[Mod] Nether [nether]

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

Re: [Mod] Nether [nether]

by Chem871 » Post

A good miner is always looking around for surprise ninja oerkki attacks, pros should be able to dodge said lava :)
What is SCP-055?

scottwolff
In-game: scottwolff or some variant of iasiney

by scottwolff » Post

I think it is essential to have this mod installed before first worldgen. It tended to not work when I tested it when I had a server under minetest 0.4.13

Wolfshippie
GitHub: Wolfshippie
IRC: wolfshippie
In-game: wolfshippie minehippie

by Wolfshippie » Post

scottwolff wrote:I think it is essential to have this mod installed before first worldgen.
Of course it is :)

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

Wolfshippie wrote:
scottwolff wrote:I think it is essential to have this mod installed before first worldgen.
Well not really.
the only place where things world gen spawn is sooooo deep -20000 that it isn't usually ever loaded unless you have a portal to it
there for a old world will still generate the nether properly, also same with the hell mod
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

Wolfshippie
GitHub: Wolfshippie
IRC: wolfshippie
In-game: wolfshippie minehippie

by Wolfshippie » Post

RSLRedstonier wrote:
Wolfshippie wrote:
Well not really.
the only place where things world gen spawn is sooooo deep -20000 that it isn't usually ever loaded unless you have a portal to it
there for a old world will still generate the nether properly, also same with the hell mod
It's always better, if you load a mapgen thing mod before loading the default map.
Okay... in this case it's maybe not *essential*, if you haven't been in these depths before.
But in some singleplayer worlds of me I reached those without the nether or any portals.

Edit: If you haven't been in these depths before, some old worlds could work with the nether gen of course.

davidthecreator
GitHub: daviddoesminetest
In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

by davidthecreator » Post

Wolfshippie wrote: If you haven't been in these depths before, some old worlds could work with the nether gen of course.
Should still generate, even if you were at -20000... just that you'll need to dig further away from your explored area

fexinel

by fexinel » Post

Hi. Why default bricks = nether stairs and slabs? How to solve this problem?
Image Image

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

fexinel wrote:Hi. Why default bricks = nether stairs and slabs? How to solve this problem?
Image Image
I had the same problem. I think the solution I found is not ideal, but what I did was replacle "brick" with "nether:brick" in the init.lua file (line 523).

Code: Select all

-- StairsPlus

if minetest.get_modpath("moreblocks") then
	stairsplus:register_all(
		"nether", "brick", "nether:brick", {
			description = "Nether Brick",
			groups = {cracky = 2, level = 2},
			tiles = {"nether_brick.png"},
			sounds = default.node_sound_stone_defaults(),
	})
end

stairs.register_stair_and_slab("brick", "nether:brick",
	{cracky=3, oddly_breakable_by_hand=1},
	{"nether_brick.png"},
	"nether stair",
	"nether slab",
default.node_sound_stone_defaults())
This creates a duplicate recipe, but allows you to craft "default:brick" slabs and stairs without a second mod.
When I simply deleted the "brick" it crashed the game (I did something wrong, but I don't know what it was).

wakishashiwhirlwind
In-game: robin robin1

by wakishashiwhirlwind » Post

how do you mine nether brick? I just teleported to the nether for the first time and my stone pickaxe won't mine anything but glowstone.

Fatty0666

by Fatty0666 » Post

Hey how about rather then "Nether" we call it the "Under-Below" cuz if Minecraft tells us the Nether is basically hell that would put it "Below" the caves in the game. So "Under-Below" makes a good name. At least I think so.

eggminer

by eggminer » Post

Hi there,

I'm having trouble activating the nether portal.

Minetest version 5.0.1 for ubuntu
Nether mod is enabled in the configure menu
Hosting server in creative mode
Can build a 3x4 portal with obsidian blocks
But right-click with the "mese crystal fragment" does nothing (no purple bubbly stuff filling up the hole)

I probably overlooked something here...

Please advice

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I never came across issues like that. I've seen issues with the nether crashing when I adjust the height of the biome to be lower.

However, can you confirm that you enabled the mod? Also, try left-clicking? I run a server with version 5.0.1 and as long as it was enabled, it mostly worked fine but I never saw a problem like yours, eggminer.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Fatty0666 wrote:Hey how about rather then "Nether" we call it the "Under-Below" cuz if Minecraft tells us the Nether is basically hell that would put it "Below" the caves in the game. So "Under-Below" makes a good name. At least I think so.
I changed all the "nether" references to "hell" in my game. But then I populated it with demons to fight.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

eggminer

by eggminer » Post

FreeGamers wrote:I never came across issues like that. I've seen issues with the nether crashing when I adjust the height of the biome to be lower.

However, can you confirm that you enabled the mod? Also, try left-clicking? I run a server with version 5.0.1 and as long as it was enabled, it mostly worked fine but I never saw a problem like yours, eggminer.
When type in the cli,

/mods
I see nether listed in the output

perhaps it has something to with version 5 or perhaps mapgen 7? just guessing...

