[Mod] gs tools 0.6 [gs_tools]

gsmanners

[Mod] gs tools 0.6 [gs_tools]

by gsmanners » Post

Description: This is a group of tools I've been meaning to add to this game for a while.

License: WTFPL

Mod Dependencies: default
+ Spoiler
Changelog:
- 0.1b: I just found out that minetest.node_dig() doesn't bother to validate the digger. Yay, nil pointers!
- 0.1c: Does a bit more testing for whether we can dig a node. Supports protection.
- 0.2b: Workbench added.
- 0.3: Lots of fixes. Ladders added.
- 0.3b: Tweaked the ladders a bit to look a little less off-balance.
- 0.3c: Fixed the recipe conflict with moreblocks' cobble tile.
- 0.4: Lumber axe added. A few recipes and fixes also added.
- 0.5: Added the anvil.
- 0.5b: Anvil now supports my lumber axe.
- 0.5c: Changed the way in_use is handled to avoid a rare stuck condition.
- 0.6: Added torches and sugar coal.
- 0.6b: Fixed a formspec nil pointer problem.
- 0.6c: Supports the new format for Technic recipes.
- 0.6d: Supports the MT 0.4.10 UI changes. Adds charcoal dust to the grinder recipes (if you have Technic).
- 0.6e: Fixed a bug in the workbench alias analysis.
+ Spoiler
Attachments
gs_tools-0.6e.zip
(42.8 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
gs_tools-0.6d.zip
(42.8 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Last edited by gsmanners on Sat Aug 09, 2014 14:18, edited 14 times in total.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

It's a nice mod but it's possible to grief buildings with it.
It's also possible to dig chests and other nodes with items in it.
AAgh, that can destroy whole reserves of ores!!
Last edited by Krock on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Okay, I think this latest (0.1c) revision fixes the problem with chests (well, the ones that have stuff in them).

Feel free to let me know what other bugs this has. I'm sure there's heaps more.

EDIT: I've been playing with this for a few hours, now. This is definitely a sweet tool to have in your inventory. You still need a pick for the detail jobs, but this sledge is perfect for clearing out underground rooms or making tunnels. That used to be darned tedious, even with bronze picks.
Last edited by gsmanners on Sat Apr 05, 2014 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Workbench added. Please let me know if it has problems or if you think of something nifty it could do besides everything it already does.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Simply WOW!!!

The only issue I found is this:
So, some item names doesn't fit.

Anyway, I have some suggestions:
- could you add a feature for hiding the recipe? It may be some group in the item's definition, like groups = {..., hide_from_a_workbench=1}
- I think that recipe is too cheap. Such a workbench should be hard to get. But it's up to you do decide how to make this (if ever) - I don't want to tell you to depend on some mod or to make things like I want them :)

Regards!

Edit: Could you use get_width() and use player's "main" list width instead of assumed width of 8?
Last edited by 4aiman on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

LOL, ouch. 47 pages of stuff in enchantment, huh?

Yep, lots of room for improvement, I see. I'm also making hasty assumptions about the player's inventory, too. I'll have to rethink the layout for that. Might take a while for that.

I think there's already a standard group that I saw in zcg (not_in_craft_guide). I should probably add support for that.

If you think the recipe is too cheap, that's fine. I was toying with the idea of just making it a shapeless 4 wood recipe, but I thought nah that'll conflict with a lot of other stuff. So, do you think maybe putting a chest in the middle would help it out? I was thinking along those lines, too, but it's all about making the game fun.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

gs: your hammers support groups that aren't cracky right, because I'm bringing them into BFD.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19056 Solar Plains Dev Server

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

gsmanners wrote:LOL, ouch. 47 pages of stuff in enchantment, huh?
Yep, that's because I can't shorten digging time and/or damage dealt to players w/o registering new tools. It's impossible so switch definition on the fly for only 1 item. I've used tables and metadata for all enchantments but this two. And their pairs.
But it's also because "enchantment" is beta and that default group, which really does exist, is not added to this additional tools :)

As for wood and chest... Maybe some mese too? It's used to create mesecons and other circuits... and this table has some "logic" in it... Besides, mese is considered as an alien crystal.

Anyway, I haven't any good recipe idea for this, so I'm not the one to listen to on this behalf :)

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Jordach wrote:gs: your hammers support groups that aren't cracky right, because I'm bringing them into BFD.
Hammers also do lots of damage to fleshy, but they have a long swing time. You can also use them to knock down trees, but they go really slow at that.

