[Mod] Parachutes [0.1] [parachute] – bug fixes and crafting

Post Reply
User avatar
webdesigner97
Member
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:16
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

[Mod] Parachutes [0.1] [parachute] – bug fixes and crafting

by webdesigner97 » Post

Tired of smashing on the ground after jumping from your skyscraper?

This mod is a work-in-progress, allowing players to use a parachute to slow down their free falls to enjoy the view.

Hold it in your hand while falling and open it with a left-click. You will be immediatly slowed down and you can land without HP loss on the ground.

Image

Download: Stable, unstable
GitHub: Repo
License: WTFPL

Known bugs/issues:
  • Parachute speed very unstable when opening; I'm working on a workaround for a feature the engine doesn't provide: player:getvelocity()
  • No texture for parachute entity; They will be added later
Last edited by webdesigner97 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 16:45, edited 3 times in total.

bajanhgk
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 16:31
In-game: bajanhgk
Location: The World Of Darkness

Re: [Mod] Parachutes [parachute][0.1]

by bajanhgk » Post

pics pls
Just a Loner In the Winds which Blow Endlessly towards Death

User avatar
Evergreen
Member
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 01:22
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen
Location: A forest in the midwest
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes [parachute][0.1]

by Evergreen » Post

Very cool idea! I also agree about the player:getvelocity thing. And even better, player:setvelocity.

User avatar
webdesigner97
Member
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:16
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes [parachute][0.1]

by webdesigner97 » Post

bajanhgk wrote:pics pls
No textures, no screenshots ;) Later...

User avatar
webdesigner97
Member
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:16
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes [parachute][0.1]

by webdesigner97 » Post

Evergreen wrote:Very cool idea! I also agree about the player:getvelocity thing. And even better, player:setvelocity.
Yep... I pushed a workaround to the mod's repo, but it seems unstable... I tries to calculate the velocity using delta_s / delta_t on each server step...

User avatar
Evergreen
Member
Posts: 2135
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 01:22
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen
Location: A forest in the midwest
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes [parachute][0.1]

by Evergreen » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:
Evergreen wrote:Very cool idea! I also agree about the player:getvelocity thing. And even better, player:setvelocity.
Yep... I pushed a workaround to the mod's repo, but it seems unstable... I tries to calculate the velocity using delta_s / delta_t on each server step...
Yes, that was suggested, but it really isn't a very viable option.

User avatar
Wuzzy
Member
Posts: 4060
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 15:01
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Parachutes [parachute][0.1]

by Wuzzy » Post

Suggestion for a crafting recipe (depends on wool and farming):
W W W
W X W
S X S
W = White Wool
S = String
X = nothing
Yields 1 parachute.

I hope this is not too far-fetched. ;-)

User avatar
webdesigner97
Member
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:16
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes [parachute][0.1]

by webdesigner97 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Suggestion for a crafting recipe (depends on wool and farming):
W W W
W X W
S X S
W = White Wool
S = String
X = nothing
Yields 1 parachute.

I hope this is not too far-fetched. ;-)
Yes, something like that seems realistic, I'll just make it use a bit less wool ;)
Btw, I just pushed an improvement of the workaround... The speed it returns still is very unstable and changes while holding W, but it's a beginning. The approach was just to calculate it using v = Δs/Δt

Edit: Pushing the recipe now, but Github doesn't respond :/

Edit 2: Now it's online...

User avatar
Krock
Developer
Posts: 4562
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 07:48
GitHub: SmallJoker
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by Krock » Post

I get an Access Violation when I touch the ground. Outdated MT build or modding issue?
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

User avatar
philipbenr
Member
Posts: 1688
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 01:56
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi
Location: United States

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by philipbenr » Post

Hey Krock,
Using your new builds, I keep getting those access violation errors. I think that a new build would help, because I don't get them in 0.4.10...

