[Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.4.0] [wield3d]

User avatar
Johnyknowhow
Member
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 15:17
In-game: Minetestian
Location: Washington, USA

by Johnyknowhow » Post

stu wrote:There is a deliberate delay (default 2 seconds) between checks for wielded item updates. That, copuled with gerneral server
latency is (most likely) the cause. I admit that it may seem a bit stange if you are playiing side-by-side.

However, if the wielded item is never changing then there is clearly a problem somewhere.
hmm, well I was using PilzAdam's player_textures mod, but I'll try it without the mod and see.
I lost interest in Minetest for a couple of years and... I am still not really paying much attention. I rarely browse these forums anymore but it's nice to see old faces.

obligatory fancy signature goes here

User avatar
Pitriss
Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 17:09
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss
Location: Czech republic, Bohumin

by Pitriss » Post

I have small problem with this mod.. I'm using this mod with knees & elbows model and when I start game then entity representing wielded item gets stuck in'ground.. It happened only when player is spawned somewjere. Any fix?
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

User avatar
stu
Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:51
GitHub: stujones11
Location: United Kingdom

by stu » Post

Pitriss wrote:I have small problem with this mod.. I'm using this mod with knees & elbows model and when I start game then entity representing wielded item gets stuck in'ground.. It happened only when player is spawned somewjere. Any fix?
I am really not sure why this still happens, minetest objects and attachments are extemely glitchy especially when spawning or teleporting, etc.

I have just pushed some changes to the split-limb branch that should make the attachment more reliable. Please let me know the results if you try this. If it helps at all then I will push these changes to the master branch.

Thanks.

User avatar
JPRuehmann
Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 21:40
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by JPRuehmann » Post

Hello
I´ve found an incompatibility
If I use U_Skins and 3D Armor together with Wield 3D the Armor preview is not working correctly only the skin without Armour layer is shown and in the third Person View the Armour Layer is not appearing to the Skin works normaly.
Hope that wil get fixed in one of the future releases.
I hope to use all three of that superb mobs together.
Thanks,
JPR

User avatar
stu
Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:51
GitHub: stujones11
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by stu » Post

JPRuehmann wrote:Hello
I´ve found an incompatibility
If I use U_Skins and 3D Armor together with Wield 3D the Armor preview is not working correctly only the skin without Armour layer is shown and in the third Person View the Armour Layer is not appearing to the Skin works normaly.
Hope that wil get fixed in one of the future releases.
I hope to use all three of that superb mobs together.
Thanks,
JPR
This is not a released mod and as such not really supported, this one is particularly hacky and will require some changes to the engine to do properly.
stu wrote:Note: Currently not compatible with minetest-3d_armor or any other mod that changes the default character model.

User avatar
stormchaser3000
Member
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 21:02
GitHub: stormchaser3000

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by stormchaser3000 » Post

um the attatchemt code is messed up again please revert the attatchment code to back before https://github.com/stujones11/wield3d/c ... 0133ad9b1a

User avatar
SAMIAMNOT
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 00:51
In-game: notanewbie
Location: Desert

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Looks interesting. I may add this to my game. When you say this mod will not work with mods that change the player model does that include mods that alter player texture?
I test mines.

User avatar
VanessaE
Moderator
Posts: 4511
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE
Location: Western NC
Contact:

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by VanessaE » Post

This mod does not appear to work anymore, even with base minetest_game. No errors or warnings in the log, but the wielded item never appears at the player model's hand (at least when I check with 3rd-person view).

Right after joining (singleplayer), there is an empty, selectable box on the ground, right where the player is standing for a moment - something that looks like it belongs to an entity.

The wieldview mod included in the 3d_armor modpack *does* work, however, as long as you don't mind having armor.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

User avatar
stu
Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:51
GitHub: stujones11
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by stu » Post

VanessaE wrote:This mod does not appear to work anymore, even with base minetest_game. No errors or warnings in the log, but the wielded item never appears at the player model's hand (at least when I check with 3rd-person view).

Right after joining (singleplayer), there is an empty, selectable box on the ground, right where the player is standing for a moment - something that looks like it belongs to an entity.

The wieldview mod included in the 3d_armor modpack *does* work, however, as long as you don't mind having armor.
Are you sure you are using the most recent version, it seems to be working for me and I've also noticed a couple of servers are using it. Note that since I converted it to b3d, that old bending knees model will probably no longer work with it.

The mod does not work with third person view because player attachments (things attached to the player) are not visible in that mode. I did complain about that some time ago but did not get very far.

User avatar
VanessaE
Moderator
Posts: 4511
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE
Location: Western NC
Contact:

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by VanessaE » Post

I git-cloned it before reporting that issue. I was not trying it with the bendy-knees model, rather just with upstream minetest_game.

