[mod] Underground Realms [0.8] [caverealms]

rubberduck
IRC: rbduck
In-game: rubberduck

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.4] [caverealms]

by rubberduck » Post

i really like this mod, so cool biomes.
and i have some more ideas for biomes too:

a salt-crystal biome: color could be rose/pink with cubic crystal structures representing salt crystals, size could range from 2x2 to 4x4 or 5x5.
ground could be transparent like in the glaciated biome, but light could come from under the ground
in these salt crystals could be glowing blocks too.

my other idea is a snowy biome, a bit like the glaciated biome, but with snow on it
there could be snowblocks making it look more bright and white.
adding these blue crystals could add more light too
in this biome you find a lot of quartz ore (if this mod is installed), also diamont could be a bit more common here
My game (not minetest): http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6800

my mods: gold_and_gem, meseconductors

a penguin throws an apple through a window

sometimes i change my "forum location" via user control panel

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

rubberduck wrote:i really like this mod, so cool biomes.
and i have some more ideas for biomes too:

a salt-crystal biome: color could be rose/pink with cubic crystal structures representing salt crystals, size could range from 2x2 to 4x4 or 5x5.
ground could be transparent like in the glaciated biome, but light could come from under the ground
in these salt crystals could be glowing blocks too.

my other idea is a snowy biome, a bit like the glaciated biome, but with snow on it
there could be snowblocks making it look more bright and white.
adding these blue crystals could add more light too
in this biome you find a lot of quartz ore (if this mod is installed), also diamont could be a bit more common here
Interesting ideas! Perhaps I can implement some over break. I like the salt biome idea, but I think snow is a bit of a stretch, since there isn't any rain/snow underground. I might try the quartz idea though...
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

Zeno
GitHub: Zeno-

by Zeno » Post

I made "deep realms" for MTZ. Pretty cool (IMHO)

rubberduck
IRC: rbduck
In-game: rubberduck

by rubberduck » Post

i also have a mod idea that is based on this.
i have planned to make this mod, but that is a bit far away (a few month or later)

my idea is to make a mod where you can craft cool things out of stuff found there:

some examples i would like i implement first then:
a crystal block made from these glow gems
a glowing rope mode from glow-worms
mushroom-block/stairs/slabs
melting crystals (not these glow gems) to glass

you could implement some of these too, if you want.

also these glow-ores should drop crystal looking items (like mese-ore >> mese crystal) and not these ores
these crystals then could be used for recipes too.
My game (not minetest): http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6800

my mods: gold_and_gem, meseconductors

a penguin throws an apple through a window

sometimes i change my "forum location" via user control panel

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Zeno wrote:I made "deep realms" for MTZ. Pretty cool (IMHO)
I actually was thinking of officially making that concept part of CaveRealms. I saw your fork, and like what you've done! However, I think I'll do a different version of the obsidian deep-realm, using physically different looking obsidian varieties.

@rubberduck: Those are some neat ideas! I originally wanted to make my glow ores drop gems, but forgot to go back and do that. Maybe I can do that when I get back on the job... Actually, it isn't that hard to make mushroom blocks work with moreblocks, but I can't remember what exactly I'd have to do. I think it involves editing moreblocks' circular saw... But I don't think I'll get around to those right away, so feel free to make a mod! I like the glow-worm rope idea (however impractical / slightly gross it is. xD ).

fireuser

Underground Realms idea

by fireuser » Post

Could you make it so you spawn in these caves? I have tried to make you spawn in caves, but failed miserably. I love under ground and it would make it easy to find the caves. (because you spawn in them Du) Any ways it's kind of stupid so if you don't like it, forget about it. It would probably only cause trouble. Thanks : )

HeroOfTheWinds

Re: Underground Realms idea

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

fireuser wrote:Could you make it so you spawn in these caves? I have tried to make you spawn in caves, but failed miserably. I love under ground and it would make it easy to find the caves. (because you spawn in them Du) Any ways it's kind of stupid so if you don't like it, forget about it. It would probably only cause trouble. Thanks : )
This is an interesting post that I definitely should address. It is theoretically possible to make it so that you spawn in caves, primarily by adapting the same code paramat uses for spawning on his custom mapgens like watershed. I may add an option for this if I can successfully adapt the code, but I will state that it is a complicated problem. In particular, you usually cannot read perlin noise values from ungenerated parts of the world. The only chunk generated at run time is the one centered around 0,0,0... Or at least in a small distance from there.

EDIT: I guess one possible solution is to use register_on_newplayer() to teleport the player down some 1000 blocks (ideally toward the center of a chunk), then call a special spawnplayer() function adapted from watershed, most likely in minetest.after(). Probably also have to return a bool to see if a cave was found, or else spawn lower yet. Will get to it after the main push of college finals are over.

