[Mod] travelnet teleporters/bookmarks [2.0][travelnet]

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Mod] travelnet teleporters/bookmarks [2.0][travelnet]

by Sokomine » Post

ManElevation wrote: how do u use them
Place the travelnet (or elevator), right-click it, enter a station name and network name (not needed on elevators; on travelnets, just use the same name for all your travelnets unless you want to split it up - i.e. a name like "public"). Punch a station to update it, right-click and select a destination from the menu to travel there.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Heraclitus

by Heraclitus » Post

Really terrific mod.

Is it my imagination, or does the "autorotate" feature no longer work in the newest Minetest release? (That is, when you arrive at your destination, you used to be rotated to face the exit of the elevator. That no longer seems to happen for me.)

Alcyone
IRC: Alcyone
In-game: Alcyone

by Alcyone » Post

I read all the pages of this topic but I didn't succeed to understand how privileges really work : do I need a privilige to just create a travelnet box ? Is it possible on a server to grant the right to build/one only to an admin for example ?

I think that would we really important on a server to avoid inappropriate use and only use it for specific purposes.

-- Alcyone --

Website with french articles on MT : alcyone.toile-libre.org

christoferlevich
GitHub: ChristoferL

by christoferlevich » Post

I have two questions...

Using elevators - Can I remove the actual text in the button? I would like to use math problems in the floor description to define the floor (for example, third floor would be 'described' as 1+2). the problem I am having is the button for floor three says '2' because floor one is 'G' - I would rather have blank buttons or insert a character of insignificance (punctuation mark?). This could go a long way in an educational version I am developing. - I am using a travelnet box set up to do the same thing, so this may have been 'solved'.

Mated Teleporter Device - Would it be difficult to create a 'device' the player carries to allow him to teleport into a travelnet network? I have students constantly getting lost in caves, and that would be useful to 'save' them by allowing them to teleport back to our 'town'.

This is a great mod! Thanks!
everything can be a learning experience...

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Heraclitus wrote: Is it my imagination, or does the "autorotate" feature no longer work in the newest Minetest release? (That is, when you arrive at your destination, you used to be rotated to face the exit of the elevator. That no longer seems to happen for me.)
Hm, maybe lag? It still works for me in most recent versions.
Alcyone wrote: I read all the pages of this topic but I didn't succeed to understand how privileges really work : do I need a privilige to just create a travelnet box ? Is it possible on a server to grant the right to build/one only to an admin for example ?
If you install the mod, all players can craft travelnets and place them. The priv "travelnet_attach" is only necessary if you want to add travelnets to the networks of others. This could be of intrest if you've got a sightseeing-networks and several moderators who want to contribute to that network. On most servers it's hardly ever needed because players construct their own networks and create hubs where it's possible to switch from one network to another. If you want to limit travelnets to admins, just remove the craft receipe (if in survival mode) and use /giveme to get a travelnet when you want to place one as admin.
Alcyone wrote: I think that would we really important on a server to avoid inappropriate use and only use it for specific purposes.
That highly depends on which usages you don't want. It's possible to decide that only admins can place them and thus i.e. major towns and the bottom of the public mine are connected. I personally think that's a bit limited. It's nice to be able to do a sightseeing tour and visit all the places one player built once you've discovered a nice build and want to see more by the same builder.
christoferlevich wrote: Using elevators - Can I remove the actual text in the button? I would like to use math problems in the floor description to define the floor (for example, third floor would be 'described' as 1+2). the problem I am having is the button for floor three says '2' because floor one is 'G' - I would rather have blank buttons or insert a character of insignificance (punctuation mark?). This could go a long way in an educational version I am developing. - I am using a travelnet box set up to do the same thing, so this may have been 'solved'.
Well, you can change the mod so that it shows no text on the buttons, but that might not really help you. Your students could still just travel to any floor and take a look aroud there. Perhaps one of my other mods, namely locks, could help you. I've also created a locked travelnet, but not a locked elevator. When right-clicking any of these, a formspec appears and asks for a command. Type "/set 5" if you i.e. want to set the password to "5". Any other players passing by can then open the door or use the locked travelnet if they type the right password (in this case: 5) into the input field. You'd still need a sign nearby giving hints as to what the password might be (i.e. "4+1 = ?"). And keep in mind that you - the placer of the object - can always use it; so try with another player. You will also need a keychain to operate any locked objects, and the door opens on left-click (used to be so in older versions of MT). The password is not very safe as it is stored in the nodes metadata.

