[Mod] Nether [nether]

cHyper-0815OL

Re: [Mod] Nether [nether]

by cHyper-0815OL » Post

what about nether mobs for mobs_redo (Nether Mobs by rael5) ?

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Yeah, I have one that is sort of WIP. Its inspired by DOOM and uses some of the mobs that D00M3d made in this community. It also uses a lot of sound assets from the game FreeDoom. Its WIP and its not really published here at all. Instead, its part of my mobs_creatures pack which seems like it may need to be modularized more. It has some good mobs in it. You can find it in my repo for Sara's Simple Survival.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

cHyper-0815OL wrote:
Spoiler

nether test with a 5.2.0 dev version and MTG vanilla ;-)
FWIW the nether mod on ContentDB is from 2018 and its particle effects are broken - which I see in the screenshot, the github version is newer.

However, if you want a Nether with more things in it, I made a few pull requests along those lines (not mobs though - just some landscaping and dungeons). The changes haven't been merged into the master branch yet, but I have a branch that contains them all if you're experimenting (github, zip). I don't recommend using thiat branch if you're not just playing around though because it introduces some new landscape nodes to the Nether, which won't look good if you later decided to move a generated map back to a version of the nether mod that doesn't have them.

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:
cHyper-0815OL wrote:
Spoiler

nether test with a 5.2.0 dev version and MTG vanilla ;-)
FWIW the nether mod on ContentDB is from 2018 and its particle effects are broken - which I see in the screenshot, the github version is newer.

However, if you want a Nether with more things in it, I made a few pull requests along those lines (not mobs though - just some landscaping and dungeons). The changes haven't been merged into the master branch yet, but I have a branch that contains them all if you're experimenting (github, zip). I don't recommend using thiat branch if you're not just playing around though because it introduces some new landscape nodes to the Nether, which won't look good if you later decided to move a generated map back to a version of the nether mod that doesn't have them.
Hi @Dr.Frankenstone...

please help me understand what I have to install:
only this Nrether mod
https://github.com/minetest-mods/nether ... master.zip
or
https://github.com/Treer/nether/archive/api-demo.zip
or both?

thanks

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Codesound wrote:Hi @Dr.Frankenstone...

only this Nrether mod
or
or both?

thanks
You only need to install one of them, and unless you know what you're doing the first link is the one you want, i.e. https://github.com/minetest-mods/nether ... master.zip

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:
Codesound wrote:Hi @Dr.Frankenstone...

only this Nrether mod
or
or both?

thanks
You only need to install one of them, and unless you know what you're doing the first link is the one you want, i.e. https://github.com/minetest-mods/nether ... master.zip
Thanks Doktor.....;-) thanks also for all your works!!!

klera

by klera » Post

Can someone provide a link to "stairs" i am looking for it for some time without a result.
Tested several different mods with stairs but get tons of missing stairs messages. (attachment)

Thank you
Attachments
missing_stairs.png
missing_stairs.png (65.61 KiB) Viewed 2821 times

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

stairs
normal is part of the game minetest_gamer, and so on your server
* ubuntu found it at usr/local/share/games/.../mods/
* win ...
so it will then be in git... also under minetest/games/...
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

klera

by klera » Post

Thank you so much. I was looking the whole time :)

Imk
In-game: Imk

by Imk » Post

Code: Select all

2020-04-07 05:32:44: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/imk/minetest/bin/../mods/nether/init.lua:
2020-04-07 05:32:44: ERROR[Main]: Unknown node: stairs:stair_cobble
2020-04-07 05:32:44: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-04-07 05:32:44: ERROR[Main]:       [C]: in function 'get_content_id'
2020-04-07 05:32:44: ERROR[Main]:       /home/imk/minetest/bin/../mods/nether/mapgen.lua:78: in main chunk
2020-04-07 05:32:44: ERROR[Main]:       [C]: in function 'dofile'
2020-04-07 05:32:44: ERROR[Main]:       /home/imk/minetest/bin/../mods/nether/init.lua:59: in main chunk

ERROR ver 5.2.0 Release
5.2.0-dev-0df646e-dirty worked well

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Imk wrote:

2020-04-07 05:32:44: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/imk/minetest/bin/../mods/nether/init.lua:
2020-04-07 05:32:44: ERROR[Main]: Unknown node: stairs:stair_cobble

ERROR ver 5.2.0 Release
5.2.0-dev-0df646e-dirty worked well
I couldn't reproduce this in 5.2.0 Release, Nether mod has a dependency on stairs mod, which registers "stairs:stair_cobble", so if cobblestone stairs is an unknown node then something has gone wrong with the stairs mod, or the dependency order.

Have you installed a different stairs mod? (Minetest Game contains both "default" and "stairs")
Is this running in a game which provides "default" but not "stairs"?

Imk
In-game: Imk

by Imk » Post

yes, Minetest Game default, stairs.
МТ 5.3 this error, too

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

I can reproduce it now.

MT 5.2.0 introduced new behaviour in PR 9458 which causes the minetest.get_content_id() function to fail fatally on stairs if the moreblocks mod is loaded.

