Awesome, thanks!

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: [Mod] River / mountain range mapgen [0.4.3] [watershed]

by paramat » Post

Version 0.4.3
Not very exciting but a significant increase in mapgen speed so i should mention it.
I recently discovered the voxelmanip volume always includes a one mapblock (16^3 nodes) thick shell around the mapchunk (80^3 nodes) being generated, this explains why my trees are rarely chopped off when extending beyond the mapchunk being generated.
This enables me to use the voxelmanip instead of 'minetest.get_node' for scanning the chunk below to see if it is generated, and to set the initial values of the stability table for each xy plane being generated. On my slow laptop this is saving 0.5 seconds in a 4 second mapchunk generation time.
Another minor change is i am using the 'sidelen' variable instead of '80', so the mapgen should be compatible with a configured mapchunk size other than 5 mapblocks, although beware the spawnplayer function is still dependant on a mapchunk size of 5 mapblocks.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Thanks for the updates paramat. ;)

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Variable zoom 3D minimap in development.
Last edited by paramat on Sun Feb 15, 2015 23:51, edited 2 times in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Found an item of interest in a 1:16 zoomed 3D map.
In a watershed world with the same seed, multiply all co-ordinates by 16, teleport:

Initial version of mini-mapgen here at github https://github.com/paramat/watershedmini
Last edited by paramat on Sun Feb 15, 2015 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

WOW! Kudos to you, Paramat! this map gen is out of this world! I was trying to creep out way away from 0,0,0 and found this at 7000 nodes away:

I am so glad I found this mod, these are the landscapes I want to build on!
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

The Pieces are Finally Coming Together

For quite a long while now, I've been evaluating and collecting mods to combine into one, special, main, singleplayer world that I could retreat to and relax in.

Watershed's mapgen is the foundation of that new world.

Now if you've ever tried to add landscape mods to Watershed generated world, you will have discovered that Watershed is incompatible with most of them. The landscape mods require nodes that do not exist in Watershed. The landscape mods, including Watershed have to be customized to work together.

Back when Watershed was in it's v0.2.9 stage, I made an attempt to add my favorite tree and plant mods to Watershed. The results were encouraging. However, Watershed's development was still tumultuous so I decided to wait till things stabilized a bit.

About the time of v0.4.1, I felt comfortable enough with Watershed's stage of development to take another crack at setting things up. Finally I've been able put many of my notes and ideas into motion for this project.

The following screenshots are from the prototype, "scouting/surveying/overview-map making/planning" version of my new world. No builds, just beautiful scenery. (Three worlds total, a "tinkering" version for testing and trying mods, a "scouting" version for exploring, and the main world itself. Yeah, I'm serious about this project.)

Landscaping Mods Used * I see VanessaE has very recently incorporated Ferns and DryPlants into PlantLife and has made some code updates.

Many thanks to Blockmen/PilzAdam, MirceaKitsune, Mossmanikin, Bas080, VanessaE, and especially paramat for creating the mods that make my long-time Minetest dream a [virtual] reality. ; )

Fog Banks

One of the many features of Watershed are fog banks. Here is a day-time shot of a tiny island engulfed in a fog bank. On the island is a solitary, MoreTrees fir tree. The island next to it has apple trees from MoreTrees. In the background is a Watershed snow biome and conifers along with some MoreTrees spruce, firs, and pines. In the foreground left, are plants from two mods, Ferns and DryPlants.

On a Dark and Spooky Night...

The same scene in a night-shot. The fog makes things look more spooky at night. It would be great to be able to add this fog to haunted builds and graveyards.

Extreme and Fantastic

In the foreground are Watershed's signature acacia trees and drygrass. However, the most defining feature of them all is Watershed's extreme terrain. In the background you can see MoreTrees beech, oak, and giant sequoia trees growing atop of Watershed's high-altitude floatlands.

Serene and Not-So Extreme

Not all of Watershed's landscapes are extreme verticals. Watershed also generates rolling hills and vast seas. Here is a serene night-shot with acacia trees and drygrass in the foreground. Watershed's jungletrees, Fern's tree ferns, and MoreTrees palms from edge-to-edge in the middle-ground. paramat's fork of Conifers produced the tall, slender trees jutting out against the nighttime sky in the background.

Tinkering, Persistance, and Level-Upon-Level of Scenic Beauty

As you have seen already, Watershed and other flora mods can be made compatible with each other,... with some tinkering. Persistence pays off with views like this natural apple orchard at the base of floatlands, under a thick MInetest cloud, under the thin, cirrostratus clouds of Watershed, under even more plant and tree covered floatlands.

