[Mod] Creatures [git] [minetest_mods_creatures]

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

Re: [Mod] Creatures [git] [minetest_mods_creatures]

by ABJ » Post

Thanks.
Now it works for a bit, and then crashes with

Code: Select all

23:23:02: ERROR[main]: generate_shader(): failed to generate "nodes_shader", addHighLevelShaderMaterial failed.
23:23:02: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game. 
23:23:02: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
Irrlicht log: Could not open file of texture: oerkki.png
23:23:06: ERROR[main]: ServerError: ...st 0.4.12\bin\..\mods\creatures\creatures/logic_mobs.lua:309: attempt to call field 'find_nodes_in_area_under_air' (a nil value)
23:23:06: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
23:23:06: ERROR[main]: 	...st 0.4.12\bin\..\mods\creatures\creatures/logic_mobs.lua:309: in function 'logic_mob_step'
23:23:06: ERROR[main]: 	...2\bin\..\mods\creatures\creatures_races_default\init.lua:2909: in function <...2\bin\..\mods\creatures\creatures_races_default\init.lua:2908>

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Now that's a weirder one. find_nodes_in_area_under_air should be there since long ago, but apparently your Minetest version doesn't have that either. Are you running latest GIT?

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

I downloaded the ZIP just yesterday.
I guess I'll try gitting.

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

by Diamond knight » Post

question: how do you change the look height of the player

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Diamond knight wrote:question: how do you change the look height of the player
See the eye_offset parameter of the creature definition.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

I did another important change I had on my mind lately: Customizable animations. Additional to the builtin animations (stand, walk, walk_punch, punch) you can now define your own, and trigger them with a global animation_set function. Animations also have all parameters customizable now, including speed and blend and loop.

I've also added support for an on_mob_target function, which can be included in entity definitions, and determines what a mob shall do when targeting an entity. It should return nil if the object should not be targeted, or the target settings as a table if it should.

Example of usage: For the MineCarts mod, you can give cart entities an on_mob_target function that tells the mob to go toward the cart (add an attack target) then enter it once it reaches it (in a custom on_punch function for the target). Using the new animation_set function, you can also make the mob have a sit animation. This way, all creatures will know to embark in nearby carts and boats, without the creatures themselves even needing to be edited!

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Very Cool!
Now I must peek at the code to see how you did this! Hey... at least I'm honest :D

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

ExeterDad wrote:Very Cool!
Now I must peek at the code to see how you did this! Hey... at least I'm honest :D
I simply read the function from the item or entity definition. It's actually super simple, although a bit unusual so it might seem like advanced code trickery at first :)

FreeLikeGNU
GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Post

this api is intense! Just saw your mod today. Nice work!

TailsTheFoxDoes MT
In-game: TailsTheFox

by TailsTheFoxDoes MT » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:After several days of working around the clock, I'm happy to announce one of the mods I've been most eager to create. It's intended for a game I will be making later, but for now I'm releasing a minetest_game version.

Important: For the mod to work properly, you must first disable the default player script. To do that, open minetest_game/mods/default/init.lua and comment out the dofile line for player.lua.

- Mod information:

So... what is this all about? The Creatures mod is mob framework forked from PilzAdam's SimpleMobs. It is based on a different approach to what players and monsters should be like. Typically, players are players and the "superior race" of the Minetest world... while mobs only exist to attack them, let them farm meat, or have a pet.

Creatures changes that. It works by defining races, which are played by mobs and players equally. All races have their own alliances, and the player can be part of any species he wishes. What can the player reincarnate as? Anything! Players can become mice, sheep, monsters, oerkkis, or the normal player who was now turned into a mob (humans spawn in the same areas as sheep). Of course, small or non-intelligent races have limited abilities. For example, mice only offer an 1 x 1 crafting grid and have 4 inventory slots rather than 32, while having less hit points and a lower eye position (camera view offset).

By default, players start as ghosts, and need to possess a mob in order to become part of their species. Each mob has a random chance of being possessible. Possessible mobs will typically walk toward the player, who punches them in order to assume their body. When a player dies, it becomes a ghost again. Ghost players are never attacked by any race, as they are not considered part of the living world. On the other hand, ghosts are not able to have any inventory (items are instantly deleted) and cannot dig or place nodes. When the player is a ghost, the sky and screen are purple while a spooky ambient sound can be heard.

- Technical stuff:

Most work was on ensuring that the differences between players and mobs are as few as possible, and making all elements common. At the time, mobs and players both: Take environmental damage (water or light), play random sounds, have the same walk speed, the same maximum health, and more. For example, mobs use the server's default walking and running speed which assures they always match that of players, while the "speed" offset of the race equally applies to both. There's only one creature definition containing the creature's parameters.

On the downside, there are a few things I couldn't add. For instance, the collision box cannot be changed for players yet... so if the player possesses a mouse, it still can't go through tunnels which are 1 block high. Lava damage can also not be disabled... so while stone monster mobs are immune to lava, stone monster players are still hurt by it. I'm hoping I may request a few engine changes in the spirit of this mod later on.

Otherwise, I implemented several new features and abilities to the existing mob framework, while keeping it simple and lightweight. Most important one is that mobs can also attack and kill each other, not just players. I also added several new sound effects, which give the world a lot of extra depth.

I will continue to develop the mod until I feel it has everything it could and should have. Most importantly, the mod is open to new features and ideas. Also, if you wish to add something which I don't feel like coding, feel free to submit a pull request. Do however mention what you intend to do first, as there are changes I might not accept. Please let me know what you think or if you find any bugs, and I hope you all enjoy the mod!

- Screenshots and download:

Github page

http://i57.tinypic.com/22cj10.png
http://i62.tinypic.com/14ag22e.png
http://i60.tinypic.com/2i1ziid.png
http://i60.tinypic.com/eb6643.png
http://i60.tinypic.com/11l3q4p.png
http://i57.tinypic.com/2dqitkp.png
http://i58.tinypic.com/4hp8j9.png
http://i58.tinypic.com/348r19j.png

- License:

Code by MirceaKitsune (LGPL), based on SimpleMobs by PilzAdam (WTFPL). Media (models, textures, sounds) by various authors and under various licenses. Full license information included in the README.txt.
I'm not exactly good at editing the init.lua, so can you make a download link to the latest Minetest version (0.4.13)'s lua with the edit added to it, and i might not use this mod because i'm worried, because it involves editing defaul lua files.
I'm the TailsTMM of minetest, in other words, i rock.
BRAAAAAZZZZAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW it means TailsTheMeseMinecart, but that isn't my name, it's just a way of saying that i basically do the same thing Dantdm does but i do it with minetest And you problably can't see the invisible ink.
My mods:
My first mod:tails_boss

Mob_pack now has voice acting! Do you want YOUR VOICE included? Look in my posts for the thread!

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

TailsTheFoxDoes MT wrote:I'm not exactly good at editing the init.lua, so can you make a download link to the latest Minetest version (0.4.13)'s lua with the edit added to it, and i might not use this mod because i'm worried, because it involves editing defaul lua files.
I can't and shouldn't have my mod edit out a file in another directory. Unless minetest_game adds an option to disable the default player animation management script, there's nothing the mod can do about that. My game will feature it by default later on, and nothing will need to be disabled there of course.

wilkgr76
GitHub: wilkgr76

by wilkgr76 » Post

I always enjoy opening threads started by you, because you always have a different take on things. And with 3 mods, it's definitely quality over quantity :). It works perfectly in 0.4.13, which isn't something I can say about Technic.
N/A

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

How to need rename mod to work him?

ABJ

Re: [Mod] Creatures [git] [minetest_modi_creatures]

by ABJ » Post

Excuse me, I may be wrong, as I honestly don't know why I am doing thiso
nne
You download the mod, extract the mod folder out of zip file, and place him in mods folder of minetest folder. Then you delete his name and rename him minetest_mods_creatures

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

ABJ wrote:Excuse me, I may be wrong, as I honestly don't know why I am doing thiso
nne
You download the mod, extract the mod folder out of zip file, and place him in mods folder of minetest folder. Then you delete his name and rename him minetest_mods_creatures
No, ABJ, i have to rename him "creatures" because when i renamed only "minetest_mods_creatures" i was getting error:
"Unresolved name conflicts for mods "creatures"
This means i have got as like creatures mod "Creatures Engine Mob" and that`s why he doesn`t work

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

by Diamond knight » Post

When is the next update coming, I suggest shoot attacks (set arrows like mobs_redo and maybe set their weight (for arcs (iron arrows would fall more than wood ones)))

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

I've decided this mod is to cool to not download!! :D
Great work +10
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:I've decided this mod is to cool to not download!! :D
Great work +10
Thank you, I'm glad you like! I wish someone could use this and the Structures mod more often: I was hoping people would find their ideas exciting, yet there's been no servers using them.

Sadly I haven't been working on it during the last year either, as well as anything Minetest related. Haven't had any motivation since RealBadAngel died, especially after seeing zero progress on new shaders and graphical improvements since. Maybe I will again at some point depending on what happens!

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:I've decided this mod is to cool to not download!! :D
Great work +10
Thank you, I'm glad you like! I wish someone could use this and the Structures mod more often: I was hoping people would find their ideas exciting, yet there's been no servers using them.

Sadly I haven't been working on it during the last year either, as well as anything Minetest related. Haven't had any motivation since RealBadAngel died, especially after seeing zero progress on new shaders and graphical improvements since. Maybe I will again at some point depending on what happens!
You should keep working at it. Don't want it to end up like that browser game: 'Awakening'.
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:You should keep working at it. Don't want it to end up like that browser game: 'Awakening'.
If I'm ever getting back to my distant plans, a game I'll be making will use both the Structures and Creatures mod. Thankfully my last updates added every important bit of functionality I wanted: I remember I even added stealth game mechanics... such as the AI seeing players based on their light level and and traceable visibility, which will allow sneaking into buildings and walking behind cover.

There are still a few future plans in store, however they are for modules. One is a chat system, through which players can communicate in the chat with bots... I think I even considered implementing a chatbot system, or alternatively having branching dialogues for procedurally generated missions and stories.

But yeah: It would really help if more servers were willing to adopt this mod and give it a try. Obviously it changes the gameplay quite a bit, especially since players start as ghosts and need to possess a mob in order to gain a body and be able to fully interact with the world. Still this is part of what makes it different and more interesting!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote: Sadly I haven't been working on it during the last year either, as well as anything Minetest related. Haven't had any motivation since RealBadAngel died, especially after seeing zero progress on new shaders and graphical improvements since. Maybe I will again at some point depending on what happens!
I'm sure RBA would have prefered you to continue on your mod and using what he created. The devs continue their work, but not everybody is an expert on graphics.
MirceaKitsune wrote: There are still a few future plans in store, however they are for modules. One is a chat system, through which players can communicate in the chat with bots... I think I even considered implementing a chatbot system, or alternatively having branching dialogues for procedurally generated missions and stories.
Have a look at the lightweight mob api. It has bots that love to chat with the player and with each other :-) They're already advanced enough to mimic not-too-bright players on a server. Missions and stories would of course be great as well. AdventureTest has quests to some degree.
MirceaKitsune wrote: But yeah: It would really help if more servers were willing to adopt this mod and give it a try. Obviously it changes the gameplay quite a bit, especially since players start as ghosts and need to possess a mob in order to gain a body and be able to fully interact with the world. Still this is part of what makes it different and more interesting!
Maybe you ought to call it "control" instead of "possess". Also it would be great if diffrently shaped mobs could be offered, not just humanoid ones. The various attributes a mob has could also come in handy in some situations. Want to mine? Control a mob who's strong enough. Want to craft something complex? Change to a mob that is more intelligent and knows how to craft what you want. It wouldn't be too diffrent from RPG/adventure-style games. Those sometimes allow to switch between characters. Switching ought to be possible without having to die first.

Getting a body as the first step also makes it a bit difficult for new players on servers. They need to be told somehow what they have to do in order to be able to interact with the world. It's a bit tricky if the most difficult step is the first one.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:
There are still a few future plans in store, however they are for modules. One is a chat system, through which players can communicate in the chat with bots... I think I even considered implementing a chatbot system, or alternatively having branching dialogues for procedurally generated missions and stories.

But yeah: It would really help if more servers were willing to adopt this mod and give it a try. Obviously it changes the gameplay quite a bit, especially since players start as ghosts and need to possess a mob in order to gain a body and be able to fully interact with the world. Still this is part of what makes it different and more interesting!
Grandolf (A LOTT mod) might be interested in the chat part, he's making a server I think.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Yes... I'm sure he would. Part of what made Minetest a depressing subject for me is that, myself and RBA had plans to work on a lot of things, such as the realtime lighting system... so there's also the knowledge that this will likely never happen any more either. Another issue is I'm busy working in so many other engines, including other open-source games... some of them Patreon projects I make a living off, which my Minetest game might itself become if it takes off!

By chat bot, I was thinking of an actual chatbot implemented into the mod: The type where you say something, and an AI tries to reply to you like it's a real person (usually failing miserably at that). It's done on websites, but never seen it used in an actual game. Still this might be overkill... perhaps missions and dialogues with branching paths are what I should focus on first.

Possess felt like the most correct term... the player is a ghost which takes control of a mob in order to become a physical person, and can freely jump in an out of a mob at any time to change bodies. Also you can in fact possess any creature you want, from people (human or anthro) to monsters (dirt / stone / tree / etc monsters) to animals (mice, rabbits, sheep, so on)... each has their own inventory size and player physics settings.

This mod could indeed be really good for the game Lord of the Test (or what it was called), as it fits its usual theme very nicely and provides just the right functionality! Of course it will require new creature definitions written specifically for my mod, but that should be about it. Actually I remember I took the clothing textures for the humans from that mod altogether, so hey!

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:Yes... I'm sure he would. Part of what made Minetest a depressing subject for me is that, myself and RBA had plans to work on a lot of things, such as the realtime lighting system... so there's also the knowledge that this will likely never happen any more either. Another issue is I'm busy working in so many other engines, including other open-source games... some of them Patreon projects I make a living off, which my Minetest game might itself become if it takes off!

By chat bot, I was thinking of an actual chatbot implemented into the mod: The type where you say something, and an AI tries to reply to you like it's a real person (usually failing miserably at that). It's done on websites, but never seen it used in an actual game. Still this might be overkill... perhaps missions and dialogues with branching paths are what I should focus on first.

Possess felt like the most correct term... the player is a ghost which takes control of a mob in order to become a physical person, and can freely jump in an out of a mob at any time to change bodies. Also you can in fact possess any creature you want, from people (human or anthro) to monsters (dirt / stone / tree / etc monsters) to animals (mice, rabbits, sheep, so on)... each has their own inventory size and player physics settings.

This mod could indeed be really good for the game Lord of the Test (or what it was called), as it fits its usual theme very nicely and provides just the right functionality! Of course it will require new creature definitions written specifically for my mod, but that should be about it. Actually I remember I took the clothing textures for the humans from that mod altogether, so hey!
Grandolf is making his own server. Sorry :/ I'm bad at explaining myself...

rendeko

by rendeko » Post

Maybe to fix the barrier of entry problem with the default init.lua editing, the mod could have the ghost feature as it's own mod in the modpack? I think that'd also encourage more use of this mod as a framework. I definitely want to use this mod in my gametype, but the ghost feature doesn't really fit the theme.