[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

kobayashi

by kobayashi » Post

c-55 should add it by default in minetest
BY ME (KOBAYASHI) FOR YOU =)

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

It's too laggy to be considered for inclusion in any official Minetest_game projects, thanks to the way servers run. Even with luaJIT, it still lags enough to make things unplayable. Further more, some features are missing from the mod- I think I've written some patches for my private server to fix that, but I've never gotten around to uploading them.

Among the issues is the ever-young lambs, etc. I wish the Animals would grow up!
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@tinoesroho
could you plz tell me what your setup is and in which situations you experience lag? I'd gladly help to reduce lag for you too.

The lambs bug should be fixed in current version, plz TELL the issues you find to me I can't fix it if I don't even know about it!

@vktRus I'm sorry your issue isn't fixed with 2.1.1 it's a core bug triggered by mobf. Workaround is disabling dm and big red.
Last edited by sapier on Sun May 05, 2013 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

kobayashi

by kobayashi » Post

I have a lag too when I run on an ostrich

PenguinDad

by PenguinDad » Post

Which function have the saddles?

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@kobayashi this is not a mobf issue but your pc/server beeing to slow.
If you ride an ostrich you move through the world way faster than if you run without. Running through map needs to load/unload or even generate new mapblocks. The faster you run, the more mapblocks need to be handled --> more cpu power is required.

@Limux buy from trader
Last edited by sapier on Sun May 05, 2013 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

vktRus

by vktRus » Post

I am remove folder animal_big_red and my server stop crash.

P.S. in server minetest.conf your mod added:

Code: Select all

mobf:/home/minetest/.minetest/worlds/world: mobf_preserve_mobs = return { { ["modname"] = "animal_sheep", ["owner"] = "VLADIMIR", ["name"] = "sheep", ["reason"] = "remove uninitialized" }, { ["modname"] = "animal_sheep", ["owner"] = "VLADIMIR", ["name"] = "sheep", ["reason"] = "mgen probab solidblockcheck" }, { ["modname"] = "animal_sheep", ["owner"] = "VLADIMIR", ["name"] = "sheep", ["reason"] = "remove uninitialized" }, { ["modname"] = "animal_sheep", ["owner"] = "VLADIMIR", ["name"] = "sheep", ["reason"] = "remove uninitialized" }, { ["modname"] = "animal_wolf", ["owner"] = "VLADIMIR", ["name"] = "tamed_wolf", ["reason"] = "mgen_follow poscheck" }, { ["modname"] = "animal_sheep", ["owner"] = "VLADIMIR", ["name"] = "sheep", ["reason"] = "mgen probab solidblockcheck" } }
Last edited by vktRus on Sun May 05, 2013 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

vktRus

by vktRus » Post

ups. Crash again.
I walked up close to the bomb.

19:28:47: ERROR[main]: ServerEnvironment::deactivateFarObjects(): id=205 m_static_exists=true but static data doesn'
t actually exist in (20,0,-60)
WARNING: StaticObjectList::remove(): id=205 not found
19:28:48: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ServerError: LuaError: error running function 'on_ste
p': ...est/.minetest/mods/minetest/animals/mobf/weapons.lua:52: bad argument #1 to 'punch' (userdata expected, got n
il)
19:28:48: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:

In thread b6cec700:
/build/buildd/minetestc55-0.4.6/src/main.cpp:1967: int main(int, char**): Assertion '0' failed.
Debug stacks:
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD b6cec700:
#0  int main(int, char**)
(Leftover data: #1  Dedicated server branch)
(Leftover data: #2  virtual void ServerMap::save(ModifiedState))
(Leftover data: #3  virtual void ServerMap::saveBlock(MapBlock*))
(Leftover data: #4  void ItemStack::serialize(std::ostream&) const)
Last edited by vktRus on Sun May 05, 2013 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

you don't have to delete it you may just disable them from mobf_settings

I've already issued a pull request to fix this bug in core sorry I can't do much more about it.

ZacAttack

by ZacAttack » Post

Vombies will not die if you hit them with a sword or any item animals will you sometimes can not pick up eggs u should put a saddle so u can ride the ostrich that would be awsome
Zdg

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

You can buy a saddle for the ostrich from the traders that randomly spawn complete with small huts.
A list of my mods can be found here.

kobayashi

by kobayashi » Post

if you make spawn a trader build he a home

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Maybe Pavel_S could make models for this mod sometime? Such an effort would be greatly appreciated (he could use the current ones for inspiration.) The current models could either then be an optional look or still be the default one.
Last edited by Inocudom on Mon May 06, 2013 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

No a trader doesn't build his home himself the house is built on spawning only. It's just a proove of concept. Nice to look but not necessary for trader to work.

New models are always welcome, plz have a look at model sizes (in b3d format). I hate to deny adding a model due to way to big size. It's even worse for me if that model looks really good.
A model should be no larger then 500kb ... I won't deny it if it's 550kb either but I can't add a model with 1mb or even 2.5mb.

@ZacAttack can you give more information? what sword do you use, what mobf version and wich minetest version?

EDIT1:

To avoid crashes until minetest is fixed plz disable following mobs:

dm
big_red
creeper/boombomb
Last edited by sapier on Mon May 06, 2013 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The models Pavel_S did work well in mobf with a bit of adaption (not much more than what is needed in simple mobs) - mobf is a good framework to use such models as mobs. The .x format seems to be supported as well as .b3d. It would be helpful if the problem with the rotation of the models could be solved (sapier told me mobf models are rotated by 90 degree, and thus, Pavel_S' models move sideways because those are not rotated).

In general, what is needed to do a mob with mobf is the model, a texture, and information about where which state of the animation starts and ends (frame numbers). mobf supports far more than just walking and standing. Eating and sleeping are further states an animal might be in, and there may be more if there are more animations available.

I've contacted Pavel_S some time ago and he told me that what he'd welcome help with is the texturing. Is there someone out there who might assist there? I'm very bad at textures and can't help. Using sapiers framework to turn the model into a mod is much easier.

As far as model size goes, a smaller model might be much better because of reduced download time when connecting to a server with that mod installed. Even if it's not included in mobf directly, it could be a seperate modpack with some mobf-based animals.

kobayashi

by kobayashi » Post

what about add cat

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Pavel_S needs a texture artist? Is there anyone in this community that is good at textures? When creating the textures for the models, you will probably want them to default to the 16 x 16 resolution. Textures with higher resolutions could be released as texture packs.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I think the resolution of the textures for the animals is least important. It's better if it's a small image, but compared to the data of the model, it may not be that relevant.
Hopefully someone will help Pavel_S with the textures.

vktRus

by vktRus » Post

This mods off:

dm
big_red
creeper/boombomb

Server work 24 hours, but crash:

21:41:31: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ServerError: LuaError: error running function 'on_step': ...test/mods/minet
est/animals_modpack/mobf/fighting.lua:1101: attempt to index local 'target_entity' (a nil value)
21:41:31: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:

In thread b6d0b700:
/build/buildd/minetestc55-201305062007/src/main.cpp:2024: int main(int, char**): Assertion '0' failed.
Debug stacks:
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD b6d0b700:
#0  int main(int, char**)
(Leftover data: #1  Dedicated server branch)
(Leftover data: #2  virtual void ServerMap::save(ModifiedState))
(Leftover data: #3  virtual void ServerMap::saveBlock(MapBlock*))
Then 3D models of animals is disabled — no this error.
Last edited by vktRus on Tue May 07, 2013 18:14, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Thanks for your bug report I've fixed this crash and updated mobf to version 2.1.2

kobayashi

by kobayashi » Post

kobayashi wrote:what about add cat
please answer me

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Have you made a model for a cat?

You can not expect mod developers just to add stuff immediately on request.
If you made a cat model, I am sure he would add it.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

kobayashi

by kobayashi » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Have you made a model for a cat?

Sorry I have forgotten that I would just make a suggestion(I'm not english so if I have made mistake )

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@kobayashi adding a mob is quite simple. There are two possible ways you may get your mobs:
-If there's more interest in a mob or a mob requires new features to be added by mobf chances I'll add it myself is quite good.
-If someone supplies model and 2d texture as well as description how this mob should behave

for all other cases you may suggest adding it of course but it'll be queued low priority only

edit1:
of course you may create a mob yourself and submit it for inclusion in next animals modpack version
Last edited by sapier on Wed May 08, 2013 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Have you made a model for a cat?

Pavel_S or Melkor should be good at making such a model. See if you can contact them about it.