[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

Tedypig
IRC: Piggybear87
In-game: Piggybear

by Tedypig » Post

Thank you sapier. One more and I will leave you alone. Lol. The saddle resipe is missing from that. Also, about shutting up the chat?
01010100 01100101 01100100 01111001 01110000 01101001 01100111

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Post

Tedypig wrote:
Topywo wrote:Look for the recipes in the init.lua in the folder/directory called 'animalmaterials'.
I did that, there's only 3 recipes in there. I found 'barn' in it's folder, but I can't seem to find 'scissors', 'lasso' (I figured that one out myself), I'm not on my normal computer so I can't list all that I'm missing. I wish there was a screenshot style recipe section somewhere. I do have scissors now, but I had to make up a recipe for it. Sapier can you add a page or make a quick wiki on recipes? It sure would be helpful to newer users of your mod (and for people that don't understand Lua good enough to find it in the code). Thanks.
Unified Inventory is good at showing you all the craft recipes for an item ;)

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

There is no saddle reciep you can only buy it from trader
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

Azuna

by Azuna » Post

I found this hut with a guard in it attacking these zombiethings just SWARMING THE PLACE. they killed all the other things. who needs sleep, anyways? ;~;

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:
Sokomine wrote:AspireMint has written some models (including animations) and textures for new animals. The integration into mobf isn't perfect yet - getting a swan to swim isn't easy, and some other aspects are not perfect yet either. If you like to test it, get the mobf_animals repro from github.

Rabbits come in brown, grey and white (good for snowy landscapes):
http://mg.viewskew.com/mgoblin_media/me ... t_grey.png

A donkey you can actually ride on:
http://mg.viewskew.com/mgoblin_media/me ... donkey.png

Butterflies:
http://mg.viewskew.com/mgoblin_media/me ... terfly.png

A swan:
http://mg.viewskew.com/mgoblin_media/me ... l_swan.png

A turtle (hides inside its shell if you attack it!):
http://mg.viewskew.com/mgoblin_media/me ... turtle.png

Although the mobf versions are not perfect yet, they are already more convincing in "behaviour" and movement than the simple mobs versions.

Thanks to AspireMint for the fine models and to sapier for mobf!
A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Swan seems to have a bent neck however... I suggest correcting that especially if this is intended for default (otherwise it breaks the style).
Doesn't anybody care about these animals that AspireMint made? Anybody at all?

AspireMint, if you are reading this, I strongly urge you to add your custom animals to simple_mobs. Otherwise, they will not have any value in the eyes of the masses in this community.
Last edited by Inocudom on Sat Nov 30, 2013 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The problem is: simple mobs is not meant to handle nicely animated peaceful mobs. I tried AspireMints models with simple mobs first (in the hope to get them on some servers), but wasn't satisfied with the result. Simple mobs are simple...and sometimes that behaviour is just too simple :-( A turtle..hopping...every other moment...that's just...they don't do that. If you want good and halfway convincing animals, mobf is far superior.

Sapier claims that it consumes far less CPU cycles by now - most seem to have been used for spawning the animals. Having lots of mobf animals roam around the map is usually no problem. As long as you get rid of the vombies. Perhaps simple mobs ought to be used for fighting, while mobf can handle mobs you don't want to kill on sight but watch for longer than 2 seconds (the dirt- and sandmonsters in simple mobs are ok as well; the sheep are not).
A list of my mods can be found here.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Sokomine wrote:The problem is: simple mobs is not meant to handle nicely animated peaceful mobs. I tried AspireMints models with simple mobs first (in the hope to get them on some servers), but wasn't satisfied with the result. Simple mobs are simple...and sometimes that behaviour is just too simple :-( A turtle..hopping...every other moment...that's just...they don't do that. If you want good and halfway convincing animals, mobf is far superior.

Sapier claims that it consumes far less CPU cycles by now - most seem to have been used for spawning the animals. Having lots of mobf animals roam around the map is usually no problem. As long as you get rid of the vombies. Perhaps simple mobs ought to be used for fighting, while mobf can handle mobs you don't want to kill on sight but watch for longer than 2 seconds (the dirt- and sandmonsters in simple mobs are ok as well; the sheep are not).
I like mobf better than simple_mobs myself, but the masses don't share my enthusiasm. Just look at the following lines in yesterday's #minetest chat log:
http://irc.minetest.ru/minetest/2013-11-29#i_3461880
I find the chat discussion to be disheartening.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Instead of complaining about "beeing bad" you should start reporting the issues inocudom ... what you do atm is just bashing without any proof for your claims.
There are bugs in mobf for sure but most of them are minor or not even mob bugs .. if people add 100 mods and thousand mobs to a slow single core server this won't work for sure. I keep on improving to make mobf handl those slow machines but I doubt I will ever be able to run mobf on a 1990 486DX33

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

sapier wrote:Instead of complaining about "beeing bad" you should start reporting the issues inocudom ... what you do atm is just bashing without any proof for your claims.
There are bugs in mobf for sure but most of them are minor or not even mob bugs .. if people add 100 mods and thousand mobs to a slow single core server this won't work for sure. I keep on improving to make mobf handl those slow machines but I doubt I will ever be able to run mobf on a 1990 486DX33
You should go on #minetest and tell john_minetest (and the rest of the people there) that.

Will AspireMint's new animals be added to mobf? They are very pretty and deserve to be part of mobf (or an expansion pack of it.)

There should be an option that prevents mobs from destroying nodes that can be toggled on and off in a configuration setting.

valmet565

by valmet565 » Post

Great job Sapier and AspireMint. I am your fans. I upgraded today to version 2.2.91, and I also tried new animals: donkey, swan, etc. The donkey moves really well, just awesome. I like this more than the Simple mobs.

I lifted spawning density. I feel more comfortable when they are a little less and fps is very good.

valmet565

by valmet565 » Post

Would it be possible that the deer will run away in any direction, when you go too near or when a deer sees a player. It would be forced to hunt with a bow and swan too.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

AspireMint/Sokomines mobs are scheduled for 0.2.4
valmet565 deer now will run away if you get close to it ... I know it's no very smart when running away ;-) will improve that in later versions

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

what does that factioning mean the animals will do?
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

factioning was main feature of 2.2 ...
If you have factioning mod installed you can make your guards defend your home against other players while some friends are free to enter.
Factions is used for some mobs being friendly to each other while being enemy with others too.

Edit:
I just added 2.2.95 ... hope this is going to be identical to 2.3
Last edited by sapier on Sat Nov 30, 2013 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Valmet565, I am grateful to see that you have an interest not only in mobf, but also the new animals for it. I was worried that mobf would lose support in time. However, your liking to them is a spirit lifter for me.

Sapier, it is good to see that you will include the new animals in mobf. To make the mod even more enjoyable for creative mode players, would you consider featuring an option that toggles whether mobs can destroy nodes or not?

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

Sokomine wrote:The problem is: simple mobs is not meant to handle nicely animated peaceful mobs. I tried AspireMints models with simple mobs first (in the hope to get them on some servers)
I run mobf on my server
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

As far as I know there's only a single mob capable of destroying nodes "big_red". As it's quite easy to disable a mob I suggest to remove big_red in order to achieve a non node destroying mobf installation.

In mobf 2.3 mobf will use a limited amount of cpu time per step only. This reduces lag by some degrees. Not everything mobf does is within this quota but most time consuming actions.
Last edited by sapier on Sun Dec 01, 2013 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

roguelikesesp

by roguelikesesp » Post

¿Why i just see (with 3D models) an rabbit and the elements monsters? ¿Where are the cowns, pigs, zombies, etc? I need to use 2D models to activate these mobs? Also, ¿How to use the 2D mode?

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

because you did install simplemobs instead of mobf roguelikesesp

valmet565

by valmet565 » Post

I tried the update. Deer runs to really get away. Just awesome. Deer in the woods can be obtained the sword, if you manage to run it at a dead end. This is relatively easy. With a bow needs at least 15 arrows, so that the deer will die.
The arrows needs to do more damage. However, a diamond sword requires 9 strokes.

Deer could move slightly when you hit it. It would be great if the rabbit and the swan would go to get away.
Awesome job. Thank you for all the awesome mode

valmet565

by valmet565 » Post

I noticed that the log will be very much along these lines. Apparently, the new animals make these.
[ 30.365000]MOBF: error calculation consumed time: 30365 --> 30365
[552.938000]MOBF: error calculation consumed time: 552938 --> 552938
At least 70000 lines

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Sokomine wrote:AspireMint has written some models (including animations) and textures for new animals. The integration into mobf isn't perfect yet - getting a swan to swim isn't easy, and some other aspects are not perfect yet either. If you like to test it, get the mobf_animals repro from github.

Rabbits come in brown, grey and white (good for snowy landscapes):
http://mg.viewskew.com/mgoblin_media/me ... t_grey.png

A donkey you can actually ride on:
http://mg.viewskew.com/mgoblin_media/me ... donkey.png

Butterflies:
http://mg.viewskew.com/mgoblin_media/me ... terfly.png

A swan:
http://mg.viewskew.com/mgoblin_media/me ... l_swan.png

A turtle (hides inside its shell if you attack it!):
http://mg.viewskew.com/mgoblin_media/me ... turtle.png

Although the mobf versions are not perfect yet, they are already more convincing in "behaviour" and movement than the simple mobs versions.

Thanks to AspireMint for the fine models and to sapier for mobf!
I tweaked the Turtle texture:

Image Feel free to use it in your modpack. My changes are WTFPL

Also, I don't seem to be able to get the butterflies to spawn.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Mon Dec 02, 2013 01:49, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

valmet565 guess I need to update again to remove that message. It's non critical as both values are same this means the function didn't spend any time. this is a artifact of lack of precise timing information. But that shouldn't result in spaming console.

valmet565

by valmet565 » Post

Please, could you do it. It's spam console. Otherwise, everything seems to work well. My laptop be able to runs Minetest well.

I think that the lag is due to more of the following modes (Plantlife, Plants [3.5]). I tried those mods and they are really cool, awesome, but I disabled them.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

2.3.2 is out fixing the spam issue .... yet I suggest installing luasocket without it time quotas will not work as good as they could ... spam was result of lack of luasocket installation