Looks like I have plenty to keep me busy. :)

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

I use CaveRealms with an accelerated version of Catacombs and its nothing short of insane
Its so easy to just get completely lost in all of it.

Some CaveRealm specific mobs would be a nice touch.
But they would have to be "other worldly" and I think hard to create.
Right now I use DJ's Senderman as CaveRealms mob of choice just cuz its kinda creepy,
but I think something original is called for in such a place.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

While we are bouncing around some Underground Realms ideas. I have one that may or may NOT fit with the CaveRealms theme.

I was wondering, what if, at a certain depth, and it would need to be really deep, 15,000? 20,000? Anyway, at some specific depth, would it be possible to create an underground world something like Professor Lidenbrock discovers in Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" ???

This would be a vast realm that was no longer cave like, but world like. With a high roof illuminated by something resembling the Aurora Borealis. Brighter than the moon, but not as bright as the sun. (can minetest handle that?)

Here is the description from "Journey to the Center of the Earth"
Journey To The Center Of The Earth wrote:At first I saw absolutely nothing. My eyes, wholly unused to the effulgence of light, could not bear the sudden brightness; and I was compelled to close them. When I was able to reopen them, I stood still, far more stupefied than astonished. Not all the wildest effects of imagination could have conjured up such a scene! "The sea--the sea," I cried.

"Yes," replied my uncle, in a tone of pardonable pride; "the Central Sea. No future navigator will deny the fact of my having discovered it; and hence of acquiring a right of giving it a name."

It was quite true. A vast, limitless expanse of water, the end of a lake if not of an ocean, spread before us, until it was lost in the distance. The shore, which was very much indented, consisted of a beautiful soft golden sand, mixed with small shells, the long-deserted home of some of the creatures of a past age. The waves broke incessantly--and with a peculiarly sonorous murmur, to be found in underground localities. A slight frothy flake arose as the wind blew along the pellucid waters; and many a dash of spray was blown into my face. The mighty superstructure of rock which rose above to an inconceivable height left only a narrow opening--but where we stood, there was a large margin of strand. On all sides were capes and promontories and enormous cliffs, partially worn by the eternal breaking of the waves, through countless ages! And as I gazed from side to side, the mighty rocks faded away like a fleecy film of cloud.

It was in reality an ocean, with all the usual characteristics of an inland sea, only horribly wild--so rigid, cold and savage.

One thing startled and puzzled me greatly. How was it that I was able to look upon that vast sheet of water instead of being plunged in utter darkness? The vast landscape before me was lit up like day. But there was wanting the dazzling brilliancy, the splendid irradiation of the sun; the pale cold illumination of the moon; the brightness of the stars. The illuminating power in this subterranean region, from its trembling and flickering character, its clear dry whiteness, the very slight elevation of its temperature, its great superiority to that of the moon, was evidently electric; something in the nature of the aurora borealis, only that its phenomena were constant, and able to light up the whole of the ocean cavern.

The tremendous vault above our heads, the sky, so to speak, appeared to be composed of a conglomeration of nebulous vapors, in constant motion. I should originally have supposed that, under such an atmospheric pressure as must exist in that place, the evaporation of water could not really take place, and yet from the action of some physical law, which escaped my memory, there were heavy and dense clouds rolling along that mighty vault, partially concealing the roof. Electric currents produced astonishing play of light and shade in the distance, especially around the heavier clouds. Deep shadows were cast beneath, and then suddenly, between two clouds, there would come a ray of unusual beauty, and remarkable intensity. And yet it was not like the sun, for it gave no heat.
I'm just picturing a world where, above sea level, you have more floating islands than you could ever explore in a lifetime, changing to "heaven realms" and other interesting biomes as you go further upwards.

And below sea level, you have over 10,000 nodes worth of glorious cave realms with crystals, underground forest of mushrooms, lakes of lava, and fantastic stalactites and stalagmites. Keep digging and you hit the dangerous (but rewarding!) Dungeon Masters realm. And if you dig deep enough, you open up a whole new world with a glowing sky, jungles, seas, mountains, and perhaps even dinosaur mobs?

Like I said, I'm not certain if it fits with your vision or not. OR, if Minetest could handle the lighting requirements. But I think a world where you keep discovering, not just new realms, but entirely new kinds of realms as you explore the vast vertical space of Minetest is incredibly appealing. Your SkyTest and Underground Realms games are wonderful for achieving that feeling of endless discovery!

indriApollo
GitHub: indriApollo
IRC: indriApollo
In-game: SudoAptGetPlay

by indriApollo » Post

Wow that idea is really amazing !! With photorealostic shaders it could be a skyrimtest :D I really love this idea of levels. I'm do hyped now !!!!!!

