[Mod] Protector Redo [3.4] [protector]

Dan2018

Re: [Mod] Protector Redo [2.7] [protector]

by Dan2018 » Post

Protection doesnt seem to work on normal doors its been found out.
It doesnt destroy it but the flip and hurt setting doesnt work, means if you keep trying you can eventually walk/glitch through the door.

Server is now trying to replace all their doors with the proper protected.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Default wooden door is always open for all, same way the locked door is locked to all but owner, but if you want to change this check out Doors Redo which provides a key tool to open,lock,protect any door registered with the door mod.

spixi
GitHub: spixi

by spixi » Post

The file https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/protector/ ... r_logo.png is a copyright violation. It is a downsized version of the Battle for Wesnoth logo (https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... h-icon.png), which is licensed under the GPL, but your mod uses an incompatible license

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

it is not the actual logo itself but a crude miniature made in gimp.

spixi

by spixi » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:it is not the actual logo itself but a crude miniature made in gimp.
But it is still a derivative work. It is exactly that image scaled down to 16x16 px.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

spixi: the 32px texture included has no yellow rim or shield logo in the centre or sword detail to that matter, it's not the same texture.

spixi

by spixi » Post

I don't know. For me it looks to similar to the Battle for Wesnoth logo, to be honest. What about this logo I just made from scratch? I release it under CC0, so you may use it as alternative.

This is a small impression, how it looks like.

Edit:
I found the original image and it is in fact the same, just a little darker. Look for favicon2.png.
https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39851
Attachments
logo_new.png
logo_new.png (857 Bytes) Viewed 1914 times

wziard

by wziard » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:spixi: the 32px texture included has no yellow rim or shield logo in the centre or sword detail to that matter, it's not the same texture.
If I overlay the wesnoth logo scaled down over the protector logo, they are supiciously similar. It looks like the same logo with the colors slightly changed, at least the shield outline is an exact match. Could be a coincidence (after all, a shield shape is a shield shape and 16 pixels are not too many) but to prevent hassle I'd change it.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

I doubt that this is a coincidence.
The brighter colour might be the result of gamma correct downscaling, which was added to gimp not very long ago.
Maybe the original texture is not from wesnoth but some common more freely licensed (WTFPL or CC0) ancestor.
Attachments
2018-12-01-211309_1920x1080_scrot.png
2018-12-01-211309_1920x1080_scrot.png (21.81 KiB) Viewed 1914 times

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

lister

by lister » Post

is there a priv for using this? we are firing off a hardcore death server, and protection (by default) seems a bit silly there, and this mod is oh-so-sweet :D

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The only privelage that the mod uses is 'protection_bypass' so that admin players can override protected areas and dig/place etc.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Thank you again very much for your creativity and the active maintenance to this mod.

The coverage of both doors and chests and the formspec interface additions are very welcome. Please consider my Pull request #10 Protected Sakura Wood Door introduced as a contribution. The sakura tree and the sakura wood door of your excellent ethereal mod are very nice ideas indeed.

TenPlus1

Updated to version 2.8

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Added 'protector_show_interval' setting to minetest.conf [default is 5 seconds]
- Code tidy

snoopy

Re: Updated to version 2.8

by snoopy » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:- Added 'protector_show_interval' setting to minetest.conf [default is 5 seconds]
- Code tidy
Thank you very much.

Furthermore, I learned that one should use the 'doors' mod redo to enjoy more protected doors including but not limited to the sakura door apparently. Good advice.

snoopy

[protector] Protection Mese Lamp

by snoopy » Post

Please have a look at my Pull Request: #13 Provide a 'Protection Mese Lamp' node

Please consider to provide a 'Protection Mese Lamp' node "protector:meselamp" by change of code to a reusable function for registration of different looking protector nodes. There are two new PNGs included in my contribution:
  • protector_logo_ray.png
  • protector_overlay_ray.png
The PNG files were reduced in size by help of the OptiPNG tool as appropriate.

The 'Protection Mese Lamp' node emanates light and has the same functionalities like the 'Protection Block' node.

A view on a 'Mese Lamp', a 'Protection Block' and the new 'Protection Mese Lamp' from left to right.

The 'Protection Mese Lamp' is crafted from a 'Protection Block' and a 'Mese Lamp' in a simple but rather expensive recipe.

Crafting the new 'Protection Mese Lamp' from a 'Protection Block' and a 'Mese Lamp' in the inventory.
The bottom row shows the standard protection nodes and the screwdriver.

@TenPlus1 :
I would appreciate if you could include this into your code base as update to the official 'protector' mod.
My a.m. contribution gives heed to the 'Protector Mese Lamp' in all the resp. lua files as appropriate, hopefully.

Hope this is fun.
Attachments
Crafting the new 'Protection Mese Lamp' from a 'Protection Block' and a 'Mese Lamp'
Crafting the new 'Protection Mese Lamp' from a 'Protection Block' and a 'Mese Lamp'
Protector_Meselamp02a.jpg (41.43 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
A view on a 'Mese Lamp', a 'Protection Block' and the new 'Protection Mese Lamp' from left to right.
Protector_Meselamp01a.jpg (79.02 KiB) Viewed 1914 times

TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Protector Redo [2.8] [protector]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Why not place a Protection Logo on top of a Meselamp to give the same look ?

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Why not place a Protection Logo on top of a Meselamp to give the same look ?
Good question.

(1) My first approach was not in consideration of the burden on computing. This view is on the visuals only.

IMHO the logo all around looks weird and may be the reason why the 'Protection Block' was designed alike in the past time.

I made several tries and a logo on the top tile, either logo or logo_ray, just looks weird. The overlay seems the most appropriate solution to me.

Why a new logo_ray and and not the logo you may ask? The Mese Lamp is a shiny thing and brings light. To me it is more natural to have a ray of light and not a black and white logo attached. The new logo_ray.png is just a color changed copy of the logo.png file.
TenPlus1 wrote:While it could have been a nice addition, adding more protectors to the mix will slow down the constant checks during every dig/place/interact for each player, which is why I added a Protector Logo that could easily be placed on the face of any block in the game to give the same look.
(2) Second review in consideration of the burden on computing after the closing of my Pull Request by TenPlus1 today.

This may be rather unfortunate for the creativity but is a good example of the technical challenges. Apparently, already the addtional third node in an area check would lead to lag and related negative issues in the world of MT game computing. There seems to be a thin line for trade off between creativity and computability.

The reasonable option to use a custom texture pack which has a different protector_logo.png would not meet my expectations. I like the current design and just want to add another look and wanted to add another node intentionally without changing the existing looks or nodes.

Hopefully, I understood the concepts correctly and could provide a reasonably reviewed answer.

(3) This MT programming is a nice little hobby and brings me fun even when I may fail in some of my poor efforts. Living is learning and programming may be involved. Nevertheless, my code change worked but failed only because of reasons in burden to the MT computing and in LuaJIT apparently.

Last not least a big thanks to TenPlus1 for taking my request into consideration and for the kind advice.
Last edited by snoopy on Mon May 20, 2019 16:04, edited 6 times in total.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

If this mod provided an API for registering custom protection nodes your Meselamp protector could be done as an addon mod
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:If this mod provided an API for registering custom protection nodes your Meselamp protector could be done as an addon mod
The current protection nodes are all that is really needed, and there are too many types of lights to choose just one to be a protector. With an API, mods that add lights could add a protector variant. Unless it is true that adding more types of protector nodes increases the time to find them.

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

auouymous wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:If this mod provided an API for registering custom protection nodes your Meselamp protector could be done as an addon mod
The current protection nodes are all that is really needed, and there are too many types of lights to choose just one to be a protector. With an API, mods that add lights could add a protector variant. Unless it is true that adding more types of protector nodes increases the time to find them.
If you are going to implement various protector blocks (or an api for it) you could use groups for all of them.

For example a "protector" group.
A lookup would simply search by group instead of the actual node:

Code: Select all

minetest.find_nodes_in_area(pos1, pos2, {"group:protector"})
I don't think there would be performance issues with that...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Buckaroo - I thought of that then realised it could be exploited by CSM by having many group blocks created which would in turn lag the check and make it unreliable due to lag (players could dig then move through before it replaced).
I'm gonna stick with the protector block and simple logo to place on an existing block, although I'm up for a logo redesign if anyone has ideas :)

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Buckaroo - I thought of that then realised it could be exploited by CSM by having many group blocks created which would in turn lag the check and make it unreliable due to lag (players could dig then move through before it replaced).
I'm gonna stick with the protector block and simple logo to place on an existing block, although I'm up for a logo redesign if anyone has ideas :)
Players can dig through before the nodes are replaced anyway. Not really a good fix for it
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Lol, good point Lone_Wolf, all depends on the server lag, but that's why I added the protector_flip option :P

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I've used protector when I started playing Minecraft on public servers. its a good simple way for players to protect their builds that doesn't rely on commands (which typically confuse or are ignored by most players).

I run protector in my publicly hosted "simple" server and its great! Players learn how to use it quickly and use it as intended quite easily.

Today I was testing enabling TNT and fire in my server. Its nice to see that protector has TNT and explosions protection. It also doesn't allow players to ignite fires on other people's buildings. However, I was able to ignite a protector test-building by igniting an adjacent tree just outside of the protection block's radius. In the future, could support be considered to prevent something like this?

Fire is probably too spreadable to leave on my server right now anyways, even if Procetor_Redo had support for it.

Also, a bit nitpicky, but would a feature that lets other players see protection radius of other player's area's make sense? I like the highlighting feature it has, but I'm wondering if it would make sense to show some sort of radius somehow to other players without it being obtrusive.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Thanks jeremy, sadly tree's just outside a protected area will eventually spread the flame inside it so it's up to owners to protect things, and yeah I would recommend disabling fire spread on your server for this reason :)

As for viewing a protected area, apart from being able to punch the protector and see your own area, or look at the HUD display bottom left to see who's area you are inside, I'll have to look into that more and see what else can be added.