The thing about enchantments (I think) is they always make the player a little OP and then you end up having to nerf and return, etc. It's probably more hassle than it's worth, really.

gsmanners

Re: [Mod] gs tools 0.5 [gs_tools]

by gsmanners » Post

Added anvils. I kind of like how anvils in Skyrim work, so they're kind of like that.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

Re:

by Jordach » Post

gsmanners wrote:
Jordach wrote:gs: your hammers support groups that aren't cracky right, because I'm bringing them into BFD.
Hammers also do lots of damage to fleshy, but they have a long swing time. You can also use them to knock down trees, but they go really slow at that.

The thing about enchantments (I think) is they always make the player a little OP and then you end up having to nerf and return, etc. It's probably more hassle than it's worth, really.
I sort of fixed the hammers digging things other than cracky, which is viewable here,

https://github.com/Jordach/big_freaking ... it.lua#L37
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19056 Solar Plains Dev Server

gsmanners

Re: [Mod] gs tools 0.5 [gs_tools]

by gsmanners » Post

I don't care about sledges knocking down things like choppy or crumbly since that's really what you'd expect from a sledge, anyway. It isn't an excavator, so it won't go as fast as that tool will (when I get around to adding it). You also don't want to waste time using the wrong tool, so it's a problem that fixes itself, IMHO.

gsmanners

Re: [Mod] gs tools 0.6 [gs_tools]

by gsmanners » Post

New torches (stone/clay/steel) for various types of lighting needs. Better torches spread the light better. And sugar coal.

markveidemanis

by markveidemanis » Post

Last edited by markveidemanis on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

That's the workbench, which is a part of this mod package.

markveidemanis

by markveidemanis » Post

Last edited by markveidemanis on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Interesting. All I can figure from that output is that you have crazy install that randomly trashes lua files.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Okay, I think I found the source of that crazy problem. If you have the LuaJIT support, you could get nil pointers flying around all over the place. Going to have to be doubly careful to check those things in the future.

trainwrecktony
In-game: trainwrecktony

by trainwrecktony » Post

got a different workbench crash on my server today

Code: Select all

09:58:10: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: c:\minetestdev\bin\..\games\twt\mods\gs_tools/workbench.lua:88: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)
09:58:10: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
09:58:10: ERROR[main]: 	[C]: in function 'pairs'
09:58:10: ERROR[main]: 	c:\minetestdev\bin\..\games\twt\mods\gs_tools/workbench.lua:88: in function 'load_crafts'
09:58:10: ERROR[main]: 	c:\minetestdev\bin\..\games\twt\mods\gs_tools/workbench.lua:513: in function 'workbench_formspec'
09:58:10: ERROR[main]: 	c:\minetestdev\bin\..\games\twt\mods\gs_tools/workbench.lua:873: in function <c:\minetestdev\bin\..\games\twt\mods\gs_tools/workbench.lua:752>
Server Owner trainwrecktony.serveminecraft.net:30000 irc.freenode.net ##minetest-trainwrecktony

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Okay, I just updated my copy of Technic. Woo boy, they did a number on my old recipe list. Going to have rethink my whole approach to caving and tech climbing from now on. Interesting, though.

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

Updated for the new look. Still working on the excavator...

trainwrecktony
In-game: trainwrecktony

by trainwrecktony » Post

6d and 6e both give me this error if i use anvil

Code: Select all

02:17:49: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: c:\minetestdev\bin\..\games\twt\mods\gs_tools/anvils.lua:178: attempt to concatenate field 'gui_slots' (a nil value)
02:17:49: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
02:17:49: ERROR[main]: 	c:\minetestdev\bin\..\games\twt\mods\gs_tools/anvils.lua:178: in function 'get_anvil_formspec'
02:17:49: ERROR[main]: 	c:\minetestdev\bin\..\games\twt\mods\gs_tools/anvils.lua:239: in function 'on_rightclick'
02:17:49: ERROR[main]: 	c:\minetestdev\bin\..\builtin\game\item.lua:326: in function <c:\minetestdev\bin\..\builtin\game\item.lua:319>
Server Owner trainwrecktony.serveminecraft.net:30000 irc.freenode.net ##minetest-trainwrecktony

gsmanners

by gsmanners » Post

I think you need the latest minetest_game if you get errors like that.

See https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

How do I use the anvil?
What is SCP-055?

RSLRedstonier
GitHub: RSL-Redstonier
In-game: RSLRedstonier

by RSLRedstonier » Post

alas I believe this mod is dead
I had to make MAJOR modifications to this due to conflicts with my own mods
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

try out my skytest mod always being updated!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17568