[MOD] voltbuild, a fork of itest [voltbuild]

ElectricSolstice

by ElectricSolstice » Post

emmetcooper wrote:Awesome mod. :D but I'm having trouble trying to install it. i always get this error. How do i fix this?

Code: Select all

03:06:13: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: D:\GAMES\Minetest\bin\..\mods\voltbuild/charge.lua:72: attempt to compare number with nil
Which version of minetest are you using? O: If your minetest version is less than 4.7, you probably need to update.

I took a quick look at that line of code, and it is supposed to be a number because the line right before it asks the game for the light value at the player's position. So make sure you check which version of minetest you're using, because that error shouldn't be occuring.

EDIT:

Is this your first time using this mod or have you used it before and it worked?
Last edited by ElectricSolstice on Sat Nov 02, 2013 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

emmetcooper

by emmetcooper » Post

I'm using 0.4.7 for windows. It worked a few times but from time to time it displays that error message and stops the world from loading. Does it have incompatibility with other mods? because i have other mods installed like technic and VanessaE's mods.

EDIT: Right now I'm trying to make it work for linux.

EDIT: Whenever Voltbuild is enabled along other mods, segmentation fault happens. i have 4Gb of ram.
Last edited by emmetcooper on Sun Nov 03, 2013 05:19, edited 1 time in total.

ElectricSolstice

emmetcooper wrote:I'm using 0.4.7 for windows. It worked a few times but from time to time it displays that error message and stops the world from loading. Does it have incompatibility with other mods? because i have other mods installed like technic and VanessaE's mods.

EDIT: Right now I'm trying to make it work for linux.

EDIT: Whenever Voltbuild is enabled along other mods, segmentation fault happens. i have 4Gb of ram.
Hmm, strange. I changed the two lines of light code to check if the light returned is nil, so download and use the latest version of the voltbuild mod to see if it fixes the problem.

I haven't used this mod that long with the new solar battery code so maybe it's possible that somehow the light being returned is nil instead of a number. Let me know if the problem continues.

Stops the world from loading? So it only occurs when you load the game and not in the middle of when you're playing? What are all the mods you are using when the segmentation fault occurs?
Last edited by ElectricSolstice on Sun Nov 03, 2013 06:01, edited 1 time in total.

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

minetest.get_node_light can return nil (IIRC, if the area is not loaded). Therefore, you should detect that in the mod.

emmetcooper

by emmetcooper » Post

One thing I confirmed though is that the Segmentation fault is triggered when you enable technic along with voltbuild. I'll try to look in detail why this happens to me. Also is that the current official version of minetest doesn't contain the "get_breath" method that sometimes brings up an error. I'll try to find a patch for this.
Last edited by emmetcooper on Sun Nov 03, 2013 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

emmetcooper wrote:Awesome mod. :D but I'm having trouble trying to install it. i always get this error. How do i fix this?

03:06:13: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: D:\GAMES\Minetest\bin\..\mods\voltbuild/charge.lua:72: attempt to compare number with nil
try to get the newest minetest-dev version
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

ElectricSolstice

Nore wrote:minetest.get_node_light can return nil (IIRC, if the area is not loaded). Therefore, you should detect that in the mod.
That's what I did in the change to the two lines of light code :3 Therefore, emmetcooper should remove the current voltbuild mod in there and replace it with the newest one if that user hasn't already.

ElectricSolstice

emmetcooper wrote:One thing I confirmed though is that the Segmentation fault is triggered when you enable technic along with voltbuild. I'll try to look in detail why this happens to me. Also is that the current official version of minetest doesn't contain the "get_breath" method that sometimes brings up an error. I'll try to find a patch for this.
If you don't mind going without the scuba gear, you can just comment out one line. Comment out line 64 in the file consumers.lua. On that line it says

dofile(modpath.."/scuba.lua)
Change that line to

--dofile(modpath.."/scuba.lua)
Make sure to load the world again after making this change.

If you must have the scuba gear, then you'll just have to update your minetest version :3

Could you list all the mods you are using? Will try it with technic to see what errors I get, but would be useful to know all the mods in case the problem is more complicated than that.
Last edited by ElectricSolstice on Sun Nov 03, 2013 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

emmetcooper

by emmetcooper » Post

Sure :)

Technic
Technic WorldGen
Technic Chests
Army
Concrete
ExtraNodes
Pipeworks
MoreBlocks
MoreOres
MoreTrees
Farming Plus
Home Decor
Framed Glass
Infrastructure
Craft Guide
Mesecon
Plant Life
Scuba
Stargate
Streets
Unified Dyes
Unified Inventory
VoltBuild

:D

I'm trying to make a MineTest Version of Feed The Beast. :D

ElectricSolstice

emmetcooper wrote:Sure :)

Technic
Technic WorldGen
Technic Chests
Army
Concrete
ExtraNodes
Pipeworks
MoreBlocks
MoreOres
MoreTrees
Farming Plus
Home Decor
Framed Glass
Infrastructure
Craft Guide
Mesecon
Plant Life
Scuba
Stargate
Streets
Unified Dyes
Unified Inventory
VoltBuild

Cool, thanks for including my mod in the modpack ^_^ Interesting that you would pick both my mod and technic though. The two mods are kinda alternatives to the other as our electric systems are completely different.

I'll try getting all those mods installed to see if i pick up any bugs.

emmetcooper

by emmetcooper » Post

ElectricSolstice wrote:

Technic
Technic WorldGen
Technic Chests
Army
Concrete
ExtraNodes
Pipeworks
MoreBlocks
MoreOres
MoreTrees
Farming Plus
Home Decor
Framed Glass
Infrastructure
Craft Guide
Mesecon
Plant Life
Scuba
Stargate
Streets
Unified Dyes
Unified Inventory
VoltBuild

Cool, thanks for including my mod in the modpack ^_^ Interesting that you would pick both my mod and technic though. The two mods are kinda alternatives to the other as our electric systems are completely different.

No problem. :D. Actually me and my friend stopped working on our minecraft mod and decided to focus on this. :D Much more fun to mod and more things to try out. :D I'll try to make some sort of energy bridge for voltbuild and technic. It would be a good starting point for intercompatibility. :)

ElectricSolstice

emmetcooper wrote:
ElectricSolstice wrote:

Technic
Technic WorldGen
Technic Chests
Army
Concrete
ExtraNodes
Pipeworks
MoreBlocks
MoreOres
MoreTrees
Farming Plus
Home Decor
Framed Glass
Infrastructure
Craft Guide
Mesecon
Plant Life
Scuba
Stargate
Streets
Unified Dyes
Unified Inventory
VoltBuild

No problem. :D. Actually me and my friend stopped working on our minecraft mod and decided to focus on this. :D Much more fun to mod and more things to try out. :D I'll try to make some sort of energy bridge for voltbuild and technic. It would be a good starting point for intercompatibility. :)
Cool ^_^ if you make some intercompatibility, I might add it to my mod. Just let me know if you used anyone else's code in that intercompatibility so I can know which licenses it's under and maybe even who to give credit to.

Oh, and check your lua_api.txt file that came with your minetest if you know where it is and check for the word Voxel. If it contains it, then good, but if not, then the on_blast function of the nuclear reactor probably isn't compatible with your version of minetest. If you can't find the lua_api.txt, you can always put uranium and a nuclear_reaction_chamber into a reactor to watch it blow up and see if there's an error lol. Just test this on a new world though, not one you care about.

If it turns out that your version of minetest doesn't have VoxelManip, then the on_blast of the reactor would probably have to be changed to use the original on_blast from the git commit eb330e1a94e13b2ca9b0d4121633bc98d34b0ee8
Are you comfortable enough working with git and modding to do this on your own if needed? :3
Last edited by ElectricSolstice on Sun Nov 03, 2013 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

emmetcooper

by emmetcooper » Post

Spoiler
ElectricSolstice wrote:
emmetcooper wrote:
ElectricSolstice wrote:

Cool ^_^ if you make some intercompatibility, I might add it to my mod. Just let me know if you used anyone else's code in that intercompatibility so I can know which licenses it's under and maybe even who to give credit to.