The general purpose of the locks mod is to be able to share objects with some specific other players. The password option was just a nice addtion. Perhaps I ought to reverse that now. As for sharing objects, it turned out to be a lot easier to just grant anyone access whom the player granted the right to build at that spot. Afaik the Landrush mod was the first to do it that way. It saves a lot of trouble and typing. On the other hand, objects that become useable only after solving some kind of riddle (i.e. guessing the password, carrying a special item, ...) could be very useful both for educational use and for creating adventure maps with quests. The current interface is not very useful for this purpose. A hint to the answer needs to be given somewhere.
christoferlevich wrote: Mated Teleporter Device - Would it be difficult to create a 'device' the player carries to allow him to teleport into a travelnet network? I have students constantly getting lost in caves, and that would be useful to 'save' them by allowing them to teleport back to our 'town'.
Not really difficult, but perhaps not the right tool. What you describe is called spawn. Just type "/spawn" on any decent server and you'll end up on the central meeting place of that server. "/sethome" sets your home, and "/home" brings you back there. A spawn command is essential for a server as players might not just get lost but also fall into deep holes out of which they could not escape if their inventory is empty.

spyjoshx
IRC: spyjoshx
In-game: spyjoshx

by spyjoshx » Post

Just so you know, the images in the OP are broken...

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

spyjoshx wrote: Just so you know, the images in the OP are broken...
Thanks for the info. That sadly happens to many of my mods due to free image hosters disappearing. I'll have to see if i can find the images on my disk again. This constant re-upload of screenshots is tiresome :-(

hajo

by hajo » Post

Sokomine wrote:Normal travelnet box, elevator station with open steel doors,
travelnet box with closed glass doors ..
Elevator doors can be made out of glass or steel. ..
Normal doors can be used as well!
I guess these door are only for decoration,
and the travelnet-box will work fine without doors ?

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Hi,

First, many thanks for this mod!!!

I need Help to use it.

I buildt one house with 3 floors, and I added 1 elevator at each floor, assigning the floor number to each. But the elevator at floor 0 don't show the others floors (see images)...

what's wrong?

thanks,

R

christoferlevich
GitHub: ChristoferL

by christoferlevich » Post

Codesound wrote: I buildt one house with 3 floors, and I added 1 elevator at each floor, assigning the floor number to each. But the elevator at floor 0 don't show the others floors (see images)...

what's wrong?
Are all the elevators in line vertically in your floorplan?
everything can be a learning experience...

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

christoferlevich wrote:
Codesound wrote: I buildt one house with 3 floors, and I added 1 elevator at each floor, assigning the floor number to each. But the elevator at floor 0 don't show the others floors (see images)...

what's wrong?
Are all the elevators in line vertically in your floorplan?
Hi,

Thanks for your interesting of my problem!

Yes, all the elevators are in line vertically in my floorplan...

R

PS: windows10_x64, Minetest 0.4.16, Sokomine-travelnet-121f8f6.zip

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Did you puch the elevators at the lower floors? Punching makes them update tehir station list.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

hajo wrote: I guess these door are only for decoration,
and the travelnet-box will work fine without doors ?
That's right. Those old telephone cells did have doors, so a door does seem logical. Doors are also found on elevators (else they're more like paternosters). If you want fast travel, don't use doors on the travelnets. But if you want them to look nice, a door might help. The travelnets and elevators have special ways for opening the door in front of them. Without the formspec (the <> button) it won't be possible to click on the door with the mouse and open the door the usual way - you'll always get the travelnet's formspec.

