[Modpack] Sea [0.4.2] [sea]

jimy

Re: [Modpack] Sea [0.4.2] [sea]

by jimy » Post

I can't download any archive of this mod, your links seems to point removed files. Can you solve it ?

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

jimy wrote:I can't download any archive of this mod, your links seems to point removed files. Can you solve it ?
The author is gone, but the a repo lives on here. https://bitbucket.org/minetest_gamers/m ... master.zip

seller
In-game: seller bombingspree lockerhead5000 blob5000 thediamondfighter

Re:

by seller » Post

Other people should test this mod as well so that bugs and glitches can be found and solved. By doing this, this mod could be used on servers one day.(-1)

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

Re: [Modpack] Sea [0.4.0] [sea]

by Hamlet » Post

I've made a fork on GitHub.

https://github.com/H4mlet/sea
https://github.com/H4mlet/sea/archive/master.zip

I haven't yet started looking at the code, but I'd like to use it on mgv7.
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Topywo, in case you see this, i am impressed with the coral textures and would like to use them in MTGame to improve our corals. Although the texture license permits this i thought i would also mention this, i will go ahead and use them since you may not be around anymore.

R-One

by R-One » Post

Hamlet wrote:I've made a fork on GitHub.

https://github.com/H4mlet/sea
https://github.com/H4mlet/sea/archive/master.zip

I haven't yet started looking at the code, but I'd like to use it on mgv7.
Hi, the links are dead due to your migration hosting deposits.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

R-One wrote:Hi, the links are dead due to your migration hosting deposits.
Hi, the reason why my fork ([Mod] Water Flora [0.1.0] [water_flora]) is no longer available is that it just added kelps and seagrasses to Minetest 0.5-dev, a feature that has been added in Minetest 0.5-dev.

Actually I still have a version made for Minetest 0.4.16, but due to the 0.4.x limits it turned kelps and seagrasses into "columns of air"; e.g. imagine a papyrus plant in the sea, as soon as you "enter" it you aren't into water anymore.

Shortly said, the 0.5-dev version is no longer needed while the 0.4.x version is buggy.
However if you still want to give it a try, here it is, you can finely tune it in Advanced Settings>Mods>sea_plants - (use a test map!)
sea_plants.7z
(130.98 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

R-One

by R-One » Post

Hello, first of all thank you for your answer.

Sea_plants is not the same as the original mod of this post.
I actually know the bug of air pockets around objects which is corrected in version 0.5+.

It was especially to look at the code side of the generations of wrecks and chests.

I found the orginal mod in my archives. (long live to the backups)

By the way I have a question, the mod uses minetest.register_abm to generate the wrecks ... would not it be more optimized to use minetest.register_on_generated? but at this moment how to detect the sea level?

texmex

by texmex » Post

I actually know the bug of air pockets around objects which is corrected in version 0.5+.
I don’t think it is.

R-One

by R-One » Post

texmex wrote:I don’t think it is.
I was talking about the new feature "Underwater plantlike drawtype" that fixes the bug on plants.

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/5381

hoping one day see the same thing happen on the blocks.

texmex

by texmex » Post

It was resolved in an utmost limited way which cannot at all be applied to the sea modpack plants, unfortunately. The drawtype is called plantlike_rooted and thus need a "root node" such as sand or dirt as part of its definition.

I wish that issue had been resolved in a much more general way with "definable empty space" (air/water/lava etc) so that it could have been applied to fences and other non-normal drawtype nodes.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

R-One wrote: Hello, first of all thank you for your answer.
You're welcome! :)
R-One wrote: Sea_plants is not the same as the original mod of this post.
Exactly. When I forked [Sea] I did it because it wasn't working with mapgen v7 - if I reckon correctly because of the new water_river nodes.
Shortly, I just wanted some plants into water, thus I made sea_plants, which later became water_flora.
R-One wrote: It was especially to look at the code side of the generations of wrecks and chests.
By the way I have a question, the mod uses minetest.register_abm to generate the wrecks ... would not it be more optimized to use minetest.register_on_generated? but at this moment how to detect the sea level?
I agree, I would use an on_generated function.
Sea level by default is == 1, if you want to be sure you can use
minetest.settings:get("water_level")

If you want to look at some code handling node detection and objects placement give a look at these mods:
"Stonebrick Dungeons" viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18457
"Loot Framework" viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13991

The former is mine, it shows how to easily check which node is which on map generation.
The latter is by Byakuren, it shows how to place a chest or a minetest schematic into a dungeon on map generation.

Basically the job is to substitute dungeons with seas and chests with shipwrecks.
One could make an "Atlantis" mod, which reminds me that I still have to learn how to use minetest schematics.

R-One

by R-One » Post

Thanks again for all your answers.

I was wondering when using the function minetest.register_on_generated, is it possible to know in which biome one is located?

Another question is how to find the ocean floor? Probably starting from sea level which is so minetest.settings: get ("water_level") and looking for a block of sand underneath?

I'm still in the expirimenation of development of mods ... When you talk about an Atlantis mods, I think of games because I see more than a mod with a different gameplay that would make minetest a little more unique, the possibilties are so unlimited.

In addition, I face constraints like for example with Minetest games, mapgen and mobs redo. For example the spawns that are linked to the blocks and as they are identical in different biomes we can not for the moment assign a mob to a specific biome? there would be many hack solutions that come to my mind like creating aliases to have specific blocks by biomes, or generate specific vegetation biome and spawn the mobs in the neighborhood of this one?

texmex

by texmex » Post

In 0.5.0-dev you may use these functions to detect biomes properly: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/7117

When placing ocean schematics I usually look for dirt (if dirt is the bottom node of the ocean) that’s positioned below around y -10 and then check whether it’s surrounded by a lot of water_source nodes. If your mapgen has defined ocean biomes you should check against that as well. Depending on the schematic you may use the decorations function successfully, I have.

