jonadab
GitHub: tsadok
IRC: jonadab
In-game: jonadab

Re: [Mod] More Trees! [git][moretrees]

by jonadab » Post

VanessaE wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 16:25
Hard to say for sure, but I think they look pretty decent; every oak tree I've ever seen was sprawling and all "scraggly" -- so your blue-trunk and yellow-trunk ones look promising. You might thin out the upper branches a little on the yellow ones?
The blue model was, at that point, manifesting a problem wherein it wanted to pick a direction and flop over onto the ground, forming an arch. I may yet be able to get the blue model to behave; further bulletins as events warrant. There's also the violet model, which is similar to the blue one. Here are some screenshots of that (and, incidentally, a few of the work-in-progress orange-trunk model):

I'm not satisfied with either of these models yet, but I am still fiddling with them.

But yes, good catch with the upper branches on the yellow being too thick. The way that model was constructed, the same pair of mutually recursive rules was being used for all the branches, from the very first to the very last. So this lead me to come up with a new model (shown here with trunks color coded green), which is similar to the yellow one but has a more complex axiom and does not rely on trunk-type to make the trunk thick. This isn't quite finished yet. (One thing I still need to do, is put the first couple of branches into the axiom so I can make them extra-thick.) But perhaps it is an improvement?

For reference, the model code as it stands now: http://jonadab.jumpingcrab.com/pastebin/1176.txt

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yeah I think the shape and branch density in the green model is just about where I would have liked it. Good deal there. With that "flops over" glitch, that purple model looks like it could make a good alternate model for the willow, though the branches are a little too dense.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

jonadab

by jonadab » Post

A willow really should flop over in multiple directions, though, not just one. Also, the existing willow model is pretty good.

What I ought to do today, probably, is fiddle around some more with apple tree models.

jonadab

by jonadab » Post

jonadab wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 15:38
What I ought to do today, probably, is fiddle around some more with apple tree models.
Hmm...

Hmm.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

I want to scale all of these trees by 3. That means that each tree should be about 2-3 times as wide, and 3 times as tall. The L-systems look quite confusing... is there some easy way of doing this? could someone help me with this? thanks.
MisterE

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Never Mind, I figured it out. I am scaling each tree by 3, so it will be 3x as tall, wide, etc. I do have to play with the L-system a bit, but find+replace works more or less. I am adding a root system in case a tree gets placed near a cliff. I would prefer to have the roots replace dirt, but so far I cant find any way to make that happen. Right now, roots will only be placed if there is air there. Anyone know how to make trees replace nodes other than air?

crogonint
GitHub: crogonint
In-game: NA

by crogonint » Post

Excuse me, I'm a newb at Minetest. (getting tired of devs acting like I'm stupid). This is happening, I don't know what to do, please help:

ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\Users\James\Downloads\Games\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages\init.lua:
Unknown node: moretrees:apple_sapling_ongen
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'get_content_id'
...\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages/config.lua:98: in main chunk
[C]: in function 'dofile'
...es\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages\init.lua:38: in main chunk
Check debug.txt for details.|

The relevant portion of debug.txt says:

2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\Users\James\Downloads\Games\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages\init.lua:
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: Unknown node: moretrees:apple_sapling_ongen
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'get_content_id'
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: ...\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages/config.lua:98: in main chunk
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'dofile'
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: ...es\minetest-5.3.0-win64\bin\..\mods\mg_villages\init.lua:38: in main chunk
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.
2020-10-21 13:58:24: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down