[Mod] Mesecons (= redstone) [GitHub] [minetest-mod-mesecons]

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

vtty0 wrote:
Spots wrote:energy is made it's not just puff oh look it's power it's made by water , sun or by the burning of fuel , even nuclear power it a conversion from one source to another to give us power
Mesecons mode's power plant, blinky plant, mesecon torch are nice "magic" items to generate energy. And interesting that when we place items as on screenshot:

that meselamp will be lighted when we push lever and even if we'll not place power plant/torch close to lever. Same thing with weight-reaction panels, object detector - there is no necessity on power supply placed close to one.

Please, tell if that's alright or bug?
In the electricity mod by RealBadAngel you can put torches over solar panel and have endless energy too.

Belgac

by Belgac » Post

PilzAdam wrote: In the electricity mod by RealBadAngel you can put torches over solar panel and have endless energy too.
Yes but this is due to the fact that torches are endless luminar energy producers (for just 1 coal) in default and thus not directly related to RealBadAngel mod.
I think it's better that each mod focus on what it's good at:
Mesecon: logic (and thus detectors and no generators)
Technic: energy

But none of this mods are mine and everyone is free to do what he wants with his own mod, i would just personnaly find it more logical.
Last edited by Belgac on Wed Aug 15, 2012 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Contributor: Plant aging library
Creator: (soon)

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Belgac wrote:That's why i think the batteries are kind of strange and not really usefull (maybe i'm wrong) and that the solar panel and hydro-turbine should be renamed to light and flow detectors.
For the batteries: In this case you're right. I just made them because a user requested it. I moved the betteries to mesecons-extension-batteries.

For the water turbine and the solar panel: I just call them like that because it is easier to understand for users.

@vtty0
I first thought: Yes that's alright, but then I realized that it does look strange. Fixed!
Redstone for minetest: Mesecons (mesecons.net)

Belgac

by Belgac » Post

Jeija wrote: For the water turbine and the solar panel: I just call them like that because it is easier to understand for users.
Thanks for your answer
We just disagree on easyness of understanding!
if i ever build a server i will just have to change the name and texture myself :)
Last edited by Belgac on Wed Aug 15, 2012 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Contributor: Plant aging library
Creator: (soon)

vtty0

by vtty0 » Post

Jeija wrote:I first thought: Yes that's alright, but then I realized that it does look strange. Fixed!
Many thanks for your great mod and quick response. I'm very happy with abilities of mesecons and the game with mese looks much better.

Spots

by Spots » Post

vtty0 wrote:
Spots wrote:energy is made it's not just puff oh look it's power it's made by water , sun or by the burning of fuel , even nuclear power it a conversion from one source to another to give us power
Mesecons mode's power plant, blinky plant, mesecon torch are nice "magic" items to generate energy. And interesting that when we place items as on screenshot:

that meselamp will be lighted when we push lever and even if we'll not place power plant/torch close to lever. Same thing with weight-reaction panels, object detector - there is no necessity on power supply placed close to one.

okay what makes the power to run them ...nothing it magical pulls it from the air , you make something and poof it makes "power" nothing to maintain or to set up just instant power that never ends,if you have a battery that has an endless supply of power then hell lets get rich ,buy it once and never recharge and never dies you could make millions
Last edited by Spots on Wed Aug 15, 2012 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Spots wrote: okay what makes the power to run them ...nothing it magical pulls it from the air , you make something and poof it makes "power" nothing to maintain or to set up just instant power that never ends,if you have a battery that has an endless supply of power then hell lets get rich ,buy it once and never recharge and never dies you could make millions
-.- You didn't even realize that minetest as a game is not logic. What is the point of having a world out of blocks?
Why do these blocks exist, why can there be blocks that are not a full-size node?
If creative mode existed, let's get rich: /giveme default:steel_ingot 999999 and sell them.

Mesecons just like minetest, minecraft or redstoe IS NOT REAL LIFE.
Last edited by Jeija on Wed Aug 15, 2012 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I usually think of the power "feeds" as being like the way modern schematic capture is done.

When you have a large schematic and the associated board design, in reality that is, the power connections to the various components are often almost completely hidden. That is, implicit power connections an IC takes in a schematic often aren't actually displayed by the schematic editor (except on request), and most circuit boards these days put power and ground on two inner layers, which of course aren't readily visible.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Pushed insulated mesecons, vertical mesecons will soon follow (I hope so).
Any ideas for crafting recipes?

My proposal:
insulated: M M
vertical:
M
M

M = Mesecon

vtty0

by vtty0 » Post

Jeija, how about an idea to make elevator (for transporting objects vertically) and transporter for horisontal objects moving?

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

You want to see that machine working? Got you!!
Actually it's just fake, but machines like this are possible!
You can place microcontrollers directly next to each other and connect them to a screen using isolated wires.

Sadly, there are no such machines in minetest yet :(
So what do you think about a contest?
You can enter it as a single person, team or even server.
After that a jury of three independant 'experts' will rate the creations
(propably sfan5, VanessaE and me depending on if they want to take part as creators or if they want to be the judges),
criteria are work invested and ingenuity.

