jonadab
GitHub: tsadok
IRC: jonadab
In-game: jonadab

Re: [Mod] More Trees! [git][moretrees]

by jonadab » Post

VanessaE wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 16:25
Hard to say for sure, but I think they look pretty decent; every oak tree I've ever seen was sprawling and all "scraggly" -- so your blue-trunk and yellow-trunk ones look promising. You might thin out the upper branches a little on the yellow ones?
The blue model was, at that point, manifesting a problem wherein it wanted to pick a direction and flop over onto the ground, forming an arch. I may yet be able to get the blue model to behave; further bulletins as events warrant. There's also the violet model, which is similar to the blue one. Here are some screenshots of that (and, incidentally, a few of the work-in-progress orange-trunk model):

I'm not satisfied with either of these models yet, but I am still fiddling with them.

But yes, good catch with the upper branches on the yellow being too thick. The way that model was constructed, the same pair of mutually recursive rules was being used for all the branches, from the very first to the very last. So this lead me to come up with a new model (shown here with trunks color coded green), which is similar to the yellow one but has a more complex axiom and does not rely on trunk-type to make the trunk thick. This isn't quite finished yet. (One thing I still need to do, is put the first couple of branches into the axiom so I can make them extra-thick.) But perhaps it is an improvement?

For reference, the model code as it stands now: http://jonadab.jumpingcrab.com/pastebin/1176.txt

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yeah I think the shape and branch density in the green model is just about where I would have liked it. Good deal there. With that "flops over" glitch, that purple model looks like it could make a good alternate model for the willow, though the branches are a little too dense.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

jonadab

by jonadab » Post

A willow really should flop over in multiple directions, though, not just one. Also, the existing willow model is pretty good.

What I ought to do today, probably, is fiddle around some more with apple tree models.

jonadab

by jonadab » Post

jonadab wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 15:38
What I ought to do today, probably, is fiddle around some more with apple tree models.
Hmm...

Hmm.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

I want to scale all of these trees by 3. That means that each tree should be about 2-3 times as wide, and 3 times as tall. The L-systems look quite confusing... is there some easy way of doing this? could someone help me with this? thanks.
MisterE

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Never Mind, I figured it out. I am scaling each tree by 3, so it will be 3x as tall, wide, etc. I do have to play with the L-system a bit, but find+replace works more or less. I am adding a root system in case a tree gets placed near a cliff. I would prefer to have the roots replace dirt, but so far I cant find any way to make that happen. Right now, roots will only be placed if there is air there. Anyone know how to make trees replace nodes other than air?

crogonint
GitHub: crogonint
In-game: NA

by crogonint » Post

Excuse me, I'm a newb at Minetest. (getting tired of devs acting like I'm stupid). This is happening, I don't know what to do, please help:

ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\Users\James\Downloads\Games\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages\init.lua:
Unknown node: moretrees:apple_sapling_ongen
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'get_content_id'
...\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages/config.lua:98: in main chunk
[C]: in function 'dofile'
...es\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages\init.lua:38: in main chunk
Check debug.txt for details.|

The relevant portion of debug.txt says:

2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\Users\James\Downloads\Games\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages\init.lua:
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: Unknown node: moretrees:apple_sapling_ongen
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'get_content_id'
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: ...\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages/config.lua:98: in main chunk
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'dofile'
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: ...es\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages\init.lua:38: in main chunk
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

crogonint wrote: Unknown node: moretrees:apple_sapling_ongen
mg_villages places trees around the villages. If moretrees trees are available, those are used as well. However, moretrees has two diffrent spawning mechanisms. Try setting

Code: Select all

moretrees.spawn_saplings                = true
to get new trees spawned as saplings. That is what mg_villages needs.
A list of my mods can be found here.

voxelproof

No more trees

by voxelproof » Post

It seems that this once awesome mod doesn't work anymore. It doesn't do anything in newly created worlds with this one and biome_lib enabled. What's going on?

MT 5.2.0.

