[Mod] markers - gui for areas mod [0.2][markers]

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

Re: [Mod] markers - gui for areas mod [0.2][markers]

by Kilarin » Post

I would humbly like to offer a pull request to the markers mod.

https://github.com/Sokomine/markers/pull/7

I think you have an excellent point Sokomine that some users have a difficult time marking an area by picking out opposite corners. And I believe that your markers mod is a very clever way of addressing that issue.

But when I was experimenting with it, I realized that I was having a difficult time getting my markers into a perfect rectangle, and all at the same level. And when I was thinking about it, I realized that with a small change, markers might be even MORE intuitive to use.

What this change does is alter markers so that the user doesn't have to worry about trying to get a rectangle at all. They just plop down markers, as many as they wish, at all of the extremes of their build. They can even build a "fence" of markers around the build if they wish. They can also place markers at the lowest and highest points of the build they wish to protect.

Then, when the user right clicks on ANY of these markers, the code just runs through a quick loop and calculates the opposite corners of a 3d box that contains all of those markers. And THAT becomes the basis of the area to be protected.

For example, here I've built a really simple (and not very pretty) house:

But oh! How shall I mark it for protection? it's not square, and it's not all on the same level and basic geometry confuses me!

Never fear, I just plop down markers all around the house, being certain to hit all of the extremities and have at least one marker at the lowest point and one marker at the highest point:

Now I right click on ANY of those markers and:
The calculated points, (179,26,-2) and (191,34,9) are the minimum and maximum corners of a cube that contains every single marker placed. There aren't even markers at those positions, but the program calculated them for me. I still have the option to extend the protected zone up and down from marked positions, but now the "above" number is for extending above 34 (the y value of the highest placed marker) and the "below" value is for extending below 26 (the y value of the lowest placed marker)

I feel that this takes your already great idea for markers, and makes it even easier and more intuitive to use.

Take a look at it and see what you think Sokomine.

afflatus
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Post

Kilarin I really like your idea. My younger players have trouble placing markers in a rectangle in the right order. Older players tend to find the chat commands easier. This would balance things out a bit.
Grailtest is stirring ...

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

The Kilarin work is awesome, i hope it will be merged soon !

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Thanks to Kilarin, this pull request (and another one about sorting areas by those nearest first) have been merged. Having more flexibility with placing the markers is certainly a good idea.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Thank you kindly Sokomine, but just a small change to a GREAT mod! :)

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

I'm a bit sleep deprived, so I'm going to post this here first:

Code: Select all

14:44:44: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: /home/tim/.minetest/mods/markers/areas.lua:7: attempt to perform arithmetic on global 'factor' (a nil value)
14:44:44: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
14:44:44: ERROR[main]: 	/home/tim/.minetest/mods/markers/areas.lua:7: in function 'interpolate'
14:44:44: ERROR[main]: 	/home/tim/.minetest/mods/markers/areas.lua:116: in function </home/tim/.minetest/mods/markers/areas.lua:115>
14:44:44: ERROR[main]: 	[C]: in function 'sort'
14:44:44: ERROR[main]: 	/home/tim/.minetest/mods/markers/areas.lua:119: in function 'get_area_list_formspec'
14:44:44: ERROR[main]: 	/home/tim/.minetest/mods/markers/areas.lua:683: in function 'form_input_handler_areas'
14:44:44: ERROR[main]: 	/home/tim/.minetest/mods/markers/init.lua:486: in function '?'
'factor' appears not to be defined anywhere. This is the nearsorter function.
Um ... ?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

afflatus wrote: I'm a bit sleep deprived, so I'm going to post this here first:
It got introduced with the sort-areas-by-distance pull request. VanessaE has reported it as well, and I've fixed it now. So, if you use markers: Please update!

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

Quick sit rep.

Still using markers on my server.
No problems apart from my own stupidity in configuring areas properly.
This mod makes it possible for newer / younger players to protect their buildings. My server doesn't (and will not) use money and I don't find land-grabbing an issue, in fact I tend to have to encourage players to think ahead and protect large enough areas, so they don't bust their quota.

Thanks.

fireglow
IRC: fireglow
In-game: fireglow

by fireglow » Post

I'm wondering:
Why does the setting "markers.MAX_SIZE" exist?
A similar setting is already present in areas: self_protection_max_size in areas/settings.lua
Since this mod is to be understood as a GUI/extension for areas, shouldn't markers use the settings in areas?
I've stumbled across this because I've tried to increase the max_size for my players, and found that there are two settings for adjusting this value.

mgl
GitHub: mgl512

by mgl » Post

I've seen the markers being used for grief : a player left a trail of them on his path to nowhere and it seems another one used them like unbreakable cobble in PvP to prevent the escape of his prey. You can craft tens of them easily and other players can't destroy them for a long time. You have to use WorldEdit to remove them.

I think moderators (i.e people with the "kick" privilege") should be able to destroy them immediately. And for other players, it shouldn't be days before they can destroy someone else's markers. You need unbreakable markers only for a few minutes when you're doing an area. And maybe it should be faster to break them by hand because they are as hard as tree.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Minor bugfix (security related). Please update! If you want to use per world configuration files, please note that the format of the config file has been changed to the standard Minetest configuration file format.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Megver83 wrote: Hi, just wanted to say that all images have disappear (seems like the website where you uploaded them disappeared). Fortunately, they are all in the Wayback Machine
Aaah! That's an excellent idea. Thank you! This saves me the trouble to search the images on my disk, locate which was which, try to find a place to store them (only 3 allowed per forum post, and Github documentation is more work), update them etc. Excellent idea :-) So: Thanks again!

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

I haven't tried this mod out yet, but what about using gold to buy a plot?
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.