[Mod] Mesecons (= redstone) [GitHub] [minetest-mod-mesecons]

Jeija

Re: [Mod] Mesecons (= redstone) [GitHub] [minetest-mod-mesec

by Jeija » Post

1. OK, I get what you're suggesting. Actually the idea of having fake conductors is quite old and gets mentioned over and over again.
Actually, you don't need to make things that complicated. The easiest thing to do would be to simply redefine the "fake conductor" block with an onstate version and an offstate version (offstate would be the one that is already registered). There is no need for any more core functionality to be added as I see it.
Simply check out the code that makes the mese block conductive (https://github.com/Jeija/minetest-mod-m ... sewire.lua), it is just the same thing!

2. That kind of is how it works already?! Assuming you are powering off a switch that is connected to a long mesecons wire. The core will then first go along the wire and check if there are any other power sources connected. If none are found, the wire is turned off using a recursive function, not checking anymore for any connected blocks. The downside in speed of recursion is not that big of a deal as I see it here. If areas are unloaded, it will even save the "pulse" as you call it and try continuing it over and over again. Did I misunderstand something you said?

VoidLord

by VoidLord » Post

Uh, no. Thank you for the answers, they were very useful. I guess I just didn't want a multi-stage vertical wire worth more than a house :), so I guess I'll decide to make gold conductive later then, seeing as it currently has about the lowest intrinsic value in the game.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Jeija wrote: I just tried your configuration in a Virtualbox and could reproduce your problem. But I can say for sure, that it is not a mesecons bug, but it is propably in the minetest build. It worked for me when compiling the latest minetest version from the source code, there seems to be something wrong with the version in the ppa. In order to build minetest, just follow the instructions here in the section "Compiling on GNU/Linux".
Tried doing a build, and my build will work fine without mesecons (didn't test any other mods). BUT, when I add mesecons, It locks up and the following was in the terminal window:

Code: Select all

14:18:04: ACTION[main]:         .__               __                   __
14:18:04: ACTION[main]:   _____ |__| ____   _____/  |_  ____   _______/  |_
14:18:04: ACTION[main]:  /     \|  |/    \_/ __ \   __\/ __ \ /  ___/\   __\
14:18:04: ACTION[main]: |  Y Y  \  |   |  \  ___/|  | \  ___/ \___ \  |  |
14:18:04: ACTION[main]: |__|_|  /__|___|  /\___  >__|  \___  >____  > |__|
14:18:04: ACTION[main]:       \/        \/     \/          \/     \/
14:18:04: ACTION[main]: World at [/home/dnl/minetestcompile/minetest-minetest-e7ef4f0/bin/../worlds/testmesecons]
14:18:04: ACTION[main]: Server for gameid="minetest" listening on 0.0.0.0:56440.
Unsupported texture format
X Error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
From call : unknown
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

That is just weird. Is there no way you could upgrade to a more modern version of xubuntu now that 14.04 came out recently? Otherwise, you might want to try asking the question in a seperate topic or in the minetest IRC as it isn't exactly connected to mesecons. Do you have some kind of RAM shortage on your machine?
It also worked for me with 12.04 in VirtualBox with all the updates applied, but of course wasn't playable as VirtualBox does not work well with capturing the mouse. Still, the mod loaded just fine.
Unfortunately, the debug output you provided isn't exactly meaningful to me. You might want to try running it with --verbose option and try minetest and minetestserver seperately.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Jeija wrote:Is there no way you could upgrade to a more modern version of xubuntu now that 14.04 came out recently?
I should I guess. I got angry when Ubuntu put in the unity amazon search lens in 12.10 and haven't upgraded since. But since I'm using xubuntu and not unity anyway, I probably should just get over it and upgrade.

Thank you VERY much for your help. Any further questions I'll take to the bugs forum.

ZachyGames

by ZachyGames » Post

is there tutorials to make a door or something with this? i wanna make a mesecon door

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

@ZachyGames: In order to get started with Mesecons, check out http://uberi.mesecons.net/projects/Mese ... index.html. You can make doors with pistons or by connected mesecon wire to a wooden door. For more advanced stuff, go to http://uberi.mesecons.net/ .
If you want to find out about certain blocks, check out http://mesecons.net/items.php .