EDIT

I've just checked out the older version from 2016, and everything works properly. This means that the issue is related to the newer version of moretrees.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Sorry for raising false alarm, but for some unknown to me reason the newest version of moretrees downloaded today started to work however only after there was the old one activated previously (and then removed - strangely enough simply renaming the folder in mods directory caused conflict). Thanks for this great contribution to Minetest - moretrees is rightly regarded by many as a flagship mod as far as making MT wordls look more enticing is concerned. Best regards.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

ZAAo

Re: [Mod] More Trees! [20140807] [moretrees]

by ZAAo » Post

VanessaE wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2015 01:41
Update: This mod now uses the default acacia and default pine nodes for its versions of these trees. Users may need to update minetest_game to accommodate. Engine updates may also be needed.
Hi VanessaE. Firstly I want to say thanks for the great work you do on Minetest mods and for a bunch of really awesome mods that you have already created and made available to everyone, to have an even more enjoyable experience while playing this incredible game!

Now I want to beg for some help with a problem I am experiencing in Minetest...
I used the enable_local_map_saving = true option in minetest.conf to locally save parts of an online map, where I built with some friends... so far so good. I also made a screenshot of the mods used on the server (/mods). Then I created a new Minetest world with the same seed and copied the downloaded map.sqlite from the server's local save into my newly created offline folder. I started the local version and had mod issues right away (no mods actually loaded!). Then I discovered that a new Minetest world has all mods disabled by default. So I enabled all.. Big mistake! Major problems and conflicts. Disabled all and selectively enabled the ones I found in my Minetest, which were listed in the server's /mods list. Problems again: I could not find some of those mods. Then I discovered that some were included in modpacks. Again I had big problem in getting some mods and modpacks to work... Enabling some of these (for example base_modpack and basic_materials) resulted in much frustration, as they seemed to get disabled immediately by Minetest EVERY TIME! Then I learned how to use worldmods... and disabled all mods again for this world, and only copied relevant mods into the worldmods folder inside my offline version of this world. Much better results... except for some dependencies, which I struggle to find. So I'm still having problems getting all the mods to work in my offline version. The reason I'm asking you, is that one major frustration is that I am apparently still missing moretrees_pine and moretrees_acacia, which seem to be related to your mods...? I do have the base_modpack successfully installed (and it seems, working) now, but the moretrees mod in there does not include the above-mentioned two tree types...? Then after some digging in the Minetest forums and searching the web, I stumbled onto this post from you, where you mentioned those two tree types. I do not however understand what you mean "mod now uses the default acacia and default pine nodes". How do I get them "enabled" if they are "default" but still not available in my game? Even when I play on other maps (online servers), they seem to be missing. I think I broke something while doing my initial troubleshooting to resolve my mod conflicts.

I thought that perhaps I removed some "default" mods originally provided with Minetest... so I looked at the downloaded minetest-5.4.1-win64 archive and saw that "vanilla Minetest" has NO mods included... so that is ruled out :)

Is there an easier way to find and install missing dependencies for mods?

How can I fix the problem with the missing acacia and pine textures?

Can you or anyone else please help...
screenshot_20210729_135800 Recreated Gardens mods.png
screenshot_20210729_135800 Recreated Gardens mods.png (795.64 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
Edit: The attached screenshot shows the errors regarding missing moretrees textures.

I also want to mention that I installed some mods via the in-game "Content browser", and although that has the advantage of checking for missing/present dependencies and installing any that are missing, it still does not enable the dependencies... So when I add / enable a mod, it is possible that its dependencies are present on my system, but still not enabled...? I wish Minetest could check and prompt to enable dependencies when you enable a mod, while its dependencies are NOT enabled... or to download, install AND enable such dependencies where applicable.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Moretrees has no hard dependencies other than my biome_lib mod, and of course the default and vessels mods in minetest_game.

I don't know what those other "moretrees_xxxx" mods are, they're not mine.

Offhand I would say you have outdated mods mixed with an up-to-date engine but outdated minetest_game (or missing entirely), or something along those lines.

