[Mod] More Blocks [moreblocks]

mtmodder148
GitHub: MT-Modder
In-game: mtmodder148

Re: [Mod] More Blocks [moreblocks]

by mtmodder148 » Post

Did you add slopes to circular saw? I noticed you added a craft recipe for them. They look great! I replaced my stairs with them. Did you use the new mesh drawtype? The last time I saw slopes in the game they were made of like 20 nodeboxes. These look very smooth. Do you know if the mesh drawtype produces more or less lag than the nodebox drawtype? Thank you for adding them.

mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

I have one issue with slopes. Any recipe item in the stone or wood group can't be crafted into slopes. It's very miniscule though. I can always use the giveme command.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

mtmodder148 wrote:Did you add slopes to circular saw? I noticed you added a craft recipe for them. They look great! I replaced my stairs with them. Did you use the new mesh drawtype? The last time I saw slopes in the game they were made of like 20 nodeboxes. These look very smooth. Do you know if the mesh drawtype produces more or less lag than the nodebox drawtype? Thank you for adding them.
No, slopes are not yet in the circular saw. The circular saw would need a larger inventory to add them all, so it is big work.

The mesh drawtype is used, this is why it is in a branch (incompatible with 0.4.10). Meshes are by VanessaE from slope_test.

Recent Minetest builds convert nodeboxes to meshes, so both are as fast. However, meshes let you do stuff impossible with nodeboxes: multi-layered texturing, slopes, more optimized meshes, …
mtmodder148 wrote:I have one issue with slopes. Any recipe item in the stone or wood group can't be crafted into slopes. It's very miniscule though. I can always use the giveme command.
Stairs+ nodes are not in wood or stone group to prevent them from being used in crafting. Else, you could craft stuff like chests with 8 wooden planks microblocks, so your chest would be 8 times cheaper than a chest made of wooden planks…

mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

Thank you for the info.

I get that stairs and other microblocks aren't in wood group but when using default:wood I can't craft wood slopes with it. Same thing happens with stone. I put default:wood into craft grid like this:

x = empty
s = wooden stairs
w = default:wood

x | x | s
x | s | w
s | w | w

I can craft with any other block but these: cobble, wood, stone, stone brick, junglewood, desert cobble, desert stone brick, desert stone. Is this on purpose?

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

I've stumbled upon a slightly annoying aspect of this mod. You have a fence, that uses Jungle Sticks, and it seems to be the only recipe that uses just that, everything else seems to use group:stick(s) Is there some reason to keep the fence this mod provides when there is a fence in default?

I can always remove it myself, but I like to automate the updating of my mods, which would require my editing your mod every day...
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Nathan.S wrote:I've stumbled upon a slightly annoying aspect of this mod. You have a fence, that uses Jungle Sticks, and it seems to be the only recipe that uses just that, everything else seems to use group:stick(s) Is there some reason to keep the fence this mod provides when there is a fence in default?

I can always remove it myself, but I like to automate the updating of my mods, which would require my editing your mod every day...
The default mod doesn't have jungle wood fences.

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

mtmodder148 wrote:Thank you for the info.

I get that stairs and other microblocks aren't in wood group but when using default:wood I can't craft wood slopes with it. Same thing happens with stone. I put default:wood into craft grid like this:

x = empty
s = wooden stairs
w = default:wood

x | x | s
x | s | w
s | w | w

I can craft with any other block but these: cobble, wood, stone, stone brick, junglewood, desert cobble, desert stone brick, desert stone. Is this on purpose?
No, it isn't and the only way to fix this is to delete the stairs mod from your game. The stairs mod will override More Blocks' stair recipe, sadly.

mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

Awesome, thank you so much it works now. I really wanted those slopes in survival without cheating. This is still sad though lol.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Calinou wrote:
Nathan.S wrote:I've stumbled upon a slightly annoying aspect of this mod. You have a fence, that uses Jungle Sticks, and it seems to be the only recipe that uses just that, everything else seems to use group:stick(s) Is there some reason to keep the fence this mod provides when there is a fence in default?

