[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 00:34

sapier wrote:I suggest you post you suggestions to github issues, they're way more easy to sort than 46 pages of forum posts ;-)

Glad you like the ideas. I put them on the issues list. I may still post new ones here to see what your thoughts are, and then add them to the issues list if you like them. Here's a bonus one, just to see what you think, tamed wolves could patrol and discourage wolves from attacking livestock. Otherwise, I'm thinking building good fences and barns would keep the wolves out. Tamed dogs might even keep deer and rats out of crops.

You liked the rats eating crops. I hope you do the deer also. Any experienced farmer will tell you deer are even worse than rats when it comes to crop damage.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Wed Aug 28, 2013 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

DigAmy

by DigAmy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:31

Not good :/ there is some bug in the enviorement.lua file..Also is very laggy...
DigAmy can do his work: request mod XD

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:46

DigAmy I'm sorry but I can't do anything if you don post the "some bug in environment.lua" error information ;-). If you do so plz tell what version you're using too. If you did test stable branch, I suggest waiting for weekend as new stable is almost finished, fixing a lot of performance issues.
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Wed Aug 28, 2013 14:36

As Minetest's support for moving entities improves, this mod should become more widely used. It certainly has more variety and more peaceful creatures than simple_mobs does.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/

george90867

by george90867 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 17:22

cant open mobf menu
EDIT it says invalid command
Last edited by george90867 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Thu Aug 29, 2013 18:51

/mobf is only in new version in old one this was /mobf_settings

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 13:14

There are often times when a world becomes completely unresponsive. Usually when this happens the last message I see is "Cannot find path". This usually means that I'm standing somewhere near to a monster, but they have no way of reaching me. And so the system freaks out trying over and over again to find a path to me, but there never can be one because there is a huge chasm or wall between me and the hostile mob. If you close minetest and come back in, the world is still completely unplayable and the last message you will see again is "Cannot find path".
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Aug 31, 2013 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Sat Aug 31, 2013 16:49

@Neuromancer https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/887 fixes your issue

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 19:51

I realize this is probably a dumb question but how do you kill an oerkki? I'm using a steel sword and after hitting it for several minutes, I'm starting to think it's not a viable method of attack.

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 20:09

Jouster27 wrote:I realize this is probably a dumb question but how do you kill an oerkki? I'm using a steel sword and after hitting it for several minutes, I'm starting to think it's not a viable method of attack.

This sounds like a glitched mob where sometimes you hit it many times and it's still there...

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:41

I just released mobf 2.2 ... I usually prefere to release bound to minetest but this seems to be impossible atm

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 17:12

Another idea, if you hit a mob with a flaming arrow from PilzAdam's throwing Mod, the animal should catch on fire run around setting things on fire, die and leave you with cooked meat. Kind of gruesome, but really convienient. It kind of stinks that the throwing mod doesn't do any damage to Mobs anymore. Maybe just make Mobs flammable? Maybe there should be other ways to catch them on fire, if they go into a burning forest?
Last edited by Neuromancer on Mon Sep 02, 2013 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 17:12

Just found out that I can't seem to kill a wolf either. Yeah, something isn't working right. I was using a mithril sword on the wolf so something isn't working right. I'll see if the 2.2 version is any more reasonable.

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 17:25

Jouster27 wrote:Just found out that I can't seem to kill a wolf either. Yeah, something isn't working right. I was using a mithril sword on the wolf so something isn't working right. I'll see if the 2.2 version is any more reasonable.

I just tried 2.2 and the wolf isn't taking any damage with it either. I enabled the lifebar to see if my attacks were doing anything at all but if they were, the amout of damage from the my attacks was too small to see. Since I deleted the old mod outright, I can't see this being a faulty copy of the mod... the only remaining possibilities are that there's something wrong with my game config or the mod doesn't allow you to attack dangerous mods (I haven't tried to kill a chicken or sheep yet so they might be invincible as well for all I know). Anyone have any useful advice?

By the way, I like the new menu system and "/mobf" is MUCH easier to remember than "/mobf_settings". Any chance we can put a formspec control in so we can access this from Inventory ++?
Last edited by Jouster27 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Thu Sep 05, 2013 20:29

Jouster27 I just tried a steel sword, wolf is killed with a single punch ... I assume there's a bug in mithril sword. Weapons need to have correct damage groups in order to work correct.

yea I was to lazy to type mobf_settings everytime too ;-) ... of course inventory++ support could be added there was support for it once but it seemed to be discontinued. If someone provides a patch to use inventory++ if available I'll add it to next release

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 22:32

When you use the creative inventory to place mobs, they stand still for a long time. Sometimes, they will eventually move around. Sometimes, they will not.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Mon Sep 09, 2013 15:01

That's not a bug but correct behaviour. Mobs have different states which are switched based on their chance. Initial state is "stand" which is valid for 30s after that a new state radomly selected. This states duration is gauss distributed around it's typical duration.
If the random state is "stand" too the mob may stand for quite some time.