Colored lightning and dynamic shadows would bring a massive immersion boost. Just imagine the shadow of your character enlightened by the purple halo comming from stalactytes on the roof xO (like trine 2)

I'm dreaming ...

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

I certainly love that idea, and I like how far you have taken it. I have always thought of Journey to the Centre of the Earth while making this mod, especially the lush ocean and environments in the passage described. Naturally, I have had a few discussions about the lighting required, and found out the following: lights on the ceiling at best would reach 14 blocks down, and only dimly. However, you can fake the lighting, and have the whole floor covered with invisible light-giving nodes that you would never know existed.

I especially like the idea of doing away with the caves and making it a whole world when you get very deep. In fact, it would not be all that difficult to port a mod like noise23 to the underground version with a glowing roof and floor, and various decorations like mushrooms and ferns, seas and lava lakes. It would certainly be a bit more CPU intensive than before, but well worth it imho. I'll try tackling that over break.

All in all, it completely fits with my vision, and even expands it a bit. However, I shall leave it to someone else to make dinosaur mobs or other cave mobs, as that should be a separate add-on, since there are still many people who don't care for mobs very much.

Thanks for the ideas!

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

I have started work on dinosaur mobs in the past, but like always, I'm easily distracted and never completed them.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

ExeterDad wrote:I have started work on dinosaur mobs in the past, but like always, I'm easily distracted and never completed them.
It is a shame that you never completed it. Dino mobs would be awesome.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Don wrote:
ExeterDad wrote:I have started work on dinosaur mobs in the past, but like always, I'm easily distracted and never completed them.
It is a shame that you never completed it. Dino mobs would be awesome.
They're on the back burner for a bit. I want them pretty bad, so I'm sure I'll work on them again :)

HeroOfTheWinds

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.5] [caverealms]

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Alright, so I checked one item off the to-do list: allow for spawning in the caves!

Thanks to paramat's code for spawning players in watershed, I was able to simplify and modify his code to allow for automatic spawning in the caverealms. And the best part? It happens so fast you hardly realize it happened.

By default, the option in the config file for turning this on and off is deactivated, but you merely need to change the value to true in order for it to work. It will first try spawning you around -960 nodes deep, and lower you by another 80 nodes if the search fails. The area for spawning is quite large, around 2000 nodes away from 0,0,0 in some cases.

There is one known bug at this time: sometimes you will spawn near the walls or ceiling of the cave, and thereby have a nasty drop. Either disable damage or deal with the initial death, since respawning after hitting the floor will leave you right where you are, as that spot fulfills the spawn conditions.

Now to actually work on adding new visual features...

HeroOfTheWinds

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.8] [caverealms]

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Here they are, the Deep Realms! Once you cross the -7000 depth, these biomes replace the regular caves, now adding three new environments: the salt crystal biome, the glowing obsidian biome, and the coal dust biome.

The salt crystal environment is marked by its translucent floors, salt crystal decorations, and large, cubic, and pink salt crystals.

The glowing obsidian biome is just what it sounds like: two new kinds of obsidian that glow, although the reddish one has traces of lava in it. So if you get trapped in one of those blocks, you will take damage. Fires also dot the landscape.

Finally, the coal dust biome is the cave variant of a desert, featuring both desert sand and stone mini-stalagmites. However, the biome gets its name from the black dust blocks and coal blocks that mottle the landscape. The coal dust can also be crafted into coal blocks by placing them 3x3 on the crafting grid.

Special thanks to `Zeno for the original concept in his fork.

On a side note, to explain the sudden version jump from 0.5 -> 0.8:
0.5 = option to spawn in caves by default
0.6 = first deep realm (salt)
0.7 = second deep realm (obsidian)
0.8 = current product

...So tempted to jump from 0.8 to 2.0, a la Cave Story.

leeminer

Re: [mod] Underground Realms [0.5] [caverealms]

by leeminer » Post

I think this idea is a solid one. The lack of underground biomes, giant caverns etc suprises me. Another change to Minetest I think would be very cool!

fireuser

by fireuser » Post

This is over my every expectation! You really out did your self HeroOfTheWinds. When I was asking the question of spawning in caves, I thought it was nearly impossible. This is was I have wanted for so long. I like the huge underground world Idea. Hope It works out. :D

voxeldork
IRC: voxeldork
In-game: voxeldork

by voxeldork » Post

Oh my god this is so amazing. Me and a friend have been playing on a server for the last couple weeks with this mod installed, and we would really hate to get rid of our current progress but really dig these new biomes. Will we be able to just upgrade the mod version on the server with no issues? Or do we need a new map?

If it matters, it's the version included in dreambuilder. We've already found 2 of these caves and neither of them have been fully generated/explored. (they're so huge!)

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

voxeldork wrote:Oh my god this is so amazing. Me and a friend have been playing on a server for the last couple weeks with this mod installed, and we would really hate to get rid of our current progress but really dig these new biomes. Will we be able to just upgrade the mod version on the server with no issues? Or do we need a new map?

If it matters, it's the version included in dreambuilder. We've already found 2 of these caves and neither of them have been fully generated/explored. (they're so huge!)
Now THAT is a a notable screen name! Welcome to the forums voxeldork :)

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

voxeldork wrote:Oh my god this is so amazing. Me and a friend have been playing on a server for the last couple weeks with this mod installed, and we would really hate to get rid of our current progress but really dig these new biomes. Will we be able to just upgrade the mod version on the server with no issues? Or do we need a new map?

Indeed, you should be able to upgrade it with no problem, although the caves that are only partway explored with have a sudden, very clean line made by two different biomes intersecting. However, if your caves are above -7000 level, there will be absolutely no problem.

Wow, I wasn't even aware that this was included in DreamBuilder now. Thanks, VanessaE! Also, upon looking closer, I see that she is using `Zeno's fork. This has just a couple notable deviations from my version: the deep realms are completely different, some depth values for biome shifts are different, and I believe that mycena mushrooms can vary in size in his version. Some of the ground material also has soil value... And he added "deep deep caves," which is basically a farther down dungeon master realm using morestones and gloopblocks to add really hard rock. You can look here ( https://github.com/HeroOfTheWinds/minet ... ms/network ) to get an in-depth view of how things differ between branches.

To summarize, nothing will absolutely break, but they might bend a bit. Nothing you already have will disappear either. I also plan to make some huge additions over the next couple weeks, and I can say that I have high hopes for them. Some of the simpler changes from Zeno's branch, namely adding soil values, will be added along with it. But don't hesitate to download and update your server; if you haven't gotten down to the deep realms in your version yet, you have almost nothing to lose.

Zeno
GitHub: Zeno-

by Zeno » Post

I'm keeping an eye on this and will merge changes into the "Zeno branch" (unless I don't like them I guess :P)

I added "soil type" to some node so that underground forests were easier to plant. I like undergound forests for some reason.

Edit: And as HeroOfTheWinds said you won't encounter problems in already generated areas. In fact, on Onez's Server there are caverealms from different eras as the mod evolved. Kind of like a visual history of progression.

voxeldork
IRC: voxeldork
In-game: voxeldork

by voxeldork » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:

Indeed, you should be able to upgrade it with no problem, although the caves that are only partway explored with have a sudden, very clean line made by two different biomes intersecting. However, if your caves are above -7000 level, there will be absolutely no problem

To summarize, nothing will absolutely break, but they might bend a bit. Nothing you already have will disappear either. I also plan to make some huge additions over the next couple weeks, and I can say that I have high hopes for them. Some of the simpler changes from Zeno's branch, namely adding soil values, will be added along with it. But don't hesitate to download and update your server; if you haven't gotten down to the deep realms in your version yet, you have almost nothing to lose.

Thanks a lot for the response, I think I'll try to get the two we found to be fully generated before upgrading. We already hit the deep cave biomes because we set them to spawn a bit higher (all content is over -4000 for us, our idea of fun simply isn't digging tens of thousands of blocks into the ground)

If anything screws up too bad I'll let you know, if that would be of any help.

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Although I still haven't finished the major new version of CaveRealms yet, a visit to OldCoder's MoonTest server (which actually runs the mod! :D ), I found out two important things:
1. CaveRealms was incompatible with Moontest, and
2. CaveRealms had huge potential for griefing in creative mode.

So, this update fixes both of those things, AND optimizes to prevent crashes in Minetest 0.4.11. So, to recap:
CaveRealms now checks to see if the game being played is Moontest, and if so, changes to support it better. (This includes integration of moontest:stone, fixes to caverealms:constant_flame caused by the lack of fire in Moontest, and integration of moontest:vacuum.
Spawners for fortresses and fountains from the Dungeon Master biome/realm have been removed from creative inventory, and automatically remove themselves if placed outside the DM realms.
CaveRealms' 2D noise for biomes has been tweaked to use a z value of 1, preventing potential crashes from the changes in 0.4.11 to perlin noise.

Keep spelunking!

LanceJZ
GitHub: Lancejz
In-game: Purple

by LanceJZ » Post

This sounds like it would go great with the game I've started on. I'll be keeping an eye on it.