I didn't mean the default mod, I meant the default Minetest game, that comes with Minetest, when downloaded. Admittedly if you build from source, as I have done a few times, you don't get that game, and then wouldn't have the fences.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Nathan.S wrote:
Calinou wrote:

I didn't mean the default mod, I meant the default Minetest game, that comes with Minetest, when downloaded. Admittedly if you build from source, as I have done a few times, you don't get that game, and then wouldn't have the fences.

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. Maybe I can help clear it up some.

Earlier this fall (or late summer) the textures of the default game changed. Prior to this change, junglewood was a very distinctive, dark, reddish color. Default wood fences where tan and MoreBlocks junglewood fences were almost chocolate-brown (in even older versions of MoreBlocks junglewood was a red-bean color), unlike now, where the default wood colors are mere shades different from one another.

Using "group:wood" works when the color of the item crafted is not dependent on the color of the ingredient used.

In the case of MoreBlocks' junglewood fences, a dark alternative to the default fence was the desired result; so the dark, junglewood sticks were used to craft the darker fence variety. With recent changes in the default game's textures almost completely removing the color distinction between the woods, it is easy to see why there may be some confusion between the two.

MoreBlocks is one of the oldest and most widely used mods on Minetest servers. Some of the older servers have maintained the previous, darker colored junglewood while keeping their MoreBlocks mod up-to-date. For those servers, the "group:wood" recipe for junglewood fences wouldn't work.

The darker, junglewood fences can be used for more than just fencing. They have also been used in design-builds to create windmill blades, legs of animal sculptures, wood filigree, tent posts, porch posts, etc.

Taking it even further, "Colored Woods" adds many different colors of fence and adds many colored sticks to accomodate those colored fences' crafting recipes.

Hopefully this bit of Minetest history has helped clear-up part of the issue of why "group:woods" is not used in MoreBlocks' junglewood fence recipe.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Post

Okay that makes sense. I've also thought up a work around anyways. I can use all junglewood sticks, and then just replace one slot in the crafting grid with normal sticks, and get the normal fences.
Sorry to be annoying. :S

ThatGraemeGuy
GitHub: thatgraemeguy
IRC: ThatGraemeGuy
In-game: thatgraemeguy

by ThatGraemeGuy » Post

Here's an inconsistency I've picked up on.

If you craft 3 Desert Stone blocks horizontally next to each other, you get 6 of a thing called "Desertstone Slab", aka stairs:slab_desert_stone. When placed and then dug, this thing drops itself.

If you place Desert Stone in a circular saw, you get (amongst all the options) a thing called "Desert Stone Slab", aka moreblocks:slab_desert_stone and if you place and then dig this thing you end up with an unknown item. Looking at my player file on disk I can see this is a "moreblocks:slab_desert_cobble". So it's attempting be analogous to the Desert Stone -> Desert Cobble transformation that you get when digging Desert Stone, but for some reason the item it tries to drop isn't properly registered.

There is a similar inconsistency with regular Stone, except there's no unknown item for the cobble version of the slab, i.e.:

Stone -> Craft x3 -> stairs:slab_stone -> drops stairs:slab_stone when dug
Stone -> Saw -> moreblocks:slab_stone -> drops moreblocks:slab_cobble when dug

Jesseman1
In-game: Jesseman1 or Plant_Operator

by Jesseman1 » Post

Hi, I'm having problems with your mod. I've extracted it to the correct folder, renamed it to "moreblocks," and enabled it in the game, but when I try to play, I get an error message "ERROR: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/e/.minetest/mods/moreblocks/init.lua." What do I do to fix it? This is my very first time using mods for anything, and I can't seem to get any to work, please help me.

EDIT: Nevermind, it turns out I just had to update my system.

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

ThatGraemeGuy wrote:Here's an inconsistency I've picked up on.

If you craft 3 Desert Stone blocks horizontally next to each other, you get 6 of a thing called "Desertstone Slab", aka stairs:slab_desert_stone. When placed and then dug, this thing drops itself.

If you place Desert Stone in a circular saw, you get (amongst all the options) a thing called "Desert Stone Slab", aka moreblocks:slab_desert_stone and if you place and then dig this thing you end up with an unknown item. Looking at my player file on disk I can see this is a "moreblocks:slab_desert_cobble". So it's attempting be analogous to the Desert Stone -> Desert Cobble transformation that you get when digging Desert Stone, but for some reason the item it tries to drop isn't properly registered.

