Page 2 of 9

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 02:29
by BrunoMine
This mod seems very complicated. Explain better!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 20:08
by CraigyDavi
brunob.santos wrote:This mod seems very complicated. Explain better!


Here explains all the commands in detail.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 02:27
by Sokomine
My new markers mod allows to easily mark and handle areas. If you're having trouble with the chat commands, take a look at that mod! I hope it will make self-protection for players much easier in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 19:07
by TenPlus1
It seems that cactus and tree blocks can be placed in a protected areas without any problems, any idea why ??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 02:28
by ShadowNinja
TenPlus1 wrote:It seems that cactus and tree blocks can be placed in a protected areas without any problems, any idea why ??

Yes. minetest.rotate_and_place ignored protection. I've fixed it here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 05:04
by freejack
Ok it seems there is some lag between the update and the readme. I know it is not config.lau but settings.lau. I need to increase the max area to protect.

it says the max is 1024m^2, trying to increase it to 5000 or more. When I do it crashes on boot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 18:16
by ShadowNinja
freejack wrote:Ok it seems there is some lag between the update and the readme. I know it is not config.lau but settings.lau. I need to increase the max area to protect.

it says the max is 1024m^2, trying to increase it to 5000 or more. When I do it crashes on boot.

Areas has no maximum or minimum size by default. And self-protection is limited to 50*100*50m^3 by default.
Do you mean Sokomine's markers mod?
It implements a GUI for areas and has a 1024m^2 hardcoded limit (although it's in a variable).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 18:47
by freejack
That is it thank you now off to figure it out.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 01:56
by BRICK
I may be missing something, but I follow the steps (using the chat commands) to create an area, set myself as the owner, and then use the protect command to prevent others from digging/building on it.
Now here's the problem: the area is listed as my area, but people are still able to build and dig on the area even after I use the /protect command.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 01:58
by Sokomine
The areas mod usually works pretty well and protecs reliably. Try my markers mod. It has a book and a marker stone that allow you to visualize the area. That way you can check if you protected the right place.

[Edit] Of course it might be that all your other players have extensive privs and are thus allowed to build in any area. Check if they got the areas-priv.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 02:20
by BRICK
Sokomine wrote:The areas mod usually works pretty well and protecs reliably. Try my markers mod. It has a book and a marker stone that allow you to visualize the area. That way you can check if you protected the right place.

[Edit] Of course it might be that all your other players have extensive privs and are thus allowed to build in any area. Check if they got the areas-priv.



Oh, so if they have the areas priv, then they are able to build on protected areas?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 02:40
by Sokomine
BRICK wrote:Oh, so if they have the areas priv, then they are able to build on protected areas?

Yes. Players with that priv are area maintainers and can build there regardless of ownership. Do not give the areas priv to normal players. Only give it to your moderators/trustworthy players.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 02:56
by BRICK
Sokomine wrote:
BRICK wrote:Oh, so if they have the areas priv, then they are able to build on protected areas?

Yes. Players with that priv are area maintainers and can build there regardless of ownership. Do not give the areas priv to normal players. Only give it to your moderators/trustworthy players.



Okay, thanks! That clears up a lot of confusion...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 23:58
by gsmanners
This is a pretty cool mod. It protects from dig and place, but not from anything else. So, you get these usage scenarios:

1) Set up a public place where the area is protected by an admin, so anyone can store or use items, but they can't change what those items are or where they are placed.

2) Set up a private place where the area is owned by that particular owner, using locked doors and/or locked chests to protect places/items completely from other users.

It wasn't completely clear from the description that this was the case until I tried this out, myself. There's also a few caveats:

- Doesn't protect your area from TNT or mesecon pistons (might have to adjust those mods if you use them).
- Doesn't protect your area from flowing water or lava placed on some kind of ledge a griefer might decide to build at the border.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 03:24
by ShadowNinja
gsmanners wrote:There's also a few caveats:

- Doesn't protect your area from TNT or mesecon pistons (might have to adjust those mods if you use them).
- Doesn't protect your area from flowing water or lava placed on some kind of ledge a griefer might decide to build at the border.

TNT mods should check for protection, as should mesecons pistons, using the protection API in the engine. File a issue with those mods. (Although there isn't area protection checking in the engine yet...)
Lava and water are virtually impossible to protect from as liquids need to be handled in the engine for speed. You can protect a few extra nodes to prevent liquids from getting to your things, and you can make tall areas so that greifers can't stack up over the top.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:31
by gsmanners
I was just thinking that you'd need something like a moat and a wall. It's classic protection all over again, but areas definitely helps even in that case.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 20:43
by Sokomine
Most servers at least disable lava buckets above ground. Water is easier to clean away, and in the rare occasions where lava above ground may do something good, asking a moderator to place it ought to be possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 19:34
by CraigyDavi
The area owners on the HUD do not seem to be working.
This happened just after I updated server to version 0.4.9.
Would anyone know what the problem could be? The hud.lua file is there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 21:46
by ShadowNinja
CraigyDavi wrote:The area owners on the HUD do not seem to be working.
This happened just after I updated server to version 0.4.9.
Would anyone know what the problem could be? The hud.lua file is there.

0.4.9 has a bug in client initialization, the TOCLIENT_HUD_ADD command is sent, but it's sent before the client is ready to handle it. Update to a recent git build, wait for 0.4.10, or downgrade.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 17:08
by CraigyDavi
ShadowNinja wrote:
CraigyDavi wrote:The area owners on the HUD do not seem to be working.
This happened just after I updated server to version 0.4.9.
Would anyone know what the problem could be? The hud.lua file is there.

0.4.9 has a bug in client initialization, the TOCLIENT_HUD_ADD command is sent, but it's sent before the client is ready to handle it. Update to a recent git build, wait for 0.4.10, or downgrade.


At the moment it seems to sometimes show the area owners on the HUD but rarely.

So I need to update the minetest version. I use a dev build from January the 26th. Do I need a newer version?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 04:40
by ShadowNinja
CraigyDavi wrote:At the moment it seems to sometimes show the area owners on the HUD but rarely.

It's a race condition I believe, so your client might be ready in time, or might not.

CragyDavi wrote:So I need to update the minetest version. I use a dev build from January the 26th. Do I need a newer version?

It was fixed a few days after your build.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 08:49
by TenPlus1
ShadowNinja wrote:
TenPlus1 wrote:It seems that cactus and tree blocks can be placed in a protected areas without any problems, any idea why ??

Yes. minetest.rotate_and_place ignored protection. I've fixed it here.


Works ok, am somehow still able to place doors though...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 09:10
by CraigyDavi
ShadowNinja wrote:
CraigyDavi wrote:So I need to update the minetest version. I use a dev build from January the 26th. Do I need a newer version?

It was fixed a few days after your build.


Ok thanks. I'll update it soon.

TenPlus1 wrote:
ShadowNinja wrote:
TenPlus1 wrote:It seems that cactus and tree blocks can be placed in a protected areas without any problems, any idea why ??

Yes. minetest.rotate_and_place ignored protection. I've fixed it here.


Works ok, am somehow still able to place doors though...


Same here. People can place doors in protected areas.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 15:51
by Sokomine
CraigyDavi wrote:Same here. People can place doors in protected areas.

That needs to be fixed in minetest_game in the doors mod.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 04:17
by ShadowNinja
TenPlus1 wrote:Works ok, am somehow still able to place doors though...

Fixed here.