[Mod] Experimental mapgen [mg]

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Beautiful map, i like the irregular polygon shape of the biomes.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Seems like the mapper had a bug, here's the complete map:
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I'm loving this mapgen, especially the villages. I'm planning on adding some buildings are there any best practice recommendations for creating the .we files for the buildings?

I get this error when the server starts up

Code: Select all

13:30:30: ERROR[main]: set_mapgen_params(): flagmask field is deprecated, see lua_api.txt
It doesn't seem to affect anything but I thought I would report it.

There are also air pockets under water, they mostly seem to occur near caves and sometimes the natural breaks in the ice. Is there any way to fix these?

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: [Mod] Experimental mapgen [mg]

by Inocudom » Post

I have come to the difficult conclusion that depth does not effect how common ores are and that mese and diamonds are almost impossible to find (they almost never appear in caves.)

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

They are (very) difficult to find, but once you've found one vein of it, you've got enough for a long time...
About the air pockets, it is in fact the cave generation that does that... it is those which do the breaks in the ice too.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

It looks like adding this at line 620 in init.lua (just after the calc_lighting() call) helps fix the bubbles.

vm:update_liquids()

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Nore wrote:They are (very) difficult to find, but once you've found one vein of it, you've got enough for a long time...
About the air pockets, it is in fact the cave generation that does that... it is those which do the breaks in the ice too.
Does depth actually effect how often they appear? It seems like it doesn't.

Nore
Developer

by Nore » Post

You just need to go deep enough, but after that, it does not change.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I did find mese eventually, but diamonds, mithril, and gold do not seem to appear at all. Even magma shafts don't have any of those in them. You may want to re-examine the code for those three ores. You could have them generate like the mese blocks do.

Nore
Developer

by Nore » Post

I told you, those are very hard to find. However, when I played on VanessaE's mg test server, I found a vein in which I got almost 500 diamonds...

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Please, forgive me for my previous displays of ignorance. After doing some tests, I did indeed find veins of gold and diamonds. However, my observations lead me to the conclusion that, for the average player, finding them is a matter of luck. If only some mod (like technic) had a device that could detect the presence of ores.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Inocudom wrote: However, my observations lead me to the conclusion that, for the average player, finding them is a matter of luck.
That's right. This mapgen boils down to walking through the cave systems, placing a torch here and there, and looking for veins. For singleplayer, that's far too frustrating. The normal ore generation works far better there. The only situation where I think that this form of ore generation/frequency could be beneficial is a heavily populated multiplayer server with a lot of trade going on. It ought to be changed back to that normal ore generation.
Inocudom wrote: If only some mod (like technic) had a device that could detect the presence of ores.
That would be of limited help only due to areas with the ore you seek for probably not existing yet.

The villages on this mapgen work very nicely, especially with the villages BrandonReese introduced. If thevillages start to learn to do more things, that might be an improvement to any mapgen. The individual houses in the villages are a bit primitive compared to the style I usually like, but then, my houses would be a pain for a mob to navigate in. The houses are still far better than what I saw in Minecraft. And - as that overview image here shows - village distribution works very nicely as well.

Other parts of the mapgen (the diffrent biomes) work out good as well. The only thing that ought to be changed is the ore distribution. Perhaps as an option.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Unless diamond shops are created on servers with this mapgen, there really is no sense in trying to get diamonds. The odds are vastly against the player.

michaeltrio

by michaeltrio » Post

This experimental mapgen can serve for long time. We can find diamonds, mithril, and gold do not seem to appear at all.

Viking

by Viking » Post

Love this mapgen. The terrain is well done and the cave system is, well, extensive :)

I also like the idea of ore in veins but, as already noted, for singleplayer it can be tedious as it's much harder to find a vein of the more valuable ore's. In about 30 hours of mining (actual mining not just playing using freebee diamond picks) I have found 1 diamond vein (253 items), 1 gold vein (419) and 7 nodes of mithril which was not in a vein just random.

So, as I play only singleplayer I devised a solution.

There is an old mod, charcoal (https://github.com/torusJKL/charcoal) which produces charcoal lumps from burning trees. The lumps are furnace fuel, more efficient than coal, and worth making IMHO.

Charcoal is carbon, so is diamond, so I added some code to charcoal init creating a new craftitem I called diamond fragment. Basically, 9 charcoal lumps creates a diamond fragment, 9 diamond fragments creates a diamond.

So, 9x9 = 81 trees burned into charcoal gets you a diamond. 81x3 = 243 trees needed to make a diamond pick.
Then you can go and spend the time looking for the veins.

244 tree node's (you still need sticks) will be a lot for some players, not enough for others. I considered another step, say burning the charcoal lumps in a furnace to produce, call it Pure Carbon, then using Pure Carbon to craft diamond fragment's.

There is another old mod, nanotech (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6469&hilit=nanotech) which is based on carbon. The tools are overpowered IMHO but creating diamond could be added to this mod as well. It requires a lot of cotton farming.

On another note, a few hundred years ago it was thought you could make gold from lead. Perhaps someone can find a way :)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Viking wrote: Charcoal is carbon, so is diamond, so I added some code to charcoal init creating a new craftitem I called diamond fragment. Basically, 9 charcoal lumps creates a diamond fragment, 9 diamond fragments creates a diamond.
That might be one solution to the ore problem. Characoal is generally a good idea as it helps to play through the first night - before one has found coal. With the ores beeing diffrently distributed like in this mapgen, characoal seems even more important. Using it for tools is better than having to search for hours for materials for tools that are anything but lasting.

With BrandonReeses Adventuretest, it is incredibly hard to craft anything at all. It takes a lot of experience points to increase the skill for i.e. smelting iron - let alone crafting that into tools. The gameplay is quite diffrent from the normal game due to that. It's more likely to find some iron lumps in a chest in a village than underground by digging.

I've taken Nores mapgen and changed the village generator slightly so that it creates additional types of villages (mainly my medieval ones) as well. This works fine so far but needs improvement. The intention is to populate those villages with traders from whom everything can be obtained. I hope to mix that somehow with Brandons Game.
Viking wrote: On another note, a few hundred years ago it was thought you could make gold from lead. Perhaps someone can find a way :)
Impossible. The existence of lead is a myth! Such things do not exist in a common Minetest world :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

Viking

by Viking » Post

Using charcoal in this manner seems to be quite doable. I made a new map, starting from scratch, and it took me about an hour to make a diamond sword. Once I had the sword I went searching for a village secure in the knowledge that I could survive the night outside.

I cut enough wood to make a small wood house and only cut wood during the day until I had the sword. I dug a hole in the cabin, made some ladders, and mined only enough stone to make a furnace and keep me in stone axes.
I planted enough saplings to keep from having to go looking for trees, burned the rest for fuel along with any leaves I picked up. Grabbed apples from 2nd generation trees, sheared/butchered the occasional nearby sheep.

BTW, I generally play Next using one of sfan5's win 64 builds.

I played it safe and while I didn't hurry I didn't dawdle either. I didn't need any coal (not that coal is scarce) nor did I enter any cave.

I noticed savanna saplings were not fuel so I added them along with pine.

I did spawn underground (again) but was in dirt so no problem. I have spawned in stone before and that needs to be addressed, as already noted.

On a lark I decided to add some lead :) There is a mod, titanium, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3113
(use version 4) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/654 ... rsion4.zip that has some nice grey ore.
I enabled the mod and edited the file mg/oredesc and added the code:

mg.register_ore({
	name = "titanium:titanium_in_ground",
	wherein = "default:stone",
	seeddiff = 8,
	maxvdistance = 10,
	sizen = 54,
	sizedev = 27,
	maxheight = 64,
	seglenghtn = 15,
	seglenghtdev = 6,
	segincln = 0,
	segincldev = 0.36,
	turnangle = 57,
	forkturnangle = 57,
	radius = 1,
	numperblock = 6
})
It's just a copy of the coal line's with the variable seeddiff changed from 1 to 8. Each ore appears to have a unique seeddiff and 8 was the next higher unused number.
I noticed there is no code for tin here?

What I got was lots of nice titanium veins similiar in size and location to the coal veins :)
Titanium makes some awesome tools but that was not my intention. With a little work you could create a lead ore and make it into a source for gold using the same 9x9 I suggested for wood into diamond. IE burn lead lumps into ingots, craft 9 lead ingots into a lead block, 9 blocks into a gold lump or ingot.
Lol, far fetched I know, but I play singleplayer so who cares :)

Good luck with your traders Sokomine. I'm not into extreme survival (I play this game to relax) but this map gen is simply too good not to use.

Nore
Developer

by Nore » Post

Well, actually, the code for other mods is in other mods (both moreores and technic soft-depend on the mapgen, and call the mapgens hook for the ores if they are enabled). So, 8 may actually be used (you should take a higher number, like 42, to be sure it isn't used).
Anyway, thanks for reporting the saplings issues, I'm going to fix it.

Viking

by Viking » Post

Seeddiff at 42, got it and thank you

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

I just regenerated the overview map with --drawalpha, looks beautiful.
Spoiler
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Yes, village and land distribution works very nicely. I wonder how the overview map will look with the new village types added.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Sokomine wrote:I wonder how the overview map will look with the new village types added.
New village types? Which new village types?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

sfan5 wrote: New village types? Which new village types?
Villages with diffrent sets of houses. Currently available (depending on mods installed) are:
Typ "Nore": What this mapgen comes with. Good adventure town.
Typ "Taoki": Taoki allowed me to use the houses he built for his Structure I/O mod which aims at a similar direction as the mg villages. The houses are more detailed and a bit larger than those in "Nore"-villages.
With my cottages mod installed, you additionally get:
Typ "Medieval": Basicly what I did for my villages mod plus a few more schematics (wagons, sheds, ...). Detailed medieval villages.
Typ "Charachoal": Has only two buildings - a charachoal burner's simple hut and a hill where he makes the charachoal.
Typ "Lumberjack": Those lumberjack houses from my random-buildings mod, slightly modernized (more features of cottages-mod used) in combination with a new wooden church, inn and barack (called "hotel").
Typ "Claytrader": Well, not yet. Need to check the schematics. And I don't really know weather they ought to form villages or not.
Typ "Logcabin": Kind of a study how small houses can become while still looking good. No infrastructure buildings yet. They might use those from the lumberjack typ above in the future or even get merged with them.
Typ "Canadian": Houses built by LadyMacBest for Mauvebics mm2 modpack. Requires mods from that modpack to actually work. Rather a town with huge buildings than a village.
Typ "Grasshut": Requires some mods from the Eden game (grasses?). Inspired by a picture in one of the threads of the mods from that modpack.

As with my villages mod, some materials used in the buildings are randomly changed for entire villages so that they look a bit diffrent.

Nore also changed something so that more small villages can spawn in one area.

dm42
GitHub: dentm42
In-game: dm42

by dm42 » Post

As with my villages mod, some materials used in the buildings are randomly changed for entire villages so that they look a bit diffrent.
Is there any way to "scout" what materials are/will be availalbe in that area before the village is created? For example, if it's going to be a log-cabin type village - is there a way to find out what wood is "naturally" in the area? Or even base it on what biome you're in (and make some assumptions about what's available)? Just curious. Haven't checked out the pack yet, but will be very soon.