[Modpack] 3D Armor [0.4.13] [minetest-3d_armor]

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

They are not minecraft-like they are flat against skin, have diffrperent textures, and the legs and shoes are combined in this mod.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

LorenzoVulcan wrote:
0gb.us wrote:
No, armour is too Minecraft-like. It's okay for people who want it, but it would be sad to see the default game become too close to what Minecraft is like.

Unless you mean only the visible wield items. I get the feeling that's going to be added to default Minetest eventually.
Armors are necessary to PVP,independently they're minecraft-like or not.And i think they're not minecraft-like.
So this should be added to player versus player servers, not the default game.
jojoa1997 wrote:They are not minecraft-like they are flat against skin, have diffrperent textures, and the legs and shoes are combined in this mod.
Being flat against the skin is just the style. It's not the style that I'm commenting on. Having armour at all is quite Minecraft-like, and I don't think any style of armour belongs in the default game.

Besides, it encourages fighting. On some servers, that's fine, but others are build/peaceful servers instead. Recommending this to be added to PvP servers is one thing, and I would agree that this would be nice on PvP servers. But I do not agree that this belongs in the default game.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Armor is not minecraft's idea. A lot of games have armor so why cant minetest. just because minecraft was made first and it has armor doesn't mean that minecrafts owns the armor idea. if you want to play the armor idea then everyone stole it from that one person who thought of having protection while practicing fighting however many years ago has the claim to the armor idea so having armor in minetest is NOT minecraft like at all.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

... Armor doesn't do much for singleplayer games, unfortunately! I think that multiplayer-weighted items shouldn't be included in core minetest for that reason. If something doesn't make sense for singleplayer, we shouldn't include it.

By the way, fantastic mod.
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

tinoesroho wrote:... Armor doesn't do much for singleplayer games, unfortunately! I think that multiplayer-weighted items shouldn't be included in core minetest for that reason. If something doesn't make sense for singleplayer, we shouldn't include it.

By the way, fantastic mod.
when mobs are added to the singleplayer game then it would be useful. For now it is a nice addition just to have handy.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

I don't think we'll see mobs in core minetest for a year - the various mods are quite "unready for use", and a mobs API is off in the future.
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

there were mobs before but for some reason celeron got rid of them.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

Jordach wrote:At some point I will fork this and make a better system for hand wielding. Me thanks GPL V3.

EDIT: Because I know a little about the engine, I might be able to make the hand wielding a little less laggy.
That's great, I rather hoped someone might pick up on the basic concept and take it further.

Reading a recent post in the 'mod questions' thread gave me an idea how to improve the wielded item handling somewhat.

I admit that it is still not ideal but I am much happier with this approach and will probably update the mod sometime over the weekend.

In the meantime anyone interested can apply the following patch:

Code: Select all

66,67d65
< local player_wielded_item = {}
< local time = 0
138,148c136
< end
< 
< local function update_wielded_item(player)
<     local name = player:get_player_name()
<     local stack = player:get_wielded_item()
<     local item = stack:get_name()
<     if player_wielded_item[name] == item then
<         return
<     end
<     player_wielded_item[name] = item
<     set_player_armor(player)
---
>     minetest.after(4, set_player_armor, player)
196,206d183
< 
< minetest.register_globalstep(function(dtime)
<     time = time + dtime
<     if time > 4 then
<         for _,player in ipairs(minetest.get_connected_players()) do
<             update_wielded_item(player)
<         end
<         time = 0
<     end
< end)
< 
Again, thanks for all the encouraging comments and ideas.

Josh

by Josh » Post

0gb.us wrote:
LorenzoVulcan wrote:
0gb.us wrote:
No, armour is too Minecraft-like. It's okay for people who want it, but it would be sad to see the default game become too close to what Minecraft is like.

