[Mod] Firearms [0.2.0] [firearms]

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

[Mod] Firearms [0.2.0] [firearms]

by kaeza » Post

This mod provides several firearms to be used on PvP servers.

Rewritten from scratch using a more modular design.

Supports FOV changing ("zoom") on singleplayer or patched clients.

Links:
Download
Browse code on GitHub
Wiki

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How do I reload?
A: Shift + Click

Q: This mod sucks!
A: That is not a question.

Q: <div>How do you piss a web developer?</span>
A: "like this

Dependencies: default

How To Use Weapons:
Simply select a weapon, get some bullets, and click to shoot!
Reload with Shift+Click.

Currently provides:
  • M9 (.45 Semiautomatic pistol)
  • M3 (12 Gauge, pump action shotgun, with buckshot YAY)
  • M4 (5.56mm Fully automatic assault Rifle)
  • Sniper Rifle (with telescopic sights)
In addition, it provides Night Vision Goggles (for now, they just barely help to see in complete darkness).

Every weapon uses it's own class of ammunition, and there's support to make weapons use existing amunition.

There's also a somewhat easy API to define your own firearms and ammunition.

TO-DO:
Many things.

If you have any suggestions, feel free to post them here :)

License:
Code: BSD License
Textures: CC-BY-SA
Spoiler
Some videos of the mod in action (no sound, sorry):
NEW VERSION: http://youtu.be/CPRou-DFqgI
Last edited by kaeza on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

nomohakon
IRC: nomohakon
In-game: nomohakon

by nomohakon » Post

Wow
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it." - Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
- - -
"To never die... and to conquer all, that is winning." ―Illyria

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

the mod works great :-)

pros:
-do good damage
-fun
-fast shooting

cons:
-i dont know which ammo goes to which gun (maybe make the ammo name be "<gun name> ammo")
-also if you are shooting at somone but are close enough to see the selection box then they are not damaged

if you want to make it destroy the surrounding area then look at jordan4ipbanez butter mod. also have the item itself take in the surrounding area. i think that explosions shouls be configurable in case you want the damage to the player but not the damage to the land
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:the mod works great :-)

pros:
-do good damage
-fun
-fast shooting

cons:
-i dont know which ammo goes to which gun (maybe make the ammo name be "<gun name> ammo")
-also if you are shooting at somone but are close enough to see the selection box then they are not damaged

if you want to make it destroy the surrounding area then look at jordan4ipbanez butter mod. also have the item itself take in the surrounding area. i think that explosions shouls be configurable in case you want the damage to the player but not the damage to the land

The idea is not to make a "Handgun ammo", "Rifle ammo", etc. The idea is that you can use, for example, .45 ammo on a .45 Piston or on an SMG. Ammo reusability reduces the number of items that needs to be defined, and is more "realistic". Modern FPSs use this system.
The idea of being guns is that they are used at long range. For short range, have swords handy :)
Anyway, that is a bug and should be fixed. Thanks for reporting.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Yes Idea, I like see you can, make a Minigun heres the catch, though...I like it act like a Minigun have the barrel turn when, firing.

And I will add some of my weapons on here later.

This looks like Halo.
Last edited by Likwid H-Craft on Thu Jan 24, 2013 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

kaeza wrote:The idea is not to make a "Handgun ammo", "Rifle ammo", etc. The idea is that you can use, for example, .45 ammo on a .45 Piston or on an SMG. Ammo reusability reduces the number of items that needs to be defined, and is more "realistic". Modern FPSs use this system.
The idea of being guns is that they are used at long range. For short range, have swords handy :)
Anyway, that is a bug and should be fixed. Thanks for reporting.
i think that the guns should have the # in their name. like the .45 pistol and the .45 ammo
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

I want a sniper scope and i don't want a punch movement when firing a gun/pistol, bow or dart gun. Maybe something for the core coders to consider.

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Bas080 wrote:I want a sniper scope and i don't want a punch movement when firing a gun/pistol, bow or dart gun. Maybe something for the core coders to consider.
100% agree. I'm trying to come up with a feature for a pseudo sniper rifle using current engine possibilities.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

i think that bullets should be able to go through water. atm they don't. when i shoot a grenade underwater it explodes on me. if you make a bow maybe only have arrows go through water.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Post

Nice!

DARGON
GitHub: DargonSocialMediaProject
IRC: DARGON
In-game: DARGON

by DARGON » Post

Kaeza has always been on top of improvements and bug fixes for the Mods we use on my server. He also takes well thought out user/tester ideas under very good consideration. We have been using his IRC Mod and a Co-Op Jail mod that him had RAPHAEL built and love working with him on those and hopefully other future projects ^_^

and a couple observational notes:
jojoa1997 wrote:i think that bullets should be able to go through water. atm they don't. when i shoot a grenade underwater it explodes on me. if you make a bow maybe only have arrows go through water.
Bullets stop as if hitting a solid when entering water... that's how they test rounds of ammo when a crime has been commuted.
Likwid H-Craft wrote:Yes Idea, I like see you can, make a Minigun heres the catch, though...I like it act like a Minigun have the barrel turn when, firing.

&
Bas080 wrote:I want a sniper scope and i don't want a punch movement when firing a gun/pistol, bow or dart gun. Maybe something for the core coders to consider.
People can only do what is available in the games API and are limited to the options that the game already has coded within the program.

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

DARGON wrote:Kaeza has always been on top of improvements and bug fixes for the Mods we use on my server. He also takes well thought out user/tester ideas under very good consideration. We have been using his IRC Mod and a Co-Op Jail mod that him had RAPHAEL built and love working with him on those and hopefully other future projects ^_^

and a couple observational notes:
jojoa1997 wrote:i think that bullets should be able to go through water. atm they don't. when i shoot a grenade underwater it explodes on me. if you make a bow maybe only have arrows go through water.
Bullets stop as if hitting a solid when entering water... that's how they test rounds of ammo when a crime has been commuted.
Likwid H-Craft wrote:Yes Idea, I like see you can, make a Minigun heres the catch, though...I like it act like a Minigun have the barrel turn when, firing.

&
People can only do what is available in the games API and are limited to the options that the game already has coded within the program.
Thank you DARGON for your continuous support. You and RAPHAEL have been supporting me a long way, and I really consider you excellent friends.

@jojoa1997 As for the projectiles "dying" on water, that can be easily done. Ditto for any other node. This mod is just getting started. I suggest you have more patience.

@Likwid I suggest you get more knowledge about how things work in the engine before you suggest things like these. BTW: The code can be copied and modified (provided you comply with the terms of the license), so why don't you try doing that yourself?

@all If you want to have bows & arrows, why don't you use this mod instead?

if you have any sane suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them :)

Josh

by Josh » Post

+10,000 :) You could make some stealthy weapons, like a sleeper dart gun. maybe some greandes?

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Josh wrote:+10,000 :) You could make some stealthy weapons, like a sleeper dart gun. maybe some greandes?
Thanks!
Nice idea! Working on the grenades and a silenced pistol :)
I'll think the tranquilizer gun will be somewhat possible. Let me look at what I can do :)

Aqua

by Aqua » Post

Sweet! Does this work on mobs?
Hi there ^.~

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Aqua wrote:Sweet! Does this work on mobs?
it should cause it works with player entities
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Works on anything implemented as an entity (which sadly means you can blow up your dropped items). Buttets do not collide with other bullets though.

Also, forgot to mention: anyone daring enough to edit firearmslib.lua can enable smoke traces on the rockets. This is done by uncommenting the 'if' block at the start of ent.on_step inside firearmslib.register_bullet.
Here's a video demonstrating it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZusRnxOqPY
I have disabled that feature because it sometimes leaves orphan entities (i.e. smoke does not disappear), and also because this would lag servers.

EDIT: Please excuse the poor quality of the video :P
Last edited by kaeza on Fri Jan 25, 2013 02:44, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

kaeza wrote:can enable smoke traces on the rockets
awsome
i tested it. the guns kill my npcs from peaceful_npc but there isnt any health damage. they are at 50hp(full) i shoot a couple times check and no damage. i shoot again and they dissapear. kaeza could you figure out how to make it damage enities cause i want my npcs to drop stuff when killed not just dissapear.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

o_O wow wasn't expecting this mod to be made. Will have to test it sometime.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

RAPHAEL wrote:o_O wow wasn't expecting this mod to be made. Will have to test it sometime.
Actually, mauvebic said he did something similar a while ago, but IDK much about that.

BTW New Updates:
- Added shoot sound for all weapons.
- Fixed a stupid bug where player entities would be removed from the world if killed by a shot.
- Reworked some of the textures to look better.
- Tweaked the range of some weapons and the default range.
- Implemented burst fire support for weapons.

I'm looking for better sound files. They can be released under any license, provided the license is considered free (i.e. it's free to use and modify the files even for commercial purposes).

The feature jojoa1997 requested (that dead entities drop items) and the stealth weapons will be added soon...ish.

The only features I can include in a sniper rifle are increased range, and very high to perfect accuracy. That will also be done soon.
Last edited by kaeza on Fri Jan 25, 2013 05:36, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

i love the semi auto carbine. upon futher testing the npcs dont get any damage and they are just remove (unless the mese is destroyed also). this is the code i use to make they drop stuff when killed.

Code: Select all

if self.object:get_hp() == 0 then
        local obj = minetest.env:add_item(self.object:getpos(), "default:mese")
    end
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

please add a recipe.lua to your github because i have some ideas and want to add a pull request
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Sounds!!

Ak-47
Rocket Launcher
Sniper Rifle
Music(If you ever get there)
Plus some other sounds.