[Mod] Farming Redo [1.48] [farming]

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- New food textures (thanks sirrobzeroone)
- Added Tomato Soup
- River water check depending on mapgen and mods
- Remove old mushroom overrides (no longer required)
- Added pumpkin bottom texture
- Pumpkin and Melon can be rotated
- Fixed typo in Mithril Scythe info

Astrobe

Re: [Mod] Farming Redo [1.46] [farming]

by Astrobe » Post

Hello, it appears that farming_blueberry_pie.png is missing in the license.txt file.

It seems based on this texture - author RZR0 license CC-BY-NC-SA. Is this correct ?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Thanks for noticing :) git updated...

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

A question about the scythe.
I LOVE the idea. But when I built one and tried using it I noticed:

1: It requires a click for every use
and
2: it drops the produce on the ground instead of putting it in your inventory.

The end result of this is that I can harvest faster with my sword, because I can just hold down the mouse button and harvest continually and the produce goes directly into my inventory so I don't have to run around picking it up afterward (again, another click per item)

I strongly suspect that, even with taking the time to replant, it takes less time to harvest with my sword and replant by hand than to harvest and replant with the scythe. And regardless of time, it certainly takes a LOT less clicks.

Is the slow and click intensive operation of the scythe intentional, OR, would you consider making it work continuously when the mouse button is held down?

AmyMoriyama
GitHub: AmyMoriyama

by AmyMoriyama » Post

Kilarin wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 23:00
A question about the scythe.
I LOVE the idea. But when I built one and tried using it I noticed:

1: It requires a click for every use
and
2: it drops the produce on the ground instead of putting it in your inventory.

The end result of this is that I can harvest faster with my sword, because I can just hold down the mouse button and harvest continually and the produce goes directly into my inventory so I don't have to run around picking it up afterward (again, another click per item)

I strongly suspect that, even with taking the time to replant, it takes less time to harvest with my sword and replant by hand than to harvest and replant with the scythe. And regardless of time, it certainly takes a LOT less clicks.

Is the slow and click intensive operation of the scythe intentional, OR, would you consider making it work continuously when the mouse button is held down?
My experience with the scythe, it makes harvest a lot easier. Replanting takes way too much time, but "tilling" takes WAY too much time but that is an issue with minetest itself I think. Making a large farm is almost torture.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

AmyMoriyama wrote:it makes harvest a lot easier
Are you doing something different than I am? When I was using it, a 10 by 10 patch of cotton takes 100 clicks to use the scythe to harvest and replant. But each square drops 2 to 3 items, which I now have to pick up, so another 250 clicks. For a total of around 350 clicks. That is a lot of clicking.
AmyMoriyama wrote:but "tilling" takes WAY too much time but that is an issue with minetest itself I think. Making a large farm is almost torture.
Tilling doesn't bother me so much because it's a once and done thing. Although it IS annoying that I have to be really careful with my sword not to dig up the tilled dirt.

That is one reason I was so excited to realize we had a scythe now. I was hoping for a tool that could harvest, but wouldn't risk damaging the dirt.

TenPlus1 makes such wonderful things! I owe him a big debt of gratitude. If making the scythe work this way is necessary because of engine limitations or game balance issues, I fully understand. BUT, I don't think I'll end up using it much. Make it where I can hold down the mouse button and harvest, and the produce goes directly into my inventory, and this will become one of my favorite tools. :)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The scythe does what it does on purpose :) It harvests the crop on a single click, replants the crop and drops the harvest for the player to pick up since the replant technically gives you one extra seed/food item. This is so the tool isn't too OP.

Merak

by Merak » Post

As it is, I only find the scythe worth using when I have a plant which I only have 1 or a few seeds of and it usually does not give more than 1 seed when I pick it. IIRC, with the scythe you can get 1 more seed out of it. After I have many seeds, it is never worthwhile to use the scythe.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:The scythe does what it does on purpose :) It harvests the crop on a single click, replants the crop and drops the harvest for the player to pick up since the replant technically gives you one extra seed/food item. This is so the tool isn't too OP.
Makes sense. Thank you for explaining!

My observations from farming in Xanadu. Harvesting with a sword is plenty fast. The only problem is that a sword can also dig dirt. So you have to be careful not to dig up your carefully tilled soil. That's doable. A tool that would harvest without the risk of digging dirt would be nice, but I can get by without it pretty well.

Planting though can be much more difficult. The reason being is that planting happens slower than movement speed. So, if you hold down the mouse button and move down a row of your garden, you will skip squares when planting. So to try and plant you have to tap the movement key slowly, and I can't ever get the timing quite right and have to go back and do it again on the spots that were missed.

Now, I do not mind the speed. Not at all. If there was a "walk" button in minetest, I would be perfectly happy to plant my garden at a walk. The problem is all the clicking. If there were a tool that could, perhaps after leveling up, plant at the same speed as movement (not giving you extra seeds, but using the seeds in your inventory) I would be THRILLED. Or, if there was a tool, even if it were slower that, when the mouse button was held down, would plant one square, and then move your character forward automagically one square so that you were in the correct position for the next planting. That would be awesome! It wouldn't matter to me if it moved at the same speed as current planting by hand (about half movement speed?), just so long as I could hold down the mouse button and plant one whole long row without having to click click click click click... :)

That said, I want to emphasize again how much I enjoy and appreciate this mod and all the work you do TenPlus1. You are one of the key developers that makes minetest a great game!

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

I was just wondering today when using the tool if it was by design or an oversight. Thanks for explaining it was due to balancing.

One thing I was wondering: this one can be combined with the other mod that catches up what is near to you (similar to what MC does)... I remember I have added it on my first local world when I discovered minetest, but I can't remember what mod it was. Considering to add it to my server.
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Added Sunflowers, oil and bread (thanks Felfa)
- Bonemeal and Ethereal NG mods updated

Felfalido
GitHub: Felfa but in GitLab
IRC: Felfa or Are_16
In-game: Felfa

Re: Update:

by Felfalido » Post

And I would like to mention that the texture farming_sunflower_bread.png is actually a (noticeable) modification I made from ethereal_banana_bread.png in ethereal mod, but I couldn't find the license and authorship of said file.

Thanks for pulling the new crops!
Debian & Arch GNU/Linux user - Libre software promoter - Antifa - Republican - Feminist - Atheist - Regular player at LinuxWorks server - Hi :-)

TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Simplified Peas by keeping pods and removing need to craft them into separate peas.
- Simplified Soy by keeping pods and removing need to craft them into soy beans.
- Simplified Rice by removing grains and keeping rice which can be planted directly.
- Changed some recipes to use glass of water instead of buckets.
- Tidied code.

Josselin2
GitHub: axcore
In-game: Josselin

by Josselin2 » Post

In corn.lua, the cornstarch has a "food_flammable" group that I'm almost sure should be just "flammable".

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Whoops, thanks for noticing Josselin2. Updated :)

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

OK, but why is cornstarch in group flammable when it's a craftitem that can't be placed in the world, and it has no fuel recipe, so cannot be used in the furnace? Does some mod use group:flammable in crafting recipes?
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Any item in the flammable group will burn when dropped into lava, this is the same for many items in the default minetest game.

thminer
GitHub: TEbinger
In-game: thomas or thomas321

by thminer » Post

We had a server crash in combination with basic_machines with coca_beans_raw.
See log. Any idea what happened?

2022-02-15 09:41:06: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
2022-02-15 09:41:07: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: Runtime error from mod '' in callback LuaABM::trigger(): "farming:cocoa_beans_raw 12" is not a registered node!
2022-02-15 09:41:07: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2022-02-15 09:41:07: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'set_node'
2022-02-15 09:41:07: ERROR[Main]: ...e/minetest/minetest/bin/../mods/basic_machines/mover.lua:818: in function 'action_on'
2022-02-15 09:41:07: ERROR[Main]: ...e/minetest/minetest/bin/../mods/basic_machines/mover.lua:1679: in function 'activate'
2022-02-15 09:41:07: ERROR[Main]: ...e/minetest/minetest/bin/../mods/basic_machines/mover.lua:1692: in function 'action_on'
2022-02-15 09:41:07: ERROR[Main]: ...e/minetest/minetest/bin/../mods/basic_machines/mover.lua:1679: in function 'activate'
2022-02-15 09:41:07: ERROR[Main]: ...e/minetest/minetest/bin/../mods/basic_machines/mover.lua:1692: in function 'action_on'
2022-02-15 09:41:07: ERROR[Main]: ...e/minetest/minetest/bin/../mods/basic_machines/mover.lua:1519: in function 'func'
2022-02-15 09:41:07: ERROR[Main]: ...est/minetest/bin/../builtin/profiler/instrumentation.lua:106: in function <...est/minetest/bin/../builtin/profiler/instrumentation.lua:100>
Find my minetest stuff in my blog: http://thomas-ebinger.de/?s=minetest

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

farming:cocoa_beans_raw is a craft item and not a node, what is the basic_machines trying to do exactly ?

Bastrabun

by Bastrabun » Post

A player of mine, an avid gardener and rhubarb farmer, contests the idea that the max light level for rhubarb should be 12 :D

Was that a typo? Or is there any "evidence" I could present him? :P
Whatever I say is CC0

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Rhubarb in real life likes to grow in shady areas and not direct sunlight, which is why I put max light levels at 12 :)

revevil

by revevil » Post

Has anyone ever had a gaming session where they could not find one particular crop? In a past game, I could not find chili pepper. It was so frustrating I finally used the /give command. In my current game, I cannot find garlic. I have checked every biome and looked everywhere I can think of. In past games, garlic was very common as chili pepper is not that hard to find in my current game.

Makes me wish I had one of those "dragonball locator" devices like they had in the old dbz cartoons. I could just use the /give command, but I feel it takes the fun away of finding something.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@revevil - Garlic is usually found next to a tree trunk in green grass areas. If it's difficult to find you can change the spawn chance from 0.001 to maybe 0.003 in settings :)

revevil

by revevil » Post

I tried changing it to .005, but no effect. I changed it in the farming.conf_example file but did not change the filename. Do I need to change the extension to just .conf for it to work?

update: I think I answered my own question. I tried it, and for sure it worked for garlic and artichoke. And the garlic definitely grows next to tree trunks like you said! I was desperate to find it partly because it makes the best biofuel. It only has to grow to stage 5 and multiplies to 8 cloves per bulb! 2 rows next to a water trough at 12 nodes each produces at least a few canisters.
Attachments
screenshot_20220524_190609.png
screenshot_20220524_190609.png (393.54 KiB) Viewed 4828 times

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

In Minetest Settings tab under advanced you can look for mods -> farming -> farming.garlic to change value, or yes, you can change farming.conf_example to farming.conf and change there. It works either way :P