There is a similar inconsistency with regular Stone, except there's no unknown item for the cobble version of the slab, i.e.:

Stone -> Craft x3 -> stairs:slab_stone -> drops stairs:slab_stone when dug
Stone -> Saw -> moreblocks:slab_stone -> drops moreblocks:slab_cobble when dug
Can't be fixed unless you delete the stairs mod from your game.
Jesseman1 wrote:Hi, I'm having problems with your mod. I've extracted it to the correct folder, renamed it to "moreblocks," and enabled it in the game, but when I try to play, I get an error message "ERROR: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/e/.minetest/mods/moreblocks/init.lua." What do I do to fix it? This is my very first time using mods for anything, and I can't seem to get any to work, please help me.

EDIT: Nevermind, it turns out I just had to update my system.
Remember, the “slopes” branch found in the Gitorious repository requires a recent Git client, not just 0.4.10. The “master” branch (the default one, the one used when you download the .zip) will always work with stable clients, though.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Calinou wrote:(the default one, the one used when you download the .zip) will always work with stable clients, though.
… and will be updated when 0.4.11 gets released so I have nothing more to do than simply update everything after the release to get the cool new slopes, right? :D

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Calinou wrote:(the default one, the one used when you download the .zip) will always work with stable clients, though.
… and will be updated when 0.4.11 gets released so I have nothing more to do than simply update everything after the release to get the cool new slopes, right? :D
Yes, it will have slopes in the “master” branch once 0.4.11 is released.

I made a Debian/Ubuntu/Mint package, please test: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/823 ... blocks.deb

This will work only when a packaged Minetest is installed (from a PPA or official repositories).

Mirther

by Mirther » Post

First post states: No dependencies on non-default mods.
From download today ( https://gitorious.org/calinou/moreblock ... master.zip ) I see:

Code: Select all

<snip> ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
<snip> ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from 
<snip> ERROR[main]: /home/<snip>/.minetest/mods/moreblocks/init.lua:
<snip> ERROR[main]: ...inetest/mods/moreblocks/stairsplus/registrations.lua:32: attempt to index local 'ndef' (a nil value)
<snip> ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
<snip> ERROR[main]: 	...inetest/mods/moreblocks/stairsplus/registrations.lua:32: in main chunk
<snip> ERROR[main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
<snip> ERROR[main]: 	...e/<snip>/.minetest/mods/moreblocks/stairsplus/init.lua:45: in main chunk
<snip> ERROR[main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
<snip> ERROR[main]: 	/home/<snip>/.minetest/mods/moreblocks/init.lua:25: in main chunk
<snip> ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
<snip> ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /home/<snip>/.minetest/mods/moreblocks/init.lua
<snip> ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/<snip>/.minetest/mods/moreblocks/init.lua
Similar occurrence here was fixed: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=509&start=250#p140464
Removing pinetree and pinewood (lines 19 and 20 of registrations.lua) seems to fix.
Cheers!

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Are you using 0.4.11? This should only be a problem if you're using 0.4.10 or older.

Mirther

by Mirther » Post

Calinou wrote:Are you using 0.4.11? This should only be a problem if you're using 0.4.10 or older.
Quite right - 0.4.10. Apparently I did not understand how PPA worked. Uninstalled 0.4.10 / installed 0.4.11.

(Expected 0.4.11 as update to 0.4.10 [not your fault - obviously]).

Much thanks.

jwpwns

by jwpwns » Post

I am getting this error when i try to start the server with this mod i am new to minetest this is the only mod i cant get to work how do i fix it?
http://pastebin.com/05AZNWVn

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Rename the folder to just "moreblocks" (without quotes).
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

Can you please change this mod so glass uses the new drawtype "glasslike_framed_optional" and will follow the setting in minetest.conf.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

There's a variation of moreblocks in dreambuilder that does that now.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

mtmodder148

by mtmodder148 » Post

Okay thank you. Are all the glass nodes affected or is it just default glass?

Edit: Nvm :)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It sets all of the glassy nodes to _optional.