Unless you mean only the visible wield items. I get the feeling that's going to be added to default Minetest eventually.
Armors are necessary to PVP,independently they're minecraft-like or not.And i think they're not minecraft-like.
So this should be added to player versus player servers, not the default game.
jojoa1997 wrote:They are not minecraft-like they are flat against skin, have diffrperent textures, and the legs and shoes are combined in this mod.
Being flat against the skin is just the style. It's not the style that I'm commenting on. Having armour at all is quite Minecraft-like, and I don't think any style of armour belongs in the default game.

Besides, it encourages fighting. On some servers, that's fine, but others are build/peaceful servers instead. Recommending this to be added to PvP servers is one thing, and I would agree that this would be nice on PvP servers. But I do not agree that this belongs in the default game.
You have a point. But if you don't want something in minetest, you can always remove it :)

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

stu wrote:
Jordach wrote:At some point I will fork this and make a better system for hand wielding. Me thanks GPL V3.

EDIT: Because I know a little about the engine, I might be able to make the hand wielding a little less laggy.
That's great, I rather hoped someone might pick up on the basic concept and take it further.

Reading a recent post in the 'mod questions' thread gave me an idea how to improve the wielded item handling somewhat.

I admit that it is still not ideal but I am much happier with this approach and will probably update the mod sometime over the weekend.

In the meantime anyone interested can apply the following patch:

66,67d65
< local player_wielded_item = {}
< local time = 0
138,148c136
< end
< 
< local function update_wielded_item(player)
<     local name = player:get_player_name()
<     local stack = player:get_wielded_item()
<     local item = stack:get_name()
<     if player_wielded_item[name] == item then
<         return
<     end
<     player_wielded_item[name] = item
<     set_player_armor(player)
---
>     minetest.after(4, set_player_armor, player)
196,206d183
< 
< minetest.register_globalstep(function(dtime)
<     time = time + dtime
<     if time > 4 then
<         for _,player in ipairs(minetest.get_connected_players()) do
<             update_wielded_item(player)
<         end
<         time = 0
<     end
< end)
< 
Again, thanks for all the encouraging comments and ideas.
I dont know how patches work, could it be possible to generate an init.lua file?

LorenzoVulcan
GitHub: aegroto

by LorenzoVulcan » Post

Can i give you a suggestion?

Now this mod is incompatible with mod like In-game Skin Switching: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4147

Can't you render the .x file with compatible skin schemes?
Developer of the BlockForge 2# Project!
Official thread: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 290#p54290

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

"Someone (I forgot who) made a "3D Armor" mod"
According to the readme, Kaeza "forgot" who made this mod despite it's WIP state and made his own version.

stu

by stu » Post

Jordach wrote:I dont know how patches work, could it be possible to generate an init.lua file?
on a real operating system you would use: patch init.lua < foobar.patch. IIRC you can maybe do this with MSYS under windoze.
4aiman wrote:According to the readme, Kaeza "forgot" who made this mod despite it's WIP state and made his own version.
I think Kaeza was referring to your 3d armor entity thread there. He does not seem to even acknowledge the existence of this mod. To be fair though, I did not even release this as a mod myself, it got moved here from modding general and re-titled by some admin.

Anyway, Kaeza is quite welcome to use this idea with the existing armor mod because that is exactly what I did not want to do. There should be no wood (shield excepted) or stone armor for sure. Even copper, gold and silver are a bit wrong IMO.

@LorenzoVulcan I do plan to include some limited support for the player skin switching. Unfortunately it is not something as straightforward as rendering the .x to fit the skin. The skin needs to fit the mesh and will therefore need to be re-sized in order to work with the new wielded items model.
Last edited by stu on Fri Feb 15, 2013 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

stu wrote:on a real operating system you would use: patch init.lua < foobar.patch. IIRC you can maybe do this with MSYS under windoze.
"patch init.lua foobar.patch" works too, no need for the "<".

stu

by stu » Post

Mod Updated. Offical release, version: 0.1.0

Armor now takes damage when a player is hurt but also offers a chance of healing!

