[Mod] Lockpicks [lockpicks] [0.9]

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

[Mod] Lockpicks [lockpicks] [0.9]

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

After having discussed this and squishing bugs in it over the last few days on IRC, it's finally here: lockpicks!

This mod adds high-risk, high-reward lockpicks to Minetest as well as a couple other goodies. With this, you can break the locks on any chest from the default game, the locks mod, and the technic mod. Additionally, with a simple right-click, you can open locked doors from the doors mod, most notably Steel Doors.
However, it comes with a price: if the person who owns the lock is online, a message gets sent to them telling them where someone is picking a lock. Also, most times the chests get rotated when they are broken into, letting people know a burglary took place. Inventory is preserved when the chests are broken and turned into regular chests. There are six kinds of lockpicks: Wood, Steel, Copper, Silver, Gold, and Mithril (using the moreores mod). Additionally, picks have a random chance of breaking, dependent upon the "quality" of the chest versus the "level" of the pick. Picks of the same level as the chest (i.e. wood on wood) have a 66% chance of breaking, and picks of levels lower than the chest being broken either won't break it at all or will have a 100% chance of breaking the pick. The lowest possible chance of breaking the pick is 2/3 to the power of six, or about 8.27%. The chance drop is exponential, as you can see.

Additionally, if mesecons is installed, I have added a few special chests: mesecons chests (on and off) and trap chests.
The trap chests work this way: they appear as completely normal locked chests, but if picked by any lockpick, they turn into mesecons chests in the 'on' state, thus activating your mesecons trap of your own design.
The other mesecons chests turn on or off depending on whether or not the chests contain items. If the chest has any items in it, the chest will send no signals. But if the chest is empty, it will start sending signals.

So far, this mod supports: [locks], [technic], [doors], and [default].
If you know or have a mod with locked objects you'd like me to add support for, post a link and I'll add an optional dependency.

License: WTFPL
Depends: default, moreores, doors, pipeworks?, technic?, locks?

GitHub: https://github.com/HeroOfTheWinds/lockpicks
Download: https://github.com/HeroOfTheWinds/lockp ... master.zip

Recipes:
Spoiler
Wood lockpick: can only open the default locked chest and the shared locked chest from locks. Recipe:
S=stick, W=wood
_SS
_S_
_W_

Steel lockpick: can open all that the wood pick can, plus the iron and copper locked chests from technic. Digs the wood chests faster. Recipe:
I=steel ingot, W=wood
_II
_I_
_W_

Copper lockpick: same as steel, but faster. Recipe:
C=copper, I=steel
_CC
_C_
_I_

Silver, Gold, and Mithril lockpicks: The highest level lockpicks, listed in order of ascending speed. These ones can open all that the previous can, in addition to Silver, Gold, and Mithril locked chests from technic. Recipe(s):
O=ore corresponding to pick, I=steel
_OO
_O_
_I_

Trap Chest:
W = wood, D = mesecons:object_detector
WDW

Mesecons Chest:
W = wood, M = mesecon
WMW
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: [Mod] Lockpicks [lockpicks] [0.9]

by Calinou » Post

When the chest is unlocked and rotated, you can empty it, dig it and place a similar locked chest back in normal orientation (easier with More Blocks, which allows upgrading a chest to a locked chest). :D

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

You could make a nexus link mod, too.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

This is an interesting concept, HeroOfTheWinds. However, the usage of this on a survival server would force me to take up permanent residence about -2000 below sea level.

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Calinou wrote:When the chest is unlocked and rotated, you can empty it, dig it and place a similar locked chest back in normal orientation (easier with More Blocks, which allows upgrading a chest to a locked chest). :D
Actually not, since then the locked chest would have the thief's name on it.... "Hey, come kill me!"

Also, bear in mind you need to be able to break the chest.... so protection mods will save you. ;)

@Hybrid Dog: Could you explain a bit more about what you mean?

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:
Calinou wrote:When the chest is unlocked and rotated, you can empty it, dig it and place a similar locked chest back in normal orientation (easier with More Blocks, which allows upgrading a chest to a locked chest). :D
Actually not, since then the locked chest would have the thief's name on it.... "Hey, come kill me!"

Also, bear in mind you need to be able to break the chest.... so protection mods will save you. ;)

@Hybrid Dog: Could you explain a bit more about what you mean?
it's a weapon of wz2100 with which you are able to steal the enemy's units and buildings

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:it's a weapon of wz2100 with which you are able to steal the enemy's units and buildings
I really can't see that having any more use than on a very aggressive factions server. And I think that would not be nice at all for anyone. On any other server.... let's just say all the world would be hunting your head. So no, I have no inclination to make such a mod.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

With those villages and villagers, picking their locks might be a good idea. It's always a bit odd when you just grab the content of a chest while the mob who's supposed to own it just stands next to you and does nothing at all. Thus, a version of this mod where only special chests owned by mobs could be opened would be great. In case of failure, the mobs might be alerted to the thief's attempts - and either capture the player or try to kill him.

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Sokomine wrote:With those villages and villagers, picking their locks might be a good idea. It's always a bit odd when you just grab the content of a chest while the mob who's supposed to own it just stands next to you and does nothing at all. Thus, a version of this mod where only special chests owned by mobs could be opened would be great. In case of failure, the mobs might be alerted to the thief's attempts - and either capture the player or try to kill him.
Should the NPC side of this get implemented (the NPC chests), I'd certainly update this to support it, and maybe add conditionals at the start of the init that would allow people to enable or disable player/npc chest-picking.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Sounds fine. We already have mobs (to a degree), and chests are relatively easy to create. What might be more difficult is a way to react to players picking locks (and failing). Since mobs can react to attacks already, this might be handled similarily. Just calling a function that tells which chest has been broken into might be enough.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:
Hybrid Dog wrote:it's a weapon of wz2100 with which you are able to steal the enemy's units and buildings
I really can't see that having any more use than on a very aggressive factions server. And I think that would not be nice at all for anyone. On any other server.... let's just say all the world would be hunting your head. So no, I have no inclination to make such a mod.
ok

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

luizrpgluiz
IRC: luizrpgluiz
In-game: luizinho

by luizrpgluiz » Post

as I do for him not to shutdown on my server? because I saw that this mod is very useful for us admins servers in minetest 0.4.12.
cdb_HTWLEyTsySH8

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Here is some new textures i made to replace the old ones, enjoy:
Attachments
newlockpicktextures.tar.gz
new lock-pick textures
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.