[Mod] Nether [nether]

stefapi

Re: [Mod] Nether [nether]

by stefapi » Post

Hi
i tried your latest commit from master branch on https://github.com/Treer/nether

and i face this issue after a time and moving into the cavern:

AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'nether' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): /home/stef/.minetest/mods/nether/mapgen_dungeons.lua:176: attempt to index field 'nether_caverns' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
/home/stef/.minetest/mods/nether/mapgen_dungeons.lua:176: in function 'excavate_dungeons'
/home/stef/.minetest/mods/nether/mapgen.lua:462: in function </home/stef/.minetest/mods/nether/mapgen.lua:328>
/usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:429: in function </usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:413>

Not sure if you have already faced that

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Thanks for the stack-trace, I can see that's issue #43 where Ethereal deletes every non-ethereal biome (including the Nether's biome). A workaround for this has been implemented.

The workaround is in https://github.com/minetest-mods/nether, which is the master version and is currently ahead of my dev fork.

Chrysolite Azalea
GitHub: ChrysoliteAzalea

by Chrysolite Azalea » Post

I wonder, which settings are best for playing at floatlands? (so I won't teleport to landless air, or inside the deep cave) Which floatlands settings are optimal?
cdb_JQUaRqvA1Vho

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

If someone wrote a find_surface() lua function for the new floatlands, the floatlands portals could use it to always open on some land, but paramat isn't interested in writing one himself so someone else would need to.

I don't have a great answer, I imagine you set FLOATLAND_LEVEL in portal_examples.lua to go to a height where there's usually always floatlands in sight, and if your portal appears inside one then digging out is part of the game (or you move the portal). If you find good settings, post them in the portals thread.

The current FLOATLAND_LEVEL height in portal_examples.lua predates the new floatlands, so could be updated if you find a more suitable height for default v7 floatlands settings.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

ywwv wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 00:21
I think you should put the other circles of hell int o this mod. they could be biomes or better yet seperate "layers" that you need to make more portals to travel too. that way you could go deeper into hell. there also needs to be sinners. it should be like dante's inferno.
I've implemented this idea, or at least made a proof-of-concept mod: Nether Layers

The Nether mod now has some interop documentation to help, though it's rather minimal.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 08:59
ywwv wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 00:21
I think you should put the other circles of hell int o this mod. they could be biomes or better yet seperate "layers" that you need to make more portals to travel too. that way you could go deeper into hell. there also needs to be sinners. it should be like dante's inferno.
I've implemented this idea, or at least made a proof-of-concept mod: Nether Layers

The Nether mod now has some interop documentation to help, though it's rather minimal.
thats really cool. the next step is to begin judging people. we dont know who god sends to hell but we can make some pretty good guesses . it isn't relatable to have a hell with anonymous people in it. dante placed many real people in hell in his masterpeice to better illulstrate his virtues . so the next step is to make a list; that will be the seed that which this new colony is populated by. I can think of some but you should go first as the arteur of this project

1faco
GitHub: minefaco
In-game: faco

by 1faco » Post

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

I think that means you need to update the nether mod.

I've updated the deep_nether_example mod to check for this and give a more meaningful error.

esel4alles

by esel4alles » Post

At what depth is the normal underground replaced by nether in this mod and where can I adjust it if necessary?

shivajiva
In-game: shivajiva

by shivajiva » Post

There are some conf settings available see https://github.com/minetest-mods/nether ... it.lua#L67 for the details, basically you need to add nether_depth_ymax to minetest.conf and the value you want, the default is -5000

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

Hi! I am using the Nether mod for a while now and it works fine!

These items have no registered craft recipes. Is this intentional or a bug?

1. Book of Portals
2. Nether Staff of Light and Nether Staff of Ethernal Light
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Those are special items you can only find in nether dungeon fortresses.

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

Nice, thanks!
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

The nether staff of light doesn't appear in any chests yet, so the only way you can get one is creative or /give, or if a server adds them.

As TenPlus said, it's intended as a treasure, and would be found in nether fortresses however the fortresses weren't finished.