Added: limited support for player skin switching (see: player_skins.txt)
Added: Wooden Shield and Enhanced Wooden Shield
Added: wieldable items, all default tools (axe, shovel, pick, sword) are now visible.

Many improvements have been been made to the base code, including wrapping the inner workings in an api while keeping the mod easily extendable via its init.lua.

See top post for updated screenie.

I would still like to find a better way of catching player damage rather than constantly monitoring player health points.

I did post a question about a week ago in this thread: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php ... 595#p70595 However, I fear it may have gotten lost among the trees...

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

Goodwork, couldn't you just have multiple textures on the model? one for the player, one for the wield item?
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

stu

by stu » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:Goodwork, couldn't you just have multiple textures on the model? one for the player, one for the wield item?
Not sure I get your meaning...is that not what I am already doing?

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

stu wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:Goodwork, couldn't you just have multiple textures on the model? one for the player, one for the wield item?
Not sure I get your meaning...is that not what I am already doing?
Aren't you having the player's wield item be part of their skin?

stu

by stu » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:Aren't you having the player's wield item be part of their skin?
Not quite, the wielded item image is merged with the player skin, as are the individual armor images. Only problem is, all images need to be the same size for this to work. If you know a better way to accomplish this then I would really love to hear it.

Cheers!

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

stu wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:Aren't you having the player's wield item be part of their skin?
Not quite, the wielded item image is merged with the player skin, as are the individual armor images. Only problem is, all images need to be the same size for this to work. If you know a better way to accomplish this then I would really love to hear it.

Cheers!
So what you're saying is it can work with any 16x16 image? How does the wield image get stuck onto the hand?

stu

by stu » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:So what you're saying is it can work with any 16x16 image? How does the wield image get stuck onto the hand?
By merging the image with the unwrap vector map (or skin) of a customized player mesh.

Edit: Or more correctly, character mesh ;)
Last edited by stu on Sun Feb 24, 2013 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

stu wrote:
I believe you can now attach entities to parts of the player mesh, so you can spawn a Lua entity with a mesh that represents the tool the player is wielding. That might be a lot more work though, of course.

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

stu wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:So what you're saying is it can work with any 16x16 image? How does the wield image get stuck onto the hand?
By merging the image with the unwrap vector map (or skin) of a customized player mesh.

Edit: Or more correctly, character mesh ;)
Oh so whatever you're wielding does show? or only certain things? I'm kind of confused.

stu

by stu » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:Oh so whatever you're wielding does show? or only certain things? I'm kind of confused.
Additional wieldable items can be included via init.lua

armor_api.wieldable_items = {
    ["default:sword_steel"] = "3d_armor_default_sword_steel.png",
    ["default:sword_stone"] = "3d_armor_default_sword_stone.png",
    ["default:sword_wood"] = "3d_armor_default_sword_wood.png",
    ["default:pick_mese"] = "3d_armor_default_pick_mese.png",
    ["default:pick_steel"] = "3d_armor_default_pick_steel.png",
    ["default:pick_stone"] = "3d_armor_default_pick_stone.png",
    ["default:pick_wood"] = "3d_armor_default_pick_wood.png",
    ["default:axe_steel"] = "3d_armor_default_axe_steel.png",
    ["default:axe_stone"] = "3d_armor_default_axe_stone.png",
    ["default:axe_wood"] = "3d_armor_default_axe_wood.png",
    ["default:shovel_steel"] = "3d_armor_default_shovel_steel.png",
    ["default:shovel_stone"] = "3d_armor_default_shovel_stone.png",
    ["default:shovel_wood"] = "3d_armor_default_shovel_wood.png",
}
Just look at those already included for an example.
Last edited by stu on Mon Feb 25, 2013 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:Oh so whatever you're wielding does show? or only certain things? I'm kind of confused.
By default nothing does, but mods like this one are aiming at fixing that, with the help of some game engine features behind the scenes.