I need 3 not binding signups for the contest to make it happen, I'll start it in an extra thread so that more people will see it.

Both small machines but great inventions and big machines can win!
You want to take part?!

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Yes! I'll build that Tic-Tac-Toe thingy I've been putting off if I can find the time. When does it begin? How much time do we have?

I'll have to work alone though, since my schedule is so unpredictable.

What do you think about removing mesecons-mod-temperest entirely? I'm OK with removing it, but are microcontrollers capable of making "instant" inverters/diodes? Or do they have a delay?

Edit: I've been away for a while and these new features are amazing! Especially the microcontroller :)
Last edited by Temperest on Fri Aug 17, 2012 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

I just found a strange bug.

Under 0.4.2 windows (RC1), the delayers seem to turn 90' Clockwise.

Lets see;

Code: Select all

Legend:

* = player

^ > < V = direction of delayer
So a

^
* (placing a delayer should be)

but in fact;

>
* (after placing)

I do hope you find this odd bug.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

For the contest:
When does it end?
I can't tell you exactly yet, but I guess I will make the end in the first week of september.
When does it begin?
I can't keep you from starting it, so you can begin right now! To make sure you don't do it
for nothing you may wait until there are at least 3 competitors.

btw: the creations can be sent in as maps (with coordinates) or as worldedit files. If possible add a very short documentation what it is and how it works (just what buttons I have to press, like 5 sentences, ingame or not)

@Jordach:
Actually this is not a bug IMHO. Placing them in a 90° angle makes putting the circuits together a little faster for the player. If others are of the same opinion like you, jordach, I will change it.

@Temperest: your temperest thing is an extension already, see mesecons.tk I hope you are OK with that.
Last edited by Jeija on Fri Aug 17, 2012 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Jeija; I have started to prefer MC to MT now; however - mesecons are a damn sight better for electronics; without stupid modding requirements in that .jar file.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Jeija wrote:For the contest:
When does it end?
I can't tell you exactly yet, but I guess I will make the end in the first week of september.
When does it begin?
I can't keep you from starting it, so you can begin right now! To make sure you don't do it
for nothing you may wait until there are at least 3 competitors.

btw: the creations can be sent in as maps (with coordinates) or as worldedit files. If possible add a very short documentation what it is and how it works (just what buttons I have to press, like 5 sentences, ingame or not)

@Jordach:
Actually this is not a bug IMHO. Placing them in a 90° angle makes putting the circuits together a little faster for the player. If others are of the same opinion like you, jordach, I will change it.

@Temperest: your temperest thing is an extension already, see mesecons.tk I hope you are OK with that.
I can be in the jury if you want me to.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

You would have been the first I had asked if sfan5 or VanessaE didn't want to.
Welcome in the jury! (C'mon 2 more creators)

TheLoLMan

by TheLoLMan » Post

GOOD +1

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Jeija wrote:btw: the creations can be sent in as maps (with coordinates) or as worldedit files. If possible add a very short documentation what it is and how it works (just what buttons I have to press, like 5 sentences, ingame or not)
I don't believe WorldEdit supports node metadata saving; it's likely that microcontroller stuff will not get saved. Anyways, I've added metadata saving to the WE todo list, I'll see if I can add support for it.
Jeija wrote:@Temperest: your temperest thing is an extension already, see mesecons.tk I hope you are OK with that.
I know, I was referring to removing the repository entirely. But now that I think of it, it's probably better to keep the repo around for compatibility reasons.

Now I have a working input screen for the Mesecon construction!

Isolated mesecons + Microcontrollers = <3

Also: sometimes mesecon wires (normal, not isolated) appear as stone (when off) and wood (when on), I can't find anything in the code that causes this or steps to reproduce it, so I can't file a bug report yet. I'll see if I can find out more details and maybe fix it.
Last edited by Temperest on Fri Aug 17, 2012 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Post

what if I make a collection of machines in a map for the contest?

I sign up btw, just want to know some rules.
Meow.

That is all.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Several machines are also fine.

You're also allowed to code your own conductor/receptor/effector (e.g. blue lightstone to make an RGB-Display), but it must be usable for others and it mustn't be possible to replace it with something else (e.g. a not-block isn't allowed because it could be done with a microcontroller)
Last edited by Jeija on Fri Aug 17, 2012 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

So; can I submit multiple machines? (In the same post or in multiples?)

Also; Image

My quick Day night sensor.
Last edited by Jordach on Fri Aug 17, 2012 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

In the same map, same description!

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Jeija; to keep things simple, make a contest in General Discussion, because in this topic it will be hard to filter bugs from the worlds and others, etc.. etc..

Also; Half adder using uScript.

Ill send my world in at some point.

I also suppose I should share my Tic-tac-toe game too; (Sorry for the night time shots)

The inner-workings;

In action;
Last edited by Jordach on Fri Aug 17, 2012 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

I need 3 not binding signups for the contest to make it happen, I'll start it in an extra thread so that more people will see it.
That's what I said. I'll start the thread tomorrow. You don't need to post any screenshots, jordach.