[Mod] Ethereal [1.16] [ethereal]

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [0.0.9]Ethereal[ethereal]

by Wuzzy » Post

Congratulations for reaching v1.0.
I really like this mod. There is really lot of creativity put into it. Nice to see fresh wind in Minetest.
Maybe I create a weird/fantasy subgame which includes this mod as a basis, who knows?

I have a few small technical improvement suggestions:

The inventory images of leaves don’t look very good. This could be fixed by adding

Code: Select all

inventory_image = "your_leaves_texture.png",
to the node definition of all nodes. This may still not be the best inventory image, but better than an all-dark image. ;-)

The selection boxes of many plants could be improved. I don’t like it that some plants take a full node as a selection box or that the selction box barely fits to the plant.
I did the selection box for ethereal:mushroom_plant for you, to give you an example of what I am talking about:

selection_box = { type = "fixed", fixed = { -0.2, -0.5, -0.2, 0.2, 0, 0.2} },
See it in the game to test the selection box.

Besides, I can not find any of the sea plants you are talking about.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Will fiddle with the inventory images and selection boxes and tidy those up a bit... As for seaplants, they only generate on sand under -15 in newly generated areas (or a fresh map)...

HeadsHunter
GitHub: HeadsHunter
IRC: HeadsHunter
In-game: HeadsHunter

by HeadsHunter » Post

Please put another site because i can't enter on github . I like all mods from xanadu and i want to download all but i cant download all because i cant enter on github .
I like this server a lot.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

HeadsHunter: Keep an eye on this forum page and you will see download links to the latest version appear at the end... like this one: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7656&start=125#p148964
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

Re: [0.1.0]Ethereal[ethereal]

by 4aiman » Post

Thanks everyone for waiting and sorry for missing the 1.00.
Just now github "got" the version 1.01 :)

Also, however sad it may be, I won't be able to update this @github during the last 2 weeks of July.
TenPlus1, could you e-mail/PM me all recent versions till I'll be back? Don't wanna miss anything like the 1.00 update.

Also, sorry for my impudence, but whoever wants to help me Magichet is welcome!
Just PM me to get details.
(Note, that you'll have to use Freeminer most of the time)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: [Mod] Ethereal [0.1.0] [ethereal]

by Inocudom » Post

Carbone and the etherial mod don't get along too well:

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ethereal is mainly designed to run on the default minetest_game, I've never really tried it with Carbone although I may check it out this weekend and see what errors it brings up and fix what I can...

EDIT: Seems the error only appears when using Carbone and Ethereal together, works with other [game] sets in Minetest... Carbone said he will remove the error message...
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Ethereal [1.07]

by TenPlus1 » Post

DELETE ME
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:28, edited 18 times in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

I'm back! Sadly, I've missed 1.03 update, but in a couple of hours git will be up-to-date with the latest 1.04!
Have fun!

Edit: Silly me, Internet provider wanted money first :)

TenPlus1

Ethereal 1.08 Hunger Values...

by TenPlus1 » Post

Here are the hunger values for the Better HUD mod's hunger.lua file:

if minetest.get_modpath("ethereal") then
	overwrite("ethereal:strawberry", 1)
	overwrite("ethereal:banana", 4)
	overwrite("ethereal:pine_nuts", 1)
	overwrite("ethereal:bamboo_sprout", 0, '', 3)
	overwrite("ethereal:fern_tubers", 1)
	overwrite("ethereal:banana_bread", 7)
	overwrite("ethereal:mushroom_plant", 2)
	overwrite("ethereal:coconut_slice", 2)
	overwrite("ethereal:golden_apple", 4, '', nil, 10)
	overwrite("ethereal:wild_onion_plant", 2)
	overwrite("ethereal:mushroom_soup", 4, "ethereal:bowl")
	overwrite("ethereal:mushroom_soup_cooked", 6, "ethereal:bowl")
	overwrite("ethereal:hearty_stew", 6, "ethereal:bowl", 3)
	overwrite("ethereal:hearty_stew_cooked", 10, "ethereal:bowl")
	overwrite("ethereal:bucket_cactus", 2, "bucket:bucket_empty")
	overwrite("ethereal:fish_raw", 2)
	overwrite("ethereal:fish_cooked", 5)
	overwrite("ethereal:seaweed", 1)
	overwrite("ethereal:yellowleaves", 1, '', nil, 1)
	overwrite("ethereal:sashimi", 4)
	overwrite("ethereal:orange", 4)
end
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

New 1.05 @ the github.com!

Also, the fences that are not "jumpable-over" stop sand from falling and make falling sand indestructible.
Just try to place 2 sand nodes above one fence node. Then break the bottom sand node. You'll see how sand will try to fall but won't be able due to fences collision box.

Although that's not your fault, Ten.
It's just the way anyone makes fences not "jumpable-over" is wrong one but nearly the only one possible.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Will look into the sand issue and see what can be done to remedy it...

UPDATE: Players can once again jump over fences as the increased nodebox height messed around with falling objects too much... 1.05b update above...

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Hey, I have an idea!

What if you add an entity above every fence?
An entity can be physical if there's a player inside the radius of 1 node or non physical if there're no players around, thus letting other entities fall as they should.

But making an ABM or on_timer() handle this would be an overkill, I think.

What if it'll be a player who would check the fences and change entities state?
Then there will be only #minetest.connected_players checks every dtime.
Magichet experience tells me the trick I've just described can be an option :)

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:What if you add an entity above every fence?
I don't get the problem. I SHOULD be able to jump over a 1 node high fence. It makes a perfect barrier to keep people from accidentally falling over an edge, but not stopping someone from deliberately going over if they wish. If you want to make a fence people can't jump over, make it two nodes high.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

The less there are opportunities to break in the less there will be those who trespass. :)

Anyway, it's a very neat thing to have 1-node-height fence which can't be jumped over. Economy & stuff :)
Besides, fences of 1 node look much prettier than those of 2. It's much more convenient to glance out of the window of a house build behind those 1 node fences too. It's just my "IMHO".

On the other hand, automatic generation of another fence node above the placed one may do the trick. That is if we want to spare some trees. And we obviously want. I had to walk like 2000 nodes before I saw the first unprotected tree @Xanadu.
But we must ensure that:
- there won't be any duplication if a node below is a fence;
- there won't be any drop if a node below is a fence and 2 nodes below is NOT a fence.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Land is quickly claimed in Xanadu... As for the fences, for now the simple option is to leave them as is since falling nodes become entities when dropping and the expanded node box confuses them into not landing...

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Fences ought to stop caught mobs (i.e. sheep) from escaping - and that's about it. With mobf, that works pretty well - even with normal fences. Keeping players out...there's no point in that. Built in singleplayer if you don't want to meet other players.
A list of my mods can be found here.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Sokomine wrote:...
Keeping players out...there's no point in that.
but fences are usefull for signalling someone got plans for this area

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

twoelk wrote: but fences are usefull for signalling someone got plans for this area
If it's a fence post with a sign attached saying so - fair enough :-) Other than that, area protection ought to be enough as well. Except that it's hard to do with those 5x5x5 protectors...

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Sokomine wrote:Keeping players out...there's no point in that
I agree. It seems bizarre to me when I see people on chat shouting at someone to "Get out of my house!!!" Why are you on a public server if you don't want people to see what you are building?
I saw some beautiful constructions when I was out exploring in Xanadu that were locked up tight so that I couldn't get into them. That seems to defeat the whole purpose of being on a public server.

Protect your stuff, by all means. And since there is no way to have a shared locked chest, I understand why people would build an inaccessible vault of some sort. But other than that, I can't see any reason not to let other people explore what you build.

But, thats just my opinion. Different strokes for different folks.
Sokomine wrote:area protection ought to be enough as well. Except that it's hard to do with those 5x5x5 protectors...
I've been trying to think of what would be a better system than the 11x11x11 protector blocks, and right now I'm playing with the idea of protector blocks that can be placed at the corners of an area, and then will protect everything between them. Not entirely certain how to implement it yet, but thinking about it.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Another 2 cents by me... (I'd save quite a bit if those were real )))

If all people would've been so nice to not touch anything while visiting, then there wouldn't have been any "protectors" :) Ok, there still would. But the point is, how can anyone be sure that a visitor is not a thief or a griefer?
Xanadu is a good place to hang out - people are mostly nice. But there are other places/servers.

As for the fences... well, what if I want everyone to come inside, not to jump inside?
Is it better to have some devises to make someone to show a little "respect" than create a fence which looks nice ad is self explanatory? I'd even leave the fence gate open just to say "come in, through here" :)
There can be many reasons (like plants, holes... even mobs) to want other to go through the door.
Anyway, is it wrong to have a little space outdoors which is inaccessible for those who can't learn to walk?

Also, why mobf's mobs can't jump over the fence? Is it even "fair" that a player can do it and a mob can't? I'm writing this 'cause someone was concerned about "reality" and the fact that in real life you can jump over a fence of just 1 meter. And what another mobs? Changing fences may help many mobs to behave like we expect them to w/o having to update every mod that adds mobs.

Shared locked chests... there were at least 3 implementations. The latest one was made by Krock. Why not add such thing to the ethereal?

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

4aiman wrote:Shared locked chests... there were at least 3 implementations. The latest one was made by Krock. Why not add such thing to the ethereal?
It IS a major problem. My son and I had to jump through hoops to arrange shared chest space. You can't even just put a chest behind a locked door because no one can go through the locked door except the person who created it.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Kilarin wrote: agree. It seems bizarre to me when I see people on chat shouting at someone to "Get out of my house!!!" Why are you on a public server if you don't want people to see what you are building?
I find that strange as well. Though I have to admit that I once asked a player to leave my house - after that player had stolen several things out of furnaces, was standing in the way and even attacked me. Such misbehaving people aside (who require attention from the moderators anyway), visitors are more than welcome to all of my houses.
Kilarin wrote: I saw some beautiful constructions when I was out exploring in Xanadu that were locked up tight so that I couldn't get into them. That seems to defeat the whole purpose of being on a public server.
Yes :-( That's a real pity. Locked doors *may* fit as a building material in some situations...as long as the builder remembers to leave at least one open for visitors. Furnaces can of course be protected that way. They'll only cover a tiny room, and visitors can peek inside through the windows in the door.
Kilarin wrote: I've been trying to think of what would be a better system than the 11x11x11 protector blocks, and right now I'm playing with the idea of protector blocks that can be placed at the corners of an area, and then will protect everything between them. Not entirely certain how to implement it yet, but thinking about it.
Hm, why? The areas mod is perfect in that regard. Except that it's command syntax is hard to memorize. But that's what I wrote my markers mod for. Perhaps adding a special block that protects an area of 10x10x10 or 16x16x16 like the landrush and protector mods do might help those people who want something even easier.
4aiman wrote: If all people would've been so nice to not touch anything while visiting, then there wouldn't have been any "protectors" :) Ok, there still would. But the point is, how can anyone be sure that a visitor is not a thief or a griefer?
The diffrent protector mods have their justification. The additional benefit is that you can see who built something without having to look for locked chests or other secret hints. It also offers protection from griefing. Stealing...locked furnaces may be more than enough to solve that problem.
4aiman wrote: I'd even leave the fence gate open just to say "come in, through here" :)
That's good then :-) Else, people might trample on the poor plants in the garden.
4aiman wrote: Also, why mobf's mobs can't jump over the fence? Is it even "fair" that a player can do it and a mob can't? I'm writing this 'cause someone was concerned about "reality" and the fact that in real life you can jump over a fence of just 1 meter. And what another mobs? Changing fences may help many mobs to behave like we expect them to w/o having to update every mod that adds mobs.
Regarding reality...if they really want to, most animals may be able to jump over a fence in real life if they have enough reason to do so. In Minetest, fences may both be decorative and practical. They could be indicators for cooperative mobs that they ought to stay inside. Doesn't work with simple mobs anyway - they'll escape everywhere - if in doubt, sheep will stack on each other's back and escape over your 5 m high fence. Or despawn.
4aiman wrote: Shared locked chests... there were at least 3 implementations. The latest one was made by Krock. Why not add such thing to the ethereal?
Are you able to locate the posts? I'm thinking about adding a simple one as well (based on land ownership like the one in landrush is) - plus a way to up/downgrade chests from normal to locked to shared by applying a steel ingot each - without having to dig the chest first.

As far as Xanandu goes, by now I'm afraid building something large and expecting it to be protected the same way as I'd expect it to be protected on a server like VanessaE's may be abuse of this server here on my side. Perhaps as grave as attacking players where it's forbidden (except that I didn't see an explicit rule that forbids good buildings; and there are several large, impressive and good ones on the server). I've lost buildings twice due to map changes here. Then, those good textures, the impressive work TenPlus1 did, and some other very good buildings tempted me to built a house on the server again. By now, the house is griefed horribly. While it is not particulary large, it is bigger than 10x10 m, with protectors difficult to set up due to overlapping of regions. TenPlus1 just shrugged when I asked for rollback, and the server owner seems not to be able to do that either due to lack of knowledge. So, this is a huge discrepancy of expectations between both parties (server owners/mods and me). I planned to repair the house once and then use it in singleplayer, but in the meantime it has been griefed even more. My local copy may be more intact (just did a copy before connecting this time), and it'll be better to repair that one.
Kilarin wrote: It IS a major problem. My son and I had to jump through hoops to arrange shared chest space. You can't even just put a chest behind a locked door because no one can go through the locked door except the person who created it.
Some other players invented a clever solution to that problem: Just let everyone who ought to have access there place his/her own door :-)

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

4aiman wrote:why mobf's mobs can't jump over the fence? Is it even "fair" that a player can do it and a mob can't?
I'm not certain which mobs belong to which mod, but I have build several floating biomes in my treehouse in Xanadu. Large enough that they spawn hostile mobs. So I built a fence and door so I can lock them out of the other areas. But, at 2 nodes high, frost spiders were still jumping over it. :)
Sokomine wrote:Furnaces can of course be protected that way.
I haven't tested it, but I thought TenPlus1 told me that furnaces in Xanadu are protected by the protection mod and can only be used by people on the list when they are in a protected area.
Sokomine wrote:The areas mod is perfect in that regard.
I haven't looked at the areas mod, sounds like it might do exactly what I was wanting. I'll take a peek.
Sokomine wrote: with protectors difficult to set up due to overlapping of regions.
I started with the advantage of building far enough away from the crowd that I didn't have to worry about overlapping regions to begin with. Although my son and I did have a conflict just the other night where I was trying to protect an unprotected spot, and it overlapped with a place where HE had placed the protector. Solution: I just dug down several nodes until my new region met his instead of overlapping it.

Would sure be nice if protectors that ran into another region just STOPPED there, but I can see some real programming difficulties in determining which protector was first and had priority.

Anyway, protectors aren't perfect, but they are relatively easy to use and are working for me right now.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Sokomine wrote:Just let everyone who ought to have access there place his/her own door
Oh, and I forgot to say, that is exactly the same solution my son came up with. So we now have a shared chest vault with two different sets of double steel doors.