by paramat » Post

*** Mod deleted and no longer available ***

This mod was developed from 'desire path' mod by Casimir
viewtopic.php?id=3390

Footprints appear in:
Dirt, dirt with grass, dirt with dry grass, dirt with snow,
sand, desert sand, silver sand,
snow, snowblock,.

This could be used for tracking players, adding interesting new gameplay.

Farming mod wheat is flattened so you can make crop circles.

Compacting:
Repeated walking over dirt, dirt with grass or dirt with dry grass has a chance of wearing and compacting the node to trail:trail, a path node of hard compacted dirt.
Repeated walking over snowblock has a chance of compacting it to ice.

Erosion:
An ABM slowly returns walked nodes to their natural state (except ice and wheat). trail:trail returns to default:dirt.
This ABM can be tuned to adjust the difficulty of tracking players.

This mod now uses default textures and overlays so should be usable with texture packs as long as the pack includes default_footprint.png.

Parameter FUNCYC can be increased to reduce processing and/or to make footprints not appear on every walked node. There are also parameters to control compacting and erosion behaviours.
Last edited by paramat on Mon Jun 22, 2020 23:46, edited 13 times in total.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Version 0.1.1

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

This sounds like something that could be added to the base game. Maybe you could make a pull request, as a feature like this could add charm to Minetest?

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

I lie this, makes the surroundings more dynamic.

Suggestion for implementation: you could make a footstep node that is placed on-top of node. The texture could be transparent. Pros would be not having to register every node that can be footstepped thus making it easier to support many nodes and implement different types of footsteps.

This mod could lead to the broom mod. Which could lead to the flying broom mod. :P

Swimming sound, why is it not in default?
Last edited by Bas080 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Inocudom, there is or was a default Minetest feature that created footprints in grass only, the texture for it is in the default texture pack, i was very happy to see this but also curious why this feature seems to have been dropped and does not support other biomes. Perhaps i will ask core devs when they are less busy. Since footprints have already been in core there is perhaps a good chance they will be updated and re-introduce

Next i'm going to try placing footprint nodes with random rotation to break up those lines of squares.

EDIT Rotation works but breaks texture tiling ...
Last edited by paramat on Mon Aug 05, 2013 02:11, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

paramat wrote:Inocudom, there is or was a default Minetest feature that created footprints in grass only, the texture for it is in the default texture pack, i was very happy to see this but also curious why this feature seems to have been dropped and does not support other biomes. Perhaps i will ask core devs when they are less busy. Since footprints have already been in core there is perhaps a good chance they will be updated and re-introduced.

Next i'm going to try placing footprint nodes with random rotation to break up those lines of squares.
Footprint nodes would be a better idea, but you will want them to be buildable_too and allow the player to walk through them.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Version 0.1.1 is now at github.

The ability to track other players can be tuned by varying the erosion speed of the footprints.
Footprint nodes drop normal nodes when dug, so you can dig your tracks to hide them.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Water sounds are playing globally, I think changing the sound code from this

Code: Select all

on_construct = function(pos)
                if math.random(1, 2) == 1 then
                        minetest.sound_play("trail_water_bubbles", {gain = 0.2})
                end
        end,
to this

on_construct = function(pos)
                if math.random(1, 2) == 1 then
                        minetest.sound_play("trail_water_bubbles", {gain = 0.2, pos=pos})
                end
        end,

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

LOL thanks will fix soon.
Last edited by paramat on Tue Aug 06, 2013 03:40, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Version 0.1.2
-------------
* Water sounds played positionally not globally duh.
* Water sounds are now mono, edited, improved and correct format (ogg mono 44.1khz 96kbps).

Github also updated.

This was actually my first ever mod, i spent a long time tuning the various ground detection methods to make it as sensitive as possible ... however, continuous jumping leaves almost no footprints, the drawback being motion sickness. This could be useful in a multiplayer situation to avoid being tracked.
Last edited by paramat on Tue Aug 06, 2013 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

You could not make footsteps when sneaking. See here.

if player:get_player_control().sneak then
return
end

fairiestoy

by fairiestoy » Post

I encountered a little problem. If you try to work on a dirt node with the hoe, it doesnt work as long as footprints are on it. Maybe redefine the hoe that it works with footprint dirt too :3
Interesting about new things is, to figure out how it works ...

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Version 0.2.0 with semi-permanent trails of compacted dirt, permanent ice paths of compacted snow and flattened wheat / crop circle nodebox. First post has details and new screenshots.
Casimir wrote:You could not make footsteps when sneaking.
Too easy :) only flying leaves no trace.
fairiestoy wrote:I encountered a little problem. If you try to work on a dirt node with the hoe, it doesnt work as long as footprints are on it. Maybe redefine the hoe that it works with footprint dirt too :3
Will ponder, in the meantime you can always dig it and replace it then hoe it, which is more work but then you did walk over it ;]
Last edited by paramat on Sun Sep 15, 2013 04:12, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Very nice! Does this create a use for walked grass in default (is it still in there?)
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Ah it doesn't use that default node because the default texture is of 2 human-shaped footprints, not a square as it should be. Also, it's safer to use my own node in case the default one dissappears since it's depreciated.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

fairiestoy, thanks for the pull request and solution for the hoe problem. I'm not good with github and the last time i merged a pull request into one of my mods i then later got into difficulties with 'fast forward errors' and had to delete the repo. Can anyone explain what i need to do to avoid this happenieng again? What is necessary to do after merging a pull request?

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

paramat wrote:fairiestoy, thanks for the pull request and solution for the hoe problem. I'm not good with github and the last time i merged a pull request into one of my mods i then later got into difficulties with 'fast forward errors' and had to delete the repo. Can anyone explain what i need to do to avoid this happenieng again? What is necessary to do after merging a pull request?
You need to do "git pull" before you can commit again. It will pull in the changes from the github repository.
Back from the dead!

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Ah i suspected so, thanks Evergreen.

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Immersive sounds mod has swimming sounds, plus a whole bunch of other water sounds. Gasping when coming out of the water, splashing when entering or leaving water, sloshing when treading water, bubble sounds when underwater, and waves when standing along the shore. Also waterfall sounds for running water.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Mon Sep 16, 2013 01:55, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Yeah my swimming sounds are edited from your ambience mod ;}

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Version 0.2.1 released with farming mod compatibility, thanks to fairiestoy.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

wtf is wrong with you? why wouldnt you use ^ to combine your footprint with the underlying texture but instead copy the whole texture, therefore making the usage of this mod with any other tp impossible.
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

This is a neat mod!
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Iqualfragile wrote:wtf is wrong with you?
Lots probably :)
The footprints are colour matched to the texture pack they are derived from, a universal footprint that is not matched would look bad in most packs. The idea is to make your own footprint textures for the textures you use.
Also, double textures that use ^ are more processing-heavy, i would like to see grass_side become a standard single texture.
You can use this mod with my texture pack :)
Last edited by paramat on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:48, edited 1 time in total.

mimilus
GitHub: mimilus
IRC: Mimilus

by mimilus » Post

I've made a little modification on your texture for trail_trailside and trail_trailtop

http://imgur.com/ubM0wL8
Last edited by mimilus on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
minetest 0.4.9
Ubuntu 12.04