22%

Total votes: 127

ThatGraemeGuy
GitHub: thatgraemeguy
IRC: ThatGraemeGuy
In-game: thatgraemeguy

Re: [Mod] Bees and beekeeper [2.0] [bees]

by ThatGraemeGuy » Post

Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't figure out how to use any of these things? Like I find wild hives in trees, how do I go from there to building a few hives? Is there a guide? I want to place some hives nears flowers to help them grow quicker.

vitalie
GitHub: ciubotaru

by vitalie » Post

Bas080 wrote:Do you have suggestions for improving this mod?
Let me share my variation of the bees mod. Comments welcome.

Changes:
  • ABM spawning of new hives reduced. Now new wild hives appear mostly by swarming (see below).
  • Swarming introduced. Now, if an existing hive run out of space to store honey, a new wild hive appears nearby.
  • Honey/comb generation now depends not just on the number of flowers around, but also on the number of other hives.
  • More informative infotext (displays the number of full frames + current progress)
  • More realistic extractor textures and nodebox (see screenshot).
  • Pollination removed to prevent circular dependency (more bees -> more flowers -> more bees).
  • Setting variables to control swarming conditions, growth rate etc.
  • Compatibility with intllib (translations welcome).
  • Other changes (see readme.txt).
Download: https://github.com/ciubotaru/bees/archive/unstable.zip
GitHub: https://github.com/ciubotaru/bees (all changes are currently in 'unstable' branch)
License: GPL 3.0 or later

Attachments
2016-05-06-192305_1280x1024_scrot.png
2016-05-06-192305_1280x1024_scrot.png (184.14 KiB) Viewed 1263 times

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

I found my first hive without even looking for it!
Attachments
Hive.png
Hive.png (427.04 KiB) Viewed 1263 times

rpgsniper2452
GitHub: rpgsniper2452
IRC: rpgsniper2452
In-game: rpgsniper2452

by rpgsniper2452 » Post

I have noticed there is a problem with this mod. When I place the empty honey frames into the artificial hive and then insert the queen bee the game crashes and it does not display any text. Maybe you can see how to fix this problem?

vitalie

by vitalie » Post

rpgsniper2452 wrote:I have noticed there is a problem with this mod. When I place the empty honey frames into the artificial hive and then insert the queen bee the game crashes and it does not display any text. Maybe you can see how to fix this problem?
Try my version of the mod.

cy

by cy » Post

vitalie wrote:Pollination removed to prevent circular dependency (more bees -> more flowers -> more bees).
Y'know that's how pollination works, right?

What you ought to do is just limit how many bees there can be. bees limited -> same rate of flowers -> no positive reinforcement.

vitalie

by vitalie » Post

cy wrote:
vitalie wrote:Pollination removed to prevent circular dependency (more bees -> more flowers -> more bees).
Y'know that's how pollination works, right?

What you ought to do is just limit how many bees there can be. bees limited -> same rate of flowers -> no positive reinforcement.
Why go halfway only? If you know how pollination work, you can make a realistic model. Something like this might do. Care to prepare a patch?

P.S.: It's just a game. It doesn't have to be realistic.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

The mod is really awesome! I like beehives models and bees.
BBmine wrote:I found my first hive without even looking for it!
Beehives often encounter because i tested it.

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

As my servers grew the bees mod made them unusably slow with excessive ABM errors. I recently upgraded the bees mod on my server to vitalie's 3.0-dev, which does not have this problem. Stuff is transitioning over as you can't get bees from pre-existing beehives but you can get the honey and chop them down. Also, there seems to be a larger flower requirement than before.

However, I ran into a crash last night:

Runtime error from mod 'bees' in callback node_on_timer(): (PATH REMOVED)/games/minetest_game/mods/bees/init.lua:180: attempt to index global 'chosen_place' (a nil value)
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

redblade7 wrote:As my servers grew the bees mod made them unusably slow with excessive ABM errors. I recently upgraded the bees mod on my server to vitalie's 3.0-dev, which does not have this problem. Stuff is transitioning over as you can't get bees from pre-existing beehives but you can get the honey and chop them down. Also, there seems to be a larger flower requirement than before.

However, I ran into a crash last night:

Runtime error from mod 'bees' in callback node_on_timer(): (PATH REMOVED)/games/minetest_game/mods/bees/init.lua:180: attempt to index global 'chosen_place' (a nil value)
Is anyone involved in this project anymore? I'm desperate, my servers are crashing every day with that error!
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

line 180 reads as

Code: Select all

bees.fill_new_wild_hive(chosen_place.pos)
I think it should be

Code: Select all

bees.fill_new_wild_hive(chosen_places.pos)

I didn't test this at all, but I didn't see the variable chosen_place existing in code anywhere.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

I will give that a try Nathan, thank you so much.