R-One

by R-One » Post

thank you for your reply texmex

in 0.4.16, we found

minetest.get_biome_id(biome_name)`
* Returns the biome id, as used in the biomemap Mapgen object, for a given biome_name string.

I wrote the following code but I do not understand I have a value nil
(I use the mintest game and mapgen V7)

Code: Select all

local timer = 0

minetest.register_globalstep(function(dtime)
		timer = timer + dtime
		if timer > 2 then
			timer = 0
			for _, player in ipairs(minetest.get_connected_players()) do
                local name = minetest.get_biome_id(biome_name)
				print(name)
			end
		end
	end)

texmex

by texmex » Post

You will need 0.5.0-dev for that function as it’s not included in 0.4.16.

Also, your function can’t work as you first need to get biome id at a certain position, then get the name of that id. You don’t seem to get any position at all in your code. Look at paramat’s example again :)

R-One

by R-One » Post

however the function get_biome_id(biome_name) is well integrated since 0.4.14

look at the changelog: https://dev.minetest.net/Changelog#0.4. ... .92_0.4.14

It must return an ID that is generated by the recording of the biomes (not the name of course it is implanted in 0.5).

It has nothing to do with the new function you are quoting.

We found it in the lua_api.txt here of the stable version 0.4.17:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .txt#L2600

It is not documented on the wiki which is really out of date.

We talk about it here but I have not managed to make it work properly:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15272&start=375&hi ... ex#p295857

It is also used in this mod that works in 0.4.16:
https://github.com/minetest-mods/subter ... t.lua#L174
Last edited by R-One on Sun Jun 24, 2018 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Oh I see, you're completely right. :)

R-One

by R-One » Post

texmex wrote:Oh I see, you're completely right. :)
It's not the most important thing to be right ... :'(

because the documentation is too missing

You who have much more experience than me in moding, would you make it work under 0.4.17? I only get a nil value

Thank you very much in advance !

texmex

by texmex » Post

Honestly, I’ve never uses register_on_generated. I’ve simply used register_decoration for placing schematics. That function is very easy to use in comparison to register_on_generated. Not as powerful of course but enough if you want to place the occasional hut, fossil structure or custom trees. It has biome detection built in as well.

See: https://dev.minetest.net/minetest.regis ... decoration

R-One

by R-One » Post

thank you very much for taking the time to answer texmex.

I will leave my idea aside for the moment pending the 5.0.0 stable that will be simpler for this and that will give me time to build my programming skills.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Or you may start developing towards 0.5.0/5.0.0 right away by using a later build. Which OS are you on?

R-One

by R-One » Post

I use minetest personally in Linux and Android but also Windows and Mac in the educational environment.

I prefer to stay on the stable version for the moment because this is the version I recommend to my community. I wish it is the easiest access possible, for example it is not so simple for everyone to install an apk for dev version under android.

Of course, I can start testing in version 5.0.0 ... but I also have plenty to do in the stable version ;-)

Thanks again to everyone for your rewarding answers.

galundrux

by galundrux » Post

I've been testing it with 5.0.0-dev and it's not working, airblocks everywhere. I read this is no longer supposed to be an issue since a flag was added that can make plants underwater plants and the noairblocks mod is no longer needed, or so the Github says anyway. But I can't figure it out. I tried adding the flag to the plant nodes, didn't help. Then I tried removing dependency on noairblocks from the seaplants part of the mod, this did something but I'm not sure what. Now the plants show up as kind of a block that makes a hole in the world, like you can see the sky through the floor where they appear, and they have a weird sprite on top of them. Granted, it did take care of the airblock problem... Here is a screenshot to show what I mean.

Airblocks in this screen is just my lights so that's fine, but unlike before the plants no longer emit any light.

Anyway, I would really like to update this mod, but as you can see I have no idea what I'm doing. Would really appreciate some hints on what's going on here. Or even on what the new flag called "plantlike_rooted" is supposed to do? Are they supposed to become full blocks like that? Full blocks could look okay if I just used a transparent top texture I guess. What is the hole in the world? Is that just a texture issue too? So it would have to be replaced with sand or whatever block it grows on for the bottom texture? And why the sprite on top? Top sprite is only visible from some angles by the way. Would it be possible to make this entire block use transparent textures and have two textured planes inside it?

It would be a bit like this, I tinted the block yellow here just so you can see the outline of it and used some high res textures because it was hard to tell what it was with Blender trying to scale the tiny picture making it all blurry. But you get the point. Would this kinda thing be possible?

EDIT: I've worked out some of this now. Apparently the block is supposed to be the root and all sand while the sprite on top is the actual plant, so it needs an extra parameter called "special_node". It looks like the hole in the ground is because they couldn't get rid of the Z fighting between the ground and the water, which I assume led to the root block solution. Not entirely happy with this as it makes it impossible to interact with the plants in any way, and they won't grow taller either, so from my point of view it's a worse hack than the noairblocks mod. This makes it completly useless in a game like this, it's purely visual, and in this kinda game you need to be able to interact with everything otherwise it's basically just 3D pixel-art. There has to be a better way to do this?

texmex

by texmex » Post

galundrux wrote:Not entirely happy with this as it makes it impossible to interact with the plants in any way, and they won't grow taller either, so from my point of view it's a worse hack than the noairblocks mod. This makes it completly useless in a game like this, it's purely visual, and in this kinda game you need to be able to interact with everything otherwise it's basically just 3D pixel-art. There has to be a better way to do this?
Sadly no at this point. You should voice your concerna as a bug report on Github!