The Stuff Fantasy Stories are Made of

Looking down from far above, you can see that the high-altitude floatlands are by no means barren. Ranging from a small cluster of stone to islands large enough to build farms, villages, and towns on, Watershed's floatlands present many creative possibilities. Imagine connecting the populated islands with bridges, water ways, and fanciful airships. For the sculptors of Minetest, envision riding large, winged creatures from one floatland province to another.

Are You Up to the Challenge?

Watershed is a radical and stunning break from the typical mapgen that most Minetest players are accustomed to. Watershed embodies "epic".

Are you up to the challenge?

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Those are some really cool screenshots, LazyJ! Looks like you've put a lot of work into making those mods work together well. Sounds like you also rather like the floatlands that appear in the skies. Have you considered trying to put an official (float/sky)land mod into your world? Last time I tested them, MoreTrees, plantlife, farming_plus (or at least its trees), and vines all do work in several of the biomes of SkyLands.

It will take a long time, if ever, for my prototype mapgen to get as good as watershed...
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

Cryterion
GitHub: Cryterion
IRC: Cryterion
In-game: Cryterion

by Cryterion » Post

Had a good look at this, and yes really like it, would have liked to use it on a server, but unfortunately due to mapgen time, I can't :(

Keep up the good work, I hope this gets to a point where it can be used as a replacement to mg. I did notice it overlays itself if you have mg running as well. found a mg snow layer underneath it.

Cryterion
No trees or animals were hurt in the production of this message. However, a large number of Electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

LazyJ, the mod below adds seaweed and coral to oceans:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4627
For a link to the GitHub version of it, look below:
https://github.com/HybridDog/sea

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Good post LazyJ, stunning screenshots, i really like your translucent fog, by default i had to use opaque fog for speed.

Seems like a long time since i found a volcano, anyone else seen one? i may have set the parameter wrong, it's very sensitive to change, easy to make volcanos non-existant. I'm considering including volcanos into the minimap so they can be located. If i change the volcano parameter this is unlikely to result in any visible mess in your worlds as they are so rare.

Now a warning in the next version i am going to increase the scale of the biome noises temperature and humidity, this will cause a few straight-edged biomes, or you can continue to use the current parameters if you prefer. The full history of the mod is available at github so you can always find old parameters.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Paramat, could you please post this mod in the forums of Freeminer (proller and xyz's fork of Minetest?)

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

No need, i expect most Freeminer users are here also, this mod may not be completely compatible.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

paramat wrote:No need, i expect most Freeminer users are here also, this mod may not be completely compatible.
It's not, apparently:
http://forum.freeminer.org/threads/was- ... miner.170/

paramat
Developer

Re: [Mod] River / mountain range mapgen [0.5.0] [watershed]

by paramat » Post

Version 0.5.0 (0.5.x in progress)
'Update liquids' is now used to make rivers flow, therefore i have also made freshwater have a range of 2 instead of zero.
Adjusted volcano parameters to make them more common, they appear along mountain ridges spaced by roughly 1kn.
A new chat command '/regen' will regenerate the player's current chunk, requires 'server' or 'rollback' privs.
Soon there will also be a matching 'watershedmini' mod that is a 3D map of the watershed world with variable zoom. Currently that mod is here https://github.com/paramat/watershedmini but needs updating.

Biomes have now been doubled in size, those of you with existing worlds may prefer to continue to use the smaller biomes, if so edit the temperature and humidity noise parameters in the init.lua file, return the 'spread's to 512 like this:

Code: Select all

-- 3D noise for temperature

local np_temp = {
	offset = 0,
	scale = 1,
	spread = {x=512, y=512, z=512},
	seed = 9130,
	octaves = 3,
	persist = 0.5
}

-- 3D noise for humidity

local np_humid = {
	offset = 0,
	scale = 1,
	spread = {x=512, y=512, z=512},
	seed = -55500,
	octaves = 3,
	persist = 0.5
}
Using the new biome size will cause a few straight edged biomes in your exisitng world, no other 0.5.0 changes will cause a visible mess in an existing world unless you're unlucky enough to have half a volcano form, but that is unlikely since they are so rare.

On my new computer (Intel Core i5-4670T processor) chunk generation time has dropped to roughly 2s.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Added volcanos to the 3D map https://github.com/paramat/watershedmini
Also there is now a unique node for each of the 9 biomes, any biome with trees has that tree's leaves as the map node.
The default zoom factor is 16 so this is a mapblock resolution map. The map matches watershed 0.5.0 so just multiply map X and Z co-ordinates by 16 to get the corresponding co-ordinates in watershed.
Soon i will place the map high above the clouds and spawn the player there, currently having the clouds visible looks wrong and is a problem if you want to fly up and get an overhead view of the map.
Last edited by paramat on Sun Feb 15, 2015 23:55, edited 3 times in total.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

LazyJ, do you plan to upload your modifications to watershed as a fork of it? Even VanessaE might be interested in it if you do.

LazyJ

by LazyJ » Post

Inocudom wrote:LazyJ, do you plan to upload your modifications to watershed as a fork of it?
At this time I don't have any plans to upload this personal-retreat project. I've set stuff up specifically for use only in a creative-mode, singleplayer world that, because of all the extra plant mods growing and decaying ABMs and other custom ABMs of my own, requires a strong computer.

Inocudom wrote:... Even VanessaE might be interested in it if you do.
VanessaE and paramat have been chatting about mapgen stuff and her coding skills are light-years ahead of mine. If Vanessa wanted to setup of a Watershed-based server, she could do it very easily (and much better without my kludge code). ;)

Dwarf

by Dwarf » Post

Is this compatible with simple mobs? I haven't found anything alive yet in my new watershed world that I've been wandering for an hour+. C:

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Dwarf wrote:Is this compatible with simple mobs? I haven't found anything alive yet in my new watershed world that I've been wandering for an hour+. C:
I seriously doubt it. Watershed uses custom nodes.

Dwarf

by Dwarf » Post

Inocudom wrote: I seriously doubt it. Watershed uses custom nodes.

Well a lone sheep and a couple rats finally spawned, so it's at least partly compatible. Generating the landscape is really demanding on my ancient laptop so I was thinking it was only now getting around to the mobs?
It's definitely making it an interesting challenge to not starve to death (again lol) since I haven't found any apple trees yet. ;)

afflatus
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Post

I love the coal seams, but I'd like to find a way of having ores manifest in veins and come out nearer the surface (i.e. river valleys and such like). It's too disheartening to explore a whole fissure in the dark and find no ores at all. I'm finding it difficult to figure how densityper and ORETHI work together in order to change this and add more ores. I just downloaded HeroOfTheWinds "skylands" mod, which I will study for ideas.

I'm frustrated that it breaks nearly every other mod's register_on_generate hooks. It would be great if it were possible to get them to wait for this process to complete. I'm wondering how much pointless overwriting is happening if non-compatible mods are loaded.

The custom nodes are also irritating, but easier to change. ;-) I shall continue to resist the urge to write a mapgen from scratch. Thanks for an otherwise excellent mod. :-)

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

My advice is head for high ground, eventually you will reach a mountain range with lots of exposed stone, so easier to find a coal seam to make your first torches.
To make the ore seams wider increase TSEAM to 0.4, this will double the seam widths (making them 1/3rd the volume of their strata) and increase the chance of them intersecting fissures, so easier to find. Increasing ORETHI makes the seams taller (more ores) but not any easier to find.
You need to set dependancies to run this mod before any 'add node' mods, see viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2290&p=154789#p154631

afflatus
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Post

paramat wrote:You need to set dependancies to run this mod before any 'add node' mods, see viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2290&p=154789#p154631
Moving nodes.lua and the textures dir into a separate mod did the trick. This allowed me to scrub the stairs and bucket dependency. Thanks.

I'm now trying to figure how to do mountains (i.e. reducing vegetation & soil at higher elevations to reveal bare rock). Not quite as straightforward as I'd hoped.

Rivers aren't looking the way I want them - too much sand and too shallow. I'm getting some really wide shallow floodplains which look ugly. Also streams / rivers should have more bare rock in them and less sand at higher elevations. Could you explain how water level, sand-line and riverbed depth are calculated?

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Soil already thins with altitude, but not completely.
Line 284, add a ' * 3' after the grad, this will make soil thin out at a lower altitude, or try ' * 4' for a lower altitude.

local tstone = TSTONE * (1 + grad * 3) -- stone threshold
Line 276 controls the river channel cross section shape, try the following to change the shape of lowland river channels:

local canexp = 0.75 + terblen * 0.25

local canexp = 1
Lines 33 controls river depth:

local TRIVER = -0.028 -- Densitybase threshold for river surface
The more negative -> deeper but also wider.

Line 281 controls river sand, try the following for less at high altitudes:

local trsand = TRSAND * (n_absbase * 2 - 1) -- river sand
The whole river system was carefully tuned, each time you change one parameter you may need to adjust others to make things work.