[Mod] Moon realm [0.11.0] [moonrealm]

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

OK so you get the HL from ice and use that to terraform? and the LHC is the stuff i find in lakes.
API's coming along, tested 4 different realms on the same server yesterday.

Still to do is getting the airgen to work across all realms (right now there's a different one for each) and implementing some sort of alien vegetation for M-class realms. While I've managed to scramble teleportation to other realms, i've yet to implement alternate means of getting there (rocket ships, Trek-ish transporters, etc.). An asteroids realm would also be cool, but probably beyond my knowledge of noise and on-generated functions :/

Last edited by mauvebic on Sat Jul 13, 2013 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Those realms are beautiful good work!

The idea of HL is to get water from waterice and combine with old composted leaves / needles to form a nutrient liquid. Probably unrealistic but simple and creates a use for all those needles instead of the usual leafdecay.
Last edited by paramat on Sat Jul 13, 2013 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Thanks though im having trouble with floating chunks of land for the top two realms (Vulcan, Andoria), and for some reason, the andorian realm cuts off at a certain height and becomes flat :/ What I did for those realms is double and quadruple HIGRAD and LOGRAD. (Qonos has the same values for those as Titan, though HEXP and LEXP are 3 instead of 2).
Last edited by mauvebic on Sat Jul 13, 2013 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

HIGRAD and LOGRAD are the depth of upper and lower terrain, if you increase these beyond 48 the terrain will occasionally cut off because i limited the surface chunks to be 2 chunk layers thick = 160m (I limited it to keep generation time reasonable). Increasing those parameters also creates more floating islands in a larger volume. I encourage adjusting these but 48 is the maximum while avoiding cutoff.

HEXP and LEXP are the independant madness parameters, as you increase these 1 2 3 4 ... there are more floating islands in a larger volume but this time there is always a smooth transition top and bottom with no cutoff.

These parameters for upper and lower terrain are independant so you can have a vertical mix of terrains

As for travel between realms use a 1D vertical realm like meru or a space elevator. Or for a challenge build up. I was contemplating 2km per realm ... 1km ground 1km atmosphere.
Last edited by paramat on Sat Jul 13, 2013 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

So the cut-off problem could be solved by resetting the HIGRAD to default and just playing with LOGRAD instead. Ideally I'd like the terrain to be epic/crazy, just without the floating islands/nodes.

Im also thinking of changing how terraforming works and use machines like the airgen to give normal dirt (thinking of farming support).

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

This is looking to be a very impressive mod. To improve the alien worlds further, you could add special ores, strata, plants, and alien ruins to them. MirceaKitsune's structures mod could be very useful for generating alien ruins both above and below ground. The ancient ruins (probably at least 100,000 years old) could go from being very small to very large (think Metroid here.) Obviously, these ruins should look like they supported their own biospheres and atmospheres at one time (with the atmospheres gone now and the biospheres dead now, obviously.) To be fitting to where they are, the ruins should generally be eerie places to visit (the spirits of the aliens that lived in them thousands of years ago could still be haunting their ancient homes as ghosts.)

The lakes could slowly damage the player and be harder to swim through than water. They could also burst into flames should they come into contact with any lava.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

For complicated reasons (one of them, performance) i've decided to standardize alien resources - mostly liquids and crystals - and put in flags instead to determine which ones appear on which realms. Each realm still has it's own unique-looking ore nodes, but they give the same crystals. I just didn't see any point in re-defining the same liquids/crystals for each and every realm (most people run way more mods than I do).

Alien vegetation is definitely something i want to do.

As for ruins, i have two mods of my own to produce buildings (blueprints and meshes), but... it would be too heavy to combine it with this, with all the options set to true, its already slow on my newest rig :/ It would be preferable to offer maps.

Assuming I keep spacing realms at approximately 5K nodes (y axis), i can fit one more @ y= 25K, and several more at Y = -5K, -10K,-15K,-20K,-25K, -30K. I could also lower the default mapgen ground level to Y= -30K and use everything above.