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

You can also make doors out of ghoststones and pressure plates (my favorite).

theoluk

by theoluk » Post

I am using a mac running qwook's minetest build for mac. I think it is the version equivalent of 0.4.7. I have installed the mesecons mod, but when I try to place anything from the mod, (mesecon, piston, etc...), it gives me an error message:

Code: Select all

Contents/Resources/share/mods/minetest/mesecons/mesecons/wires.lua:210:attempt to call field 'get_node' (a nil value)
Could someone please explain what this means and what I could do to fix it?
Thank You

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Your minetest version is far too old to be supported by the current mesecons. Can't you use this one: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9190 ?

theoluk

by theoluk » Post

Are there any older versions of mesecons that would run on 0.4.7? I will install the one you said but I am just wondering.
Thank You

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

There is this quite old one that might work: http://mesecons.net/stables/2012-08-16.zip

In general I recommend to use git reset (http://git-scm.com/docs/git-reset). You need to execute it in the mesecons folder to revert git commits made to mesecons. That way, you can revert to any version of mesecons. If you don't know how to do that, just download the version provided or update your minetest.

theoluk

by theoluk » Post

Thank You So Much. I will try that.

JoshMars
In-game: rubber UbuntuJosh

Players in lua controller

by JoshMars » Post

Is there an easy way to get the nearest player in lua?

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

This is definitely not the right place to ask, JoshMars.
You should ask that in the IRC or in some topic in Modding General. You will propably need to iterate through a list of all players and calculate their distances to your position manually.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

Re: Players in lua controller

by Evergreen » Post

JoshMars wrote:Is there an easy way to get the nearest player in lua?
You could use something like this: http://dev.minetest.net/get_objects_inside_radius

golthem
In-game: Golthem

by golthem » Post

Is the wireless setup working? I wasn't able to find crafting and when I opened the lua file up I noticed it was set to unlisted.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Does mesecons use voxel manipulation for any reason? If not, are there plans for it too?

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Not really, it wouldn't help much since it deals with metadata so much. That said, it could potentially be used to keep the chunks of a circuit loaded so they still work when far away from any players. These "world anchors" could potentially be very useful, but we need to determine a good way to implement this without breaking gameplay first.

Achilles
In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Post

Can we get projectors on this mod?

I was thinking of having some sort of projector to project an image of a block. It would be helpful for traps and etc...

Achilles
In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Post

Or maybe could we have ghost blocks that look like other blocks. So you put a ghost block in your inventory and say a mese block and you get a ghost mese block. It would work extremely well for hidden houses that need traps and etc...

lunisol

by lunisol » Post

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to create a working T flip-flop. I have no experience in working with circuits or coding but from what I've seen I need to do some sort of coding with the lua controller.
I tried making one the simple way like you can in MC but it just caused both pistons to extend at the same time pushing one back.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

You could put a delay on one of the pistons even more than one if needed.

I needed to put two delays on a piston after the power plant and put them in a loop with a nand gate in order to send the piston in and out in a manner that would allow it to be filled. I was trying XDGAMERZzZ skyblock map and one of the challenges was to set up a piston to move stone out in an auto cobblestone generator. The only problem is that it doesn't break the cobblestone and the limited set of mesecons he had in his mods didn't include the nodebreaker so it wasn't an auto cobblestone generator.

lunisol

by lunisol » Post

I'm basically trying to build THIS, but in Minetest. I can make the auto-stone generator, but cant get the T-flipflop to work correctly. and putting a delay on it wouldn't toggle it would it? I would think that would make it both flip and flop with the same button press.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

lunisol wrote:I'm basically trying to build THIS, but in Minetest. I can make the auto-stone generator, but cant get the T-flipflop to work correctly. and putting a delay on it wouldn't toggle it would it? I would think that would make it both flip and flop with the same button press.
You really can't build that in minetest because "BUDs" don't exist. Torches don't work the same way in mesecons as they do in redstone either. As for the t-flipflop, just use a microcontroller.