[Modpack] Sea [0.4.2] [sea]

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

The dirt and sand for seaplants and seacoral are in the creative inventory, though they probably should not be.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Inocudom wrote:The dirt and sand for seaplants and seacoral are in the creative inventory, though they probably should not be.
Thanks for the feedback!

I've only had a quick thought about that. I kept them on purpose in creative for 3 reasons:
- The names are not very suitable for the use of the giveme command
- It gives more control where to grow the coral/seaplants
- The idea behind those 'specialized' dirt/sand is to have more control where to spawn the coral/seaplants. When dug, they turn 'back' into normal sand/dirt and cannot be used to grow new coral/seaplants

While typing this, I see those are not very strong arguments, so I'm already thinking about ways to get them out of creative and improving the mod at the same time.

falsegrayburger
In-game: naro

by falsegrayburger » Post

This Mod is great!

· · · ·, However, the noairblock does not work well possibly ...
It disappears when viewed from the water, to be sure, but it is in the air when viewed from above it

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

jenova99sephiros wrote:This Mod is great!

· · · ·, However, the noairblock does not work well possibly ...
It disappears when viewed from the water, to be sure, but it is in the air when viewed from above it

I'm not sure what kind of airblock you mean:

1. Somehow there are 'natural' airblocks (airpockets) on dirt under water. I think they (should?) disappear in time, but am not sure about it. My mod waterbubblesalmostgone let those airblocks disappear (faster?), but I took it out of the seamodpack, because it ate too much cpu.

2. At least the 2 top layers of water stay old fashioned water. I made sure plants and corals wouldn't grow higher. Otherwise you would see 'holes' like those papyrus has for the part that stands in the water.

3. However could it be that you placed a seatorch, a lantern (or maybe a coral or seaplant) in one of the 2 top-layers? Even when you remove it the hole will stay. You can clean the hole by putting old fashioned water in it.

I tried once a mod that would replace the sea-water with old fashioned water in case there was no sea-node left, but that made evrything glitch.

P.s. to remove the 'natural' waterpockets you can put water in it (top 2 layers) or, layer -3 and lower, put a seatorch in it, wait till the airblock is gone and then removing the seatorch.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

Ok, I like finding the crushed white shell but it's starting to fill my inventory and there is no way that I can find to use it. I tried searching through the code but I don't see any crafting recipes that use it. I can't seem to place it after I dig it so I can't use it for decoration. If it's supposed to be just decoration, would you be willing to allow a user to either place it or craft a crushed white shell sandblock? If it's not supposed to be crafted into anything, I could see using sand covered with the crushed white shell for garden paths or perhaps desert landscaping (crushed white shell bed with the occasional cactus or desert-friendly plant).

If you were willing to consider crafting the crushed white shell into useful items, here are some suggestions:
  • Fertilizer.
  • Decorative dirt or adobe blocks for building.
  • Decorative glass. Something that is clear, has an interesting design or pattern (spiral?) but is not light-emitting. Think: fountains or special windows.
Last edited by Jouster27 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Jouster27 wrote:Ok, I like finding the crushed white shell but it's starting to fill my inventory and there is no way that I can find to use it.
If you were willing to consider crafting the crushed white shell into useful items, here are some suggestions:
  • Fertilizer.
  • Decorative dirt or adobe blocks for building.
  • Decorative glass. Something that is clear, has an interesting design or pattern (spiral?) but is not light-emitting. Think: fountains or special windows.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Crushed shell is a craft item. It's a left-over from the older versions, that I am planning to give a proper use. So don't pulverize it ;-)

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

Errors whenever you select clams:sandalgaeused in your toolbar:
10:44:14: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...netest/mods/minetest-3d_armor/unified_skins/init.lua:17: attempt to concatenate field '?' (a table value)
10:44:14: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
Since it is the first item in my toolbar, now I can't load my world. Fortuantely, I figured-out that I'm able to use the world again if I turn the mod off and pulverize the block but I'd like to not have this error. FYI.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Jouster27 wrote:Errors whenever you select clams:sandalgaeused in your toolbar:
10:44:14: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...netest/mods/minetest-3d_armor/unified_skins/init.lua:17: attempt to concatenate field '?' (a table value)
10:44:14: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
Since it is the first item in my toolbar, now I can't load my world. Fortuantely, I figured-out that I'm able to use the world again if I turn the mod off and pulverize the block but I'd like to not have this error. FYI.
That looks like a bug in 3darmor, not on this mod.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

Topywo wrote:I just installed the 0.2 version and created all the possible nodes.