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Sokomine wrote:Did you puch the elevators at the lower floors? Punching makes them update tehir station list.
Hi,

many thanks, I forgot to punch it.... now work correctly....

thanks again

R

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

Will this mod be made to support translation? If translation support is added, I could use this mod in my region-specific server that don't use any English... This is not some kind of anti-international server or what, my server is just a place for players who wanted to play in our language, they could go to other servers to play in English...

If you do want to support it, maybe have a look at intllib?

I do know that I could just translate English words directly at the lua file, but if there's update to the mod then the changes at those words would be overwritten with English words again...

also, you might want to read the issues and pull requests (PR) on travelnet's github... afaik, you could close the issue / PR if it has been implemented or you don't want to implement it, just write as comment to the issue / PR if it's already implemented or if it's not, write why you don't want it...

hisforeverkid
In-game: Hisforever

by hisforeverkid » Post

This is really Great! Just 1 Question How do you name the travel boxes. I'm a slow leaner so I don'y understand a lot.

AndroBuilder
In-game: AndroBuilder

by AndroBuilder » Post

Hello, great mod!!!

what does the "owner" result in? Is there any special to be aware of?

the "net" it is registered in ... are seperated with spaces?

can i prevent those boxes to be destroyed/taken?

scottwolff
In-game: scottwolff or some variant of iasiney

by scottwolff » Post

When I've used travelnet. Solid mod, don't remember any problems with it. I'd almost use it over any other mod. The only reason I don't use it currently is because of theming but even then, I'd make room for it in the theme :)

barsik
GitHub: bvs23bkv33
In-game: barsik

unexpected behaviour

by barsik » Post

elevator belongs not to player who put it in world, but to player who first clicked elevator cabin to configure it

Darkwar
GitHub: Darkwar
IRC: Darkwar
In-game: cooljar10

by Darkwar » Post

how come when i try adding someone alse name it wont let me it just put mine i have the attached priv ?

Alcyone
IRC: Alcyone
In-game: Alcyone

by Alcyone » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Alcyone wrote: I read all the pages of this topic but I didn't succeed to understand how privileges really work : do I need a privilige to just create a travelnet box ? Is it possible on a server to grant the right to build/one only to an admin for example ?
If you install the mod, all players can craft travelnets and place them. The priv "travelnet_attach" is only necessary if you want to add travelnets to the networks of others. This could be of intrest if you've got a sightseeing-networks and several moderators who want to contribute to that network. On most servers it's hardly ever needed because players construct their own networks and create hubs where it's possible to switch from one network to another. If you want to limit travelnets to admins, just remove the craft receipe (if in survival mode) and use /giveme to get a travelnet when you want to place one as admin.
Alcyone wrote: I think that would we really important on a server to avoid inappropriate use and only use it for specific purposes.
That highly depends on which usages you don't want. It's possible to decide that only admins can place them and thus i.e. major towns and the bottom of the public mine are connected. I personally think that's a bit limited. It's nice to be able to do a sightseeing tour and visit all the places one player built once you've discovered a nice build and want to see more by the same builder.
A bit late : thank you for your answer :) removing craft recipe is enough in my case. I agree with your analysis.
-- Alcyone --

Website with french articles on MT : alcyone.toile-libre.org

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

In short:
  • to remove a station, click on "Remove station" in the menu
  • several small improvements made
  • bugs fixed
  • pull requests merged (sound, localization, ...)
  • added support for MineClone2
Please update and report any remaining bugs!

I havn't posted in the thread in a while. This is mostly due to some slight changes beeing made and tested in the meantime.
Codesound wrote: Yes, all the elevators are in line vertically in my floorplan...
Elevators provide some information now about where the next other elevator you have placed is. This will hopefully make it easier to place them correctly.
muhdnurhidayat wrote: Will this mod be made to support translation? If translation support is added, I could use this mod in my region-specific server that don't use any English...
Support for translations has been added. German and Russian are now supported. Spanish and French will hopefully be added soon.
muhdnurhidayat wrote: also, you might want to read the issues and pull requests (PR) on travelnet's github... afaik, you could close the issue / PR if it has been implemented or you don't want to implement it, just write as comment to the issue / PR if it's already implemented or if it's not, write why you don't want it...
Thank you for having reminded me. I usually tend to my mods from time to time, with large gaps between (unless it is something urgent). For one particular travelnet problem - namely not beeing able to dig unconfigured boxes without configuring them first - it took me some time to find a good solution. I'm very thankful for VanessaE for keeping reminding me! So please keep telling me about problems even if I don't have time/ideas to fix the problems fast.