The wieldview mod in the 3d_armor modpack *does* however show the wielded item in 3rd-person view. Is this a result of that mod using a custom player model or something?

As for the bendy-knees model, I really like that one, and hope you'll continue it.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

User avatar
stu
Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:51
GitHub: stujones11
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by stu » Post

VanessaE wrote:I git-cloned it before reporting that issue. I was not trying it with the bendy-knees model, rather just with upstream minetest_game.
Ok, I have not updated my game in a while so I will try that as soon as I get a chance.
VanessaE wrote:The wieldview mod in the 3d_armor modpack *does* however show the wielded item in 3rd-person view. Is this a result of that mod using a custom player model or something?
Yes, indeed it does supply a custom model, the armor and wielditem have separate layers, speak to ExeterDad for the finer details as he mastered the latest b3d version.
VanessaE wrote:As for the bendy-knees model, I really like that one, and hope you'll continue it.
I must admit it was kinda funky, I'll see if I can find the original blender file and export it as b3d :)

User avatar
stormchaser3000
Member
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 21:02
GitHub: stormchaser3000

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by stormchaser3000 » Post

how do i fix the issue where the wielded item seems to switch sides of the player when walking? this is with the latest git

TG-MyinaWD
Member
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 21:22
GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .
Location: Far Eden

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by TG-MyinaWD » Post

stormchaser3000 wrote:how do i fix the issue where the wielded item seems to switch sides of the player when walking? this is with the latest git
Also I notice on your server storm that when ppl fly around or move, lots of times the wielded block flys around back to back.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

User avatar
SAMIAMNOT
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 00:51
In-game: notanewbie
Location: Desert

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Okay, I finally took this mod for a spin, it's really cool, and I'm gonna put it in my game, but I just wanted to give a heads-up that block-y nodes (like dirt, wood and wooden planks) don't show up in the player's hand. Nonetheless, that is a small glitch, nothing major. Great mod stu! +1
I test mines.

User avatar
stu
Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:51
GitHub: stujones11
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by stu » Post

stormchaser3000 wrote:how do i fix the issue where the wielded item seems to switch sides of the player when walking? this is with the latest git
Alt. Tester wrote:Also I notice on your server storm that when ppl fly around or move, lots of times the wielded block flys around back to back.
This appears to be a client-side bug in the engine because it does not occur when I connect to a recent server build with an old 0.4.10 client.
SAMIAMNOT wrote:Okay, I finally took this mod for a spin, it's really cool, and I'm gonna put it in my game, but I just wanted to give a heads-up that block-y nodes (like dirt, wood and wooden planks) don't show up in the player's hand. Nonetheless, that is a small glitch, nothing major. Great mod stu! +1
Thanks, however 'blocky' nodes are showing up fine for me, in multiplayer mode at least.
I see they made some recent updates that are supposed to fix the TPV issue, I have not had time to test it yet but it looks like there are a few more bugs to work out anyway.

User avatar
SAMIAMNOT
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 00:51
In-game: notanewbie
Location: Desert

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.2.0] [wield3d]

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Oh, okay. I was in singleplayer.
I test mines.

User avatar
stu
Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:51
GitHub: stujones11
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.3.0] [wield3d]

by stu » Post

Mod update: version 0.3.0

Removed the now redundant 3d player model as minetest now uses b3d format by default.
Tweaked the attachment positions making items sit slightly lower in the hand.
Added support for the 3d_armor modpack, note that when used in conjunction with the wieldview mod, wield3d will only be used for nodes/items that are not covered by wieldview.

Known Issues

Item appears to switch hands when running.
Items occasionally disappear when viewing in 3rd person.

Note that both issues are minetest engine bugs and are not the fault of this mod.

User avatar
stu
Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:51
GitHub: stujones11
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.3.0] [wield3d]

by stu » Post

Important update.

Anyone using this mod will have noticed how the wield-items appear to switch hands as the player moves.
This has until now been attributed to a minetest bug, possibly related to https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2813

After several hours of compiling I eventually found the cause to be switching to b3d format for the player model. It is still not clear at this stage whether it is Irrlicht support for b3d which is broken or the blender b3d export plug-in.

The bottom line is, this is very unlikely to be fixed anytime soon.

For this reason I have put together a hotfix branch which reverts to using the old directx model from the original version, while retaining bugfixes etc from more recent versions. https://github.com/stujones11/wield3d/tree/xmodel

Please note that since it changes the player model, it cannot be used with any other mod that does so, eg 3d_armor.