User avatar
webdesigner97
Member
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:16
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by webdesigner97 » Post

philipbenr wrote:Hey Krock,
Using your new builds, I keep getting those access violation errors. I think that a new build would help, because I don't get them in 0.4.10...
I also don't have this problem :/

User avatar
webdesigner97
Member
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:16
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by webdesigner97 » Post

Does anyone have experience with the "wielditem" visual for entities? There's no real documentation about it...

User avatar
Krock
Developer
Posts: 4562
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 07:48
GitHub: SmallJoker
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by Krock » Post

Code: Select all

-    visual = "wielditem",
+    visual = "cube",
Node-like
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

User avatar
webdesigner97
Member
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:16
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by webdesigner97 » Post

Krock wrote:

Code: Select all

-    visual = "wielditem",
+    visual = "cube",
Node-like
Yes, but how to use it? Just setting visual = "wielditem" results in what you can see in the current Git version...

User avatar
Krock
Developer
Posts: 4562
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 07:48
GitHub: SmallJoker
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by Krock » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:Yes, but how to use it? Just setting visual = "wielditem" results in what you can see in the current Git version...
I meant, you should replace the "wielditem" with "cube", which results in this:

Image
(The crashing bug has been solved)
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

User avatar
HeroOfTheWinds
Member
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 23:16
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero
Location: Hawaii

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Who on earth needs 65,435 parachutes???

Anyway, I like this mod, and look forward to seeing it progress. Maybe I'll test it later and perhaps add it to SkyTest. Seems to fit in well, no?
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

User avatar
webdesigner97
Member
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:16
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by webdesigner97 » Post

Krock wrote:
webdesigner97 wrote:Yes, but how to use it? Just setting visual = "wielditem" results in what you can see in the current Git version...
I meant, you should replace the "wielditem" with "cube", which results in this:

Image
(The crashing bug has been solved)
If you think that a 1m^3 cube of wool slows you down ;)

User avatar
webdesigner97
Member
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:16
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by webdesigner97 » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:Who on earth needs 65,435 parachutes???

Anyway, I like this mod, and look forward to seeing it progress. Maybe I'll test it later and perhaps add it to SkyTest. Seems to fit in well, no?
Feel free to do so :) But pls remember that it's still kind of unstable... This mod is also a demand to the devs to finally implement a player:getvelocity() method!

User avatar
HeroOfTheWinds
Member
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 23:16
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero
Location: Hawaii

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

webdesigner97 wrote: Feel free to do so :) But pls remember that it's still kind of unstable... This mod is also a demand to the devs to finally implement a player:getvelocity() method!
If you get your own get_velocity() method working well enough, consider making a pull request. The devs certainly like any help they can get!
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

User avatar
webdesigner97
Member
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:16
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by webdesigner97 » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:
webdesigner97 wrote: Feel free to do so :) But pls remember that it's still kind of unstable... This mod is also a demand to the devs to finally implement a player:getvelocity() method!
If you get your own get_velocity() method working well enough, consider making a pull request. The devs certainly like any help they can get!
The problem is that the Lua method I hace here is very unstable (as you might experience when having opened the parachute multiple times)...

User avatar
Krock
Developer
Posts: 4562
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 07:48
GitHub: SmallJoker
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by Krock » Post

webdesigner97 wrote:<snip>

If you think that a 1m^3 cube of wool slows you down ;)
Yes, if it gets moved 3 nodes up, so it's on top of a player. That would look more realistic.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

User avatar
webdesigner97
Member
Posts: 1327
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:16
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97
Location: Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: [Mod] Parachutes; crafts, bugfixes [parachute][0.1]

by webdesigner97 » Post

Krock wrote:
webdesigner97 wrote:<snip>

If you think that a 1m^3 cube of wool slows you down ;)
Yes, if it gets moved 3 nodes up, so it's on top of a player. That would look more realistic.
That's a thing I'm trying to do, but it doesn't want to work as I want it to :( It always sticks to the player, even if I change the vectors in set_attach()... Maybe because it's not attached to a bone?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests