[Mod] Nether [nether]

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

Re: [Mod] Nether [nether]

by DrFrankenstone » Post

KongarTheTerrible wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 02:23
Now I see an update, which is great timing so asking/reporting this issue. Assume it is something simple, but noted the depends, which are minimal so there * should not * be any conflict I would think.
Thanks for the stack trace, I've submitted a fix for this - could you confirm if that works, either buy pulling the lastest version from Github or by downloading from here.

This interop bug had something to do with a "buckets" mod you're running which doesn't work like the buckets mods I tested against, so could you let me know which buckets mod and version you're using so I can make sure it gets supported.

thanks

Nether update mantle screenshot:
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Thu Jan 28, 2021 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

KongarTheTerrible

by KongarTheTerrible » Post

OK. I will test and report back shortly.

I did just search in my mods for bucket, here's what I found (perhaps my bucket mod was too old?). will thoroughly test new git rls and if that failes seek updated 'bucket' and let you know:

Minetest 0.4 mod: bucket

I also had (a new addition for this build) 'falls' mod
- i see some bucket lava stuff there. did not spot a version, however i know i either grabbed it from its github or the content db.

thanks for response. i will report back fairly soon

KongarTheTerrible

OK. Excellent. I installed mod, generated a new world, built gate and... works. No conflicts or errors (and I did not change and mods - old bucket Minetest 0.4 bucket.

Question, out of curiosity as #1 did not see and how-to in README and #2 Once in nether, I built another portal to go back to non-nether and it did not do that.

Scenario. I created a new world, did not sethome or spawnpoint, thus when i travelled to Nether, there was no way back?

Am I missing something? If not, might be a good feature to allow gate to transfer back.

Thank you for fixing the bucket issue.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Thanks for the update

The nether portals can be built in both directions, exactly as you suggest. If it failed to ignite with the mese crystal fragment... was there a block missing from the frame, or something inside the frame? All 14 blocks of obsidian are needed (you can't skimp on the corners like in Minecraft).

KongarTheTerrible

No problem building the gate. I created a new world and the gate A-OK, ignited and worked fine. Travelled to Nether realm. Once there it was dark. Walked away, could not see ref-find the gate in which I used to enter (I think i might have just walked too far away and lazy to re-find it on test). Not sure if one was there or not as I walked away in darkness and then gave up trying to find it...

So I just build another gate INSIDE Nether. It activated just fine as well, and when i stepped into it, it just transported me exactly where I stood already in Nether.

What I am trying to say: any nether gate build inside Nether should transport player to default minetest realm. But this did not happen in the case where I built a NEW gate in Nether and it would not transport me back to minetest default world.

---

PS. I have never played minecraft. I saw a friend's kid play it for 5 minutes only around 5-6 years ago! Just a linux user and more old-school gamer really 1980s- up until around 2005. The last games I bought/played to any extent were Ultima IX, Civilization 4, and Pirates! the 2005 release!

I like minetest because you can own your server, edit/create simple lua and mod rather easily, and host local or otherwise!

So I give MINETEST (forget minecraft! I am Terrible) the thumbs up and thanks to all those who enjoy and bother to create for it and support the incredible power, flexibility, ease and options of [Arch] Linux.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

KongarTheTerrible wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 21:44
What I am trying to say: any nether gate build inside Nether should transport player to default minetest realm. But this did not happen in the case where I built a NEW gate in Nether and it would not transport me back to minetest default world.
Nether gates built inside Nether transport the player to default minetest realm - just as you suggest they should.

It sounds like you encountered a bug and I suspect that bug will be very rare and never seen again, but if there's something about your situation that's causing it and you're able to reproduce it then I'd love to get my hands on some logs (turn logging on in MT, change DEBUG_FLAGS in nether init.lua to 4, and sent me the debug.txt).

There are some situations where the portal might fail like that (e.g. the surface being protected, or wrong/old metadata in the world), but none of those would happen in a new created world.

KongarTheTerrible

I'll report back, after I test more thoroughly, with logs for you and to confirm or relate if issue disappears --- one of these nights soon...

KongarTheTerrible

OK, here's a quick update.

READ MY PAINFUL JOURNEY TO DISCOVER THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM -

"DEBUGGED" + SOLUTION AT END

Last message I simply shutdown minetest - did nothing.

I just launched it and immediately just created another 'new world.'

Zero errors. Nothing in debug.txt. No issues. Built a nether gate with 4 blocks wide x 5 tall of 'obsidian block' and attempted to ignite with mesa crystal fragment. It did not ignite gate.

I then exited and launched the last world (above post where it was working yet had that issue where the gate would not send player back to default minetest).

Well, it turns out, the gate in that world (sharing the same exact mods, setup of course) was still working just fine. I actually entered that second gate I built and was now transported back to default minetest. I also saw the first gate that brought me to nether in first place. Entered it. and No problem - it worked and I was abled to go back-and-forth between dimensions No problem.

NEXT, I exited, created another new world, verifying no errors and everything, nether etc enabled. Built another gate. No dice. Not working. Gate did not activate.

Next, I went into client settings, enabled debug. Edited local DEBUG_FLAGS = 4 in init.lua in Nether mod. Launched the new world. Built another gate. Nothing. Did not activate. No errors. debug.txt empty.

Next, I launched the new world from last forum session with working gates. Entered gate to Nether and back to minetest - all OK. Built new gate - activated A-OK. "Exited to OS" - checked debug.txt - still empty. No errors or warnings.

I figure I better exit to OS because apparently the 'bug' with gate issue last time had something to do with not closing and rebooting client, or at least it could have been an issue perhaps by rationale.

OK. So plan - I re-launched minetest / client and entered one of the newest world (where gate will not activate). Attempting to simply see if a gate with activate with mese crystal fragment. Also built another gate.

Verdict: Nope.

LASTLY, I figured since the client was opened anew, and with zero errors or warnings, mod activated of course and verifying empty debug file, the only thing I could thing left to do it create one more new world. verify all the above, log back in andmake a gate 4w x 5h with obsidian block, strike (r/l mouse button) with mese crystal fragment.

futher details:
- mapgen v7
- settings 'nether' enabled = YES
- same seed for working world from last forum session as on 2 new world with fail.
- no errors, warnings. one world (from last time works), 2 from this session - not. no changes to minethest client or mods - all shared.

And the verdict.... A DISCOVERY.

For my nodes 'stock'

I have two notes (friendly names):
"Obsidian"
+
"Obsidian Block"

Obviously from installing some mods.

I discovered, as is indicated in the 'Nether manual node' it states built gate from "Obsidian Blocks", which I did literally - choosing the 'Obsidian Block' titled block to build the gate. This would not ignite and activate the nether gate/portal.

I then looked through my inventory blocks and also saw simply 'Obsidian' titled block. I then used this to built gate. And guess what. It worked.

So there is a problem (because many people use many mods) that there are two Obsidian blocks floating around in modland.

Therefore, I think the solution would be for the Nether mod to address this issue ideally and change the code to allow both 'Obsidian' AND 'Obsidian Block' to be allowed to craft the gate/portal.

Logic:
If 'Obsidian' exists...
If 'Obsidian Block' exists
(sorry too lazy to go back in right now and to ID the block node code names. If needed, remind me what tool to use to easily id from within game. i think i have one but can't remember)

Blackthorn rules.
Last edited by KongarTheTerrible on Thu Feb 04, 2021 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

I think you should put the other circles of hell int o this mod. they could be biomes or better yet seperate "layers" that you need to make more portals to travel too. that way you could go deeper into hell. there also needs to be sinners. it should be like dante's inferno.

this hell is a good start. but it is like a prison without any prisoners. people need to be punished . you can sweep up all of the people off the streets and create a new age in the society on the surface and below.

KongarTheTerrible

ps. i do use other dimensional mods out there and they are work fine together from my tests. plus when I went into my Nether - I have aliens and all such of denizens of a hell..

ps #2 could someone make me a spaghetti man mob - as in a npc humanoid type creature made out of noodles?

KongarTheTerrible

oh and a tarzan ring that when worn, elephants will follow you and any creatures or being hostile to your character will get attacked by them. I have some terrible ideas but open to sharing them and collabing or testing ;)
ANYWAY - back to topic.

ATTN: Two obsidian blocks exists 'Obsidian' and 'Obsidian Block' in modland. If this ever gets and update fix where both can be used, please let me know. I would appreciate, if not anytime soon, please pm! Thanks

KongarTheTerrible

PS. correction the 'Books of Portals' does state "Construction requires 14 blocks of obsidian"

I was just editing a note in the init about 'obsidian block' vs obsidian. Thought I better correct my misquote.

Here's what I edited in the init.lua btw,
Construction requires 14 blocks of 'obsidian', which we found deep underground where water had solidified molten rock. The finished frame is four blocks wide, five blocks high, and stands vertically, like a doorway. Be forewarned, you must use 'Obsidian' and not the crafted 'Obsidian Block!'

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

ywwv wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 00:21
biomes or better yet seperate "layers" that you need to make more portals to travel too. that way you could go deeper into hell.
That'd be cool, and Independent mods can already add extra layers, as nether provides access to its portals API so other mods can create their own realm portals.

