[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

Purrune

by Purrune » Post

saiper i have a glich look for it in bugs and problems.

hammergil

by hammergil » Post

nice mod, i am a little confused on how to lasso the sheep however. when i try to lasso a sheep, it sheers it. if i right click with the lasso, it kills the sheep. am i missing something?

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I've just labeled first preview version of upcoming mobf release, 2.1.80 is ready for testing.

Main improovements:
-way more smart probabilistic movement gen
-automatic movedir facing
-faction support (gui still missing)
-new settings menu (call by /mobf)
-profiling support (requires socket lua addon)
-some fixes from issues list
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

I just tested animals_modpack-mobf_2_2_dev a bit on minetest 0.4.7 stable.

When rightclicking on Chicken, Clownfish, Cow, Deer, Blue white fish, Gull, Rat, Sheep, Tamed Wolf, NPC or Ostrich I get the following error:

Code: Select all

20:32:15: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error running function 'on_rightclick': ...\bin\..\mods\animals_modpack-mobf_2_2_dev\mobf/debug.lua:432: attempt to index field 'attention' (a nil value)
20:32:15: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
When rightclicking on Big Red, BoomBoom, Dungeonmaster, Vombie, Archer, Oerkki or Slime I get the following error:

Code: Select all

20:54:23: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error running function 'on_rightclick': ...\bin\..\mods\animals_modpack-mobf_2_2_dev\mobf/debug.lua:434: attempt to index field 'most_relevant_target' (a nil value)
20:54:23: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
When rightclicking on Wolf, Guard, NPC Trader there's no error.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

thanks for reporting this issue I'm gonna fix it as soon as possible

Azvael

by Azvael » Post

Hi!

I'm running this mod without problems until I encounter a hostile mob at night. The game crashes and I get the following error:

ServerError: LuaError: error running fuction 'on_step':
/user/share/minetest/bultin/depreciated.lua:41: bad argument #6 to 'func' (string expected, got no value)

The crash occurs once I get close (don't know how close exactly) of a hostile mob at night.

Minetest 0.4.7 on Ubuntu 13.04

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

P.S.

Sapier, thank you for creating this amazing mod. :)

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Azvael wrote:Hi!

I'm running this mod without problems until I encounter a hostile mob at night.
This sounds familiar.
If it is the same error as I had a while ago this happens with the vombie.
In that case I would disable the spawning of vombies until the next update of this mod (in the development version I didn't have this error).

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Azvael

by Azvael » Post

Mossmanikin wrote:
Azvael wrote:Hi!

I'm running this mod without problems until I encounter a hostile mob at night.
This sounds familiar.
If it is the same error as I had a while ago this happens with the vombie.
In that case I would disable the spawning of vombies until the next update of this mod (in the development version I didn't have this error).
Thank you for your help. i'll do as you suggest.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I just added a FAQ section to wiki on github if you know about questions of common interest plz help me add them.
https://github.com/sapier/animals_modpa ... -questions

jasminemolock

by jasminemolock » Post

How Do i get Off The Ostrich im Kinda Stuck

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Please work with Mossmannikin and add support for his fishing mod. Each mod should be able to detect each other. This mod should only have to detect if a bobber is in the water and then the fish behave differently. For example:
  • Once a bobber is in the water, a fish should spawn within 10 nodes.
    It will still have random movement at that point, but it should have a higher probability of moving toward the nodes directly beneath the bobber.
    Anytime the fish is directly beneath the bobber, it will have a certain percentage of stealing the bait, meaning it will go back to moving completely randomly and can't be hooked.
    If under the bobber it will also have a certain percentage chance of being hooked.
    If it is hooked the fish will move away from the player and down and drag the bobber under the water. But the fish can only go a small distance away from the bobber (say 3-4 nodes away from the bobber)
    The player then can reel the fish in by using the scroll wheel on the mouse which will bring the bobber and thus the attached fish closer and closer to the player and the bobber up.
    Once the fish is touching the player, it disappears from the world and appears in the players inventory with a message that the fish has been caught.
Even if only some of this could be implemented together it would be awesome!
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Aug 24, 2013 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:Please work with Mossmannikin and add support for his fishing mod. Each mod should be able to detect each other. This mod should only have to detect if a bobber is in the water and then the fish behave differently. For example:
  • Once a bobber is in the water, a fish should spawn within 10 nodes.
    It will still have random movement at that point, but it should have a higher probability of moving toward the nodes directly beneath the bobber.
    Anytime the fish is directly beneath the bobber, it will have a certain percentage of stealing the bait, meaning it will go back to moving completely randomly and can't be hooked.
    If under the bobber it will also have a certain percentage chance of being hooked.
    If it is hooked the fish will move away from the player and down and drag the bobber under the water. But the fish can only go a small distance away from the bobber (say 3-4 nodes away from the bobber)
    The player then can reel the fish in by using the scroll wheel on the mouse which will bring the bobber and thus the attached fish closer and closer to the player and the bobber up.
    Once the fish is touching the player, it disappears from the world and appears in the players inventory with a message that the fish has been caught.
Even if only some of this could be implemented together it would be awesome!
I love your idea! :)

@ sapier: if you're willing to collaborate and you have time for it, let me know. :)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Here's some other stuff, maybe have a splashing sound if the fish gets near the surface or when it is pulled out of the water. Or better still, have the fish be able to jump 1 node out of the water with a splashing sound, and have a chance of "throwing the hook" or becoming unhooked when jumping. Feel free to use splashing sounds from ambience immersive sounds mod.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Aug 24, 2013 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Neuromancer wrote:Here's some other stuff, maybe have a splashing sound if the fish gets near the surface or when it is pulled out of the water. Or better still, have the fish be able to jump 1 node out of the water with a splashing sound, and have a chance of "throwing the hook" or becoming unhooked when jumping. Feel free to use splashing sounds from ambience immersive sounds mod.
Yeah, jumping fish would be cool.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Some random thoughts:
*So is the only way to get a bone to tame a wolf by killing a vombie?
*Boombombs/creepers are causing the game to crash. Even with the latest dev version.
*Why do bigred's never appear? All that ever spawns for me are boatloads of vombies and regular animals.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Aug 25, 2013 18:14, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@Mossmanikin I already thought about something very similar to Neuromancer suggestions but didn't want to conflict with your mod. So if you're ok to join forces I'll put this enhancement on list for 2.3. I don't wanna add new features to 2.2 right now as release is scheduled end of august ;-)

@neuromancer
1) you don't need a bone to tame a wolf ... but I guess it'd be way more intuitive if it was that way --> issue for 2.3
2) should be fixed with current version I pushed a fix today ... not sure if you got that one
3) big red is meant to be very rare ... as it's a big mob it's chances are even less. It only spawns in large caves below ground. (at least it's meant to spawn there)

Edit1:
@All I'm about to switch development center to github, I still will announce important things here . If you wanna know whats going on in details have a look at github site of animals modpack
Last edited by sapier on Sun Aug 25, 2013 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

sapier wrote:@Mossmanikin I already thought about something very similar to Neuromancer suggestions but didn't want to conflict with your mod. So if you're ok to join forces I'll put this enhancement on list for 2.3. I don't wanna add new features to 2.2 right now as release is scheduled end of august ;-)
Sounds good.
This way I'll have some time to try and understand the mobf code. :D

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I'm about to write a mob making tutorial but I guess to add that feature some changes in core are necessary

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Awesome that both of you like integrating this Mods fish with the Fishing Mod! I don't want to slow that process down at all, but I think somewhere a ways down the road it would be cool to add bears that are attracted to fishing activity and beehives and beekeeping activity. They could steal fish and honeycombs, and attack the player who gets in their way.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

Holy macrel, I just saw a sheep with it's knees bent laying on the ground! Is it resting, giving birth, or hurt?

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

it's resting

EDDIEDUCE

by EDDIEDUCE » Post

I've got the error on_step issue too. Seen it for quite a long time too.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@EDDIEDUCE almost everything is done on_step could you post a little bit more error information? I intend to release a new stavke version next weekend so any error report is helpfull.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Post

For the most part, players can ignore the animals except when they want to harvest them. What if the animals had an agenda?

For example what if rats and deer were attracted to the players crops and would start munching on them. If the player didn't drive them off they could destroy those crops. What if wolves were attracted to the player's livestock and would attack and eat the chickens & sheep? And as I mentioned before bears could be attracted to hooked fish and players behives and would eat those as well. Suddenly these animals could no longer be ignored.

The upside is that most of this logic could be shared between all the animals. Attraction & moving towards their dinner. This could pretty much just steal a bit of the logic where hostile mobs are attracted to players. If a rat spawns near your crops, he is going to move towards them.

Then there should be some sound effect when they next to and are attacking the player's resource, chewing noises, growling, etc. And then the ruined players resource if they don't get their soon enough to drive the animal off.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Mon Aug 26, 2013 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Yes Neuromancer that's same direction I was thinking at, improve movgen by some sort of "prefered" direction which is chosen by some criteria and selected with a chance bigger than random.
This way fish could move towards a bobber, as well as rats towards crop.
Making a wolf attack players lifestock should work with minor changes, at least as soon as I have sorted out why wolf isn't attacking anyone atm . But it rwuires additional changes to wolf as it's staying where it spawns atm. Maybe switch wolf to some patrol mode similar to guard if player lifestock is around, pathfinding could provide the path to move.

The one big problem is mobs don't stay active if a player is next to them, I can't use the keepactive too. There are huge numbers of mobs withing the whole world, that'd result in almost same load as a x-k player server. x not being a small number too. Usually once a server starts a world in activated area around him are 150-200 mobs ... and thats only one small piece of world.

Don't take me wrong, the direction is correct for 2.3 it just wont be done at once and will be flawed until all issues are sorted out ;-)

I suggest you post you suggestions to github issues, they're way more easy to sort than 46 pages of forum posts ;-)