[Mod] Simple Shooter [0.5.3] [shooter]

stu
GitHub: stujones11

Re: [Mod] Simple Shooter [0.5.3] [shooter]

by stu » Post

injinji wrote:found a bug, if you place a torch on grass and then shoot the grass with a rifle, the torch will float until you break it with your hand.
I am not sure if there is anything I can do about that but I will look into it, thanks for the report.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Are you using dig_node or whatever, the one to dig a node as a player?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

stu

by stu » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Are you using dig_node or whatever, the one to dig a node as a player?
It is currently using remove_node so that is why the torch does not drop, however, something tells me there was a good reason for not using dig_node. I just cannot quite remember what that was =)

BTW, since you are, probably, the biggest user of this mod (CTF) I'd be interested to know how you feel about bruno's idea to split it into a modpack. https://github.com/stujones11/shooter/pull/22

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

• A sniper gun with a scope - possibly using zoom
  • Faster bullets

Hello profile reader

stu

by stu » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
  • A sniper gun with a scope - possibly using zoom
  • Faster bullets
A scope gun using zoom is on my todo list for the next release but afaik fov_zoom is still an in-dev feature.

Faster bullets should already be possible to some extent by tweaking the levels. However, I do plan to further optimise the bullet physics, possibly using the 'new' ray-casting methods over my current Lua implementation. I need to do some careful profiling to see exactly how that effects performance. Once again, this relies on in-dev features so like some of my others mods, development is pretty much on hold until the next MT release.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Oops, my previous post was quite rude. I just copied and pasted what a player asked me for without adding a message. No rush anyway, thanks for this great mod

Hello profile reader

stu

by stu » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Oops, my previous post was quite rude. I just copied and pasted what a player asked me for without adding a message. No rush anyway, thanks for this great mod
lol, no worries, I just read it as a simple feature request but did wonder if you had perhaps missed a part. I did not think it was rude, I know that's not your style :)

stu

by stu » Post

Re: faster bullets, looking back at the code, I think that the bullets are already pretty fast. Essentially the speed is determined by the`SHOOTER_ROUNDS_UPDATE_TIME` config and the individual gun def `step` size. So with the default update time of 0.4 and a step-size of 50 the bullet effectively travels 50 nodes in 0.4 seconds. In reality, however, if the target is less than step-size distance away then the hit is almost instant (as far as it can be).

This makes me wonder if your player was either (a) experiencing the effects of server lag or (b) is referring to the bullet animation, which is simply a particle effect and has no relation to actual hit response time. I guess I should at least make the particle velocity relative to the step/time.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

i play ctf and know for a fact the bullets are slow, at long range (20+ meters) you can easily dodge them, so you have to aim where the enemy will be, not where they are.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD

by HONEYBOOBOOCHILD » Post

What is the max ranger for bullets?
I see "range=" in "guns.lua" but it seems like the range is limited to somewhere around 100 nodes.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

At first : Thanks for this great mod. The best about it IMO is the Crossbow, I like how you made the arrows :)
At second, if I get you right, your weapons haven't got instant hit, but instead are just very fast(better solution) ? But you are using vectors. => You are using recursive minetest.after(shotspeed,check_hit) or like that ?
Or am I wrong ? Are you using globalsteps ? AFAIK minetest after is better...
Thanks in advance, I'm currently working on another firearms mod...
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Could you allow other mods to override and un-register registered weapons?
I'm doing a game which uses this mod and I'm trying to handle everything from custom mods to avoid having to deal with license headaches

I find the crossbow arrows are unrealistically slow btw. A velocity increase would be nice, might need an increased step too, not sure
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I've applied a bug fix at github to the shooter code to fix an incorrect group for the machinegun recipie. Thanks @Lone_Wolf for helping me with git basics. I haven't really worked with it in the past.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:Could you allow other mods to override and un-register registered weapons?
I'm doing a game which uses this mod and I'm trying to handle everything from custom mods to avoid having to deal with license headaches
Should have looked a little closer at the API
shooter.registered_weapons
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)