[Modpack] 3D Armor [0.4.13] [minetest-3d_armor]

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

stu wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:Oh so whatever you're wielding does show? or only certain things? I'm kind of confused.
Additional wieldable items can be included via init.lua

Code: Select all

armor_api.wieldable_items = {
    ["default:sword_steel"] = "3d_armor_default_sword_steel.png",
    ["default:sword_stone"] = "3d_armor_default_sword_stone.png",
    ["default:sword_wood"] = "3d_armor_default_sword_wood.png",
    ["default:pick_mese"] = "3d_armor_default_pick_mese.png",
    ["default:pick_steel"] = "3d_armor_default_pick_steel.png",
    ["default:pick_stone"] = "3d_armor_default_pick_stone.png",
    ["default:pick_wood"] = "3d_armor_default_pick_wood.png",
    ["default:axe_steel"] = "3d_armor_default_axe_steel.png",
    ["default:axe_stone"] = "3d_armor_default_axe_stone.png",
    ["default:axe_wood"] = "3d_armor_default_axe_wood.png",
    ["default:shovel_steel"] = "3d_armor_default_shovel_steel.png",
    ["default:shovel_stone"] = "3d_armor_default_shovel_stone.png",
    ["default:shovel_wood"] = "3d_armor_default_shovel_wood.png",
}
Just look at those included for an example.
Why not just check the wield item's wield texture on the go and just use that so you don't have to define every SINGLE THING that is installed?
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:Why not just check the wield item's wield texture on the go and just use that so you don't have to define every SINGLE THING that is installed?
A. Because I don't even think it is currently possible to read an items texture (could be mistaken here)
B. The image needs to be re-sized to 64x64 to fit my customized mesh.

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

stu wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:Why not just check the wield item's wield texture on the go and just use that so you don't have to define every SINGLE THING that is installed?
A. Because I don't even think it is currently possible to read an items texture (could be mistaken here)
B. The image needs to be re-sized to 64x64 to fit my customized mesh.
A: Yes you can
B: Why not resize your mesh to fix 16x16?

stu

by stu » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:A: Yes you can
Well, on both counts, I do not know how to do that.
Last edited by stu on Mon Feb 25, 2013 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

stu wrote:
Here, this will check if the wield item's texture, and if it is a block it will use the first texture from the tile face.

minetest.register_globalstep(function(dtime)
    for _,player in ipairs(minetest.get_connected_players()) do
        local wielded_item = player:get_wielded_item()
        local readable_wielded_item = wielded_item:to_table()
        if readable_wielded_item ~= nil then
            local get_item_name = readable_wielded_item.name
            local wield_item_texture = minetest.registered_items[get_item_name].inventory_image
            if wield_item_texture == "" then
                local wield_item_texture = minetest.registered_items[get_item_name].tiles[1]
            end
            print(dump(wield_item_texture))
        end
    end
end)
Last edited by jordan4ibanez on Mon Feb 25, 2013 02:43, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

stu wrote:
Jordach wrote:I dont know how patches work, could it be possible to generate an init.lua file?
on a real operating system you would use: patch init.lua < foobar.patch. IIRC you can maybe do this with MSYS under windoze.
4aiman wrote:According to the readme, Kaeza "forgot" who made this mod despite it's WIP state and made his own version.
I think Kaeza was referring to your 3d armor entity thread there. He does not seem to even acknowledge the existence of this mod. To be fair though, I did not even release this as a mod myself, it got moved here from modding general and re-titled by some admin.

Anyway, Kaeza is quite welcome to use this idea with the existing armor mod because that is exactly what I did not want to do. There should be no wood (shield excepted) or stone armor for sure. Even copper, gold and silver are a bit wrong IMO.

@LorenzoVulcan I do plan to include some limited support for the player skin switching. Unfortunately it is not something as straightforward as rendering the .x to fit the skin. The skin needs to fit the mesh and will therefore need to be re-sized in order to work with the new wielded items model.
I will switch my mod into something different (sorry, I didn't notice this mod was already started).
BTW, what is your method for "displaying" the armors? Do you use overlayed textures?
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

How do you have players holding items?

