by Danfun64 » Post

how do I enable protection?

afflatus
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

Re: [Mod] Advanced area protection [areas]

by afflatus » Post

I worked out how to open an area within a protected one, but I just discovered that you can't have a protected area within and open one. Is it possible to change this?
Grailtest is stirring ...

u34

Re:

by u34 » Post

Sokomine wrote:All those protection mods out there do have one or the other flaw/limitation. Some are fine for very small areas - and small houses are easier to build well for less skilled players than large projects - but do not work at all for middle-sized to huge projects.

node_ownership is the protection mod I like most: It works, it protects well, it's fast - so it makes every sense to improve that mod further.

One issue I have with it is the way areas are marked. That got improved a lot in this mod, but it's still not optimal. I'd like players to be able to mark their aras on their own (at least the smaller ones). Fiddling with coordinates is too confusing for most players. Marking all four corners of an area with nodes that are well visible seems to come more natural to people. Unfortionately, most players on Redcrabs server are utterly confused when I ask them to show me two diagonally opposite corners of their area. So perhaps letting them mark all four corners and offering a formspec on those marker nodes where the players can enter how deep they want to go their area into the ground and the sky respectively and how they want it called may help.
that's true, a real protection should also be done by the owner of the object he want to build, not only submitted by an admin or op.
+1 for your mod

ShadowNinja
Developer
GitHub: ShadowNinja
IRC: ShadowNinja
In-game: ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Post

afflatus wrote:You can't have a protected area within an open one. Can this be changed?
I don't know how to do this well without breaking "open areas inside protected areas are open." You could do something like "if the size of the protected area is smaller than the open area then it's protected, otherwise it's open," but that probably wouldn't always work as expected, and it would make the protection calculations a lot slower and more complicated.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

OK thanks. It needs to work as expected.

fireglow
IRC: fireglow
In-game: fireglow

by fireglow » Post

Super great mod, I absolutely love it, it makes my server a much better place for our builders.
I have a suggestion, for which I had numerous requests:
Add a "expel" command, that teleports all players in the users area that are not an owner of the current area out of said area.

Kind of like "Can you build here? No? Then out you go".

As I'm sure you are aware, minetest suffers from an issue where high-latency players can sometimes move through doors, walls.
The expel function would be a great aid in those cases where people want intruders out of their home.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

fireglow wrote: As I'm sure you are aware, minetest suffers from an issue where high-latency players can sometimes move through doors, walls.
The expel function would be a great aid in those cases where people want intruders out of their home.
I don't really like this idea. Players ought to be able to take a look at the buildings of others and go sightseeing. Else the houses could as well have been built in singleplayer. Theft of items out of furnaces can be avoided thanks to protection mods and recent changes to the furnaces. If players stalk others, and it's not just a young kid desperately seeking some attention, then it's a social problem and may require the intervention of a moderator or admin anyway.

What might be far more intresting would be a "teleport me to the next one of my protected areas in sequence" so that players can check all the land they protected. Would also be helpful for admins. Maybe I ought to add a "teleport me there" command to my markers mod.

If you really want to keep players out of a certain area, you might create a special node which can be activated for a limited time or consume some sort of fuel (thus no way of keeping it running indefinitely) and which would scan for players around it and teleport those away which are not allowed to build there. There could be a safe player-collect-place nearby (i.e. a public road) where they could be beamed to. After all explorers who came out a long way might be less than pleased if an overprotective player sent them all the way back.
A list of my mods can be found here.

fireglow
IRC: fireglow
In-game: fireglow

by fireglow » Post

Sokomine wrote: I don't really like this idea. Players ought to be able to take a look at the buildings of others and go sightseeing. Else the houses could as well have been built in singleplayer. Theft of items out of furnaces can be avoided thanks to protection mods and recent changes to the furnaces. If players stalk others, and it's not just a young kid desperately seeking some attention, then it's a social problem and may require the intervention of a moderator or admin anyway.
You seem to have missed the point.
The /expel or whatever command is for when strangers, through a glitch (as pointed out), got into where they shouldn't have.
I do believe that in those cases, a way to forcibly eject unwanted guests, would be most welcome to home owners.
At the risk of repeating myself, I have had this request several times by many of my regular players.
Sokomine wrote: What might be far more intresting would be a "teleport me to the next one of my protected areas in sequence" so that players can check all the land they protected. Would also be helpful for admins. Maybe I ought to add a "teleport me there" command to my markers mod.