It sounds like you've jumbled things up too much to sort things out, so I'd recommend wiping-out all Minetest-related content on your system (other than that which is irreplaceable of course), and starting over from scratch.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

mhh that version problem since about 5.3.0 including mod is a problem indeed,

Just that it IS possible to run older mixed versions is possible, but a good luck base, and
only change a system (engine, game, mods), when is it important as of bug or crash !
I run still
* engine 5.2.0 with same time mtg (from minetest.net)
* and moretrees is d521e347 from 01.12.2018 (https://gitlab.com/VanessaE/moretrees)
and as of no crash, why I should change ? If there would not be a major advantage ?

but that old moretrees also made no any problem under testing with 5.4.1 engine and mtg, compare to others ... what made me go back to 5.2.0

So it is very important, that complaints NEED to post also there versions of engine, game mods and there source as well !

and why I use a bit of time to put this lines into every init.lua file of a mod:

Code: Select all

modcounter = modcounter + 1
-- from https://gitlab.com/VanessaE/moretrees
print("[Mod] moretrees (d521e347/01.12.2018) - (" .. modcounter .. ") end with "..math.floor(collectgarbage("count")).." KB")
a counter for loaded mods,
keep the source took it to tremember
a show loaded mod name / sub (version / date)
and also the used luamem after that

as so another admin, overtaking my server, might easy be able to get further
as I remember the difficult time after took "Wildes Land" from Hectic, and how fast forget where a mod came from

So hoping mod programmer would include this data into the init.lua
or admins would notice there sources more clear, and use it also in reports
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

ZAAo

by ZAAo » Post

VanessaE wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 18:15
Moretrees has no hard dependencies other than my biome_lib mod, and of course the default and vessels mods in minetest_game.

I don't know what those other "moretrees_xxxx" mods are, they're not mine.

Offhand I would say you have outdated mods mixed with an up-to-date engine but outdated minetest_game (or missing entirely), or something along those lines.

It sounds like you've jumbled things up too much to sort things out, so I'd recommend wiping-out all Minetest-related content on your system (other than that which is irreplaceable of course), and starting over from scratch.
VanessaE moretrees mod now uses default acacia and pine nodes.jpg
VanessaE moretrees mod now uses default acacia and pine nodes.jpg (68.93 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. Did you perhaps have acacia and pine in your moretrees mod in the past? I saw a post from you in this discussion, on 20 Jul 2015, where you said "This mod now uses the default acacia and default pine nodes...", so that was why I thought there could be a "link" between whatever changes you made to your mod and the problem I am experiencing... Perhaps the server on which I played (and saved portions of the map from and now experience the mod problems with) uses an old version of the moretrees mod (which would explain it expecting moretrees_acacia and moretrees_pine, but not finding it in my offline, updated moretrees mod)??? I'm just guessing... Is there any way for me to add an alias in your moretrees mod, to make that map think it is loading pine and acacia from moretrees, while actually redirecting it to minetest_game\mods\default\ which does contain those two trees? BTW I checked in my Minetest Content browser and it showed "No updates", which I presume means that all of my mods installed from there, as well as my Minetest_game are up to date...? Or not? I will toss out all the mods (and especially modpacks containing mods from different modders), which I downloaded via the Minetest Forums, and only keep those installed from the in-game content browser.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

My mod simply dropped the definitions for its own acacia and pine nodes, switched to using the ones provided by minetest_game, and added some aliases, otherwise there were no material changes.

I can't guess one way or another where you got your mods from or whether "no updates" is really true.

As I said, the best thing to do now is to wipe out Minetest and start over from scratch.

Siliconserf

Re: [Mod] More Trees! [git][moretrees] Growth Oddity

by Siliconserf » Post

Love the mod. But the is one amusing oddity that exposes a flaw in the growth algorithm. I planted an oak tree sapling (fast growth) two squares away from a building where the top and walls are 1 node thick. The result was a nice oak tree with a lot of branch and leaf nodes that appeared on the other side of the wall. The tree doesn't poke any holes. It just "tunnels" quantum mechanically. Acacia and other trees do it as well. It doesn't happen with walls two nodes thick. If this isn't a new bug, please point me toward the right posting.

