[Mod] Simple Skins [1.0] [simple_skins]

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

[Mod] Simple Skins [1.0] [simple_skins]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Simple Skins is a mod that's so easy to use you'll wonder why it hasn't been done before...

Based on Zeg9's Skins mod and with some help from PilzAdam...

Soft Dependencies:Inventory ++ (viewtopic.php?id=6204), Unified_inventory, SfInv
License: MIT
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (82.06 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
To add NEW skins download your Minecraft skin into the textures folder and name it accordingly e.g "character_31.png" or "character_32.png" (whichever is the next number available)... also... pop into the meta directory and make a new "character_31.txt" file with this text inside it:

Code: Select all

name = "Your Skin Name",
author = "Your nick or name here",
Download: https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/simple_ski ... master.zip
Source: https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/simple_skins
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Wed Nov 23, 2022 18:12, edited 24 times in total.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

How about grabbing all skins from the skins database?
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Krock wrote:How about grabbing all skins from the skins database?
That defeats the purpose of being easy to use.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

that would maybe work good with the skindb driver mod because it does not need a 2d preview.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

addi wrote:that would maybe work good with the skindb driver mod because it does not need a 2d preview.
Uh, somehow I got a Dejà vu.. see 3 posts above.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

Krock wrote:
addi wrote:that would maybe work good with the skindb driver mod because it does not need a 2d preview.
Uh, somehow I got a Dejà vu.. see 3 posts above.
Krock: hmm, but what about reading the skins from skin db? :-P XD

11: im just looked into the source and modified it a bit, so it does now highlight the actual skin in the list.
Attachments
simple_skins.zip
(58.9 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Thanks addi for adding the selected skin highlight :)

ken

Re: [Mod] Simple Skins [0.3] [simple_skins]

by ken » Post

When I set my skin, people see it fine. If I log out of the server, and then log back in, my skin is back to Sam.

In the menu, the skin I chose previously is still selected, but to other clients I look like normal Sam until I re-click the skin in the menu.

Is this normal?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Tested and cannot replicate the bug you mention, any skin selected remains after logging out of server and back in again... Which server are you connecting to ?

ken

by ken » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Tested and cannot replicate the bug you mention, any skin selected remains after logging out of server and back in again... Which server are you connecting to ?
It is a private linux 0.4.10-dev server. After a little bit of testing, I think it must be a mod conflict. The server I'm having problems on is one that has many mods running. I created a vanilla server with only inventory++ and simple skins, and the mod worked just fine, no problems.

So, I'll need to do more testing to try and determine which other mod is causing the conflict.

Carmarenton
IRC: Carmarenton
In-game: Carmarenton

by Carmarenton » Post

Hey,

This is probably a bit of an odd question, but is there any way of restricting one skin to people with a certain privilege? I'm trying to make an admin skin. I only grant give to admins, for instance, is there any way of restricting a skin to people with give?

Thanks!

Carm

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Carmarenton: Place the skin for admin inside the textures directory and name it character_901.png so that it will not appear in the list (the meta file is not needed for this), then during game type: /setskin <username> 901 to set their private skin and next time they sign on it will take effect...

Carmarenton
IRC: Carmarenton
In-game: Carmarenton

by Carmarenton » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Carmarenton: Place the skin for admin inside the textures directory and name it character_901.png so that it will not appear in the list (the meta file is not needed for this), then during game type: /setskin <username> 901 to set their private skin and next time they sign on it will take effect...
/setskin isn't working for me o,O Nothing at all happens when I execute the command.

EDIT: Me idiot. Me no read your full message about NEXT TIME THEY SIGN ON. Sorry! It worked :D

erwin.maximilian
GitHub: erwin8086

by erwin.maximilian » Post

Here is as simple patch to use unified inventory.
unzip with gunzip <file.gz> and apply with path -i <file>
Attachments
simple_skin-unified_invetory.patch.gz
(866 Bytes) Downloaded 484 times

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

erwin.maximilian wrote:Here is as simple patch to use unified inventory.
unzip with gunzip <file.gz> and apply with path -i <file>
Hi, im interresting with this mod because i want to add players skins the more simple way possible.

This mod works with unified inventory and u_skins ? This patch allow this ? If yes, maybe merge this on master github branch can be a good idea ?

Gerald
In-game: gerald7

by Gerald » Post

You said the mod depends on Inventory Plus or Inventory ++.
But there is a command to change skins.
Do you really need the inventory?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The mod needs inventory_plus mod installed to run, even with command in place...

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

I tried "simple_skins" with "u_skins" with and without the "erwin.maximilian => simple_skin-unified_invetory.patch.gz" but it doesn't work at all...

Somebody has already coded a compatibility code ? or a merged mod of this two mods ? or maybe can code it ?

In my server we need both mods because "u_skins" is a pretty good skin database but, it's a very bad mod if you want to add skins from players creation, the "u_skins" mod need many precautions and modifications to make this possible... (it's long and not very made for that, i supposed)
While, the "simple_skins" mod is just perfect for this weak point of "u_skins", with this mod we can easily add mods from players creation without touch the "u_skins" mod wich means we can update the "u_skins" without fear :)

"u_skins" mod link : viewtopic.php?t=9807
"simple_skins" mod link : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9100

Thank you in advance for your answers !

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Server admin can now change a players skin by using this command:

/setskin <player> <skin number>

... personal skins can be used as well, simply number the personal skins from 900 and above so that they do not appear on the list and use the above command to set a players private skin.

/setskin TenPlus1 901

amadin

by amadin » Post

Then i press button "skins" in inventory ++ i see only list of skins, but i don't see skins preview on a player, does this normal? If it'i normal, may after presing button "skins" camera will switch to a third-person (F7) for preview?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

That's right, Simple Skins is only a list of skins with name and author information displayed when a skin is selected... To view the skin press F7 to see yourself and then change skin :)

amadin

by amadin » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:That's right, Simple Skins is only a list of skins with name and author information displayed when a skin is selected... To view the skin press F7 to see yourself and then change skin :)
Does mods can make camera view from a third-person? I mean then i press buton "skins" camera view will change to a third-person and i will see skins without press F7, then i will press button "back" or "esc" camera view will change to firs-person view. Many players play on tablets and smartphones and they not have F7 button.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Sadly no it doesn't change the camera view of the player while selecting the skin... I did try but it was so buggy that I left it out...

amadin

by amadin » Post

Then it may be wiser to add generating script from the zeg9's skins and add the option to turn on/off display generated skins in game, that is, if the server owner wants then he can generate pictures, if he not want then he uses a list of skins in the game without pictures, for me it will be cool. I think if server owner can run start, stop and restart scripts, he can run script for picture generate.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

If you want skin previews then you can install zeg's skins mod, my simple skins mod is meant to be light for server use and so that you do not have to generate previews with every new skin added...