[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

Vince

by Vince » Post

Temperest wrote:It's the latest stable, yes, but your minetest_game may not be the latest.

I recommend 0.4.2 RC.

Thank you! That's all it was. After I downloaded the 4.0.2, the animals mod worked. I assumed (yes, I know) that the "latest" version was the one on the main minetest page 4.0.1. So I'm running 4.0.2 now.

Thank you to everyone who helped with this issue. It is greatly appreciated.

tonyka

by tonyka » Post

textures for the cow
features:
size = 160 x 160 px
spots match well (must be flip horizontally, front and back textures, I think it minetest error ...)

Image Cow.zip
My mod: [MOD]3D Forniture 1.0
Download: 3DForniture_v_1.0.zip
Page development (European Castilian):
Moviliario 3D (proyecto 3D Forniture)

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

could be a model error ;-) I'm always little bit confused about point order when defining the models but I tried to make them at least consistent for all models I create :-)
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I've added your cow graphics looks great! Whats the license for it?

Blackthorne

by Blackthorne » Post

I tried this modpack, but I keep getting unsatisfied dependencies for "Wool" and "Animals". Any help would be appreciated.

DerakuTenshi

by DerakuTenshi » Post

hey i'm running Minetest version 0.4.1 and have animals modpack-1.3.0 and the mod animals, as well as vombies. when i do to start a game i receve this "ModError:Failed to load and run" then gives the file location any ideas about how to fix it?

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Blackthorne wrote:I tried this modpack, but I keep getting unsatisfied dependencies for "Wool" and "Animals". Any help would be appreciated.
DerakuTenshi wrote:hey i'm running Minetest version 0.4.1 and have animals modpack-1.3.0 and the mod animals, as well as vombies. when i do to start a game i receve this "ModError:Failed to load and run" then gives the file location any ideas about how to fix it?
For the latest animal mod you need the latest minetest version 0.4.2 rc1 (that has a mod wool in the default game)
Last edited by Topywo on Thu Aug 16, 2012 06:13, edited 1 time in total.

tonyka

by tonyka » Post

sapier wrote:I've added your cow graphics looks great! Whats the license for it?
is a gift, for your mod
choose the one you want
I feel good WTFP, like all your pictures

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

thanks I'll add them as WTFP as all other graphics too.

@ALL
I've got little time atm so I'd wanted to ask you what features you'd prefere to be added next. If someone thinks there is a much more important feature please tell me.

By now I plan following order:

a) adapt and include celerons vault generation code within animal_dm
Currently dm's are simply added to dark caves with a minimum size of 3. Adapting celerons example dm code would create their own caves with chests and lava on map generation and spawnd dms in there.

b) add new path based movement gen
to use this mgen I'd add a special tool so players can specify waypoints within game and then make a mob move from waypoint to waypoint.
I' thinking about some sort of mule that walks some path carrying your items/stones and other things.
It's further planed to create guard mobs. Guard mobs attack other players/hostile mobs as soon they detect them and continue their patrol as soon as fight is finished.

c) 3D models for more animals

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

c)

Belgac

by Belgac » Post

b)

And what would be really cool with guard mobs is to not only have a player defined path to protect but also things to protect. ie: you could say to a mob to protect a wall or a chest, if a player or mob tries to detroy it or check the inventory then guard enter in action.
Contributor: Plant aging library
Creator: (soon)

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Ok updating all animals to 3d mode takes some time for all of you waiting I've added preview screenshots in main post.

-3D rat
-3D vombie (with new burn animation)
-3D chicken
-3D deer
-3D Gull (do you spot it? ; -) )

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Awesome!
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

cosarara97

by cosarara97 » Post

I'm going to tell you my experience with this mod. I just downloaded and installed it (and updated minetest from git), created a new world and started to play. This is what I did:
1. I found a chicken. I Took an egg and killed the chicken with my hand (got just a feather and the egg).
2. I found a tree, took wood and made a wooden sword.
3. I foud a rat, killed it and got nothing.
4. I found 2 cows.
5. Many error messages (animal bug, drowning, and all that) started appearing in the terminal.
6. I tried to kill a cow (using the wooden sword). It had 40 hp. Most times did 0 damage, sometimes 1.
7. Crafted a pick, got cobble, crafted a stone sword. Same problem as with the wooden sword.

Then, before I could kill the cow, the server somehow freezed (I could move and digg things, but I didn't get them to my inventory) and I had to kill the process.
:D

TheLoLMan

by TheLoLMan » Post

GOOD JOB

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@cosarara97
first of all thanks for your feedback!
1) is expected to be that way chicken drop eggs every now and then

5) I've now added a best effort handling in that special case that triggered 99% of the error messages so they'll be reduced next to zero next mod

6) doing most time zero damage is due to minetest damage handling is rounding damage values to "half hearts". As maximum damage with most items (including sword) is 1 or 2 it's nearly everytime rounded to 0. Minetest damage handling needs to be improoved to be more precise to really handle fights.

For killing hostile mobs I'm going to add a bone sword in next animals version doing far more damage.

hmm freezing is really bad ... I'd be glad if you could provide more information if this is reproducable and if please give me some mor information how you triggered it

thanks again

cosarara97

by cosarara97 » Post

sapier wrote:@cosarara97
first of all thanks for your feedback!
1) is expected to be that way chicken drop eggs every now and then

5) I've now added a best effort handling in that special case that triggered 99% of the error messages so they'll be reduced next to zero next mod

6) doing most time zero damage is due to minetest damage handling is rounding damage values to "half hearts". As maximum damage with most items (including sword) is 1 or 2 it's nearly everytime rounded to 0. Minetest damage handling needs to be improoved to be more precise to really handle fights.

For killing hostile mobs I'm going to add a bone sword in next animals version doing far more damage.

hmm freezing is really bad ... I'd be glad if you could provide more information if this is reproducable and if please give me some mor information how you triggered it

thanks again
Well, I'm not sure about how to reproduce the bug, but it happens every time I play with this mod, and I have to create a new world, because when you restart the game the bug persists.
:D

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@cosarara97
I've been able to reproduce the Bug. Not quite sure how I did it and what is triggering it but I'm optimistic to fix it for next version.

EDIT1:
I've done some investigation on the hang I've discovered. In my case animals mod somehow seems to trigger a bug in minetest core making one of it's threads throwing an exception on collision handling. I'm not sure if I'll be able to fix that in animals mod itself. Probably it's a sideeffect of the "wielditem" abuse.
http://pastebin.com/gE5rSYvi

EDIT2:
Ok I think I've got it. Problem isn't exactly the exception itself but the number of exceptions. But start from the beginning.

First the facts:
1) map ain't loaded in client anymore
2) animals are visible on client without terrain
3) exceptions on server occur due to animals "colliding" with unloaded nodes
4) "emerge thread" loading terrain doesn't get active until minetest crashes after some time.

What I think is happening:
Entitys beeing loaded prior map beeing loaded wasn't really a situation I expected when programming animals mod. Many functions rely on map data beeing available and VALID.
In follow up movement is started somehow and then simply overloading minetest servers collision handling.

Solution:
on_activate checks if node animal is is really loaded and delays activation of on_step handling until map is really loaded.

I'm doing some investigations if this really fixes the problem and release a new version of animals mod soon.
Last edited by sapier on Thu Aug 23, 2012 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

durtective6
In-game: derplez or BlockFrog

by durtective6 » Post

How come I can't get meat from the cow but can get it in creative
I'm still here, last time I checked at least.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

In the IRC where some suggestion to rename the creeper to something like "Bomb boom" or "Bomboom".

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I assume this background of this suggestion was avoiding minecraft naming conflicts.
I like Bomboom.

but atm I'm still searching for a way to get animals mod running with latest minetest, I've removed lots of (possible) performance problems but still haven't really figured out how to fix it completly.
The solution I have found reduces problems but doesn't seem catch all possible cases.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I'd like to suggest a change in the movement AI: whatever direction a 3D animal is facing, it should only ever move in that direction. I say that because sometimes I see animals sliding around almost orthogonal to the direction they're facing, which I assume is leftover from when those animals were flat sprites. Still, it just looks wrong :-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

True, thats really bad I've been looking for ways to fix this for some time, sofar I do only see 2 solutions.