Oh, and check your lua_api.txt file that came with your minetest if you know where it is and check for the word Voxel. If it contains it, then good, but if not, then the on_blast function of the nuclear reactor probably isn't compatible with your version of minetest. If you can't find the lua_api.txt, you can always put uranium and a nuclear_reaction_chamber into a reactor to watch it blow up and see if there's an error lol. Just test this on a new world though, not one you care about.

If it turns out that your version of minetest doesn't have VoxelManip, then the on_blast of the reactor would probably have to be changed to use the original on_blast from the git commit eb330e1a94e13b2ca9b0d4121633bc98d34b0ee8
Are you comfortable enough working with git and modding to do this on your own if needed? :3

For the meantime, I might need to this alone. So I could learn and expand my skills. :D My skills aren't exactly that great compared to you guys. :D
I came from minecraft modding. Specifically Forge. So everything here will be a fresh start. But will sure be a fun one. :D But in-case will it be ok if i ask you a few questions from time to time during the development of my mod? When the time comes that my mod got lucky enough to be stable for public release, I will contact and inform you first before I'll post a thread. Then we can collaborate and expand our mods even more. :D Thank you so much for this awesome mod. :D
Last edited by emmetcooper on Sun Nov 03, 2013 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

emmetcooper

by emmetcooper » Post

This is the error i got when both Voltbuild and technic is enabled. I ran this on my dev version.
Spoiler

22:44:03: ERROR[main]: Error loading mod "voltbuild": LuaError: Number of registerable nodes (4096) exceeded (voltbuild:gold_cable2_101010)
22:44:03: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'register_item_raw'
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     ...top/minetest-master/bin/../builtin/misc_register.lua:153: in function 'register_item'
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     ...top/minetest-master/bin/../builtin/misc_register.lua:158: in function 'register_node'
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     /root/.minetest/mods/voltbuild/cables.lua:307: in function 'register_cable'
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     /root/.minetest/mods/voltbuild/cables.lua:331: in function 'register_cables'
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     /root/.minetest/mods/voltbuild/cables.lua:339: in main chunk
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'dofile'
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     /root/.minetest/mods/voltbuild/init.lua:124: in main chunk
22:44:03: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /root/.minetest/mods/voltbuild/init.lua
22:44:03: ERROR[main]: ModError: Failed to load and run /root/.minetest/mods/voltbuild/init.lua
The world can only load if one of either voltbuild or technic is disabled. In this case, i disabled technic and it ran perfectly. I'm guessing it was triggered by some sort of item conflict between the two mods. Like in minecraft modding, it's like ID conflicts. Hope this helps you fix it. :)
Last edited by emmetcooper on Sun Nov 03, 2013 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

ElectricSolstice

emmetcooper wrote:This is the error i got when both Voltbuild and technic is enabled. I ran this on my dev version.
Spoiler

22:44:03: ERROR[main]: Error loading mod "voltbuild": LuaError: Number of registerable nodes (4096) exceeded (voltbuild:gold_cable2_101010)
22:44:03: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'register_item_raw'
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     ...top/minetest-master/bin/../builtin/misc_register.lua:153: in function 'register_item'
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     ...top/minetest-master/bin/../builtin/misc_register.lua:158: in function 'register_node'
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     /root/.minetest/mods/voltbuild/cables.lua:307: in function 'register_cable'
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     /root/.minetest/mods/voltbuild/cables.lua:331: in function 'register_cables'
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     /root/.minetest/mods/voltbuild/cables.lua:339: in main chunk
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'dofile'
22:44:03: ERROR[main]:     /root/.minetest/mods/voltbuild/init.lua:124: in main chunk
22:44:03: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /root/.minetest/mods/voltbuild/init.lua
22:44:03: ERROR[main]: ModError: Failed to load and run /root/.minetest/mods/voltbuild/init.lua
The world can only load if one of either voltbuild or technic is disabled. In this case, i disabled technic and it ran perfectly. I'm guessing it was triggered by some sort of item conflict between the two mods. Like in minecraft modding, it's like ID conflicts. Hope this helps you fix it. :)
O_O Looking at that error, sounds like there's a limit on how many mods can be used because it's saying you reached the limit for number of different types of nodes. Not sure if I can fix that because that would be in minetest itself. Both my mod and technic's mod adds numerous cable nodes to make them appear to connect to things like they do, so maybe as part of the intercompatibility, find a way to use one or the other mod's cable nodes and just cram both of the mods cable functionality into the compatibility nodes.

Also, just added a configuration option to use the older nuclear blast, so no worries on that part. However, the newer nuclear blast is recommended if you have VoxelManip support in your minetest version. If not, make sure your minetest is not running and then add

use_old_voltbuild_blasts = true
to your minetest.conf or just change the first line of the nuclear_reactor.lua file to equal true if you want it as default in your modpack.

EDIT
Another option could probably be just to only add one type of node for each cable. However, this means you'd have to do without the visuals of the cables looking like they'd connect because then the cables will always just look the same no matter what machine is next to them.
Last edited by ElectricSolstice on Sun Nov 03, 2013 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

emmetcooper

by emmetcooper » Post

If I'm allowed to, I'm gonna take a look at how technic implemented their cables and wiring. I have a feeling that the error lies in the cables of the 2 mod. :D It's just a theory but may lead us to something. :D Also, I'll research if there is a limit to how many items can be added into minetest. I'm guessing there's no limit. Cuz it doesn't have a IDs or some sort like how minecraft implemented it. Cuz I can keep on adding more mods into minetest and still make it work. Just making sure that voltbuild and technic is not enabled together. So for now, I don't think there's an actual limit. Maybe the RAM. :D

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Is there a server that uses this mod?

ElectricSolstice

emmetcooper wrote:If I'm allowed to, I'm gonna take a look at how technic implemented their cables and wiring. I have a feeling that the error lies in the cables of the 2 mod. :D It's just a theory but may lead us to something. :D Also, I'll research if there is a limit to how many items can be added into minetest. I'm guessing there's no limit. Cuz it doesn't have a IDs or some sort like how minecraft implemented it. Cuz I can keep on adding more mods into minetest and still make it work. Just making sure that voltbuild and technic is not enabled together. So for now, I don't think there's an actual limit. Maybe the RAM. :D
Most mods don't add cables that connect either :3 So, maybe if you could find another mod with cables or tubes that appear to connect, you could try adding that mod to see if it would still load. And yeah, it probably is the cables because the cables add a lot of nodes. Based on your error, i think you probably have a limit of 4096 nodes, but who knows. Anyways, good luck with this modpack and hope you learn a lot ^_^
Last edited by ElectricSolstice on Sun Nov 03, 2013 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

ElectricSolstice

Inocudom wrote:Is there a server that uses this mod?
None that I know of and with servers already using technic, probably not going to be soon.

emmetcooper

by emmetcooper » Post

ElectricSolstice wrote:
Inocudom wrote:Is there a server that uses this mod?
None that I know of and with servers already using technic, probably not going to be soon.

I guess i have to hurry up on fixing compatibility so voltbuild will receive attention that it deserves.

emmetcooper

by emmetcooper » Post

I've checked my lua_api.txt. Everything you've specified was there. Voxel and voxel_manip(). Looks like we both have the same version. :)

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

On the older 0.4.7 version of minetest there was a limit of 4,096 nodes total. Supposedly, in the newer dev versions that should be higher so if you are using a dev version of minetest and getting that error then you should likely report it in the bugs for the minetest itself because that shouldn't be the fault of the mods.

ElectricSolstice

More documentation has been added and the crafts.txt file was improved a bit. Also, a text file tutorial was added. The instructions are all in text, so there are no pictures along with it.

First Tutorial!!!

Although, some of the paragraphs might be a bit lengthy, but hopefully someone finds it useful.

ElectricSolstice

A new tool was added. It's a short range teleportation glove that teleports you around where you right click when holding the glove. It's a high voltage tool, meaning charge it up in an mfs unit. Takes a decent amount to charge up, so a nuclear reactor or equivalent amount of energy recommended to power the mfs unit that is charging it.

JPRuehmann

Re: [MOD] voltbuild, a fork of itest [voltbuild]

by JPRuehmann » Post

Hello
Like to try out, but it is incompatible with the specialities mod.
viewtopic.php?id=3343
If I enable Voltbuild Specialities stop counting.
How can I fix that?
Thanks,
JPR