Pixels

by Pixels » Post

Hi VanessaE

Thanks a lot for all the great mod you've created
I'm struggling with moretrees at the moment
it's like it's crashing other mods (about 20 of them actually) when i enabled it
i hope you can help

Thanks a lote :)

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

given your past posts on this forum, ill start with the basics, are you using the most up to date versions of all of the mods, actually post what the error is, etc
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

Pixels

by Pixels » Post

wsor4035 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 17:54
given your past posts on this forum, ill start with the basics, are you using the most up to date versions of all of the mods, actually post what the error is, etc
yes, the appropriates ones ;) not those on beta-test.

Fauxtonic

by Fauxtonic » Post

After updating the mod, the game is now crashing with the following details:

ModError: Runtime error from mod 'moretrees' in callback on_mods_loaded(): ...est 5.4.1 -win64\minetest\bin\..\mods\moretrees\init.lua:73: [moretrees] The version of ethereal detected can result in parts of this mod and others disappearing due to mod load order. Please update ethereal.
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
...est 5.4.1 -win64\minetest\bin\..\mods\moretrees\init.lua:73: in function <...est 5.4.1 -win64\minetest\bin\..\mods\moretrees\init.lua:69>
...t 5.4.1 -win64\minetest\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:431: in function <...t 5.4.1 -win64\minetest\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:417>
Check debug.txt for details.

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

please ...read... the message:

The version of ethereal detected can result in parts of this mod and others disappearing due to mod load order. Please update ethereal.
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Fauxtonic wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 22:37
After updating the mod, the game is now crashing with the following details:

ModError: Runtime error from mod 'moretrees' in callback on_mods_loaded(): ...est 5.4.1 -

...est 5.4.1 -win64\minetest\bin\..\mods\moretrees\init.lua:73: in function <...est 5.4.1 -

...t 5.4.1 -win64\minetest\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:431: in function <...t 5.4.1 -

Check debug.txt for details.
@Fauxtonic - In addition you should consider on upgrading to a more recent version of Minetest.

Apparently, you seem to be using a MT 5.4.1 MS-Windows 64bit version. Current version is MT 5.6.1 and you may have a look at the Minetest Changelog to learn of the many changes and improvements.
Last edited by snoopy on Fri Dec 16, 2022 14:59, edited 2 times in total.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

a hint:
under engine 5.5.0 this version is running
from https://github.com/mt-mods/moretrees , (earlier from https://gitlab.com/VanessaE/moretrees)
[Mod] moretrees (62cab1b/07.04.2021)
... the advantage of putting mod versions into the init.lua ... to remember what I use ...
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

AFAIK mod versions are not linked to MT or MTG versions. Thus the below hint may be somewhat misleading unfortunately.
Festus1965 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 02:03
a hint:
under engine 5.5.0 this version is running
from https://github.com/mt-mods/moretrees , (earlier from https://gitlab.com/VanessaE/moretrees)
[Mod] moretrees (62cab1b/07.04.2021)
Please click on the “Content” tab in the GUI of your MT client to upgrade your mod to the latest version. (For this feature you need MT 5.0.0 or later.)

Alternatively, use any web-browser at your own deliberation for a ContentDB download of More Trees and move the file accordingly into the applicable folder i.e. manually install it to the correct location.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

However, for downloading the most current version of the Ethereal mod you should use the https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/ethereal repository and move the file into the applicable folder i.e. manually install it to the correct location.

Please be aware that Ethereal NG is a world changing mod and will heavily influence the appearance of your environment. There are several more mods available which nicely add to the Ethereal MT user experience and at the same time avoid modding incompatibilities.

Normally the More Trees! mod and the Ethereal NG mod seem to be working together very well and the a.m. error message is just an indication of a pre-established safety net within the Lua code to avoid inconsistencies.