[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Most people who create those models work with a program called Blender.
A list of my mods can be found here.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

cupofinsane 2.2 is current stable master and is on github
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

cupofinsane

by cupofinsane » Post

oops.. you're right. I apologize. I somehow managed to download outdated version from github %) Don't understand how that happened. Aaaand i think i found bug in fireballs. Created issue on github https://github.com/sapier/animals_modpack/issues/73

GommeHD

by GommeHD » Post

sfan5 wrote:Nice mod! But there should be more animals
dist du deutscher

Misty

by Misty » Post

Sokomine,
Hi : )
Blender creates .blend files as it's native format, and I havent been able to find a b3d plugin for it. I can export and import lots of file formats, including .obj, and .dae, just not b3d. Any idea where I can find the needed add-on/extension? ( for those who dont already know it, Blender add-ons are .py plugin scripts. ) Can the game load and use a .blend file if I cant export a .b3d file?

What program actually creates the files with the .b3d extension as it's native format?

Thanks for telling me about your mods, I'm going to go download and check them out.
I wish you the very best of luck getting your sleep, walk, sit actions to work, I am curious to see what you've managed to do with that so far. My traders seem to walk over to neighboring traders shops to visit when no one is looking, thus putting them all in the same place and leaving one shop vacant. : P you never see them walking about though.

You said:
Regarding new tranders, do have a look at my random_buildings modpack. Have a look especially at the mobf_trader mod in the pack. I've been trying to add sleeping/sitting/walking to the mod (which works only partially), but that may not be of intrest to you. The diffrent traders offer diffrent items in diffrent quantities. If you want to trade items from other mods, add those to the depends.txt of your mod.
Yes this is definitely of interest to me,your comment about mod dependencies is helpful, and I am interested in learning how animated actions can be used in the game.

To Johnyknowhow,
if you make textures you like for the mobs, please share them.
I love trying out new textures.

Sapier,
Thanks again for a wonderful mod.
I hadnt known there was a way to control spawn density in mobf, so I will go back again and try to find it.
I am still looking for what I need to know, and reading the online documentation, there is a lot for me to learn.
Certified 100% signature Virus free.

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

I'm trying to create better textures for the animals. Unfortunately that is a really slow process. I call up paint.net and edit the mesh.png files painting them obvious colors so I know what part of the animal I'm working on, then paint the colors and go into minetest and look at the animal there. Would blender or some other program help me see my changes more quickly and allow me to control the movement of the mob? Or is there some other program I should be using. I'm running windows.

I don't like all the white textures for the animals. I'm trying to turn the gull into a hawk. The chicken & cow should be more brown. The sheep should be less white as well.

Edit: So I downloaded blender, opened gull.blend, hit f12 to render, and it just shows a gray gull. What do I need to do to render with the .png texture? Here's some info but it will take me weeks to figure out:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2 ... ying_Image
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Sep 22, 2013 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

If you do diffrent (colored) textures for animals, perhaps those can be added as new animals - so that white gulls and hawks both roam the sky. The same applies to chickens and cows.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Misty

by Misty » Post

Neuromancer,

The most likely reason you see the gull as grey, is because the " draw type" in your blender window is set to solid.
To change the draw type of the live preview render ( the view you see in the blender window as you work) click the little arrow on the right of the draw type selector button, and then choose "textured" from the little pop-out menu.
This should make the texture visible on your model.

Once you've done that your model might suddenly turn black, white or magenta.
if that happens it just means the texture isnt applied, so dont panic.

If you need to apply the texture
I can send a link or a pm to explain how. It isnt complicated, and its really very easy...its just takes a lot of typing to explain with only words. A few pictures would explain it so you could understand in just a few seconds.
oh, wait!... Try watching this tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg4x1QVx ... OgISrDQ2HE
Last edited by Misty on Sun Sep 22, 2013 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

The gull appears grey is because the material(S) used is a flat object, waiting for an image to be applied...

(I'll make a rundown tomorrow.)

Misty

by Misty » Post

Thanks Jordach, I havent found the file to open and look at it yet.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Jordach wrote:The gull appears grey is because the material(S) used is a flat object, waiting for an image to be applied...

(I'll make a rundown tomorrow.)
Ok. I get that I need to select "cube" (which in this case represents the gull object). Then I click on the red marble to the right to go into the materials pane, and on the red and white checkerboard to get to the textures pane. I am even able to pick a texture type of marble, choose a color below, and I get an orange marble colored gull. I'm trying to figure out how to get it to use the gull.png. I think the .png is called a uv, which just means it is like taking all the sides of the gull and flattening them out.

