[Mod] Pyramids [0.4.2 beta] [pyramids]

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Awesome update. Is it possible to increase the frequency of them by changing a value like in version .2?
if math.random(0,18) < 12 then return end

Maybe you could make this a setting, or at least put a comment in the lua file on how to do it, cuz I'm going to keep asking you every time there's a new release :)

I might ask sapier for camels. They would go awesome with this mod.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Thu Sep 26, 2013 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

Neuromancer wrote:Awesome update. Is it possible to increase the frequency of them by changing a value like in version .2?
if math.random(0,18) < 12 then return end

Maybe you could make this a setting, or at least put a comment in the lua file on how to do it, cuz I'm going to keep asking you every time there's a new release :)

I might ask sapier for camels. They would go awesome with this mod.
no, that wouldnt work. the spawning is now more complex, easiest way to change the rate are these 3 values:

1st: change the number of trys to find a desertsand node in desert biomes #L125
2nd: change the minimum distance of pyramids (52 nodes is default) #L151
3rd: change percent value how many possible pyramids are created (64% is default) #153

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This crash happened today (using v0.3 of the mod, via Minetest from git pulled one or two days ago):

12:18:01: ERROR[EmergeThread0]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: LuaError: error: ...netest/worlds/Survival_World/worldmods/pyramids/init.lua:102: attempt to index a nil value

As a workaround, I changed line 102 to read:

Code: Select all

while (minetest.get_node_or_nil(p2) and (minetest.get_node_or_nil(p2).name == "air")) do
This seems to have stabilized things; your coding style may vary.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I flew again with my UFO to the several deserts until I found a new 0.3 pyramid. Yeah, this time it was a bit different. :)
Spoiler

I liked the new decorational nodes you introduced. I don’t like it that you called them just “Sandstone”, too. You should give them different names in order to keep them apart. Like “Sandstone with <whatever> hieroglyph”.

I found a diamond pickaxe, yeah!
And this time, I mined almost the entire pyramid since sandstone bricks are expensive. It seems they are also expensive to mine, it totally cost me two mese and the diamond pickaxe, but that was worth it. I also found and destroyed the mummy spawner. :)

Oh, and before I forget again: The mummy growl is just awesome. :D
And it is great to see progress on this mod. :-)

I also recently released the Treasurer mod and I have come to the conclusion that this a perfect mod to write a treasure spawning mod (TSM) for! If you don’t understand: Treasurer is a mod to help other mods (the TSMs) to spawn treasures from a pool where mods (treasure registration mods) can register treasures into. Read more in the thread if you’re interested.

My first idea was to spawn treasures into the chests not using the default few ones but by using Treasurer.

The problem is, I thought it would be never neccessary to change existing mods if one wants to write a TSM. But for this case, how would it know where the Pyramid mod has just spawned the chests or even where the pyramid generated? I fear it can’t without changing the Pyramid mod. Bummer.

So I had to change my plans.

My new idea was to turn Pyramids itself into a treasure spawning mod. Instead of only spawning items from default, it spawns whatever items are available from the treasure pool. But this would generate a dependency to Treasurer. So my newer idea is to let the Pyramids fall back to its default treasures it already has if Treasurer is not found. If Treasurer is found, it calls the treasurer.select_random_treasures to ask it for some random high-level treasures and put these instead into the chests. This way, Treasurer would just be an optional dependency. :-)

How do you like my idea? Do you want the Pyramids mod to become a TSM?

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Update! Version 0.4 released

Changelog:
- added something like "lava-traps"
- fixed reported error
- fixed floating spawner mummie of destroyed pyramids

--
VanessaE wrote:This crash happened today (using v0.3 of the mod, via Minetest from git pulled one or two days ago):
-snip-
Thanks for reporting, its fixed now
Wuzzy wrote: I don’t like it that you called them just “Sandstone”, too. You should give them different names in order to keep them apart.
Ah, forgot to add the variable, its fixed now

To your tresure idea: I'm not a fan of dependencies, but your mod looks fine so far, so i will think about it. But dont expect to much ;)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

1.: On Gameplay
Spoiler
Just to reiterate it, this is a damn, damn spoiler.
Spoiler
I do not like the lava trap, it’s kinda lame. Firstly, there are so many broken stones that is becomes obvious soon. One “bad” stone would probably have been enough. Secondly, there is not much of the floor left after it has been successfully robbed, even if no stone has been taken. Looks kinda strange. But this could also be just a matter of taste. Thirdly, the falling stones can be dug with a shovel. (I guess this is an easy fix) Lastly, and most important, it causes the mummies to fall into the lava sometimes, so the pyramid kind of defeats itself. :D

I consider the mummies are kind of a trap by themselves and should not or only rarely (as a failed trap design by the architects) appear together with the lava trap.
If you’re gonna add other traps as well, you could make the game roll a dice to choose a random trap for each pyramid. Or even more than one, as long these are not traps which defeat each other (like lava + mummies).

Maybe there could be different variants of the lava trap. One variant of it works like now. But it should be rare. Another variant only would have just one lava node and one breakable stone right above it. This would come much more as a surprise, I hope.

I have an (not really working) idea for another trap: Hide some some in the upper part of the pyramid and drop it on the player when the trap is activated. This trap would make sense if the player suffered from being stuck in sand or whatever but as for now it would be just a minor inconvenience. :-/

If possible, this mod should use lava rarely, since lava is a precious resource, needed to make obsidian.

2.: On Treasurer

Oh, it would not be a dependency, it would be an optional dependency. It means that the mod still works without Treasurer. Iff Treasurer is present, it uses it.

To add Treasurer support, pyramids.fill_chest (of v0.4) has to be changed. This:

for i=0,2,1 do
    local stuff = chest_stuff[math.random(1,#chest_stuff)]
    if stuff.name == "farming:bread" and not minetest.get_modpath("farming") then stuff = chest_stuff[1] end
    local stack = {name=stuff.name, count = math.random(1,stuff.max)}
    if not inv:contains_item("main", stack) then
        inv:set_stack("main", math.random(1,32), stack)
    end
end
(the part below “math.random(1,10)” …)

To this:

local stacks
if minetest.get_modpath("treasurer") ~= nil then
    stacks = treasurer.select_random_treasures(3,7,9)
else
    for i=0,2,1 do
        local stuff = chest_stuff[math.random(1,#chest_stuff)]
        if stuff.name == "farming:bread" and not minetest.get_modpath("farming") then stuff = chest_stuff[1] end
        stacks = {{name=stuff.name, count = math.random(1,stuff.max)}}
    end
end
for s=1,#stacks do
    if not inv:contains_item("main", stacks[s]) then
        inv:set_stack("main", math.random(1,32), stacks[s])
    end
end
The code does what I proposed in my previous post in this thread.

I tested it myself in a rush and found no bugs so far. But more testing is welcome, of course. :-) If you tested it, please tell me what you think.
To test: Activate Treasurer, the modified Pyramids mod and trm_default_example. I plan to add “real” TRMs in the future.

Of course “treasurer?” has to be added to depends.txt then (“?” denotes optional dependency).

3.: Technical stuff
Spoiler
You mod has (right now) an optional dependency on farming because of the bread. It is optional because you check for farming’s existance, which is good. The optional dependency is not mentioned in depends.txt. Add “farming?”.
Spoiler
I like the idea of the mummie spawners very much. Especially that it is hidden. Is there a generalized version of monster spawners (spawns any kind of monsters) or is this spawner truly uniqe to this mod?

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Liking this mod. Makes me want to see more Egyptian style constructs. Temples? Plazas? Statues? Makes me want to change my player skin to Indy Jones. =) Having to dig out the structures make deserts worth crossing.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Actually I started building an Egyptian style temple from some layouts I found online.

Series of images I'm using for the build... though it works out to be huge. I'm building the prototype on Vanessa Creative server beside Okean's chessboard (500,x,500). Plenty of rooms for traps and hordes of mummies though I can't do that on creative. I've gotten as far as layout with rising floors per section. I'm placing chests. Trying my hand at statues with circular saw with limited results. Trying to keep to the limits of the mod so it might be of some use.

Of course, if it were to be part of this mod it would have to be super rare. I can already see it as a monster to get through once the mummies are set loose. The hall and pronaos are typical ambush locations.

Gorilla

by Gorilla » Post

I played this mod (version 0.4) and enjoyed looking around, though the process of finding the door into the pyramid was annoying as it was buried in the sand and desert stone.

I don't have any details to offer of that bug. On the other hand, I did like the idea of a long lost pyramid.

Mod Idea: Inca Pyramid in Jungle biome. ;-)

Jouster27

by Jouster27 » Post

I like the pyramids being partially buried. It's an element of realism that I enjoy.

I really, REALLY dig (pardon the pun) the idea of Incan-style pyramids in Jungle biomes. Great idea!

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Jouster27 wrote:I like the pyramids being partially buried. It's an element of realism that I enjoy.

I really, REALLY dig (pardon the pun) the idea of Incan-style pyramids in Jungle biomes. Great idea!
Me too. Jungles need some ruins of their own.

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:Actually I started building an Egyptian style temple from some layouts I found online.
http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/temples/e ... utaway.jpg
http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/art/sectiontemple.gif
http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/art/plantemple.gif

Series of images I'm using for the build... though it works out to be huge. I'm building the prototype on Vanessa Creative server beside Okean's chessboard (500,x,500). Plenty of rooms for traps and hordes of mummies though I can't do that on creative. I've gotten as far as layout with rising floors per section. I'm placing chests. Trying my hand at statues with circular saw with limited results. Trying to keep to the limits of the mod so it might be of some use.

Of course, if it were to be part of this mod it would have to be super rare. I can already see it as a monster to get through once the mummies are set loose. The hall and pronaos are typical ambush locations.
That would look great i guess but i fear generating would be kinda complicated and bloat the mod...
Gorilla wrote:I played this mod (version 0.4) and enjoyed looking around, though the process of finding the door into the pyramid was annoying as it was buried in the sand and desert stone.

I don't have any details to offer of that bug. On the other hand, I did like the idea of a long lost pyramid.

Mod Idea: Inca Pyramid in Jungle biome. ;-)
Hmm..thought i fixed that with the desert stone :\
And the inca pyramids are a nice suggestion. But dont expect them very soon to come ;)

LuxAtheris

by LuxAtheris » Post

This is a great mod
+10000 for you
also i like the hurt sound.
Believe you can and you’re halfway there.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I just realized this mod has a problem - it slows down the animations of all the player models also. This may be due to the use of global variables here which conflict default/player.lua (e.g. "animation_speed" instead of something like "mummy_animation_speed" or so).
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

VanessaE wrote:I just realized this mod has a problem - it slows down the animations of all the player models also. This may be due to the use of global variables here which conflict default/player.lua (e.g. "animation_speed" instead of something like "mummy_animation_speed" or so).
Untested but should be fixed here: https://github.com/BlockMen/pyramids

Johnyknowhow
In-game: Minetestian

by Johnyknowhow » Post

wow BlockMen,
you make soooooo many cool mods,
It's weird looking back on my old posts as an adult. Miss some of the old times though. Johnyknowhow#5272

LuxAtheris

by LuxAtheris » Post

so where can I find the damage that the mummies do?
Believe you can and you’re halfway there.

Achilles
In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Post

Maybe you should stand in front of a mummy and let it hit you once. See how many lives you lose. :P

Im Serious
Last edited by Achilles on Wed Jan 01, 2014 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
The Ironic Thing About Common Sense Is That It Isn't Very Common

shaheerziya

by shaheerziya » Post

I have a request that is can you please add a different types of pyramids like:
Egyptian Pyramid with short mummies(the biggest and strongest pyramid)
Czech Pyramids with tall mummies(2nd most strongest)
Normal Pyramids with normal mummies(At last)
Egyptian pyramids would be gigantic and be having lots of treasure(spawning: super dooper rare)
Czech would be smaller and weaker(spawning: rare)
Normal would be normal(spawning:Moderate)
Tanks in advance i would really like it if you will add this in the next version
(My 2nd most favorite mod this is and i am a kid and do not know lua.)

Zelenavoda

by Zelenavoda » Post

shaheerziya wrote: Czech Pyramids with tall mummies(2nd most strongest)
Do you seriously think you can find desert in Czech republic?... You should take some geography lessons.

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

Zelenavoda wrote:
shaheerziya wrote: Czech Pyramids with tall mummies(2nd most strongest)
http://www.internationalteflacademy.com ... c-tefl.jpg
Do you seriously think you can find desert in Czech republic?... You should take some geography lessons.
I think they should not allow patients of mental hospital to connect to internet..
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

shaheerziya

by shaheerziya » Post

I am just a 4 grader and we have just started reading geography! :( and i know there are not any deserts in Czech biuty the NAME looks pyramid-y so i thought they should be added and tatta!

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

please slap yourself with something heavy.. maybe then you will stop act like retarded..
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'ServerError'
what(): ...t/worlds/Survival_World/worldmods/pyramids/mummy.lua:316: attempt
to index local 'p' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
...t/worlds/Survival_World/worldmods/pyramids/mummy.lua:316: in function
<...t/worlds/Survival_World/worldmods/pyramids/mummy.lua:182>
/home/minetest/Scripts/minetestserver-survival.sh: line 27: 21955 Aborted

(Minetest git pulled earlier this morning, pyramids mod is up-to-date also)

neron

by neron » Post

Could you also make a version that would do minecraft desert temples and jungle temples?