User avatar
stu
Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:51
GitHub: stujones11
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.4.0] [wield3d]

by stu » Post

Version Update 0.4.0

The hand switching glitch has now, for the most part, been fixed by some recent updates to the player model, however, there may still be some slight flickering which now appears to be an upstream (irrlicht) issue. The latest version incorporates changes to the arm bone position so you will need a recent version of minetest_game to get the best results.

The codebase has also been completely re-factored, hopefully making the mod more efficient and less likely to leave stray entities, any that do, for whatever reason become detached can now be easily removed by punching them.

Since this is essentially a re-write I might have also made some new bugs in the process so please let me know if you find any, post them here or on the github issue tracker.

User avatar
Wuzzy
Member
Posts: 3938
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 15:01
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.4.0] [wield3d]

by Wuzzy » Post

Sadly, the hand flickering bug is preventing me from including this mod into MineClone 2. :-(

Do you have evidence that this is an Irrlicht bug? If so, can you please post an appropriate link to the Irrlicht bugtracker?

Besides, does this mod work if I just replace the .b3d format with .x? That would be great! If so, where do I find the .x files for which it worked?

Also, your mod does not seem to have any issues with 3d_armor, actually. Its just not compatible with wieldview for obvious reasons, but users can just disable this mod. This is a mod part of the 3D armor modpack but is 100% optional. Or have I somehow overlooked a different problem?

I appreciate your work on this mod very much, but I think this feature should eventually become an engine thing for the simple reason that changing the wielded item server-side is automatically laggy, even in singleplayer. But you probably know that already.
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

User avatar
stu
Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:51
GitHub: stujones11
Location: United Kingdom

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.4.0] [wield3d]

by stu » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Do you have evidence that this is an Irrlicht bug? If so, can you please post an appropriate link to the Irrlicht bugtracker?
Through trial and error, I have managed to isolate the problem to either Irrlicht, the blender exporter or the model itself, see my comments on #1447
Wuzzy wrote:Besides, does this mod work if I just replace the .b3d format with .x? That would be great! If so, where do I find the .x files for which it worked?
Unfortunately, it's not that simple as directx had its own issues that could only be worked around by using a highly customized model. It was because of this that the original version could not be used with 3d_armor or other mods that effect the model like the player animations mod. Earlier models can be found in the git history if you want to experiment with those.
Wuzzy wrote:Also, your mod does not seem to have any issues with 3d_armor, actually. Its just not compatible with wieldview for obvious reasons, but users can just disable this mod. This is a mod part of the 3D armor modpack but is 100% optional. Or have I somehow overlooked a different problem?
Indeed, the current version of this mod should be fully compatible with 3d_armor and can even be used in conjunction with the wieldview mod to only show the items wieldview does not, eg cubic nodes.
Wuzzy wrote:I appreciate your work on this mod very much, but I think this feature should eventually become an engine thing for the simple reason that changing the wielded item server-side is automatically laggy, even in singleplayer. But you probably know that already.
I may be able to fix the flickering on the .b3d model by adjusting the animation slightly to ensure the body bone never crosses the 0,0,0 position (where the flicker occurs). Unfortunately, this would still require the mod to switch player models but that is much less of a problem for a sub-game.

There is still another problem with the third person view modes. Notice that if you switch wield items to something that forces a rotation change, the item seems to disappear in third person view. This is an engine bug that I have been meaning to look into when I eventually get the time.

User avatar
bosapara
Member
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 08:49
GitHub: bosapara
Contact:

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.4.0] [wield3d]

by bosapara » Post

Is it possible to fix this mod? cuz it doesnt work with player anim

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12189&p=323251#p323251

User avatar
SAMIAMNOT
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 00:51
In-game: notanewbie
Location: Desert

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.4.0] [wield3d]

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

bosapara wrote:Is it possible to fix this mod? cuz it doesnt work with player anim

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12189&p=323251#p323251
It must've been fixed, because it's working for me. (I'm on the latest PlayerAnim and Minetest 0.4.17.1) Block-y nodes still don't show up, though...
I test mines.

User avatar
bosapara
Member
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 08:49
GitHub: bosapara
Contact:

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.4.0] [wield3d]

by bosapara » Post

SAMIAMNOT wrote:
bosapara wrote:Is it possible to fix this mod? cuz it doesnt work with player anim

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12189&p=323251#p323251
It must've been fixed, because it's working for me. (I'm on the latest PlayerAnim and Minetest 0.4.17.1) Block-y nodes still don't show up, though...
Forgot to write, i found solution.

PS At the moment I dont use playeranim, a few lagy

Chiantos
Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 09:04

Re: [Mod] 3d visible wielded items [0.4.0] [wield3d]

by Chiantos » Post

Deleted message
Last edited by Chiantos on Mon Sep 30, 2019 06:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], VanessaE and 9 guests