17%
the honey production that requires flowers nearby
22%

Total votes: 127

HighPopes
GitHub: HighPopes

Re: [Mod] Bees and beekeeper [2.0] [bees]

by HighPopes » Post

Does this mod work on mobile? Minetest 5.3? I saw a pull request involving a flora to flower change or something.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Yes, should work fine.

HighPopes

by HighPopes » Post

I looked at the code. It takes 1600 seconds to spawn a hive and there's a 20 percent chance of it happening. That's along time to stand near a tree.

There's a part in the spawning abm that says neighbors = {''} switched that to neighbors = nil. I don't know if minetest looks at air blocks as an empty string. I think changing it got one to spawn but that 20 percent chance has me quite confused.

I got me some bees and can now easily get the dye I need for techage.
Well, hopefully get them easily bees are slow.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

You aren't really meant to wait for a hive to spawn but stumble across one already spawned in the world like irl, in a fresh world they do appear when you explore the map.

HighPopes

by HighPopes » Post

Alright if it does work, I reverted the code back to having {''}. I'm impatent so I'm keeping my time changes: 600s and 10%.
I'm making a wild hive farm in the ocean. With moretrees and cooltrees installed the grassland is now treeland. A poor place for an organized hive farm.
Thankfully this mod doesn't biome or tree lock the bees. It just needs leaves, flowers and a 40 block distance between hives.

I changed the flower spreading code to allow for default:dirt floor as I still haven't been able to find a mod that lets you harvest and place grass / ground blocks. That would be a great mod... Not trying to convience anyone just saying. ;)

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

If you add runs' temperate rainforest [rainf] from the WIP mods, he's moved most of the trees. The only trees in the grasslands are bamboo. Which chop out extremely easily.

[EDIT]
Oh, I was thinking [add_trees], not [moretrees]. Looks like we discontinued using [moretrees] July 2019, but didn't note why. There was some reason...
[/EDIT]

HighPopes

by HighPopes » Post

I've got rainf on a world and there are a lot less trees. I was wondering what happened. More room for the flowers.

runs

by runs » Post

HighPopes wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 03:51
I've got rainf on a world and there are a lot less trees. I was wondering what happened. More room for the flowers.
WIP. I will add more trees to that biome. I am working on a plum tree right now.

errant

by errant » Post

I'm playing on a server where the admin added this mod some time ago, but no one has ever found any bees. When I stand on flat ground, it says my y position is a decimal (example: 20.5). I'm not aware of the mapgen version the admin used.

According to below post, X and Y must be divisible by 40. That means bees will never spawn on the server correct?
neumond wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 02:35
This ABM spawning hives is broken. If you create flat world almost all possible spawn places do not satisfy condition Z mod 5 == 0. Another thing is that you have to wait 800 game second to get 1/10 chance of spawning. Almost anyone would expect exploring world to find hives faster, but that doesn't work that way. To reliably get hives you'll have to find area with trees and flowers, enable debug output, find places with X and Y divisible by 40 and place leaves layer on exact Z level divisible by 5, then wait 800 seconds up to 20 times (~4.5 hours). This is boring and very unobvious.

TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Hive generation changed to 20 blocks apart and every 3 blocks high
- Hive generation is every 5 minutes with a 1 in 4 chance
- Hives only spawn if no other competing hives are within a 25 block radius

This should make more hives spawn on flat or normal mapgens with trees and flowers nearby.

https://content.minetest.net/packages/TenPlus1/bees/

AmyMoriyama
GitHub: AmyMoriyama

by AmyMoriyama » Post

With the honey video broken, how do you make honey?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Craft an extractor and place filled hive frames inside with empty bottles, it will fill them with honey.

AmyMoriyama
GitHub: AmyMoriyama

by AmyMoriyama » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 05:44
Craft an extractor and place filled hive frames inside with empty bottles, it will fill them with honey.
How do I get filled hive frames?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Find a naturally occurring beehive, get queen from hive, craft an artificial or industrial beehive and craft empty racks to go inside, place queen inside, surround with flowers for bee's to pollinate and make honey from, once hive racks are full craft the extractor to place filled racks inside with empty bottles to make bottled honey :)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

There's a problem with wild hives hanging from (some) tree leaves: You can walk through leaves of many trees - and that makes them unsuitable for the engine's attached_node mechanism. The result is that a wild hive hanging from leaves that can be walked through will disappear without comment when someone places a flower next to it (=triggers an update by digging or placing a node next to it).

A quick fix may be to remove the attached_node group if such leaves are present on a server, but it's not very satisfying in the long run. Sadly I don't have a good solution.
A list of my mods can be found here.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@Sokomine - I have removed the {attached_node} group from the wild beehive so that placing/digging nearby will not affect the hive, but the Abm still contains the check to make sure it isn't floating in mid-air and will remove the hive if no tree surrounds it (dead hive).

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Thanks for the quick fix, TenPlus1! I'm sure we can live with hives not falling immediately if they notice there's nothing to hang from.
A list of my mods can be found here.