Then I installed 0.3.1 and took a look.

It seems that all aliases are working fine, both those I placed, as the ones in my inventory. The only unknown stuff are unknown objects (entities) above the algae blocks. Those are the 'old' blue, yellow and red shells. Hitting those makes them disappear (they won't float away). Sometimes there's already a white shell on the same spot.

Then I took a fast fly to a new area. All the new nodes and entities showed up, no unknown nodes or objects.

It's possible that it's another mod that generates unknown ore lacking aliases from another sea-version (I'll fix that soon).

But a few seconds ago I remembered having enabling 'problems' while testing (parts of) the sea-modpack. I sometimes used the clams mod inside the modpack sea and also had a clams outside that modpack in my minetest/mods folder.

Possible solution
Please make sure there's only one sea-modpack (version 0.3.1) in your minetest/mods folder. (Re)move older sea-modpacks and parts from the older sea-modpack (clams or seaplants) from your minetest/mods folder. Then when ingame, check if you enabled the sea-modpack and all the mods inside the sea-modpack.

I hope this caused the problems (and solved them).

Edit: typo's.
Only one version of Sea installed. No extra folder of Clams. Whenever I update a mod, I completely delete the old one and then install the new one. This appears to be some sort of conflict with the 3D Animals mod.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Jouster27 wrote: Only one version of Sea installed. No extra folder of Clams. Whenever I update a mod, I completely delete the old one and then install the new one. This appears to be some sort of conflict with the 3D Animals mod.
Are you still getting the unknown blocks with the latest 0.3.2 version when exploring new areas?

- if that's the case, which of the following nodes do you see and which not
- do one or more of those blocks have an unknown block close by (on top, below, besides)?

Clams
White shell

Coral
Cyan Coral
Magenta Coral
Aqua Coral
Lime Coral
Skyblue Coral
Redviolet Coral

Seaplants
Green Kelp
Brown Kelp
Green Seagrass
Red Seagrass

Maybe it's best to try this out on a test world and to let the game run a time to give the blocks that are not unknown some time to generate.

Do you use the 0.4.7 stable or one of the latest (unstable) builds?

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

Topywo wrote:Are you still getting the unknown blocks with the latest 0.3.2 version when exploring new areas?

- if that's the case, which of the following nodes do you see and which not
- do one or more of those blocks have an unknown block close by (on top, below, besides)?

Clams
White shell

Coral
Cyan Coral
Magenta Coral
Aqua Coral
Lime Coral
Skyblue Coral
Redviolet Coral

Seaplants
Green Kelp
Brown Kelp
Green Seagrass
Red Seagrass

Maybe it's best to try this out on a test world and to let the game run a time to give the blocks that are not unknown some time to generate.

Do you use the 0.4.7 stable or one of the latest (unstable) builds?
I'm using a different world than the one where I was seeing unknown blocks. No previous mod-build blocks. Yeah, I've got all of the blocks you've listed. I'm using 0.4.7-dev.

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

I like this modpack, as it makes the ocean interesting. A suggestion: would it be possible to spawn wrecked boats underwater and have them contain chests in the wreckage?
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Wrecked boats would certainly be nice. If some where to be built, they could be spawned.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Enke wrote:I like this modpack, as it makes the ocean interesting. A suggestion: would it be possible to spawn wrecked boats underwater and have them contain chests in the wreckage?
This is a very good idea, Enke. I would love to see sunken ships in the depths of the seas.

Topywo, if you want to know how to do this, ask BlockMen, Nore, or MirceaKitsune how it can be done. The sea modpack has such great potential.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I like the idea too. I was already thinking about 'stuff' you can find underwater. Also about chests, though as Inocudom suggested, I'll need to peek into/borrow some code.

Since I still need to give crushed shells a new purpose, I guess I'll soon start to work on a 0.4 version.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

Enke wrote:I like this modpack, as it makes the ocean interesting. A suggestion: would it be possible to spawn wrecked boats underwater and have them contain chests in the wreckage?
I like this idea. Still, I kind of think adding shipwrecks to oceans the same way I think of adding ruins to the land: It is cool but you might not want that in all scenarios where you want to add the other sea features. I think it might be a good idea to make it configurable. Now that being said, the idea does raise some interesting material possibilities:
  • Ship's wheel.
  • Weathered wood. Some folks really like the look of wood that's been submerged for a prolonged period of time.
  • Anchor.
  • Portal.
  • Hatchways. Pop it out like a door on land. I can see using it in a castaway treehouse or something similar.