Merged pull requests:
  • spelling error found by nanepiwo
  • Update to Readme.md by cornernote
  • Screenshot and description.txt, added by 22i
  • pyrollo made elevator doors react to mesecon signals
  • theFox6 made sure that the state of reattached stations is saved so that they don't get lost again
  • beyondlimits added missing formspec_escape
  • poikilos added sounds (some players where missing them)
  • zeuner added mod.conf
  • codexp helped a lot with adjustments to the locale support and added support for the Russian language
  • SmallJoker added support for save_write (less danger of file corruption if writing of data fails; there's now a backup)
Other Changes (done and committed some time ago already):
  • Stations can now be moved up or down in the list via buttons
  • TNT and/or aggressive mobs can no longer destroy travelnets
  • new elevator door (tin)
  • various changes to hopefully make the formspecs easier to understand
  • added support for MineClone2
  • added button for removing a travelnet/elevator station (they can't be digged manually as punching serves to update the formspec)
  • fixed bug when attaching a station to a network owned by someone else
  • try harder to rotate the player into the right direction even if the area is not yet loaded
  • open doors correctly again so that the player can walk out of the destination station unhindered
  • version bumped to 2.3 (tag added)
AndroBuilder wrote: what does the "owner" result in? Is there any special to be aware of?
The owner is the one who configured the box. Admins (or players with the travelnet_attach priv) can attach travelnet stations to the networks of other players. That field is for identifying the owner of the network they want to attach the station to. If you don't have the priv and are not maintaining a network, please ignore that field. I hope to have made it a bit clearer in the formspec now.
AndroBuilder wrote: the "net" it is registered in ... are seperated with spaces?
Each player can create multiple networks for diffrent purposes (or if the maximum amount of stations that can be displayed is reached). You can i.e. seperate points worth of sightseeing, places where you gather ressources, connections to friends etc. into seperate networks if you wish to.
AndroBuilder wrote: can i prevent those boxes to be destroyed/taken?
Only the owner or players with travelnet_remove priv can remove stations. Unconfigured stations can be grabbed by anyone. There's also the function travelnet.can_dig(..) for servers, but that is of no intrest to users.
scottwolff wrote: The only reason I don't use it currently is because of theming but even then, I'd make room for it in the theme :)
Just put textures that fit into your theme into the appropriate folders. Or use minetest.override_item(..) in your mod if you want to change more (i.e. diffrent model). For MineClone2, I've added diffrent textures so that the stations look like wooden boxes. That way, they can be used as outhouses or wardrobes in medieval worlds:
barsik wrote: elevator belongs not to player who put it in world, but to player who first clicked elevator cabin to configure it
That is intentional. Do you have a problem with it? Does it need change? Sometimes people set up travelnet hubs and leave stations deliberately unconfigured so that others can add to the hub without having to be able to build there.
Darkwar wrote: how come when i try adding someone alse name it wont let me it just put mine i have the attached priv ?
That really ought to work - as long as owner and network name exist. There was a bug in that regard that is now fixed.
Attachments
mcl2_travelnet.jpg
mcl2_travelnet.jpg (76.96 KiB) Viewed 1360 times

Darkwar

by Darkwar » Post

When i place the travlnet it wont let me remove it can you fix it please

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Darkwar wrote: When i place the travlnet it wont let me remove it can you fix it please
Best update to the latest release. And then click on the "remove" button on your travelnet.

Darkwar

by Darkwar » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Darkwar wrote: When i place the travlnet it wont let me remove it can you fix it please
Best update to the latest release. And then click on the "remove" button on your travelnet.

Okay i will see if that the case