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Your problem seems familiar, i think others have had this problem, maybe it is discussed earlier in the thread?

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Fatty0666 wrote:Hey how about rather then "Nether" we call it the "Under-Below" cuz if Minecraft tells us the Nether is basically hell that would put it "Below" the caves in the game. So "Under-Below" makes a good name. At least I think so.
You can call it Belgium :D
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I frequently see this fatal crash occur from this mod. It used to happen frequently when I had set the nether to only be -26000 in the .lua file. However, I currently have the depth set to -16000 and this still frequently happens. Reporting this now because this is the only remaining fatal bug in my server that I am aware of at the moment.

I've seen this occur on 5.01, 5.10, 5.2.0-dev

2020-01-11 13:20:19: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'nether' in callback environment_Step(): ....2.0-dev-linux/bin/../mods/lib_world/nether/init.lua:300: attempt to index local 'objpos' (a nil value)
2020-01-11 13:20:19: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-01-11 13:20:19: ERROR[Main]:       ....2.0-dev-linux/bin/../mods/lib_world/nether/init.lua:300: in function 'func'
2020-01-11 13:20:19: ERROR[Main]:       ...test-5.2.0-dev-linux/bin/../builtin/common/after.lua:20: in function '?'
2020-01-11 13:20:19: ERROR[Main]:       ...est-5.2.0-dev-linux/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:429: in function <...est-5.2.0-dev-linux/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:413>
2020-01-11 13:20:19: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

FreeGamers wrote:I frequently see this fatal crash occur from this mod:
A fix for this was committed to the github repo 4 days ago

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Nice! Thanks DoctorF.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I changed the register stair and slab section to look like this

-- Register stair and slab

stairs.register_stair_and_slab(
        "nether_brick",
        "nether:brick",
        {cracky = 2, level = 2},
        {"nether_brick.png"},
        "Nether Stair",
        "Nether Slab",
        default.node_sound_stone_defaults()
)

because i thought the lower case formatting in the sfinv menus looked sloppy.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

A Nether portals update has been merged.
  • The Nether can be used for fast-travel now. (or this can be disabled in options).
  • Portals interact with mesecons
  • Portals usually spawn on the surface instead of underground
  • Various other changes, I'll probably make a separate thread for the Portals API as it doesn't affect the Nether.
Destinations of existing portals are not changed.
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

So nether mod has a portal API now?

I may end up using this for a way to get to unaccessible space biomes. I just added luckyportal last night to give players a small change to randomly end up in space and hopefully get to those biomes. Now to decide if luckyportals still have a place in the game or not.

Now with Nether portal API, it looks like I can create a function to craft portals to the moon and mars? Neat. That maybe a more controlled way to handle this.

>Portals usually spawn on the surface instead of underground
Does this refer to if you make a nether portal in the nether? It will create a surface portal? Sounds good. I like this update. Will try it out when I get a chance.

Thank you for fixing those text sting formatting issues I pointed out earlier.

The only request I have is to add a settingtype for the nether depth. I have to manually change it each update.This looks like quite the update though! Cool!

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

FreeGamers wrote:The only request I have is to add a settingtype for the nether depth. I have to manually change it each update.This looks like quite the update though! Cool!
This is in PR13, but I may have already spent all my Krock's-spare-time credits on the last PR :)
FreeGamers wrote:Now with Nether portal API, it looks like I can create a function to craft portals to the moon and mars? Neat.
Yeah, I believe [hope] these kinds of portals will add a lot to a game, both in allowing Minetest servers to have different realms which can be discovered and explored organically, and in creating game progression and gating/tech-trees. It seemed a shame to have the concept reserved only for the Nether... which was barren in MT.
FreeGamers wrote:>Portals usually spawn on the surface instead of underground
Does this refer to if you make a nether portal in the nether? It will create a surface portal?
Yes - I meant building portals in the Nether to go to the surface. Sometimes the portal they create will still appear underground (if you're teleporting to the middle of a lake, somewhere someone has built, mountains etc.), but now they usually appear on the surface.

And since Nether portals can be used as fast travel now I expect there'll be more interest in building portals from the Nether to the surface.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

DrFrankenstone,

I just wanted to let you know that I implemented some portals with the API. They came our pretty nicely. I used the api.txt and examples.lua as templates. They are pretty basic implementations but I tested them and tweaked them. They definitely work well as early implementations for my game. Players now have a way to access the moon and martian biomes on their own without an admin setting things up with other portal mods beforehand. :)

https://www.notabug.org/FreeGamers/Sara ... portal.lua
https://www.notabug.org/FreeGamers/Sara ... portal.lua

If you have any suggestions feel free to let me know. I am still get a bit familiar with the functions and such that are in this.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

I've put the response to this in the Portals API thread