Since I like to make it, work for my Portaltest.
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

stu

by stu » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:
stu wrote:
Here, this will check if the wield item's texture, and if it is a block it will use the first texture from the tile face.

minetest.register_globalstep(function(dtime)
    for _,player in ipairs(minetest.get_connected_players()) do
        local wielded_item = player:get_wielded_item()
        local readable_wielded_item = wielded_item:to_table()
        if readable_wielded_item ~= nil then
            local get_item_name = readable_wielded_item.name
            local wield_item_texture = minetest.registered_items[get_item_name].inventory_image
            if wield_item_texture == "" then
                local wield_item_texture = minetest.registered_items[get_item_name].tiles[1]
            end
            print(dump(wield_item_texture))
        end
    end
end)
Thankyou for the code, I never thought of using minetest.registered.item for this, however, that only solves problem A. Problem B might not be so easy without changing the engine itself to support multiple texture maps of different sizes/resolutions.
kaeza wrote:I will switch my mod into something different (sorry, I didn't notice this mod was already started).
No problem, but I really don't think that should be neccessary. Armor_plus would be a very useful addition to the existing armor mod, esp. for those already using it. Just because I don't like the idea of stone armor etc, there are plenty of people who do want that. Armor_plus would also not (as yet) require any changes to the character mesh, which this mod does. That gives it a number of advantages, like much easier integration of player skins.
kaeza wrote:BTW, what is your method for "displaying" the armors? Do you use overlayed textures?
Yes, though not ideal, it does seem to work so long as the images are all kept the same size as the player skin.
Likwid H-Craft wrote:How do you have players holding items?

Since I like to make it, work for my Portaltest.
It's all done with smoke and mirrors...maybe this image will give you an idea.

Last edited by stu on Mon Feb 25, 2013 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

that looks great, but could you please move your code into a repository like git or hg so it would be easier to update your mod for a server-admin.
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

stu

by stu » Post

Iqualfragile wrote:that looks great, but could you please move your code into a repository like git or hg so it would be easier to update your mod for a server-admin.
Aboslutely, i will do that, very soon. I've been thinking about it for a while... I'll get on to it asap, I promise.

Cheers.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

stu wrote:
Iqualfragile wrote:that looks great, but could you please move your code into a repository like git or hg so it would be easier to update your mod for a server-admin.
Aboslutely, i will do that, very soon. I've been thinking about it for a while... I'll get on to it asap, I promise.

Cheers.
Oh yes please! What could be done is something clever. Perhaps 64x packs may not need to scale their images, as their items are already at the said 64x.

stu

by stu » Post

Mod Updaded, version: 0.1.1

All wielded items are now visible (thanks jordan4ibanez)
Player skins no longer need to be re-sized as this is now all done in lua.

As requested, I uploaded 3d_armor to an online git repository. Please bear with me as it is my first time using git.

See top post for details.

Cheers!
Last edited by stu on Sun Mar 03, 2013 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

maybe have weilded items be a bit smaller. maybe half as small
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Splizard
GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

by Splizard » Post

This is a great mod!
Games: Builda City, The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters, Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

this bring a lot of progress to the game o.o

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

thanks for using a repositry, im now testing it on my server with some players, im gona give you feedback when i think that there is something improvable
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

and there we go:

23:57:56: ACTION[ServerThread]: player Iqualfragile crafts default:sign_wall
23:58:04: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...minetest/bin/../mods/minetest/3d_armor/armor_api.lua:32: attempt to index field 'tiles' (a nil value)
happened when i tried to write sth on a sign (pilzadams signs)

stu

by stu » Post

Iqualfragile wrote:and there we go:

23:57:56: ACTION[ServerThread]: player Iqualfragile crafts default:sign_wall
23:58:04: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...minetest/bin/../mods/minetest/3d_armor/armor_api.lua:32: attempt to index field 'tiles' (a nil value)
happened when i tried to write sth on a sign (pilzadams signs)
Hopefully the latest commit fixes that?

Thank you all for your comments.
Last edited by stu on Sun Mar 03, 2013 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

17:07:31: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...minetest/bin/../mods/minetest/3d_armor/armor_api.lua:32: attempt to index field 'tiles' (a nil value)
17:07:31: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
updatet to the latest git (as always) sadly not fixed yet, a player was crafting at that time

stu

by stu » Post

Iqualfragile wrote:

17:07:31: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...minetest/bin/../mods/minetest/3d_armor/armor_api.lua:32: attempt to index field 'tiles' (a nil value)
17:07:31: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
updatet to the latest git (as always) sadly not fixed yet, a player was crafting at that time
Sorry about that, it was getting late. I think I have fixed it now though, I've been playing for over an hour doing various things and had no errors so far.

Note to others: omploader seems to be having problems atm. I will update the direct download link asap.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

stu: you can use github for that, too

stu

by stu » Post

Iqualfragile wrote:stu: you can use github for that, too
Good point, I did want to provide an alternative download but omp has been a bit flakey of late. Besides this way is far less maintenance.

Cheers.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

stability report: did not crash so far when used on in any standard situation but i think there might be an crash related to unknown items

but thanks for the mod, it realy adds to the game
Last edited by Iqualfragile on Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

another one: it would be great if you could split the mod into its two components: the api and the real armor (you do allready have seperate files for that anyways), that would be great

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Well... I was gonna do this with my armorplus mod, but since you found how to workaround the problem with different texture sizes, why don't you make something like a "unified skins" mod, where you can register custom skins, and also each player can have different clothing, maybe unrelated to actual armor?
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal