[Mod] Ethereal [1.16] [ethereal]

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

Update!
Hearty Stew has been removed as have frost saplings.
Grass Blocks now turn to their biomes color preserving each biomes beauty. Thanks to Sokomine for the color change.
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

Neon
In-game: Neon

by Neon » Post

BUG: dirt_with_grass is turning biome-centric colors in jungle biomes.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Neon wrote: BUG: dirt_with_grass is turning biome-centric colors in jungle biomes.
May happen to a degree in already generated areas - especially at the borders of biomes. There, the colored grass may "win". In the center of such green-grass-areas, grass ought to turn into the new green variant.
A list of my mods can be found here.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Fixed unknown item bug when chopping mushroom top, now gives mushroom top with chance of mushroom plant, also chopping strawberry bush now gives 3 strawberries :) new "init.lua" file attached... Great mod btw...
Attachments

[The extension lua has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Quick note: I cannot seem to find papyrus spawning anywhere on the map which makes paper recipe's hard to craft... Any chance of adding papyrus in say a sand or desert biome inside an oasis with normal dirt_with_grass for it to grow on ?? :)

Also, Simple Mobs mod is having trouble spawning mobs with no dirt_with_grass around, so I've changed the init.lua for simple mobs to spawn the monsters on the coloured dirt for ethereal mod itself, please find attached... (sand monsters now spawn on sandstone, dirt monsters on gray topped dirt and sheep on green topped dirt :)
Attachments

Last edited by TenPlus1 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

TenPlus1 wrote: I cannot seem to find papyrus spawning anywhere on the map
That's a side effect of the new type of green grass and dirt taking on the color of the sourrounding area. Papyrus needs to be re-added. That can be done like with all the other plants.
TenPlus1 wrote: dirt monsters on gray topped dirt and sheep on green topped dirt :)
If it weren't for the tree monsters, the green area might be a friendly one to stay in :-)

I hope the growing function for trees and mushrroms will sone be added. Hmmm was so kind to introduce a function to Minetest that allows to place those trees/mushrooms without replacing existing nodes. All it takes now for ethereal to regrow such plants is some saplings and a bit of simple code.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Chinchow: how about a prarie biome that has grass_with_dirt as main soil top and different coloured floweres growing all over so that users can make use of the dye, and at the waters edge the papyrus growing tall so we have paper :) one biome to fix all the problems with missing items :)

Neon

by Neon » Post

That biome is likely to have it's dirt overwritten by neighboring biomes, due to the recent fix to dirt planted within an existing biome

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

TenPlus1 wrote: Chinchow: how about a prarie biome that has grass_with_dirt as main soil top and different coloured floweres growing all over so that users can make use of the dye, and at the waters edge the papyrus growing tall so we have paper :) one biome to fix all the problems with missing items :)
That won't work that way. The normal dirt with grass is now a node that exists only for a moment - until it decides what color to turn into. It is no longer intended for normal map-use. Instead, flowers and other plants (especially papyrus) ought to be spawned the same way other plants are spawned. Ethereal already does it with other plants. Only thing that really won't work that way is the spread of the flowers. But even that could be changed if flowers are made aware of the fact that group:ethereal_grass is a nice place to grow on...

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ah, I assumed the dirt_with_grass was only replaced near and around other coloured dirt, but that's fine... Adding the prairie biome with all flowers and papyrus will be just as good so players can get access to those items...

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Another quick bug fix, you now hear grass sounds when walking around the biomes, and wood sounds when walking on frost wood... init.lua file attached...

Also, a prairie biome has been added that contains all flowers... mapgen_v7.lua file attached...
Attachments

Last edited by TenPlus1 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

TenPlus1 wrote: Also, a prairie biome has been added that contains all flowers... mapgen_v7.lua file attached...
The flowers mod might still need to be updated/adapted as well - else the flowers will not spread. Given how dense the vegetation is with this mapgen, it's probably less important.

It would be nice if saplings could be added so that the trees and mushrooms will really grow. Currently there are only saplings for the frost trees. The other ones ought to be re-growable as well. Or shall I add the basic code for that as an attachment so that only the textures need to be added?

Neon

by Neon » Post

IMH[Experience], there are no frost-tree saplings dropped from frost-tree leaves. how else are you supposed to get those saplings? (Once again, IMHE) this mod doesn't have any special sapling drops at all.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The mod used to have frost tree saplings dropped from frost tree leaves. They caused a bug when trying (and failing) to grow. This can now be solved.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

A few updates (sending them here was easier than via PN as that allows no attachments):

Trees and mushrooms can now be re-grown from saplings. The nodes for the saplings are created in case they're not defined yet. There are no textures for most of the saplings so far; Chinchow has promised to add them :-) Almost all trees grow only on dirt of their native biome - except for the gray trees. Those are used to so few ressources that they can be grown on any soil.

