[Mod] cottages [cottages] (medieval, farming, country life)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Mod] cottages [cottages] (medieval, farming, country li

by Sokomine » Post

Thanks to VanessaE, we now have slopes - including one that is not so steep - and a clean end node to the dirt road:

The two slopes appear as well if you select the nodebox style.

Take care not to put any node below the slopes as those would stick out.
Onyx wrote: I personaly prefer the middle screenshot (boxy style), anyway, you've done a good job, keep it up!
Yes, the nodebox version isn't bad either. But the mesh version also has a lot of potential. I'm still dreaming of having those nodes with river textures (flowing water) one day. The meshes just call for it!
Attachments
feldweg_slope.jpg
feldweg_slope.jpg (108.87 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
A list of my mods can be found here.

BrunoMine
GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Post

I would like to get the some models (files) for my mod sunos.
I'll keep the authorship and licensing. (I use LGPLv3, some problem?).

mase
In-game: mase

by mase » Post

Too bad, that the cottages hammer conflicts with the metal sign of signs_lib.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

BrunoMine wrote: I would like to get the some models (files) for my mod sunos.
I'll keep the authorship and licensing. (I use LGPLv3, some problem?).
It's good that you asked via PN so that you can proceed with your project. I didn't see your request here earlier. Hope to see your mod soon!
mase wrote: Too bad, that the cottages hammer conflicts with the metal sign of signs_lib.
There's an issue requesting a change of the receipe so that it will cost steel blocks instead of steel ingots. That might also solve this conflict.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

After complaints from mobs that sleeping mats where too hard for their heads a new model had to be develloped. The new sleeping mat *with pillow* will let the mob's head rest soft and comftably:

The pillow comes from some extra straw:

We strongly recommend to upgrade houses that are intended for villages due to future villagers refusing to live in houses that contain only normal sleeping mats without pillows. Normal beds of any known kind are of course acceptable as well.
Attachments
sleeping_mat_with_pillow_craft.jpg
sleeping_mat_with_pillow_craft.jpg (10.37 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
sleeping_mat_with_pillow.jpg
sleeping_mat_with_pillow.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 1628 times

Otter
GitHub: InfiniteOtter
In-game: Otter

by Otter » Post

So, there is this person who goes by Sokomine. This person apparently gets no sleep. If you go to Sokomine's Repositories the odds are that three of Sokomine's projects were updated in the last two hours. It's a nightmare I tell you. You look at the change log and it is something you can't go on for a moment without and yet you know that it is going to be updated again in five minutes and do something amazing that it never did before.

About the whole hammer recipe thing. My answer is to just go in and change the recipe. My hammer for example costs an extra red mushroom to make. You ask, why a red mushroom? Because it was one of the materials I knew the name for right off the top of my head. I also had several in my inventory.

Otter
GitHub: InfiniteOtter
In-game: Otter

by Otter » Post

Oh, and Sokamine, you rule! Your mods are great!

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Otter wrote: If you go to Sokomine's Repositories the odds are that three of Sokomine's projects were updated in the last two hours. It's a nightmare I tell you. You look at the change log and it is something you can't go on for a moment without and yet you know that it is going to be updated again in five minutes and do something amazing that it never did before.
Oh, er, I'm sorry. That's a bit too overenthusiastic/positive like you describe my work here. There are a lot of pull requests and issues on the other mods that still require work and have been sitting around for months or even years. My current forus is on getting the villages to support villagers/advanced_npc/others of its kind as well as possible. Other mods are a bit (*hide*) neglected. VanessaE keeps reminding me of the work I need to do :-) I'm thankful for that and hope she doesn't loose patience.
Otter wrote: About the whole hammer recipe thing. My answer is to just go in and change the recipe. My hammer for example costs an extra red mushroom to make. You ask, why a red mushroom? Because it was one of the materials I knew the name for right off the top of my head. I also had several in my inventory.
*g* Yes, some receipes are like that :-)

The latest addition to cottages is a rope copied from Bas080's fine vines and rope mod plus a special rail with a rope on top. They're needed for the mines in my citybuilder mod for the central shaft (climb up+down, walk, ride through with a cart). Currently the textures seem to be broken.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I remade some of the textures to look better. Those are the barrel, rope, slate, wagon wheel, wooden shingles, and loam. They're attached at the bottom. I added shingled walls for all three types of shingles as well. It looks rather nice, I think.

Attachments
textures.zip
(9.82 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

roboto
GitHub: NewbProgrammer101
In-game: akoek

by roboto » Post

Sokomine, can you please make the benches allow the players to sit on them? advanced_npc seems to be able to achieve this.

Players should be able to sit on the benches through right-click.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Could you add pitchforks? That break group:snappy very well, and can be used as a last defense for poor farmers? :P Maybe mining a crop with a pitchfork gives +1 of whatever that crop gives?
What is SCP-055?

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Maybe a mithril anvil, that repairs tools more efficiently than the normal anvil? Or just upgradeable anvils?
What is SCP-055?

HobbitPower
GitHub: HobbitPower
IRC: HobbitPower
In-game: HobbitPower

by HobbitPower » Post

@Sokomine
Remember me? From lott? :D
Can you tell me the crafting recipe from the glass pane? because the image is broken.
One does not simply walk into mordor unless you're a Hobbit(Power)!

wziard

by wziard » Post

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

roboto wrote: Sokomine, can you please make the benches allow the players to sit on them? advanced_npc seems to be able to achieve this.

Players should be able to sit on the benches through right-click.
You can already sit on them with a right-click.
Chem871 wrote: Could you add pitchforks? That break group:snappy very well, and can be used as a last defense for poor farmers? :P Maybe mining a crop with a pitchfork gives +1 of whatever that crop gives?
A pitchfork is a good idea. But I'm afraid it will only be good at picking up straw and hay. What you're looking for might be a sickle. There's one in the dryplants mod.
HobbitPower wrote: @Sokomine
Remember me? From lott? :D
Can you tell me the crafting recipe from the glass pane? because the image is broken.
It's a pity that that server is gone. As for the crafting recipe: Best get a craft guide. The glass pane can be created by sourrounding a glass block with sticks.
wziard wrote: I think I found a bug. See https://github.com/Sokomine/cottages/issues/10
Thanks! It will be fixed in the next update which will come very soon.

snslty

by snslty » Post

Wield image for the pitchfork, take 1.
Attachments
pitchfork.png
pitchfork.png (1.23 KiB) Viewed 1628 times

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

@snslty: Thank you for the image conversion!

Trying out rnd's extremly hardcore skyblock server reminded me that my skyplatform mod could use some skyblock-game like mechanisms for creating necessary nodes out of thin air. One of these mechanisms, a well, might better fit into my cottages mod.

The bucket rotates in the well and will eventually get filled with river water:

Instructions on how to use it plus additonal bucket storage:

Some machines (threshing floor, handmill and the new well) can be switched between public and private use through the formspec.

And the requested pitchfork, rammed into the new hay bale:
The pitchfork can be used to dig dirt_with_grass. When doing so, it will create a layer of hay above the dirt, which can then be digged and crafted into a hay bale. In theory, hay bales ought to be suitable food for animals (once they learn that they can eat hay).

Complete changelog:
  • added crafting recipes for feldweg nodes thanks to a PR from h-v-smacker
  • some machines (threshing floor, mill, well) can now be made public (switching back to "only owner can operate" is possible through the formspec)
  • added a tree trunk well
  • added a pitchfork that can be placed and when digged act like a tool
  • added hay and haybale (dig dirt with pitchfork to get hay)
  • minor bugfixes
  • wool and straw are now used from the wool and farming mod if possible
Attachments
pitchfork_standing.jpg
pitchfork_standing.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
tree_trunk_well.jpg
tree_trunk_well.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
tree_trunk_well_formspec.jpg
tree_trunk_well_formspec.jpg (36.65 KiB) Viewed 1628 times

h-v-smacker
GitHub: h-v-smacker
In-game: Smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

In nodes_water you're using cottages.player_can_use with wrong parameters: instead of supplying just meta and player, you give meta:get_string(pos) and player:get_player_name(). I guess that's some leftover from code cleanup.
Linux Forks, the Best Forks: linux-forks.de // Play @ LinuxWorks Next Generation

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

@h-v-smacker: Thanks! I've corrected the error.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The mod is now ready for MT 5.x and ought to produce no more spam due to deprecated functions in your log file.

The pitchfork-as-a-node no longer shows up in creative inventory. You can craft/get the tool version and place that one.

The config setting cottages_feldweg_mode can now be set in your global minetest.conf. Choose between "mesh", "nodebox", "flat" and "simple".

Version is now 2.3.2.

albert

by albert » Post

Hi,
Firstly thank you for "Cottages". Very nice!
Secondely, i'm new on MT (and Cottages) and i'm french. Then, maybe i don't understand how use "Tree Trunk Well".