Any suggestions for other planets?

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

mauvebic wrote:Ideally I'd like the terrain to be epic/crazy, just without the floating islands/nodes.
Not possible with this generation method. To avoid floaty stuff HEXP, LEXP < 2.
HEXP, LEXP can be decimal or below 1, for example 0.5 or 0.3 create a single mid altitude plateau with occasional spiky mountains or deep pits.
Last edited by paramat on Sat Jul 13, 2013 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

I'll have to play around with the settings then :-) haven't tried tinkering with the other variables yet.

These are the terraforming machines that converts all types of alien dust to dirt - destroy these, and you lose the dirt/dust (emphasizing scarcity/planning). I'll design a nice nodebox to go with it, and it already has a particle-spawner effect when placed :-)

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

Paramat, mauvebic, you two are mad geniuses! Eagerly looking forward to whatever comes next!
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

mauvebic mentioned an asteroid realm and i realised this could be simple 3D noise and quickly derived from another mod, there will be snow block comets too.
Last edited by paramat on Sun Jul 14, 2013 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Post

For teleportation to other realms you could use Stargates

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

paramat wrote:mauvebic mentioned an asteroid realm and i realised this could be simple 3D noise and quickly derived from another mod, there will be snow block comets too:
Would make for an awesome realm between Earth and Titan (Saturn) :-)
RealBadAngel wrote:For teleportation to other realms you could use Stargates
I would need a stand-alone version with no dependencies, though I can't seem to find a thread for it :/

Tellar

pretty much from the imagination since there's no source material - work in progress

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

ImageThe water looks like it's reflecting the land above... \o/

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Jordach wrote:The water looks like it's reflecting the land above... \o/
Optical illusion :p the bottom of the lake isn't loaded.

I think I noticed a bug - liquids don't flow for all airlike nodes, just for built-in 'air' - probably because there aren't many mods that make use of airlike.
Last edited by mauvebic on Sun Jul 14, 2013 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

mauvebic wrote:
RealBadAngel wrote:For teleportation to other realms you could use Stargates
I would need a stand-alone version with no dependencies, though I can't seem to find a thread for it :/
I found the stargate 0.3 version, Reuploaded it at it's own thread:

http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php ... 602#p99602

Edit: Almost forgot, you're both doing a great job :-)
Last edited by Topywo on Sun Jul 14, 2013 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

My issue vis-a-vis liquids not flowing in airlike nodes (that are not default air) has been tagged as a bug. Though, the solution doesn't seem obvious and I don't feel like stopping this for months waiting for a fix.

So, gonna have to find a way to use default air, that means re-working the airgen system.
Last edited by mauvebic on Sun Jul 14, 2013 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Not sure it can be called a bug. Perhaps a fix would be something similar to 'buildable to', how about 'flowable into' haha, where water can flow into an atmosphere node and replace it. However since very few people use atmosphere nodes (understandable as they are problematic) i cannot imagine core devs seeing it as priority work. Remember that atmosphere nodes are optional in this mod as one way around this.

Tellar, another beautiful realm, thanks for the screenshot.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

paramat wrote:Not sure it can be called a bug. Perhaps a fix would be something similar to 'buildable to', how about 'flowable into' haha, where water can flow into an atmosphere node and replace it. However since very few people use atmosphere nodes (understandable as they are problematic) i cannot imagine core devs seeing it as priority work. Remember that atmosphere nodes are optional in this mod as one way around this.

Tellar, another beautiful realm, thanks for the screenshot.
Yeah I don't really expect a fix to be forthcoming from the engine any time soon. But the problem with having the Atmosphere on is, the airgen doesn't give real air. So liquids don't flow inside domes either, you can't farm, you can't place doors, nothing that looks for nodename 'air' works. :(

I think my original take of having (default) air move towards atmosphere and the airgen produce more air at intervals might be best for the time being. That way residual air nodes (from realm generation) don't multiply and destroy the atmosphere.
Last edited by mauvebic on Sun Jul 14, 2013 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Certainly it is ideal to have default air inside bases, also there is the problem of abm meltdown after a single leak of life support air ... 2 things to fix.

