutes ago I got latest dev from git, compiled it and downloaded plantlife and this mod. No apparent errors, just doesn't seem to do anything.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

It does for me. If you want to see examples go on adress: vanessae.mine.bz port: 30000
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Have you added any trees
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

RAPHAEL wrote:Just tried this mod and afraid to say it doesn't do anything for me. Created a new world, installed plantlife mods and this and no new trees. I flew around everywhere and all I seen was the normal trees.

Less than 30 minutes ago I got latest dev from git, compiled it and downloaded plantlife and this mod. No apparent errors, just doesn't seem to do anything.
Don't know if it would mean anything but also this was tested on Puppy Linux Precise.

EDIT: Also the test was limited to a new world for about a half hour.
Last edited by RAPHAEL on Mon Jan 14, 2013 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

"half an hour" is why you never saw any trees. They grow very slowly - it takes an hour or more before you start seeing them, and they only appear in certain areas.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

I suggest you make a moretrees modpack that comes with all the nessecary mods.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Well the only mod it depends on aside from default is plantlife. Since other stuff will hopefully come to depend on that mod in the future, it seems wrong to include it with moretrees. Besides, I wrote in the first post that the plantlife mod is a dependency, including a link to the forum page covering it, so people just need to learn to read. :-)