But i use one Empty Bucket (now, it is in passive storage) and now, when i trying take it, MT stop running.
2019-08-21 23:35:40: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer takes bucket:bucket_empty fro
m chest at (483,9,1811)
2019-08-21 23:35:59: WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "meta" accesse
d at /home/albert/.minetest/mods/cottages/nodes_water.lua:205                    
2019-08-21 23:35:59: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua:
Runtime error from mod 'cottages' in callback nodemeta_inventory_AllowTake():
/home/albert/.minetest/mods/cottages/nodes_water.lua:205: attempt to index globa
l 'meta' (a nil value)                                                          
2019-08-21 23:35:59: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:                              
2019-08-21 23:35:59: ERROR[Main]:       /home/albert/.minetest/mods/cottages/nod
es_water.lua:205: in function </home/albert/.minetest/mods/cottages/nodes_water.
lua:204>                                  
Again:
2019-08-21 23:39:51: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer uses farming:hoe_steel, pointing at [node under=476,9,1792 above=476,10,1791]                                                                         
2019-08-21 23:40:00: WARNING[Server]: The use of vel is deprecated. Use velocity instead (at /home/albert/.minetest/mods/bees/init.lua:659)
2019-08-21 23:40:00: WARNING[Server]: The use of acc is deprecated. Use acceleration instead (at /home/albert/.minetest/mods/bees/init.lua:659)                                                          
2019-08-21 23:40:22: WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "meta" accessed at /home/albert/.minetest/mods/cottages/nodes_water.lua:205                                                             
2019-08-21 23:40:22: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'cottages' in callback nodemeta_inventory_AllowTake(): /home/albert/.minetest/mods/cottages/nodes
_water.lua:205: attempt to index global 'meta' (a nil value)                                                                                                                                            
2019-08-21 23:40:22: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:                                                                                                                                                      
2019-08-21 23:40:22: ERROR[Main]:       /home/albert/.minetest/mods/cottages/nodes_water.lua:205: in function </home/albert/.minetest/mods/cottages/nodes_water.lua:204>                                  
2019-08-21 23:40:22: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players:                                                                                                                         
2019-08-21 23:40:22: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
Erreur de segmentation
If I try take the Empty Bucket (in Passive storage) then the game stop running (server: shutting down).
I'm using Debian/Buster and MT 5.0.1
MT est un jeu où vous partez à travers le monde pour trouver un lapin et vous revenez à votre camp avec plein de ressources et sans lapin.

h-v-smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

Hey Sokomine,

if you have some time, I would like to invite you over to look at my fork of cottages. Over the months, I have accumulated quite some differences, so I cannot make a proper PR anymore, but I think you'll like at least some of them: https://github.com/h-v-smacker/cottages

Some of the changes are:
  • A small selection of extra furniture (table, storage cabinets, dry storage barrel)

Threshing floor accepts various grains, just as the the mill

Extra roof types and shapes (blocky inner/outer corners) and full blocks that can be used with table saw (for smooth slopes) — this way players can choose between blocky "old school" roofs without the saw, or smooth "moreblocks" roofs.

Working barrels for liquid storage (can take a lot of water or milk)

Shutters using timers (not ABMs)
Linux Forks, the Best Forks: linux-forks.de // Play @ LinuxWorks Next Generation

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

h-v-smacker wrote:Threshing floor accepts various grains, just as the the mill
Sent you a PR. API to add threshing products from your own mod rather than having to submit a PR for cottages to support your new crop. Or even farming redo's redefinition of the grass types. Simple one-line call.

See PR for details.

[EDIT]
Didn't appear to be much work to pull a new fork, port over the threshing floor changes, and offer that as a PR to cottages. But you would know better than I.
[/EDIT]

h-v-smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

ThorfinnS wrote:
h-v-smacker wrote:Threshing floor accepts various grains, just as the the mill
Sent you a PR. API to add threshing products from your own mod rather than having to submit a PR for cottages to support your new crop. Or even farming redo's redefinition of the grass types. Simple one-line call.

See PR for details.
This is actually pretty cool. The same change should happen to the stone mill now, since they are soft of yin-and-yang of farming in cottages.
ThorfinnS wrote: [EDIT]
Didn't appear to be much work to pull a new fork, port over the threshing floor changes, and offer that as a PR to cottages. But you would know better than I.
[/EDIT]
If you're referring to my situation, I have made changes in lots of places. It would be a lot harder to do the same.

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

h-v-smacker wrote:The same change should happen to the stone mill now, since they are soft of yin-and-yang of farming in cottages.
Truth. We were just waiting to see if anyone was interested in the expanded function. If not, there wasn't much point in making a general use case if it was only for us. If you are, I'd be happy to cut the crew loose on the mill API. Odds are it's only a couple hours, including testing.
h-v-smacker wrote:If you're referring to my situation, I have made changes in lots of places. It would be a lot harder to do the same.
Oh, I saw how much new you added. I was just saying that taking Sokomine's version and copying over only the threshing floor and mill functions, then submitting that as a PR, it looks pretty easy. I did not test the resultant code, but a quick copy-paste and git merge said it could be merged without conflict. Doesn't help with all your moreblocks code and all, true, but at least you get some of your stuff over.