I also noticed a problem where chopping a hive will occasionally give you an unknown item "wax"
This is probably because of line 64:
inv:add_item('main', ItemStack('wax')) --20% chance
should probably be 'bees:wax'

But regardless I have changed that to 'bees:colony' since that's what everyone always needs more of :)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

On Creative Gardens today I found a crash with:
2018-04-21 13:07:12: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'bees' in callback node_on_timer(): Invalid position (expected table got nil).
2018-04-21 13:07:12: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-04-21 13:07:12: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'get_node'
2018-04-21 13:07:12: ERROR[Main]: (PATH REMOVED)/games/minetest_game/mods/bees/init.lua:189: in function 'fill_new_wild_hive'
2018-04-21 13:07:12: ERROR[Main]: (PATH REMOVED)/games/minetest_game/mods/bees/init.lua:182: in function 'swarming'
2018-04-21 13:07:12: ERROR[Main]: (PATH REMOVED)/games/minetest_game/mods/bees/init.lua:560: in function (PATH REMOVED)/games/minetest_game/mods/bees/init.lua:511>
2018-04-21 13:07:12: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-04-21 13:07:12: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'get_node'
2018-04-21 13:07:12: ERROR[Main]: (PATH REMOVED)/games/minetest_game/mods/bees/init.lua:189: in function 'fill_new_wild_hive'
2018-04-21 13:07:12: ERROR[Main]: (PATH REMOVED)/games/minetest_game/mods/bees/init.lua:182: in function 'swarming'
2018-04-21 13:07:12: ERROR[Main]: (PATH REMOVED)/games/minetest_game/mods/bees/init.lua:560: in function (PATH REMOVED)/games/minetest_game/mods/bees/init.lua:511>
182 is the line I changed per the suggestion Nathan gave me.
189 is: minetest.get_node(pos).param2 = 0
560 is: bees.swarming(pos)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

I am extremely desperate. My servers are going bonkers daily and I don't know what to do about it. I had no idea the later bees mod was not maintained. I'm commenting this and that out and nothing's working. I am very desperate and willing to work with someone. If I have to I'd like to replace all bee items with tree stumps or something. Please help me.

Darkwar
GitHub: Darkwar
IRC: Darkwar
In-game: cooljar10

by Darkwar » Post

can u fix the glitch where every time a player dies what every in there hand it stays in the inevtory and there bones

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

LDH discovered a way to phase out the bees mod. With additional contributions by myself, every beehive is replaced with a tree stump. Other items are replaced by such things as tree stumps and sticks. It depends on mobs_animal as some items are replaced with the stable and fast bees from there (which has its own hives and honey) or with honey blocks also found in mobs_animal.

https://github.com/TooDumbForAName/nobees

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

[Mod] Bees and beekeeper [2.3] [bees]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Updated to version 2.3:

- protection check when opening artificial/industrial hives
- protection check when removing items from extractor
- Intllib support (template added)
- Wild hives are removed if found floating in mid air
- Change compatibility abm to lbm
- Change from WTFPL to MIT license
- Make wild hive abm less intensive (thanks VanessaE)
- Added 9x Lucky Blocks
- Smokers have 200 uses before breaking

Link: https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/bees

lilo

by lilo » Post

Hi,

I just test the version 2.3 and wonder if it is possible to greatly reduce the appearance of wild bee nests?
I currently have a nest on every third tree.

Greetings

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

lilo: wild hives should only appear every 40 or so blocks apart on a low hanging tree with flowers in the area below, are you sure that you are using the latest version ?

lilo

by lilo » Post

Yes it is the version 2.3 but I use it with ethereal. Maybe it was just coincidence that so many bee nests were created. I'm going to walk around a little bit on the map to investigate this more closely.

Merak

by Merak » Post

Using the Bas80 version,
I occasionally find lone bees.
I get no wild beehives. I tried putting flowers all around a stand of apple trees. I sometimes see bee swarms.

I changed the register_abm() to create a wild hive with a chance of 1 once a minute, every time there is not another wild hive within 4 nodes. Still no hives.

Merak

by Merak » Post

The link to the video on how to make honey is gone. Would someone write a description or repost the video link?

neumond
GitHub: neumond

by neumond » Post

This ABM spawning hives is broken. If you create flat world almost all possible spawn places do not satisfy condition Z mod 5 == 0. Another thing is that you have to wait 800 game second to get 1/10 chance of spawning. Almost anyone would expect exploring world to find hives faster, but that doesn't work that way. To reliably get hives you'll have to find area with trees and flowers, enable debug output, find places with X and Y divisible by 40 and place leaves layer on exact Z level divisible by 5, then wait 800 seconds up to 20 times (~4.5 hours). This is boring and very unobvious.

captenfalkonion
In-game: captefalkonion

by captenfalkonion » Post

If i put the filled hive frames inside the honey extractor then nothing happens do i make something wrong?
Should i do something else too?
Earlier it worked

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@neumond, the bee's mod isn't really meant to be run on flat mapgens as it requires height and biome differences to spawn the actual hive, so on a normal v7 style world it will spawn properly and in multiples.