So under textures, I selected "Image or Movie" . Then in the Image section under source, I selected the folder and drilled to the gull.png and it did display the gull.png wrapped around the gull. It doesn't look 100% covered (there are some small gray areas between the white shapes but I think that is the way it is supposed to look.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Sep 22, 2013 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

no no no :-) you don't need to add a new material, blender is just to stupid to find the image. for some reason it saves absolute paths in blender file

1) open blender
2) select 3d model (not bones)
3) split screen to have to edit windows
4) make one editor a UV/Image editor
5) switch second screen (the one with 3dview to edit mode (now you should at least see the face mapping grid in uv/image editor)
6) open the texture image in uv/image editor "image"->"open image"

if you did correct you'll see a flattened texture in your uv/image editor showing the texture as well as highlighted face mapping

BTW I just released 2.2.1 version of mobf fixing two crashes with current stable version.

PS:
If you did update the uv-mapping the original texture won't match any longer ... if someone knows a better way to create uv-mappings tell me I'm blender newbie too.
Last edited by sapier on Mon Sep 23, 2013 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Misty

by Misty » Post

The only mesh file I can find for the gull is a b3d which I cant open in blender.
where can I find the blend file you guys are working with?

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

You need to download mobf from github in order to get all raw data. That data isn't required to use the mod but is quite huge, so it's not included in release zip file.
Last edited by sapier on Tue Sep 24, 2013 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

Ikishida

by Ikishida » Post

it needs better models and better AI cause for me,the AI's stupid no offense but create better models and better AI so it wouldn't suck okay bro?
When life hands you lemons,throw it back at life saying "I don't need your goddamn lemons!" =D

Misty

by Misty » Post

Thank you,

I have the model and can open it now. : )

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

ikishda AI is improoved with each new version but keep in min there's allways a tradeoff between cpu requirement ans more smart behaviour.

if you could provide more information about what should be improoved first I can have a look how to do.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

sapier wrote:ikishda AI is improoved with each new version but keep in min there's allways a tradeoff between cpu requirement ans more smart behaviour.

if you could provide more information about what should be improoved first I can have a look how to do.
There is also always a tradeoff between fast typing and typos :-p

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I'm owner of copyright of all of my typos and I'm gonna demand licensing fees for reproducing any of my typos next time ;-P

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

sapier wrote:I'm owner of copyright of all of my typos and I'm gonna demand licensing fees for reproducing any of my typos next time ;-P
Sapier's Sig wrote:(c) sapier all rights reserved
Seems legit, haha.

Misty

by Misty » Post

Neuromancer,
The textures on the model in gull.blend arent applied, but even when they are you cant see them
because of the lighting in the scene. Move the lamps, and maybe add two more and you will see the texture
once it is applied, and you have draw mode in the 3d view set to show it.
do you know how to apply the texture in object mode?

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Using the Pyramids Mod made me think how great it would be if there were camels. There are animals for the water, the sky,and the grasslands & woods, but nothing for the desert. And camels would make the pyramids mod really rock!

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Misty wrote:Neuromancer,
The textures on the model in gull.blend arent applied, but even when they are you cant see them
because of the lighting in the scene. Move the lamps, and maybe add two more and you will see the texture
once it is applied, and you have draw mode in the 3d view set to show it.
do you know how to apply the texture in object mode?
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out and let you know. I've been putzing around with it and then get distracted by other shiny objects, and am not exactly sure if I know the answer to you question. But I will get back to it eventually and let you know. Blender is a complicated beast, but I think we can figure it out eventually.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Awesome! I will test and let Mossmanikin know.
Sapier wrote:
https://github.com/sapier/animals_modpa ... t-25702997

I just added all pieces to create the movement you suggested.
Still there are some things that should be thought about:

1) spawn within 10 nodes once a bobber is placed, I don't think this is a good idea as it may lead to overcrowded lakes if a fish isn't cought. Yes I know if not done this way it may be frustrating to catch a fish ... but isn't that quite realistic? ;-)
2) catching, this has to be done by the bobber the fish will swim there and just stay there for some time. More detailed, if a bobber is within some range of a fish there'll be a chance to swim towards it for some (random) time. If a bobber is reached within that time the fish will stay there at least until the time has passed. If not it'll continue random movement for some time.

Is this behaviour ok for you?
-----------------------
I'd say Mossmanikin is going to have ideas for this and integrating with his Fishing Mod. It sounds great, just let me know when you have commited this to GitHub so I can download and test/play!
Last edited by Neuromancer on Fri Oct 04, 2013 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

GingerHunter797
In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Post

Can someone tell me what this error means???

17:36:29 ERROR[ServerThread]: LuaEntity name "mobs:sheep" not defined

This happens with all the mobs, not just sheep! Also in place of the mobs there is a purple square. This is REALLY annoying and I would REALLY REALLY like to have monsters in Minetest!

Please Help!!!
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/