The Book of Portals appears in normal loot chests and provides the player with portal recipes, but the book only appears if there are different types of portals available in the game - knowledge of how to build the traditional nether portal spreads well enough to not need a book. iirc the book also won't appear if you have the help/doc mod installed, as portal instructions will be found there instead.

littlePrettyCat
GitHub: alwayshopeless
In-game: littlePrettyCat

by littlePrettyCat » Post

Hello, thanks for the work, the mod is really good, but there are some problems, such as the lighting of the location, it is very dark all over the underworld. I solved this problem by adding light_source 4 for all nether nodes, but it seems to me that this is not the best solution, because of this the relief merges and does not look as good as it could. If anyone else is working with this mod, what tricks do you use to simulate Nether's global illumination? I read the documentation and came to the conclusion that the lighting rework in Minetest is not planned in the near future, which is a bit sad.
cdb_b870072d9f7f

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

littlePrettyCat wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 16:38
it is very dark all over the underworld
This can be improved a tiny bit by using the climate_api mod and enabling fog (F3 toggles fog, and '+' and '-' adjust it). nether will use climate_api to add a lighter-than-black distance fog.

However, I went to get a screenshot of this and found the feature wasn't working in the red area of the nether, oops, so there's a fix in the in the pipeline.

I think screenshots from my computer come out extra dark (gamma might be off or something), but perhaps this can still show how caverns in the far distance being lighter-than-black helps to throw relief against mid-distance walls which are black.

If you have admin/creative privileges, there's also a Nether Staff of Light you can play with.

Attachments
screenshot_20221114_030109.png
screenshot_20221114_030109.png (416.87 KiB) Viewed 3758 times

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Geodes

by TenPlus1 » Post

Is there any chance of having the crystal geode biome pull-request added to the nether mod? I included this pull in Xanadu server and players loved the idea of a middle red geode area to explore:

https://github.com/minetest-mods/nether/pull/35

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Yeah, SmallJoker indicated he would merge it if the licensing was updated, so I've done that.

Lets merge it.

(I had some misguided idea of it being a proof of concept, but that's pointless and there's more nether to build on when it's merged)

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Version 3.4 is released, which includes the crystal geode caverns.

Other fixes & improvements:
  • Nether brick fences support the "Tall fences and walls" setting in Minetest Game, and are interoperable with Minetest Game fences.
  • Gravel sounds added to lava crust.
  • Fumaroles won't extinguish nearby fires when used outside the nether.
  • Improves distance fog and coloring in the main Nether area when the climate_api mod is used.
forum_screenshot_cc5_gam0.8.jpg
forum_screenshot_cc5_gam0.8.jpg (86 KiB) Viewed 3396 times

Diablosxm
GitHub: Diablosxm
IRC: Diablosxm
In-game: Diablosxm

by Diablosxm » Post

Hi ,
Nice mod really like it. but i have little problem of texture.

br

Marc
Attachments
screenshot_20230416_144921.png
screenshot_20230416_144921.png (794.95 KiB) Viewed 3211 times

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Diablosxm wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 19:05
i have little problem of texture.
I can see from your location that that's this issue.

I think it's a weird engine bug, there's a fix described in the link - go to "Settings"->"All Settings"->"Mods"->"nether" and set the nether depth to -11072 (the chunk boundary).

Diablosxm
GitHub: Diablosxm
IRC: Diablosxm
In-game: Diablosxm

by Diablosxm » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 21:32
Diablosxm wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 19:05
i have little problem of texture.
I can see from your location that that's this issue.

I think it's a weird engine bug, there's a fix described in the link - go to "Settings"->"All Settings"->"Mods"->"nether" and set the nether depth to -11072 (the chunk boundary).
Hi ,
thanks for your quick answer and itis work for new generation of map , but how to fix those is already generated ?
br
Marc

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Diablosxm wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 01:12
how to fix those is already generated ?
Running /deleteblocks <pos1> <pos2> on the generated area under the nether will cause it to become ungenerated and then be re-emerged again when visited. Just make sure you're deleting only chunks at -11000, and take a copy of the map in case you mistype the coordinates.

If someone's built a structure there already that you must preserve, you could try to repair the area without deleting it via an LBM. I saw Ronoaldo implement something like that.

littlePrettyCat

It's me. again. Illumination correction for Nether :)

cdb_b870072d9f7f

littlePrettyCat

Next step :)
cdb_b870072d9f7f