1) write a completly new movement gen with following characteristics
-movement is handled by speed only
-speed sets direction
-no smooth movement (speed has to be set to distinct values)
2) use more cpu power to update orientation more ofen
3) add autorotate feature to minetest

I'd prefere option 3 as this wouldn't add limitations to movement and of course needs far less changes in animals mod

But ...
atm I'm a little bitt anoyed by minetest, there are (at least) 4 major problems with it:
*requires LOTS of OpenGL memory for correct operation (256MB aren't enough with just a few mods)
*network communication is far to dependent on low latency
*client <-> server entity synchronisation ain't working and getting worse
*minetest seems to have a tripping point behaviour, as soon as theres any ressource shortage it runs havoc

Sorry if I've been a little bit harsh but I've been trying to find out why animals mod seems to introduce so much lag. I haven't got any further options of reducing cpu consumption of minetest (at least I don't see any). Suggestions are welcome

I'm releasing 1.3.2 as latest version with every option to reduce load taken available ATM. It's working quite well on my Phenom II X4 with 8GB RAM.
It won't work on a xen virtualized minetestserver with only 1GB RAM and 2 Phenom II cores at 3.2 GHz. Ok Xen increases jitter of network packets drasticaly so probably a real machine won't run into apocalypse behaviour.

tonyka

by tonyka » Post

Image inventory for the net ...

DownloadImage

license = WTFP

if you like, is yours ...

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Post

Code: Select all

17:18:24: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
17:18:24: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from 
17:18:24: ERROR[main]: C:\Documents and Settings\Tommy\My Documents\Minecraft Mods and stuff\Minetest\minetest-0.4.2-rc1-d38b465-win32\upgraded\bin\..\mods\minetest\animals_modpack-1.3.2\animals\init.lua:
17:18:24: ERROR[main]: ...mods\minetest\animals_modpack-1.3.2\animals\init.lua:115: module 'luatrace' not found:
17:18:24: ERROR[main]:     no field package.preload['luatrace']
17:18:24: ERROR[main]:     no file '.\luatrace.lua'
17:18:24: ERROR[main]:     no file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Tommy\My Documents\Minecraft Mods and stuff\Minetest\minetest-0.4.2-rc1-d38b465-win32\upgraded\bin\lua\luatrace.lua'
17:18:24: ERROR[main]:     no file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Tommy\My Documents\Minecraft Mods and stuff\Minetest\minetest-0.4.2-rc1-d38b465-win32\upgraded\bin\lua\luatrace\init.lua'
17:18:24: ERROR[main]:     no file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Tommy\My Documents\Minecraft Mods and stuff\Minetest\minetest-0.4.2-rc1-d38b465-win32\upgraded\bin\luatrace.lua'
17:18:24: ERROR[main]:     no file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Tommy\My Documents\Minecraft Mods and stuff\Minetest\minetest-0.4.2-rc1-d38b465-win32\upgraded\bin\luatrace\init.lua'
17:18:24: ERROR[main]:     no file '.\luatrace.dll'
17:18:24: ERROR[main]:     no file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Tommy\My Documents\Minecraft Mods and stuff\Minetest\minetest-0.4.2-rc1-d38b465-win32\upgraded\bin\luatrace.dll'
17:18:24: ERROR[main]:     no file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Tommy\My Documents\Minecraft Mods and stuff\Minetest\minetest-0.4.2-rc1-d38b465-win32\upgraded\bin\loadall.dll'
17:18:24: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
17:18:24: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'require'
17:18:24: ERROR[main]:     ...mods\minetest\animals_modpack-1.3.2\animals\init.lua:115: in function 'animals_init_module'
17:18:24: ERROR[main]:     ...mods\minetest\animals_modpack-1.3.2\animals\init.lua:120: in main chunk
17:18:24: ERROR[main]: =======END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
exactly, what is this "luatrace"?
Meow.

That is all.