You could remove moreblocks or change the problematic line in the nether's mapgen.lua to

local c_stair_cobble == minetest.CONTENT_IGNORE

but I don't yet know a non-hacky way for the nether mod to avoid the issue.

trungus
In-game: Trungus

by trungus » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:I can reproduce it now.

MT 5.2.0 introduced new behaviour in PR 9458 which causes the minetest.get_content_id() function to fail fatally on stairs if the moreblocks mod is loaded.

You could remove moreblocks or change the problematic line in the nether's mapgen.lua to

local c_stair_cobble == minetest.CONTENT_IGNORE

but I don't yet know a non-hacky way for the nether mod to avoid the issue.
Hi guys, I see this issue in github and I already post a workarround, you can use this snippet

nether.get_content_id = function(name)
	name = minetest.registered_aliases[name] or name
	return minetest.get_content_id(name)
end
and them you can replace all "minetest.get_content_id" call with the new function.

This work for me but now I have another problem and I think that is not related to "get_content_id", let me explain.

I put a lot of "print" calls and I can see the "register_on_generated" call doing the job, replacing nodes but there is no nether, just normal blocks (see the attachment).

Somebody has any ideas ?

Best Regards
Attachments
No nether :(
No nether :(
Screenshot from 2020-04-10 20-14-20.png (419 KiB) Viewed 2821 times

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

New mapgen code has been merged into the Nether mod. [the github repo, not ContentDb]

It adds some decorations, prevents some lava being eliminated, and lets you specify the depth of the Nether, but for compatibility reasons it won't change the basic shape of Nether caverns.

The main change is to make the Nether biome-based, so now more decorations, biomes, and ores etc can be easily added to the Nether. Either into the nether mod itself, or by other mods.

Example templates:

-- Check nether.useBiomes, as it will be false on v6 mapgens or old versions of
-- Minetest which can't support a biome-based Nether.
if minetest.global_exists("nether") and nether.useBiomes then

minetest.register_ore({
    ore_type       = "scatter",
    ore            = "your:ore_here",
    wherein        = "nether:rack",
    clust_scarcity = 28 * 28 * 28,
    clust_num_ores = 6,
    clust_size     = 3,
    y_max = nether.DEPTH_CEILING,
    y_min = nether.DEPTH_FLOOR,
  })

-- I confess I haven't experimented with adding more biomes to the nether.
  -- I *think* this will work...
  minetest.register_biome({
    name = "nether_weeds",
    node_stone  = "nether:mycelium",
    node_filler = "nether:mycelium",
    node_cave_liquid = "air", -- this line is important
    vertical_blend = 8,
    heat_point = 70,
    humidity_point = 70,
  })

end

-- decorations will now work even if nether.useBiomes is false however
-- decorations that contain lava should still check nether.useBiomes as
-- the nether's orginal mapgen will usually remove all lava.
minetest.register_decoration({
  name = "Nether rose",
  deco_type = "schematic",
  place_on = "nether:rack",
  sidelen = 80,
  fill_ratio = 0.0003,
  biomes = {"nether_caverns"},
  schematic = {...} -- or "decoration = ..."
})
Note that any biomes registered before the nether mod is loaded with a (y_min to y_max) which intersects your (nether.DEPTH_CEILING to nether.DEPTH_FLOOR) will be relocated by the nether mod.

This new mapgen code concludes nearly all the changes I can make to the nether while keeping the world forwards and backwards compatible with the old version of the nether. Any future changes would be adding new nodes or changing what the nether generates.
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Fri Jun 12, 2020 04:10, edited 2 times in total.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

I've had a eureka moment with solving some of the things I wanted the Nether to accomplish...

There are 3 disconnected spatial regions in the Nether and two of them are currently unused: all of the "classic" nether as we know it sits in one of those 3 regions. The other two regions can be used without changing the nether spaces in existing maps [much]. I'm attempting to turn one into a place of basalt and vast lava oceans (for reasons we can discuss later). Any community concerns, and what could/should be done with the other region is the purpose of this post.

Basically the Nether is carved from 3d perlin noise where the noise value is higher than 0.6. If you were to also carve a space where the noise value is below -0.6 then you create a second set of 3d nether "bubbles" with similar properties to the 'positive value' set, and these two types of regions will never touch. The third region is the space between those two, and if you leave a buffer zone, like defining it as abs(noise) < 0.5 then this middle region never touches the other two.

The middle region is not like the other two, and is the one I wish to turn into a basalt/oceans region. Connecting the regions without harming their shapes is a problem I'm still working on.

Currently the nether portals will only connect into the positive region, meaning that if some holes could be opened through the buffer zone that separates the regions, the other regions would require a expedition through the nether to reach (or some mining... and possibly falling), and to get from the 'positive value' region to the 'negative value' region, you must traverse the middle region.

A while ago in Issue 16 I argued we should expand the nether to include the negative noise region, but after realising I can solve a bunch of problems by using the middle region as a distinctive new addition to the nether, I no longer feel the negative noise region should be promptly squandered on producing more of the same kind of nether we already have.

So, my instinct is to leave the negative nether alone for now, but we have the possibility of another kind of nether, potentially made from different netherrack, which can't be reached by portal (unless you decide it can be), and requires a journey through the "center" of the nether to reach.

Creating the negative region is easy, however I don't intend to work on content for a 3rd region myself, and I think the 1st region still needs much more content and ought to be the first priority (though I'm hardly keen on Mojang's new approach of filling a Nether with everything including the kitchen sink). Now that decorations, ores, and biomes are supported in the nether it should make it much easier to populate.

Also, does this idea raise concerns?
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Sun Jun 14, 2020 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Demo vid of how unused space in the Nether mapgen allows a new hidden realm of lava oceans, without changing the existing Nether or breaking existing maps. (see previous comment for more details)

Code isn't finished or clean yet, but If you wish to play/test this version and mount your own expedition to find a tunnel to the center of the Nether, it's [edit] Pull request 33 (zip)

I'm wondering if basalt formations should be something that's only found at lavasea-level, ensuring basalt is harder to obtain, since currently you can often just mine through the nether wall until you hit some. In which case should something else be created to use for walls/land at "the center of the Nether"? A bedrock? What things should a lava ocean world have? What should the center region be called?

What would you like to see in a Nether mapgen?
Attachments
journey.jpg
journey.jpg (62.66 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Thu Jan 07, 2021 15:31, edited 5 times in total.

Duvalon

by Duvalon » Post

Wow. Just wow.

Now I'm a bit disappointed I started a new world on the master branch without reading this thread... guess I'll have to start over.

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

Anyone still got the old textures from the first releases of this mod?
This is a cool signature. :)

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

LRV wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 13:35
not sure if its the very first release, but its pretty old
nether by PilAdam.zip
(97.54 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

LRV
Helper

by LRV » Post

Nope, those textures are the same as the current ones.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

LRV wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 13:35
The git repo has every version. If you're meaning the netherrack texture then this is the latest version which still contained the very first netherrack texture: https://github.com/minetest-mods/nether ... 8a6350.zip

LRV
Helper

by LRV » Post

Ah, that's what I was looking for, thanks.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Nether update release

v3 now on contentdb and github.

Rumours emerge of a passageway through the netherrack to a great magma ocean.

An explorer claims to know techniques which can improve the chances of locating such a passageway to the Mantle, perhaps it's worth publishing these hints?

Details
The mapgen introduces some new nodes, so aliasing would be required if rolling back from v3 to earlier vesions.

Adds
  • French translation
  • fumaroles (Nether chimneys)
  • lava sinkholes
  • Nether tools (pick, shovel, axe, & sword)
  • introduces Nether basalts (natural, hewn, and chiseled) as nodes which require a player to reach the magma ocean to obtain, so these can be used for gating progression through a game. E.g. a portal to another realm might need to be constructed from basalt, thus requiring a journey through the nether, or basalt might be a crafting ingredient required to reach a particular branch of the tech-tree.
Currently the Mantle / basalt is a destination, but it's possible for someone to add another region which can only be reached by crossing the magma ocean - see comment earlier in this thread for more details
Attachments
mantle_small_web.jpg
mantle_small_web.jpg (166.99 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
mantle_small.jpg
mantle_small.jpg (155.51 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Tue Feb 09, 2021 08:57, edited 3 times in total.

KongarTheTerrible

by KongarTheTerrible » Post

hi, perhaps you can help. it's been a couple years since i built a server. however i spend a solid week carefully building, very few minor, superficial edits to any mods (if any) that should not cause conflict. Also debugged (removing any conflicts, etc, tested etc). Have a build working just fine, playtested - zero errors.

Nether mod - I had problems with an old version that I had on a previous build on a few versions back working fine, from before apparently some big engine changes. A week or so ago, I built a new server from scratch, I tried the new nether github releases as well. Same problem. My server appears to work flawless, no errors, solid build (I have learned from past the proper process to build and avoid problems), so it's not a mess. tested, works fine - no error in debug, etc.

Now I see an update, which is great timing so asking/reporting this issue. Assume it is something simple, but noted the depends, which are minimal so there * should not * be any conflict I would think.

Minetest version 5.3.0

Error:
ModError: Runtime error from mod 'nether' in callback on_mods_loaded():
/mods/environment/nether/nodes.lua:378: attempt to index field 'liquids' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
/mods/environment/nether/nodes.lua:378: in function /mods/environment/nether/nodes.lua:373>
/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:429: in function /minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:413>

-------
nodes.lua

-- register a bucket of Lava-sea source - but make it just the same bucket as default lava.
-- (by doing this in register_on_mods_loaded we don't need to declare a soft dependency)
if minetest.get_modpath("bucket") and minetest.global_exists("bucket") then
local lava_bucket = bucket.liquids["default:lava_source"] -- this line cited in debug.txt
if lava_bucket ~= nil then
local lavasea_bucket = {}
for key, value in pairs(lava_bucket) do lavasea_bucket[key] = value end
lavasea_bucket.source = "nether:lava_source"
bucket.liquids[lavasea_bucket.source] = lavasea_bucket
end
end
-------

No errors in my debug.txt.

I ask based on listed depends, which should be fulfilled.

liquids?? rather not edit it out. please let me know what i can do. thank you.