If you really want to keep players out of a certain area, you might create a special node which can be activated for a limited time or consume some sort of fuel (thus no way of keeping it running indefinitely) and which would scan for players around it and teleport those away which are not allowed to build there. There could be a safe player-collect-place nearby (i.e. a public road) where they could be beamed to. After all explorers who came out a long way might be less than pleased if an overprotective player sent them all the way back.
This sounds rather complicated to implement, set up and maintain, but you are of course welcome to do this, if you want to.
Nobody said anything about "all the way back".
I was thinking of teleporting them to the edge of the current area so that is it clear that A) the home owner does not approve of the intruders presence and B) the home owner does have means to enforce their desire, other that just repeating "please leave" a dozen times, before giving up frustrated. and feeling violated in their own home.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

An /expel command would be easy to create. However, it is a moderation issue as Sokomine says. The solution which I just hit on is slightly more complex: I have instituted a scorecard system based on awards and explained to the player who likes breaking into people's homes that it will hurt his score. (once I've coded the on_protection_violation hook). He stopped doing it instantly. :-)

freakedenough

by freakedenough » Post

/protect <areaname> requires areas privilege
everyone has to have areas privilege
but everyone with areas privilege can build within areas from others
???
PROFIT

this mod seems to be useless.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

freakedenough wrote:/protect <areaname> requires areas privilege
???
PROFIT

In my opinion this is the best protection mod there is. Perhaps you do not know how to use it?
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

freakedenough

by freakedenough » Post

you may tell me how to use it? the main post lacks information about the privileges.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

freakedenough wrote:you may tell me how to use it? the main post lacks information about the privileges.
It is quite easy.
If you run a server only Admins should have the areas priv. They can protect land for the players.
If you want players to protect their own land then you use markers. It is a mod that has a gui for the players to use.

viewtopic.php?id=8175
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

ShadowNinja
Developer

by ShadowNinja » Post

everyone has to have areas privilege.
No it doesn't, it requires whatever privilege areas.self_protection_privilege is set to [1], which is interact by default [2]. You obviously have to enable self-protection first though, which the README clearly states [3][4].

[1] https://github.com/ShadowNinja/areas/bl ... nds.lua#L5
[2] https://github.com/ShadowNinja/areas/bl ... gs.lua#L34
[3] https://github.com/ShadowNinja/areas/bl ... figuration
[4] https://github.com/ShadowNinja/areas/bl ... d#commands

TheSuperTimelord
In-game: TheSuperTimelord

by TheSuperTimelord » Post

ok not sure where else to post this,so here
when i try to load the mod,it says that its trying to load init.lua from the textures folder... error log below,help?

Code: Select all

23:05:20: ERROR[main]: The following mods could not be found: "locale" "mesecons_compatibility" "sounds" "textures512"
23:05:20: ERROR[main]: ...ames\minetest-0.4.12\bin\..\mods\areas\textures\init.lua:11: attempt to concatenate field 'modpath' (a nil value)
23:05:20: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
23:05:20: ERROR[main]: 	...ames\minetest-0.4.12\bin\..\mods\areas\textures\init.lua:11: in main chunk
I don't want to go...

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

I'd delete and reinstall a clean copy if I were you.
I guess you've accidentally moved init.lua into the textures folder

TheMasterAnimatronic
IRC: TheShadow
In-game: TheMasterAnimatronic TheShadow

by TheMasterAnimatronic » Post

How would i protect the entire map by default?

ShadowNinja
Developer

by ShadowNinja » Post

TheMasterAnimatronic wrote:How would i protect the entire map by default?
Just add an area that extends from -32000 to 32000 or so in all dimensions.

CWz
GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz
In-game: CWz

by CWz » Post

is it possible for a mod to get area id? or owner name

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Post

CWz wrote:is it possible for a mod to get area id? or owner name
Take a look at api.lua.

areas:getAreasAtPos(pos)
or

areas:getNodeOwners(pos)
seem to be what you want.

trev
In-game: trev

by trev » Post

Nice Work! I'm putting this on a group survival server that I play on with my friends!
Do what you love, and you will love what you do! :)

MangleFox70
GitHub: Cat5TV
IRC: MangleFox70
In-game: MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

???
PROFIT

This is the issue we're having on our server. Anyone know if this is a bug or if we're truly not using it right?

- All users have "areas" priv by default.
- I'll place /area_pos1 in lower corner, then fly to the upper far corner and place /area_pos2
- Then I type /protect My Area

It shows the area as protected (eg., the HUD now says "My Area (MangleFox70)") but any user can still break things in my area as if it was not protected, and they do not spawn back as I expect they should (since they're protected).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
#ThePixelShadow on YouTube
A Weekly Minetest Webcast hosted by MangleFox70
Have a mod you'd like featured? Want to participate in our show? Join servers.minetest.tv Port 30000 for creative or 30001 for survival.
Upload your own skin via our web site: Minetest.TV

CWz
GitHub: chaoswormz
IRC: CWz
In-game: CWz

by CWz » Post

Areas priv is the priv you give to admins not players

to enable self protect. you need to add areas.self_protection = true to the minetest.conf file

MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

CWz wrote:Areas priv is the priv you give to admins not players

to enable self protect. you need to add areas.self_protection = true to the minetest.conf file
CWz, I had a feeling it was something like that. Thank you so much for clarifying this--will fix it immediately!
Have a mod you'd like featured? Want to participate in our show? Join servers.minetest.tv Port 30000 for creative or 30001 for survival.

MangleFox70

by MangleFox70 » Post

Having added areas.self_protection = true to my conf file, users still get the error that they don't have self protection ability (can't protect). In order to protect, I'm having to add the "areas" priv temporarily, let them protect, and then revoke the privilege. Is there something I'm missing? I copied that to the conf file verbatim and restarted the server, so there must be something else?

Thanks in advance for your help!!