Perhaps you do know the allfaces_tree or all-sides-grassblocks from other mods. These exist now for the diffrent dirt with grass types of the ethereal biomes, are called "moss" and can be crafted by combining dirt with frost leaves, red mushroom top, dry shrub (fiery), snowygrass (gray) or jungleleaves (green). The moss does not change color and can be used as a block for building.

In order to get something to craft the moss blocks with, and because some biomes are a bit plant-less, I've added dry shrub for the fiery biome (normal dry shrub turned reddish) and snowygrass (normal junglegrass turned white and made smaller). Both types of plant are fire-resistant in order to avoid costy bushfires.

I hope this will be approved and included in the main version. Until then, you can include it by adding

Code: Select all

dofile(minetest.get_modpath("ethereal").."/saplings.lua")
dofile(minetest.get_modpath("ethereal").."/all_faces_grass.lua")
to the init.lua in the ethereal folder.
Attachments
new_textures.zip
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

Update!
Sound the trumpets an update!
Merging all the contributions from Sokomine TenPlus1, and a new cave biome this update is jampacked with new features!
Features:
Decorative Grass Blocks
Two new grasses
Growing Saplings
A Prairie Biome
A Cave Biome
And More!

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Chinchow wrote:Update!
Sound the trumpets an update!
Merging all the contributions from Sokomine TenPlus1, and a new cave biome this update is jampacked with new features!
Features:
Decorative Grass Blocks
Two new grasses
Growing Saplings
A Prairie Biome
A Cave Biome
And More!
Are these updates on your server as of now?

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

TenPlus1 the only things I can complain about there are Crystal Ingots, which should be some form of crystal, and Glostone. To be honest I never liked glowstone so. Other than that I like it.

Neon

by Neon » Post

Cross-Posting from the Updating Colors.txt thread:

I couldn't find a wiki article on this. Here are the colors for the Ethereal mod

Code: Select all

ethereal:frost_leaves 170 75 170
ethereal:frost_tree 86 58 31
ethereal:mushroom_trunk 170 170 170
ethereal:mushroom 170 50 25
ethereal:crystal_topped_dirt 25 75 170
ethereal:mushroom_dirt 170 75 170
ethereal:fiery_dirt_top 170 50 25
ethereal:gray_dirt_top 170 170 170
ethereal:green_dirt_top 107 134 51

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

Can you put this mod into some kind of modern vcs (hg or git) you can find free hosts all over the internet (bitbucket and github would be two examples) or just host them yourself. That would help you with development and others with understanding what happens and contributing. (Additionally this would enable you to use the mmdb)
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Iqualfragile wrote:Can you put this mod into some kind of modern vcs (hg or git) you can find free hosts all over the internet (bitbucket and github would be two examples) or just host them yourself. That would help you with development and others with understanding what happens and contributing. (Additionally this would enable you to use the mmdb)
It is generally a good idea for mod authors to do this sort of thing.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Can this mod use more trees like those from moretrees?
(I don't want moretrees with their huge models, just the types of trees added there.)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

4aiman wrote: Can this mod use more trees like those from moretrees?
Both mods use completely diffrent ways of adding trees. Moretrees uses L-system, while ethereal operates with schematics. Adding a new tree for ethereal can basicly be done by saving a suitable tree with WorldEdit - plus a bit of code for spawning it, perhaps a new wood/leaves node, sapling code...

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

I really like the thick jungles, and the plantlike drawtype for leaves.
Last edited by paramat on Wed Mar 19, 2014 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Sokomine wrote:Both mods use completely diffrent ways of adding trees. Moretrees uses L-system, while ethereal operates with schematics. Adding a new tree for ethereal can basicly be done by saving a suitable tree with WorldEdit - plus a bit of code for spawning it, perhaps a new wood/leaves node, sapling code...
I didn't want to have moretrees trees as they are. All I wanted is to have spruces, apple tees, oaks etc. I don't care how'd they look ()although moretrees' trees are way to big if you'd ask me :)

I've tried to add schematics, but have found that those are binary files, not "text" ones.
Does exporting with world edit will create needed format? Otherwise, how can I create a new schematic file?

Also, is it possible to rotate decorations (from a schematics file)?
If not, then should I use 4 different files to rotate one "model"?