Perhaps a new drawtype that allows neighbouring liquid to flow into it and replace it ... could also be used for nodes destroyed by water in floods.
Last edited by paramat on Tue Jul 16, 2013 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

my alternate method was a bust (too slow, went in circles) :-/
Trying something else.

[edit]
Victory. Turns out we needed to eliminate air nodes surrounded by atmosphere before doing air spread. That way unwanted loner air nodes don't expand exponentially.

Code: Select all

if AIRGEN then

minetest.register_craft({
         output = "mrealms:airgen",
         recipe = {
              {"default:steel_ingot", "mrealms:waterice", "default:steel_ingot"},
              {"mrealms:waterice", "mrealms:dilithium", "mrealms:waterice"},
              {"default:steel_ingot", "mrealms:waterice", "default:steel_ingot"},
         },
    })

minetest.register_node("mrealms:airgen", {
        description = "Air Generator",
        tiles = {"mrealms_airgen.png"},
        groups = {cracky=3},
        sounds = default.node_sound_stone_defaults(),
        paramtype = "light",

on_construct = function(pos)
            local env = minetest.env
            local x = pos.x
            local y = pos.y
            local z = pos.z
            for i = -1,1 do
            for j = -1,1 do
            for k = -1,1 do
                if not (i == 0 and j == 0 and k == 0) then
                    local nodename = env:get_node({x=x+i,y=y+j,z=z+k}).name
                    if minetest.get_item_group(nodename,'atmosphere') == 1 then --or nodename == "air" then
                        env:add_node({x=x+i,y=y+j,z=z+k},{name="air"})
                        --env:remove_node({x=x+i,y=y+j,z=z+k})
                        print ("[moonrealm] Added air node")
                    end
                end
            end
            end
            end
        end
    })
    -- Air spread abm, life support air and pine needles.

minetest.register_abm({
        nodenames = {"air"},
        neighbors = {"group:atmosphere"},--, "air"},
        interval = AIRINT,
        chance = 9,
        action = function(pos, node, active_object_count, active_object_count_wider)
            if pos.y < AIRFLOOR then return end -- below threshold
            local env = minetest.env
            if not env:find_node_near(pos, 1, {'air'}) then env:remove_node(pos) print ("[moonrealm] Air Dissipates")  return end
            local x = pos.x
            local y = pos.y
            local z = pos.z
            for i = -1,1 do
            for j = -1,1 do
            for k = -1,1 do
                if not (i == 0 and j == 0 and k == 0) then
                    local nodename = env:get_node({x=x+i,y=y+j,z=z+k}).name
                    if minetest.get_item_group(nodename,'atmosphere') == 1 then --or nodename == "air" then
                        env:add_node({x=x+i,y=y+j,z=z+k},{name="air"})
                        print ("[moonrealm] Air spreads ("..i.." "..j.." "..k..")")
                    end
                end
            end
            end
            end
        end
    })
end
Last edited by mauvebic on Mon Jul 15, 2013 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

Ajilon

I had to set water_level to -30K to fit more realms.
Last edited by mauvebic on Mon Jul 15, 2013 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

mauvebic wrote:Turns out we needed to eliminate air nodes surrounded by atmosphere before doing air spread. That way unwanted loner air nodes don't expand exponentially.
Thanks good idea, i'll try this myself.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

paramat wrote: Thanks good idea, i'll try this myself.
Turns out the 'bug' I discovered relates to a really old issue (#47) lol

new group photo:
Last edited by mauvebic on Tue Jul 16, 2013 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Ah ... so it looks like water may soon wash away 'buildable to' nodes ... good news.
Last edited by paramat on Tue Jul 16, 2013 21:11, edited 1 time in total.