If someone wants to have a go at such an expansion mod, I'd be happy to produce some example skeleton code which creates a layer below the nether that is reached by a portal which can only be ignited inside the nether (trying to ignite one from the surface would fail). That mod would then be able to iterate and devlop independently of the nether, maybe eventually they could be merged.
ywwv wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 00:21
there also needs to be sinners. it should be like dante's inferno.

this hell is a good start. but it is like a prison without any prisoners. people need to be punished . you can sweep up all of the people off the streets and create a new age in the society on the surface and below.
This could also be added with mods, and some mods add nether mobs already.

This nether mod isn't supposed to be a copy of Notch's nether, but something I always liked about Notch's nether is it's both highly suggestive of being Hell but is also very G rated and anyone young or who isn't into the Hell thing can see a vast mysterious underground realm of magma and volcanism - also a cool interpretation. Having sinners being punished would flesh out the nether mod more, but also forces it in certain a direction, so I personally hope that would be an expansion mod rather than the built-in default.

e.g. for a different direction, if I had time to create a mob for the nether it might more resemble the tiny forest spirits of Princess Mononoke - occasionally fading in behind you where you're not looking (or afk too long), sitting & gawking at you, exhibiting confusion when part of the nether is damaged e.g. you mined some netherrack - like the hellish Nether is something beautiful and absolutely pristine and perfect through its inhabitants' eyes.

Attachments
nether_kodama.jpg
nether_kodama.jpg (21.37 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Fri Feb 05, 2021 16:58, edited 4 times in total.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

KongarTheTerrible wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 00:17
READ MY PAINFUL JOURNEY TO DISCOVER THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM
:)
thanks for investigating.

It sounds like you weren't able to reproduce the issue of a portal igniting in the Nether which teleports you back to the Nether instead of to the surface?

Regarding the Obsidian Block / Obsidian confusion, might the issue be mostly a product of testing in creative? Like if you'd mined 14 obsidian in a survival game, in your head you would now have the 14 blocks of obsidian needed to make a portal - it wouldn't occur to mine an extra 4 blocks so you could craft them all into 18 things called "Obsidian Block" then make the portal?

The nether could register a second portal out of "Obsidian Block" if moreblocks is installed, but there's a few complications with that so if it's just a creative mode confusion then it'd keep things much simpler to leave it.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

it doesn't have to be obscene. there just needs to be people living there. a lonely hell makes a busy heaven...

KongarTheTerrible

It sounds like you weren't able to reproduce the issue of a portal igniting in the Nether which teleports you back to the Nether instead of to the surface?It sounds like you weren't able to reproduce the issue of a portal igniting in the Nether which teleports you back to the Nether instead of to the surface?
Correct, I am just chalking it up with assumption that the actual reboot of minetest client solved that issue.
The nether could register a second portal out of "Obsidian Block" if moreblocks is installed, but there's a few complications with that so if it's just a creative mode confusion then it'd keep things much simpler to leave it.
I understand. The important factor or concern is that you are aware. I might suggest at least note in README to specify the exact code id/name + friendly name for exact 'obsidian' block to build gates, such as in my case where there are both simply block of obsidian + 'obsidian blocks'

PS. Yes I was in creative. Not too much time to actually play around, I tend to use minetest to build, so not really experienced regarding the difference or fine details between creative and non-creative modes.

And might not hurt, to also edit the nether book/guide item, such as i actually edited to remind myself/players in future (because i will surely forget not being attached to minetest super-regularly, etc), simple example (or whatever makes sense to clarify):
Construction requires 14 blocks of 'obsidian', which we found deep underground where water had solidified molten rock. The finished frame is four blocks wide, five blocks high, and stands vertically, like a doorway. Be forewarned, you must use 'Obsidian' and not the crafted 'Obsidian Block!'
Thanks for the response and concern on your mod. THUMBS UP

1faco
GitHub: minefaco
In-game: faco

by 1faco » Post

do you have plans to add some trees and nether vegetation or something like that? it could be a nice idea to add a little more of light (actually it's so dark), maybe you accept a PR adding more content? nether flowers? nether materials for building? special liquid sources like a golden lava? nether treasures? ruins?

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

It's not really my mod, I've just been contributing a lot to it because IMO the Nether should be epic!

If you're judging the darkness by screenshots I've posted, they have some gamma issue making them appear much much darker on other devices. However, until the nether fills with lava it can be rather dark (a challenge?), it'll have a lighter appearance once the climate_api PR is merged due to distance fog not fading everything black, but that's probably not what you meant.

