[Mod] Snow, rain, clouds (with sound) [snowdrift]

Astrobe

Re: [Mod] Snow, rain, clouds (with sound) [snowdrift]

by Astrobe » Mon Sep 03, 2018 17:11

It stops at this height (actually this is configurable IIRC) in order to avoid the "rain under water" problem. AFAIK, this problem exists because particles do not collide with water.

acidzebra

by acidzebra » Mon Sep 03, 2018 19:57

kestral wrote:https://github.com/kestral246/snowdrift

[...]a list of nearest biome names.

I had a peek at your debug.lua as I'm very interested in biome management; neat! Is there no other way than a manual table to grab a list of active biomes at runtime? Asking because I'm trying to mix multiple mod biomes in a somewhat harmonious way and it would be sweet if I could do a get_registered_biomes call or something like it.

kestral

GitHub: kestral246

by kestral » Tue Sep 04, 2018 22:22

5.0.0 has minetest.get_biome_data(pos) will give the single closest biome, but I don't know of any other way with 0.4.x.

I found that my scheme didn't correlate 100% with the actual terrain, so for debugging I found it more useful to list all the nearest biomes within a configurable threshhold. I've seen up to four biomes listed with my code, where four biomes meet at a point in the biome map.

I think it was a reference, somewhere in the 21 pages of the mapgen thread, that led me to this scheme. Maybe someone there knows of a better way to do this.

https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15272

grecaandreievich

by grecaandreievich » Fri Dec 14, 2018 23:53

Hey, nice mod, the rain sound makes the game more relaxing. :D
Hola, papu.

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 06:10

Earlier i wrote:
> I could send particle spawners instead and spawn 2 raindrops per light-tested position,

I tried this, sending particle spawners instead of individual particles, but this seemed to cause problems, almost as if the rate of sending particle spawners is limited and i had passed that limit. So for now it remains as individual particles, it's the best i can do at the moment. It's a good idea to keep particle count as low as you can considering how this works.

rseguy

In-game: Saphogames

by rseguy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 19:38

Is it just happening over a region or the whole map at once? Is the change of weather affecting the entire map or just a specefic region

rseguy

In-game: Saphogames

by rseguy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 21:58

Also, isn't there a possible way to add a semi transparent image directly in the HUD (For snow and sandstorms) that would slightly reduce the view of the player while he is outside in a storm. Could help the performance by reducing the number of particules to generate and slowly make the image more "opaque" on the side

malah

by malah » Thu Jan 24, 2019 20:50

is it possible to disable this mod above a certain height?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16015&p=340496#p340496
malah wrote:Is it possible to add a option to disable the skybox? I think I have some mod conflicting with it (snowdrift)
Shara wrote:A better approach would be if the mods were compatible. If the issue is weather, do you need weather to be active once you are in space?
paramat wrote:Yes that would be the responsibility of snowdrift to not set the skybox above a certain y.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 22:34

> Is the change of weather affecting the entire map or just a specefic region

I hadn't considered that. Currenlty, when it rains/snows, all players see rain/snow as long as they are in areas that allow that rain/snow.
It would be better to use noise to define areas where preceipitation is happening.

> isn't there a possible way to add a semi transparent image directly in the HUD (For snow and sandstorms) that would slightly reduce the view of the player while he is outside in a storm

There is and this has been experimented with 'elsewhere', but it turns out using ground-level cloud (inside which fog is seen) is far more effective at doing this. A semi-transparent screen overlay looks quite bad.

> is it possible to disable this mod above a certain height?

I intend to do that, it was sloppy of me to leave that out.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 01:46

Updated. Found and fixed several issues.
Commit message is:

Add y limits for skybox effects, set to deep ocean and cloud level, independent of the set water level where particles and sounds stop.
Add 'skybox' table to track player sky status to attempt to avoid turning off skyboxes set by other mods, therefore remove randomised and lazy setting of skybox, now happens within 0.5s.
For now, remove predicted player position due to issues, to be re-added later acting horizontally only.

SpaghettiToastBook

In-game: STB

by SpaghettiToastBook » Thu Jan 31, 2019 07:09

Could you make it so that lightning only strikes while it's raining if sofar's lightning mod is present?
Last edited by SpaghettiToastBook on Fri Feb 01, 2019 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 23:31

It's impractical to create that sort of deep compatibility with other weather mods as there are so many and there's no way to choose which to be compatible with. It may also be impossible to be compatible with that mod.
Instead it would be better if i added lightning to this mod.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:11

paramat wrote:It's impractical to create that sort of deep compatibility with other weather mods as there are so many and there's no way to choose which to be compatible with. It may also be impossible to be compatible with that mod.
Instead it would be better if i added lightning to this mod.

Apart from this, lightning actually needs storm clouds and not necessarily rain to strike.
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Fri Feb 01, 2019 17:15

Paramat, Sofar's lightning mod has an issue in this context: it picks a player at random for the lightning strike, without regard to the local weather conditions. You'll have to modify it so that the strike() function takes a position parameter (around where to strike).

SpaghettiToastBook

In-game: STB

by SpaghettiToastBook » Fri Feb 01, 2019 18:56

Astrobe wrote:Paramat, Sofar's lightning mod has an issue in this context: it picks a player at random for the lightning strike, without regard to the local weather conditions. You'll have to modify it so that the strike() function takes a position parameter (around where to strike).

The strike function does take a position argument.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Fri Feb 01, 2019 20:37

Ah! Oh! I worked from half-erased memory.

strike() does indeed take an argument, but:
- if you don't give one, it will pick around a random player but (usually) won't strike them directly,
- if you do give one, it will strike exactly at that position, no randomization (so static players are guarantied to get fried)

What I did is: move the three lines at the end of the if pos then after the end, so that the position is randomized in both cases.

Another thing to note is that the node doesn't perform protection checks.

Previous

Return to Mod Releases