Johnyknowhow

In-game: Minetestian

by Johnyknowhow » Tue Sep 10, 2013 18:40

If I get this mod ill change the textures a lot lol
I lost interest in Minetest for a couple of years and... I am still not really paying much attention. I rarely browse these forums anymore but it's nice to see old faces.

obligatory fancy signature goes here

fishyWET

GitHub: neinwhal
IRC: neinwhal

by fishyWET » Wed Sep 11, 2013 05:51

-
Last edited by fishyWET on Tue Apr 04, 2017 06:27, edited 1 time in total.

Rhys

by Rhys » Wed Sep 11, 2013 06:49

fishyWET wrote:<offtopic> How do you make those mesh? Is there a program that u use?

It is on topic, and, you use mesh.x files and skins. That's for Simple Mobs.

fishyWET

by fishyWET » Wed Sep 11, 2013 06:54

-
Last edited by fishyWET on Tue Apr 04, 2017 06:26, edited 1 time in total.

cupofinsane

by cupofinsane » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:37

Jouster27 wrote:I realize this is probably a dumb question but how do you kill an oerkki? I'm using a steel sword and after hitting it for several minutes, I'm starting to think it's not a viable method of attack.

I guess it's because oerkki has armor_groups= {fleshy=15, deamon=30,}
and steel sword has damage_groups = {fleshy=6}. I tried set stone sword damage_groups = {fleshy=20, deamon=20} and killed Big Red with one hit. Wihout deamon damage group I wasn't able to do it. May be I'm wrong, it's just assumption, I didn't read hitting code

Btw, sapier, why don't you upload actual version (2.2 at the moment) on github?
Last edited by cupofinsane on Sat Sep 14, 2013 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

Misty

by Misty » Sat Sep 14, 2013 22:23

Hi,

I've been using mob framework for a while now, so let me start by saying thanks for the mod. : )
When we first downloaded and installed the mod the Vombies always crashed our server if we got near them, so we have them disabled now. I will check this thread to see if the bug has been fixed, but in the meantime I have read what I can find of the documentation, even though I dont understand a lot of it. I do have some questions that I couldnt find the answers to .
1. Is there a way to control spawn density for the mobs?
Sometimes more than one trader, cow, or sheep will spawn in the same spot. They overlap and you cant interact with them when that happens. I'd like to fix that if I can.

2. Could I replace the animal models with my own 3d meshes, or add my own unique models, and if I do what kinds of 3d files can the game read and use? ( I want to add some mobs of my own to our family server )

3. I have tried to add items to the mobf trader's inventory, but my changes arent working.
I looked for, but couldnt find a template for the trader mob, and the items I want to add come
from other mods. Do I need to import the mods that contain the items, or tell mobf to getmod path?
I want traders to Buy as well as selling, is it possible to do that?

Maybe all this sounds unrealistically ambitious, but I want to learn.
I think it would be great to have traders on our world that buy and sell, and converse, even in a limited way with players that interact with them. Npc villagers would be great for the towns to, but npcs tend to vanish right away after they're placed.

ok, ok, I have about a million questions, but I'll stop bugging you for now. : P
Certified 100% signature Virus free.

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Sep 15, 2013 15:23

I'm working on inhabitants for the world as well :-) Here some (hopefully) helpful answers to your questions:

1. Mobf already comes with some density control functions, especially regarding spawning. When two mobs share the same spot, it might be a case of entity duplication (a bug).

2. You can replace the models easily by replacing the .b3d file with your own version. Or - the better solution - create a new mod based on mobf containing the new animal. I've done so for "wild" cars. The mobs in the mobf modpack are a good example. All it really takes to do new mobs based on mobf is a model.

3. Regarding new tranders, do have a look at my random_buildings modpack. Have a look especially at the mobf_trader mod in the pack. I've been trying to add sleeping/sitting/walking to the mod (which works only partially), but that may not be of intrest to you. The diffrent traders offer diffrent items in diffrent quantities. If you want to trade items from other mods, add those to the depends.txt of your mod.
A list of my mods can be found here.

fishyWET

by fishyWET » Mon Sep 16, 2013 15:33

-
Last edited by fishyWET on Tue Apr 04, 2017 06:26, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases