[game] Dreambuilder [20210626-0349]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

Re: [Modpack] Dreambuilder [20170926-1124]

by VanessaE » Post

Build #20170926-0011, updated castles modpack, boost_cart, homedecor, currency, farming redo, framed glass, gloopblocks, mesecons, moreblocks, pipeworks, signs_lib, technic, unified mesecons, and worldedit

Also, I created a new tag for this release. This will be standard procedure from now on.

Sorry I haven't had time to take care of those last few glitches you guys mentioned. Please file issues against the appropriate github repositories for the individual mods affected (i.e. not against Dreambuilder).

As for caverealms, it stays where it is. This is Zeno`'s fork. Upstream will need to incorporate Zeno`'s changes and my last few commits, as needed, before I'll consider switching forks.

EDIT: build #20170926-1124, rolled currency mod back to previous version (a recent changeset broke it)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

lister

by lister » Post

much thanks for the update :)
VanessaE wrote:As for caverealms, it stays where it is. This is Zeno`'s fork. Upstream will need to incorporate Zeno`'s changes and my last few commits, as needed, before I'll consider switching forks.
just a quick question, what are the relevant forked changes, in a word? after playing either one for a while, the latest git of caves seems to just add more. we are sure you are right, we are just curious to know which features are missing upstream.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I actually don't remember too much, performance reasons I think. Ask Zeno` :-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Broomy

by Broomy » Post

@VanessaE: First of all thank you for maintaining this great package. My children (and I) are enjoying it very much!

It may be asked before: Could it be possible to add the animal_modpack to the Dreambuilder modpack?

Thanks in advance,

Hans

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Dreambuilder already includes a mobs mod, carbone_mobs. That said, you could delete carbone_mobs (or disable it) and download and enable animals_modpack, and it should work just fine. I don't have any current plans to add it to Dreambuilder officially, though.

Broomy

by Broomy » Post

Thanks. I checked the carbone_mobs and it works, using the \spawnentity command. The \giveme doesn't seem to work. Is it possible to add mobs to the inventory on default?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I couldn't say :P

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Looks like its time to update caverealms again, because there is a newer, faster version of it out now:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18413

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Nope, that fork gets rid of two features that make caverealms unique: the big, honkin' massive caves, and the lava spills.

Shara
GitHub: ezhh
IRC: Shara

by Shara » Post

Not expecting you to use it, but it doesn't get rid of the big caves since cave size depends on mapgen and many mapgens have them now. (Lava spills are gone though - personally couldn't stand them.)

iquoth
GitHub: kurzkopfgleitbeutler
In-game: leonie

by iquoth » Post

Hi there, first off, thanks for your work on all the mods, this modpack, and the community. I really appreciate it :)

Now, I'd like to get involved with all that by fixing bugs. As you mentioned in a post in this thread (which I found by coincidence), one should pull request not on the dreambuilder modpack, but on the individual mod's repos.

However, I find it hard to get started with this, because it's nontrivial to find their urls. You provided the individual mod's names, and a confusing (for me, at least) list on http://minetest.daconcepts.com/my-main-mod-archive/. In general, with many mods sharing names, and many forks of more popular mods, trying to google for the right one is a nightmare.

Thus, I'd like to ask you to add a readme.md to the dreambuilder's github repo that
- states that pull requests should go to the individual mod's repos
- provides a simple list of all the individual mod's urls (could alternatively live in separate file)

I think this would make it easier for aspiring contributors to get started.
Thank you :)

VanessaE

Re: [Modpack] Dreambuilder [20171027-1513]

by VanessaE » Post

Build #20171027-1513, updated boost cart, homedecor, castles, currency, farming-redo, maptools, mesecons, moreblocks, moreores, pipeworks, and quartz.

iquoth, I'll get a proper list made soon. That archive directory you found is merely a "here's the source code", the sort of thing that's required by e.g. GPL and the like, however you should be able to download the whole tree, go into any mod folder therein, and get the git "fetch" address (e.g. `git remote -v` or similar). From that, you can figure out the correct repository.

EDIT: build #20171027-2038, updated pipeworks again.

VanessaE

Re: [Modpack] Dreambuilder [20171028-1127]

by VanessaE » Post

Build #20171028-1105, updated pipeworks (again).

EDIT: build #20171028-1127, updated pipeworks (yet again).

iquoth
GitHub: kurzkopfgleitbeutler
In-game: leonie

Re: [Modpack] Dreambuilder [20171027-1513]

by iquoth » Post

VanessaE wrote: I'll get a proper list made soon. That archive directory you found is merely a "here's the source code", the sort of thing that's required by e.g. GPL and the like, however you should be able to download the whole tree, go into any mod folder therein, and get the git "fetch" address (e.g. `git remote -v` or similar). From that, you can figure out the correct repository.
Great, thanks for both making the list and the clarification on how to get the urls from the archive dir :D

pan_kisiel

by pan_kisiel » Post

hi there,
i do really like your mod and the posiinilities. therefore i am using it in elementary school teaching arts.. is there a german translation available? If not, how can i help translating?
Greetings from berlin

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Like other pull requests, translations should be submitted to their respective repositories, rather than directly to Dreambuilder.

The reason for this, by the way, is that I use a couple of scripts that I wrote, to maintain the modpack: one that updates all mods on my system from their upstream git repositories, and a second one that "builds" the modpack from those mods, whatever their state may be, making minor changes here and there as it does so. They're simplistic, but they do the job, and the latter one is also the origin of "Build #xxxx" that you see in my update posts. :-)

VanessaE

Re: [Modpack] Dreambuilder [20171103-2305]

by VanessaE » Post

Build #20171103-2305, updated boost_cart, currency, mesecons, pipeworks, and technic

lister

by lister » Post

hi! we are trying to figure out a source of server-side lag present with dreambuilder. we are pretty sure it's dreambuilder, even though the evidence is circumstantial. we are on the commit 2e6082ccdbd121cd5fc0f82a931ac01ac00dcb76 at the moment, but we've seen this lag with all commits we tried so far.

the lag happens almost without fail whenever anyone explores a heavily wooded/grown-over area for the first time. more lag can be experienced when the area is explored 2nd, 3d and so on time, and it's hard to tell whether it ever goes away completely, as some farmlands remain pretty laggy. this is a multi-second lag affecting everyone in game, so that positions get reset and inventory is slow. as long as the "explorer" stops moving or goes back to non-laggy area, the lag goes away by itself after a short while.

this lag never happens in caves, and it never happens in bare areas above ground. it has got to be something about the trees and/or farming and/or worldgen in places with heavy plant growth. just fyi, our branch of dreambuilder has all mobs disabled, and date palm pollination is disabled as well. another thing we tried is completely disabling leaf decay abm, with no effect on lag. please let us know if there's anything you suspect may be causing this, or else what we can do to diagnose this more precisely.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This simply does not happen the way you describe, on my two public Dreambuilder server instances, so I'm not sure I can help.

That said, of the mods that are in Dreambuilder, there are things that *can* cause lag:

One of my two server instances has a *massive* Technic power grid (as in tens of thousands of meters of cabling). Trigger a re-scan and recalculation of that and it will hang the server for as much as 30 seconds. There is work in progress that may solve this some day.

With Mesecons, there is the threat, however remote, that someone could build a "lag machine". This is any circuit that cycles quickly and continuously, with the sole purpose of exploiting performance issues in Mesecons or some other mod that can respond to it. These days, that's not very common, as Mesecons has code in place to try to protect against that, but it may still be possible.

With Plantlife modpack, Moretrees, and a number of other mods (not necessarily included in Dreambuilder) comes biome_lib, the mod that does all the hard work for them. That mod maintains an event queue that's populated at mapgen time ("one tree needs to grow in this mapblock", "add three bits of wild grass to this mapblock, but only on dirt-with-grass", "some of these trunks need moss attached to them", etc), which it then "plays-out" when it detects that the engine has time to do so, spreading the work over a potentially long period to try to avoid too much lag. If someone is exploring new, virgin terrain, they will likely be triggering large quantities of such events. On slower machines, this will still add lag, but I tried to keep it low. This can be further limited by such things as making Moretrees spawn only (fast-growing) saplings at mapgen time, or disabling some of Plantlife modpack's components, slower stuff like woodsoils or ferns (anything that spawns multi-node structures or forms).

lister

by lister » Post

VanessaE wrote:This simply does not happen the way you describe, on my two public Dreambuilder server instances, so I'm not sure I can help.
our blade hardware is not really top-notch as far as raw cpu works are concerned, so this could easily be something only low-end machines can feel.
With Plantlife modpack, Moretrees, and a number of other mods (not necessarily included in Dreambuilder) comes biome_lib, the mod that does all the hard work for them. That mod maintains an event queue that's populated at mapgen time ("a tree needs to grow here", "add some grass here, here, and here", "this trunk needs moss attached to it", etc), which it then "plays-out" when it detects that the engine has time to do so, spreading the work over a potentially long period to try to avoid too much lag. If someone is exploring new, virgin terrain, they may be triggering large quantities of such events. On slower machines, this will still add lag, but I tried to keep it low. This can be further limited by such things as making Moretrees spawn only (fast-growing) saplings at mapgen time, or disabling some of Plantlife modpack's components, slower stuff like woodsoils or ferns (anything that spawns multi-node structures or forms).
we really have absolutely nothing technic- or pipework-wise that could cause any lag, but biome_lib sounds like a perfect suspect. we will look into disabling this worldgen queue for testing purposes. in the end, what we want at minimum is every kind of plants growing in our world. we would happily sacrifice the "slowly growing forest" if that made an impact. do you think there's a way to nerf the queue while still having the worldgen spawn every kind of plant at least some of the time?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

To decrease the number of events being added to the queue, you either have to disable mods that use biome_lib, or alter them to create fewer events (look for calls to biome_lib:register_generate_plant). You can slow the playback of the queue more easily though, just increase the limits on lines 430 and 435 of biome_lib/init.lua (default is 0.2 seconds).

In a standard Dreambuilder distribution, there are a total of 55 events being performed per mapblock. Each event may spawn anywhere from one to dozens of nodes at a time.

lister

by lister » Post

VanessaE wrote:ou can slow the playback of the queue more easily though, just increase the limits on lines 430 and 435 of biome_lib/init.lua (default is 0.2 seconds).
so we need something like 0.05, so it starts idling while the lag is still light?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Er yeah, I meant decrease. Anyway, 0.05 is less than one server step, so try 0.1, but be aware that I've never tested biome_lib at that setting. It may not play the log out at all.

lister

by lister » Post

thanks so much for help. we tried various dtime settings as well as slowing down that function via random return, and no significant difference could be observed with respect to lag. but testing things more carefully we are now very convinced we have a hardware cpu bottleneck. during forest worldgen, our minetest cpu usage shoots up to 100%, so it looks like our puny 2-core ain't good enough for this kind of action :) since we are not pvp, we do not consider this a show-stopper, but we'll keep this in mind when it's time to bump the hardware. in fact, this experience made us think that untraceable hiccups in xonotic are may be due to the same bottleneck, seeing how there it's bot ai that seems to do the hogging of the cpu juice.

VanessaE

Re: [Modpack] Dreambuilder [20171106-1953]

by VanessaE » Post

You know, "random return" is a thought I had not even considered. Given that doing so in biome_lib would merely slow the playback of the queue without compromising its contents, that would be a pretty good way to reduce average CPU usage further, for really slow machines.

I've added that feature to biome_lib and pushed Dreambuilder build #20171106-1953. This also brings in an unrelated pipeworks update, btw. Set biome_lib_queue_run_ratio = <some value 1 to 100> in minetest.conf (default is 100, max, effectively a percentage). For me, a value of around 10 has an oddly appealing speed. A value of 1 is makes it look almost like gradual growth, though entire classes of stuff appear all at once (ground litter on one cycle, maybe waterlilies on another cycle, etc).