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

Thanks for the support for my idea. I know MirceaKitsune worked on generating buildings. You may want to check his/her stuff. I'm actually in a little bit of shock because I don't often have good ideas.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

metouto

by metouto » Post

Topywo ... can you dig the clams up ????
Last edited by metouto on Mon Nov 18, 2013 04:13, edited 1 time in total.
You can always tell a real friend: when you've made a fool of yourself he doesn't feel you've done a permanent job. ~Laurence J. Peter

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

metouto wrote:Topywo ... can you dig the clams up ????
No, maybe I'll make them collectable in the future (idea of Sokomine). For now you'll need to hit them and they end up crushed.

However, if you take the sand/dirtalgae (used) nodes from below them, you can put it anywhere else (with at least 2 waterblocks above it). First it will turn from used to 'new' and second, in time, there will appear a new clam on top of it.

metouto

by metouto » Post

Thanks for the answer Topywo ... if you did make them collectible then we could cook them in the furnace as a source of food anyway thanks for the quick answer :o)
You can always tell a real friend: when you've made a fool of yourself he doesn't feel you've done a permanent job. ~Laurence J. Peter

Topywo

Re: [Modpack] Sea [0.4.0] [sea]

by Topywo » Post

Version 0.4.0 is out.

Post 1 contains the download link(s) and info.

Most important changes are:
- there is now a use for crushed white (shells), some different types of blocks
- stairs and slabs
- lights can be punched on and off

I hope you enjoy this mod.

Edit:

Sokomine, With these lines around number 228 (above: colormachine.ordered = {} ) the blocks can make use of your colormachine:

Code: Select all

--	sea-modpack
	seaglass_seaglass_				={nr=43, modname='seaglass', shades={0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0}, grey_shades={1,0,0,0,1}, u=0, descr="seagls", block="seaglass:seaglass", add="seaglass_", p=1},
	seacobble_seacobble_			={nr=44, modname='seacobble', shades={0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0}, grey_shades={1,0,0,0,1}, u=1, descr="seacob", block="seacobble:seacobble", add="seacobble_", p=1},
	seastone_seastone_				={nr=45, modname='seastone', shades={0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0}, grey_shades={1,0,0,0,1}, u=1, descr="seasto", block="seastone:seastone", add="seastone_", p=1},
	seagravel_seagravel_				={nr=46, modname='seagravel', shades={0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0}, grey_shades={1,0,0,0,1}, u=1, descr="seagrv", block="seagravel:seagravel", add="seagravel_", p=1},

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Topywo wrote:Version 0.4.0 is out.

Post 1 contains the download link(s) and info.

Most important changes are:
- there is now a use for crushed white (shells), some different types of blocks
- stairs and slabs
- lights can be punched on and off

I hope you enjoy this mod.

Edit:

Sokomine, With these lines around number 228 (above: colormachine.ordered = {} ) the blocks can make use of your colormachine:

Code: Select all

--	sea-modpack
	seaglass_seaglass_				={nr=43, modname='seaglass', shades={0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0}, grey_shades={1,0,0,0,1}, u=0, descr="seagls", block="seaglass:seaglass", add="seaglass_", p=1},
	seacobble_seacobble_			={nr=44, modname='seacobble', shades={0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0}, grey_shades={1,0,0,0,1}, u=1, descr="seacob", block="seacobble:seacobble", add="seacobble_", p=1},
	seastone_seastone_				={nr=45, modname='seastone', shades={0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0}, grey_shades={1,0,0,0,1}, u=1, descr="seasto", block="seastone:seastone", add="seastone_", p=1},
	seagravel_seagravel_				={nr=46, modname='seagravel', shades={0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0}, grey_shades={1,0,0,0,1}, u=1, descr="seagrv", block="seagravel:seagravel", add="seagravel_", p=1},
If only there was a server out there that would use this mod.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Topywo wrote: I hope you enjoy this mod.
I do. First time I downloaded, and yes, I most definitely do.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Inocudom, philipbenr, thanks for your comments!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Topywo wrote: Sokomine, With these lines around number 228 (above: colormachine.ordered = {} ) the blocks can make use of your colormachine:
You forgot your seastonebricks :-) I've added them as well. The new version of the colormachine will support this version of the sea modpack.
Seems quite a lot of blocks got added since I last checked. It's time to start a new singleplayer world I guess :-)