The nether doesn't seem like a place for conventional plants (sort of) though I did always want to start with some sort of Nether weed, perhaps found growing on dungeon walls, or maybe around fumaroles. As for ruins, the dungeons are getting better (and are all ruined to some extent), but real nether structures would be great. I'd love it to have treasures too but what can you add that's valuable in MT? Things with real value are useful, which requires coordination between mods rather than every mod spamming diamond/mese or proclaiming its own blocks a treasure. Perhaps the fumaroles count as a Nether material for building - they can be used in overworld cottages to have smoke rising from your chimney. If PR10141 gets merged then silk touch tools become possible in Minetest, and the Lava Crust block would become able to be mined and used. I agree about new materials for building, but ideally they introduce more than a different texture.

It's not my mod so it's not my call, but a game design principle I'm trying to follow is that new blocks (and plants) are best introduced sparingly and by considering extra uses and things they could bring to the game beyond being essentially a different color of something, if it can't be dual-or-more purpose is it necessary? (often the answer is still yes, but it's good to ask the question).
e.g. a nether weed would ideally enable some sort of recipe. More content is needed, by more people, and we should be bouncing these ideas off each other - like the ones you and ywwv posted.

The nether already has a new lava, because default:lava looks like a 16x16 patchwork when used in oceans, so perhaps it could be a golden lava. What would golden lava do? A lava that doesn't spread/flood as much might be better for the nether, perhaps all these could be rolled into one new nether lava block. Currently the nether lava drops as default lava in a bucket, should that change?

Nether dungeon (from PR merged in Feburary), lightened to counteract my gamma issue.
Attachments
nether-dungeon-brightened.jpg
nether-dungeon-brightened.jpg (77.71 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Tue Apr 20, 2021 02:29, edited 1 time in total.

1faco

by 1faco » Post

you right, decorations make beautiful worlds but it's better when it have some use, i'm thinking something like this. (taken from dfcaverns)

for the golden lava source i was thinking something like a wishing well, you can able to take this lava with buckets but if you place it out of nether it turns into default lava. the wishing wells can give you a 'unic' item if you drop gold ingots inside, so, the golden lava turns into cracked stone :D. the only problem, ¿what i can do with this 'unic item'? i'm thinking about that.

for the treasures, maybe an item that allow's you to walk in lava for some time(sometimes the lava spawns very very nearby from the portal), or make you faster, increase +5hp, increase your hunger bar, stamina bar, fly in nether? if i think only in the default minetest game there are no 'treasures' at the time.maybe the blocks to build portals to the dimensions inside dimensions that you were talking a days ago.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

What is 'unic'? Unique?

Yeah - making lava related treasures is a good idea, since the nether can make those valuable!
Something that enables crossing lava would be good, like a boat or frostboots-for-lava. The hang-glider is ideal for treasure, but it has a super-cheap recipe that makes it zero effort to acquire (3 sticks and 3 wool) :(

Quartz
The geodes I'm working on will need a quartz, I'm thinking of having nether provide a rudimentary quartz unless the quartz mod is present, in which case alias it to that and have the nether unregister the quartz ore from the surface and register it in the nether - this behaviour would need a disable option, but I don't know how to gauge whether messing with other mods like that is frowned upon. Also a shame it's quartz, because that has the optics of copying Minecraft when really because a mapgen needs some white crystal blocks and making use of the quartz mod if it's available means introducing fewer new blocks to the game.

1faco

by 1faco » Post

Unic = unique, you right.

Dolomite

Instead of Quartz you can use dolomite, there are too many ores, you don't need to use the same from mc :D, it would be nice if the dolomite can be colorized.
ice boots. i love that idea.

RoosterGamer420
In-game: 31M

by RoosterGamer420 » Post

Awesome mod! I've been working on a MC-inspired nether mobs mod for the Nether for a while, and the biome update really surprised me. Time to make more mobs I guess...

RoosterGamer420
In-game: 31M

by RoosterGamer420 » Post

I've been working on some mobs and more items for the nether. Here are some pics:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fv-oDJ ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/189RkQX ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nyxDhT ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_7p8lG ... sp=sharing

There are also a flying mob for the mantle biome and a boss that looks like a fiery, four-headed MC wither.

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

1faco wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 15:20
Instead of Quartz you can use dolomite, there are too many ores, you don't need to use the same from mc :D, it would be nice if the dolomite can be colorized.
ice boots. i love that idea.
I think Feldspar would be a more interesting choice, due to applications and because is more distant from MC ores
cdb_894a100ddd76

MeseCraft
GitHub: MeseCraft

by MeseCraft » Post

I really need to update this mod and test it out the new lava and dungeon screenshots look really neat. :)
🌎 Website | ⛏️ MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB