[Mod] Protector Redo [3.2] [protector]

TenPlus1
GitHub: tenplus1

Re: [Mod] Protector Redo [1.0] [protector]

by TenPlus1 » Post

OK, so we can end this drawn out conversation I am NOT changing Protection Redo so that bones will be unprotected for players to simply take from a protected area... People do use them for decoration in their builds and it wouldn't be fair to them if someone came up and simply removed their bone nodes...

Speak to minetest devs about changing bones mod so that after a while of being OLD bones, it will drop it's contents onto the floor with the bones itself for other players to pick up... Self tidying :)

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

Re: [Mod] Protector Redo [1.0] [protector]

by Fixer » Post

Hi, will make quote of my post:
could you please fix that protector bug where you can place cactus, wood, trunks, sand, gravel, dirt and possibly other blocks in protected areas? I already see it on your server.
People got so much pain with protectors, there is a list of blocks that you can place on another people territory and only them will be able to remove them, as time goes on, map turns into mess :) Have not heard about this?

TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Protector Redo [1.1] [protector]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Version 1.1 just released with a new feature inspired by denaid, a protector_pvp switch added to minetest.conf and set to true stops other players from hurting you inside of your own protected areas, giving players a safe zone from pvp.

Addition: also added protector_pvp_spawn to set radius around spawn area to disable pvp for new starts...

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

Re: [Mod] Protector Redo [1.1] [protector]

by maikerumine » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Version 1.1 just released with a new feature inspired by denaid, a protector_pvp switch added to minetest.conf and set to true stops other players from hurting you inside of your own protected areas, giving players a safe zone from pvp.

Addition: also added protector_pvp_spawn to set radius around spawn area to disable pvp for new starts...
Awesome. I have been wanting this for a while!
Extreme Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Protector Redo [1.2] [protector]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Added shift and click support for Minetest 0.4.13 to quickly copy stacks to and from protected chest...

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Ten,

is it possible for someone to bypass protection with server lag and or a stronger pickaxe?

Today on my server I witnessed with my own eyes two griefers mining away in a clearly protected area, stealing the blocks in the protected zone.

please advise.
EDIT:

please disregard, I accidentally gave a privilege to an unauthorized user.
Extreme Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Eek, gotta protect that 'delprotect' priv.

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

Nice improvements, Tenplus1.

The other day I was thinking that an area protection mod would be useful not only for multiplayer servers were you want to protect something, but also for challenge/adventure maps if there was a way lock all protected areas even for singleplayer.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a "protector_lock_all" minetest.conf option that protects the areas from absolutely all players (including the owner and those with delprotect).

This way the map creator can just change stuff in singleplayer even while protecting it but whenever he feels the map is ready for shipping, he toggles the flag in minetest.conf and nobody that plays his map will be able to destroy blocks in the areas that were protected.

Or maybe you can think of some other way.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ferk: Personally I wouldn't give anyone the 'delprotect' privelage apart from the most trusted of admin, so the map in question would be safe anyhoo. Anyone else who needs access to an area can have their names added to the protection blocks.
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

Ferk

by Ferk » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Personally I wouldn't give anyone the 'delprotect' privelage apart from the most trusted of admin, so the map in question would be safe anyhoo. Anyone else who needs access to an area can have their names added to the protection blocks.
Was that an answer to me? Sorry if it wasn't, I'm a bit confused.

Singleplayer has by default all the priviledges (except for fly, noclip and fast), you can't even revoke delprotect from singleplayer (the engine seems to be inflexible here). Also, the point of my suggestion is to allow people to just make a singleplayer game, protect it and then lock it. Otherwise they would have to create a multiplayer server every time they want to edit the world just so that they can register a different player name as the owner of the protected areas (and this still wouldn't work because singleplayer has delprotect).

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ferk: I understand what you are suggesting now, will look into that.

TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Protector Redo [1.3] [protector]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Updated to 1.3: Code has been tidied and tweaked so that on_place is now inside node definition, also protected zone display appears for 5 seconds now instead of 10.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Fixed protector overlap bug thanks to Xanthin, could any server owner using this mod please update.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I'm always unhappy when a server uses a protector-based mod instead of an areas based one. It is very tricky to protect even a relatively small building due to all those overlapping problems. Most of the time the griefers win, and the time used to build a house is wasted more than ever :-( There are other players who seem to get along with the way protectors work, but I don't.

Would it be possible to add at least a command that allows owners of an area to add people who can build there to more than one protector in one go? It's sometimes tricky to find all conflicting protectors. Or, perhaps easier, add a command so that a player can allow other players to build everywhere where he (the player granting the right) has a protector. And if there's overlapping, some information like "Protector at x,y,z owned by whoever causes a conflict" might be more informative. A "fill this area with protectors owned by me" command might also help. In general, er, I want something like areas :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

i guess that would mean that you have to use areas instead of protectors, but another idea would be to add different types of protectors with different sizes.

the protector/logo uses stone and iron/copper.
other protectors could be made from sandstone/obsidian and use bronze/mese shards.
the types could be:
- road sign (a protector with a small area to be paced under roads)
- tower protector (a protector with a slightly smaller area that is much higher than the others)
- landmark (a protector with a wider area than the others)

the road sign would not only be for roads but also to cover small holes in the protection or to operate in high populated areas.
the tower protector can also be used for trees.
the landmark would be good for farms or very large buildings.
=(^.^)= nyan~

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Sokomine: I see many MANY builds on server which are easily protected with node protection instead of areas, and in the later versions the protection radius can be increased. imho this is still the easiest and quickest way to protect buildings.

Ferk

by Ferk » Post

She's got a point that it would probably make sense to show if any protectors from other players conflict when you are placing the protector. Specially if they actually prevent any player from building there, even if they are owners.
Perhaps you could search for conflicting ones just like this?

Code: Select all

local conflicting_protectors = minetest.find_node_near(pos, 2*protector_radius, {"protector:protect"})
And then exclude from the array anything owned by the player scanning.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ferk: Protector Redo already does that when placing protection, it checks 2x area around itself to see if anyone else's protection is present, also when used as a tool it will show you the location of nearby protectors.

Ferk

by Ferk » Post

Ok, then maybe those servers are using the old protector. They should update to protector redo then.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It might also be possible to allow to place a protector if there's a conflicting protector owned by someone else but where the placer is amongst those who have been added to the protector. The owner of the conflicting protector could be added to the new protector automaticly.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

If a player is added to an already existing protection node and tries to place their own protector inside that area it wont work, it's up to the main player who owns that area to place another node and add the player themselves.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

TenPlus1 wrote: If a player is added to an already existing protection node and tries to place their own protector inside that area it wont work, it's up to the main player who owns that area to place another node and add the player themselves.
...who can't place that protector either because the next best protector from player2 will interfere. In the area between player1 and player2, neither can place a protector even though they share all the protectors they can find. I know why that is the case (=undefined situation in case build privs at one end are removed), but still...it is extremly annoying. It's also something based on the core of how protectors work.

Ferk

by Ferk » Post

Maybe there could be some priority value.

Something like allow the protector to be placed in an unprotected node even if other protectors conflict in the area, but after doing so make the placed protector have a lower priority than any of the conflicting protectors that were placed before it. In such a way that you can still own the piece of land in between conflicting areas without affecting the areas around that were previously owned.

You'll have a smaller area but you'll still be able to protect it and fill the gap in case you ever want to get closer to the neighbor without doing a complete merge.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Ferk wrote: Something like allow the protector to be placed in an unprotected node even if other protectors conflict in the area, but after doing so make the placed protector have a lower priority than any of the conflicting protectors that were placed before it. In such a way that you can still own the piece of land in between conflicting areas without affecting the areas around that were previously owned.
That's a good idea! All it'd take is storing the date when a protector was placed (first comes..) and some more logic when there's more than one of them lurking around. That way, griefers won't be able to exploit those holes by griefing anymore.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Which leads to an overcomplicated and laggy mod checking protectors around an area instead of simple placing them properly in the first place.